Alex Ferguson Documentary

Made out he experienced terrible sectarian abuse from the club, when infact it was only 1 question from 1 director.

Made out he experienced terrible sectarian abuse from the club, when infact it was only 1 question from 1 director.
He should have lamped the cnut. Thankfully all those wee dinosaur types are a dying breed, although there used to be guys on here who criticised Barry Ferguson for marrying a Catholic too.

It’s desperately sad people are still dredging up , point scoring over a whole perceived “ religious divide “ in a country that the vast majority of people no longer care about religion and of the ones who do claim to a tiny percentage actually bother attending a place of worship or take it remotely seriously . Statistically Scotland is heading rapidly towards 80% secularism .

A director made a socially embarrassing comment to ferguson about where he got married , that’s on the director and it’s on ferguson that he didn’t tell the guy to mind his own fcking business as he’s said himself he should have . Sixty years ago ffs , is this really worthy of discussion ? He’s clearly been encouraged to put that on film as it generates a wee bit of controversy , why else would it be included apart from to play up to old stereotypes .
This isn’t news except for people who feed off reasons historical or otherwise to latch onto hating one club , people who literally live off talking/writing about a “ sectarian divide “ that for most of us doesn’t exist .

The day can’t come quick enough for me when we are free of all this chronic proddy/Catholic patter once and for all , there’s only one football team in Scotland who seem remotely religious driven and it isn’t Rangers .

I am near sure he once stated he would have taken the managers job had Willie Waddell offered it to him instead of John Paton.
Willie Thornton also told him not to leave as change was coming in shape of Waddell as manager.

I am near sure he once stated he would have taken the managers job had Willie Waddell offered it to him instead of John Paton.
Willie Thornton also told him not to leave as change was coming in shape of Waddell as manager.
Scott Symon told him Waddle was still pulling the strings when he was offered the job by Paton, had Waddell offered him the job he would have accepted. He grew up a nine iron from Ibrox and was on the terrace every other Saturday, his dream came true when he pulled on the light blue jersey, his failure as a player is what drove him in management, he has stated he winds his son up when we thrash the rattlers, he’s a bluenose and always will be.

When you actually read that article , it’s far more balanced than the tiny clip spiers posted . Ferguson comments that the players were great and none of them were interested “ in that kind of thing” . He makes it clear the directors comment was a one off snide remark .

I was quite surprised when I seen the clip of him discussing the cup final and saying he wanted to stick the knife into us. I remember watching a documentary about the battle of Britain against Leeds and Ferguson was on it saying he was in our dressing room afterwards with the players enjoying the songs.

Getting punted by us clearly still eats at him.

The guy has always had a big ego, seems even with his age and health problems he needs to be the centre of attention.

As for the stuff with his wife, its sad he still feels the need to talk about this after all this time.

He seems to have a good relationship with Walter and Archie but not with the club and definitely not with the fans. Maybe that’s because he knows we saw through his pish about being bombed out of Ibrox because his wife was RC.

I haven't seen the whole thing but if his comments aren't followed up with some balance and how society and the club have moved on, then it's by design. Pretty sad really as I had noticed some softening in his attitude towards our club with some nice words in more recent years.

Deflection from his failure at Rangers. I've read his books and he's quite open he'd use deflection after a bad result to heat off the players. I have no doubt he's using the same tactics for himself.

I haven't seen the whole thing but if his comments aren't followed up with some balance and how society and the club have moved on, then it's by design. Pretty sad really as I had noticed some softening in his attitude towards our club with some nice words in more recent years.
It’s not anywhere near as bad when you see it in the full context of the interview . Says he loved the players and still supports Rangers against Celtic but he looks for the Queen’s Park result . Nothing about the sheep

Yeah says Spiers who couldn't take it anymore at Ibrox and bailed out over to the Jimmy Savile Dome, to instead drown himself in the murderous hymns of hate towards British people, to regale in the joy at the slaughter of British women and children, and all to the clink of coins in the collection tins to fund the terrorist killers wreaking mayhem throughout our unsuspecting cities.
This, whilst dozens of children in the depths of that club's social folds were screaming as their innocence was ripped from them by a circle of dedicated and organized pedophiles as the upper echelons looked away or covered for their hundreds of crimes.
Yet, none of that particular stench even teased his socially well-attuned discerning nostrils?

