Alex Lowry - A star is born

It was clear from the post-match that GVB is very happy with Lowry but also recognises his 'naivety of youth', he'll see game time to aid his development but maybe not as much as some are expecting. Excited to see what Dave Vos can do with him, King and others yet to step up.

What a fantastic player this boy is!

He's got a huge future at Rangers!
Maybe but assuming everyone is fit hes not going to play, such is the problem for young guns like him.

Loaning him out to a Scottish Club would be a waste and hes unlikely to get regular games down south so either Gio bucks the long established trend or...

Hands up, I got it wrong. Not in terms of Lowry's ability but tonight's game went exactly as I expected. I thought the pressure from the crowd, and the fact he was the only playmaker in midfield, was asking too much of the lad.

He showed tonight he has what it takes in terms of personality and mentality to make it at Rangers. His ability was never in doubt.

Sakala the main man for me tonight though.
Pretty much said the same thing after the match. The kid has huge balls. The Ibrox crowd was even more anxious and critical than usual last night, certainly around me anyway and he showed for it time after time.

Some gig that, sit and slaughter the team every week then get the flags and smoke bombs out when we win the league. Weirdo bastards.

Plays like a Spaniard.
JuanS%C3%A1nchezVilla-LobosRam%C3%ADrez.jpg

I’m not getting carried away just yet. He had some nice touches, but he hardly controlled the midfield. And its annoying when he goes for short corners every time with Tav. Much better to be just off the 18 yard line. Also, he tends to get brushed off the ball sometimes by opponents. Compare how Kamara last night held the ball up and rarely lost it, except one time when 4 Livi players around him. Sure, potential there, but let’s not place too much pressure on the kid.

I’m not getting carried away just yet. He had some nice touches, but he hardly controlled the midfield. And its annoying when he goes for short corners every time with Tav. Much better to be just off the 18 yard line. Also, he tends to get brushed off the ball sometimes by opponents. Compare how Kamara last night held the ball up and rarely lost it, except one time when 4 Livi players around him. Sure, potential there, but let’s not place too much pressure on the kid.

Nonsense, the boy has exuded sheer class over his 2 appearances.
Should have had 2 assists but for poor finishing last night, and kept showing and producing moments of skill. He'll open up defenses.
Obviously has some developing to do physically, but he has all the tools to go to the top. We need to get him tied up on a long-term contract asap.

I love the confidence and touch Lowry has on the ball. Natural talent, creative and intelligent movement too. Very encouraging indeed, as is the fact that GVB is giving him a chance in the team, it’s a positive sign for other talented academy youngsters. I know that Aribo is absent and Hagi injured which has led to this chance for Lowry, but the manager trusted him enough to put him in the squad and play him when he could have opted for “easier” more experienced options such as Arfield, Lundstram etc. Well done GVB.

Bags of potential, looks to have all the tools to become a top player. Still development to be done though, will be exciting to see how it plays out. Games against bottom 6 at home should be ideal for him

If we'd signed an International midfielder in the break and he put in a performance like young Lowry did tonight, we'd all (quite rightly) be going nuts about what a player we'd signed.
This boy is something very special!
Nail on the head. He could easily have had 3-4 assists. Funnily enough I said in the match thread before the game started he’d get a hat trick of assists, tongue in cheek but I did fully expect him to create real chances and he did.

Last edited:
The best player on the pitch tonight by a distance. He's going to be fun to watch before some English team pays £30m for him in a few years.
In all seriousness if he had been in the team a couple of months back and playing like this, the window might have some clubs taking a chance on him.

High hopes for him, the last 2 games show he is worth a place in the squad for the reminder of the season.
@LenzieLoyal are you Alexs Dad? You've liked every post, thought the wee man was from Uddingston :))
Aye he is mate. He is a really nice kid. Some player and a huge bears fan.

I think we need to be cautious with him and phase him in to the 11 over the season. Dont pile pressure on him and allow him to come to terms with the physicality and learn from the aribo's and arfields in the squad.

Decent 2 appearances so far. However, folk need to reign In their expectations of the kid. He will need introduced gradually n looked after still.
Is there anyone in world football better at developing young kids coming through than Ajax? And we now have an assistant manager plucked from that very set up, so I'd say he's in very, very good hands.

Of course its only been two games, but its exciting to see young players the club have developed getting a chance to play, learn and grow in experience.

There will of course be ups and downs, same as any player, and we as a support need to realise that's all part of player development and offer backing, not grumbles.

We've been down this road with youngsters many times before, hopefully this time its different.

Well played Alex Lowry.

He's 18.

Last season when we were so far ahead was the perfect opportunity to play youth we just can't afford it at the moment,it's far to close this season as much as I hate to say it they smelly bastards are far more consistent

This habit in a lot of the 'senior' players has been a bugbear of mine for a long time, passes being played 1yard behind, making players on the run stop, get closed down and turn an attacking move into a ball played all the way back to the keeper.

Lowry has an eye for an effective attacking pass, puts beautiful weight on it too.
The art of passing.
Often mistaken for players being able to hit a cone.

And has been playing the equivalent of junior football up to now. The step up has been massive and he coped fine.

At that age he is still obviously raw with a tonne of improvement still to be made, but that comes through hard work on the training ground and experience of playing games.

Good thing is our management team are Dutch who love bringing through youth. Our assistant in particular, was coach of the Ajax youth team, they are exactly the type of people we want to bring Lowry, and others, through.

When he goes short it brings a Livingston player out the box with him. Lowry isn't likely to win a towering header in the box, so it makes sense for him to come to short.

And has been playing the equivalent of junior football up to now. The step up has been massive and he coped fine.

At that age he is still obviously raw with a tonne of improvement still to be made, but that comes through hard work on the training ground and experience of playing games.

Good thing is our management team are Dutch who love bringing through