Irony not so much, more the weasel words of a sophistic scoundrel dredging the gutter of a debased journalistic narrative.
not to forget their treatment of Stein who was never invited on to their board solely because he was a protestant..not that I am defending or feeling sorry for Stein ...but maybe Speirsy should go with that on his next article ...or will we get the Whataboutary stance ?

Scott Symon told him Waddle was still pulling the strings when he was offered the job by Paton, had Waddell offered him the job he would have accepted. He grew up a nine iron from Ibrox and was on the terrace every other Saturday, his dream came true when he pulled on the light blue jersey, his failure as a player is what drove him in management, he has stated he winds his son up when we thrash the rattlers, he’s a bluenose and always will be.
Spiers was a Rangers fan. Ferguson as far as I can tell from memory and looking back stopped having any real attachment to Rangers the day he left.

This reflects very poorly on the Club and will be viewed by millions of people.
Don’t know why he felt the need to drag it up now, clearly no friend of ours.

In them days if he had been married in the pineapple he would of had a full house at Ibrox telling him at ever home game too, using his own words ..... %^*& off!

I remember when Rangers signed him, believe me he wasn't that good that why he left as he was not always in the team?

He also had a pub at the time at Goven Cross I think it was run by his brother, most of us punters went across the road to Baxters, as he wasn't liked!

The word on the street at the time in Manchester was Busby and Ferguson's wife went to the same pineapple together? ..... Thus saving his job as his jacket was on a shaky nail at the time?

How a few games changed his and Man Utd history somebody must have been doing a lot of praying for him?

A lot of seethe in this thread towards the greatest ever football manager, odd behaviour.

Not sure why you’d see that as odd? This isn’t a Man U forum. This guy beat us regularly for league titles and cup finals and has had remarked about 60 year old bigotry at the club on several occasions as if it a still a problem today. The man’s a prick and I say that as someone who has met him many times.

This reflects very poorly on the Club and will be viewed by millions of people.
Don’t know why he felt the need to drag it up now, clearly no friend of ours.
Guess for something to be viewed by millions of people it is inevitable that some event that was going to capture interest was always going to be included. I have not watched it but would imagine the reason behind his departure from St Mirren was not covered.

not to forget their treatment of Stein who was never invited on to their board solely because he was a protestant..not that I am defending or feeling sorry for Stein ...but maybe Speirsy should go with that on his next article ...or will we get the Whataboutary stance ?
I am sure a good few of their players such as Gemmell were given the 'Orange Bstrd' treatment in the dressing room after games were lost, plus I remember a story about Bertie Auld and another Protestant player getting sent back from a tour of the US after they got drunk and sang the sash or something along these lines.
I am sure the Gub will have the details.

I am sure a good few of their players such as Gemmell were given the 'Orange Bstrd' treatment in the dressing room after games were lost, plus I remember a story about Bertie Auld and another Protestant player getting sent back from a tour of the US after they got drunk and sang the sash or something along these lines.

Maybe you should read his comment that he's only really a Rangers fan when we play and beat that mob to wind up his Celtic supporting son. Tell me anyone else that supports the team only on those occasions.

Also as regards Waddell do you not think that with his power at the club that he would have sanctioned the move for Ferguson, whether the approach came from Paton or Waddell. Or is that Ferguson trying to justify to the fans and himself a reason why he knocked us back, he was a grown man, the offer was there, he declined, what ever the reason he knocked back the chance to manage the club that he was supposedly a big fan of. Ferguson will play up certain aspects of his time at the club when it suits Ferguson.

In them days if he had been married in the pineapple he would of had a full house at Ibrox telling him at ever home game too, using his own words ..... %^*& off!

I remember when Rangers signed him, believe me he wasn't that good that why he left as he was not always in the team?

He also had a pub at the time at Goven Cross I think it was run by his brother, most of us punters went across the road to Baxters, as he wasn't liked!

The word on the street at the time in Manchester was Busby and Ferguson's wife went to the same pineapple together? ..... Thus saving his job as his jacket was on a shaky nail at the time?

How a few games changed his and Man Utd history somebody must have been doing a lot of praying for him?
What absolute pish regarding Busby and Mrs Ferguson going to same church to save SAF job. The man who protected SAF was Bobby Charlton who convinced the board to stick him because of his work with the young players.
We accuse the bheasts of making up things.

Anyone watched this yet?

Thought he came across very negative towards Rangers and seemed very resentful. Thoughts
Where can you watch it mate? Google says not available until 29th. Cheers

Their ex keeper John Fallon (the old nutter on twitter) was a sectarian bigot who would regularly abuse the Protestants in the team. Stein called him a bigot and ended up banning him from the stadium after he left the club.

''There was even an episode when Stein turned up at my house and called me a bigot. He also said ‘The fans don’t want you and I don’t want you.”

Regarding the documentary -- I saw Peter Martin getting all excited about this recently and as soon as I saw the trailer I knew why.

Last edited:
I don't believe Spiers was ever a fan, indeed I don't think he has ever been a genuine football fan, he knows fckall about the sport.
I would challenge every claim he makes about attending Ibrox as a boy.
He is a well-known liar.
Picture of him in his younger years in a Rangers strip. May never have been a regular at Ibrox mind you.

People who make a living out of football think differently from us ordinary fans.
None of them will experience the same kind of highs and lows following a football club stand for.
Not making it at Rangers is SAF biggest regret no matter how successful he has been and this may come out anytime he talk about Rangers.
Still I mantain he remains a Rangers fan to this day but you can also argue that after all those years there Man Utd is his team.

Where can I watch This? Can’t see anything online
Look movies

Or something like that.

The comment made to Ferguson - however embellished it has been for this doc - was very much a product of its time and needs to be seen in that context.

The fact the director is his filth-supporting son means this has been magnified and given a status beyond its reality. The comments by Cathy herself - ‘I didn’t enjoy the time when he was at Rangers’ - indicate that perhaps this incident has grown arms and legs in Fergies mind over the years married to his ‘devout Catholic’ wife.

As make no mistake, Rangers are enemy #1 for ‘devout Catholics’ in the WoS.

Regardless of the comment and how it affected him, he’s had some life as a manager. Don’t like him but have endless respect for what he’s achieved

I don't believe Spiers was ever a fan, indeed I don't think he has ever been a genuine football fan, he knows fckall about the sport.
I would challenge every claim he makes about attending Ibrox as a boy.
He is a well-known liar.
Spiers is too posh, too middle-class and self-effacing to have ever been a proper football fan.

Ridiculous that he ever achieved the relative status that he had over the late 90s/early 00s.

His digging and influencing - in cohorts with Alex O’Henly - and being lended the ear of Gerhard Kapl at UEFA still rankles with me to this day.

Hullo Hullo corduroy bhoy

I love these threads, seeing all the older bears debating about stuff from their youth ...... it’s like like a history lesson - enjoyable reading.
old enough to have seen him play ,just wasn’t Rangers class that’s why he left .the whole catholic thing ,I’m sceptical it happened . Rangers paid a record fee for him at that time . I think they would have known everything about him before they bought him .

Look movies

Or something like that.

The comment made to Ferguson - however embellished it has been for this doc - was very much a product of its time and needs to be seen in that context.

The fact the director is his filth-supporting son means this has been magnified and given a status beyond its reality. The comments by Cathy herself - ‘I didn’t enjoy the time when he was at Rangers’ - indicate that perhaps this incident has grown arms and legs in Fergies mind over the years married to his ‘devout Catholic’ wife.

As make no mistake, Rangers are enemy #1 for ‘devout Catholics’ in the WoS.

Regardless of the comment and how it affected him, he’s had some life as a manager. Don’t like him but have endless respect for what he’s achieved
What a man cheers.

My old man knew a guy who was friends with a Protestant who played for them in the 60s, the player said at times he was so disgusted at the bile from certain “Sellik minded” players that he had to leave the dressing room.

He makes reference in this clip that he was asked if he and his wife got married in a chapel and he replies , no we got married in a registry office. He then goes on to say that he should have told them to %^*& off and that he let his wife down there because she was a devout catholic.

surely he let his ‘devout ‘ catholic wife down by not getting married in a chapel , Rather than letting her down by not telling a rangers director to fuk off. what ‘ devout ‘ religious person would agree not to have a religious wedding anyway. So I doubt she is. In those times , many mixed marriages were in registry offices because each refused to get married in each other’s church so a registry office was a compromise. So if this was the case with Fergie , then it makes him a hypocrite with his comments.

I think the man talks a lot of crap.

Too much good press for us lately got to get some negative rangers news out. How many years ago was this ffs, imagine even brining it up. I can only imagine some of the things said at his precious Aberdeen and Man U but he keeps them ones to himself im sure.

Back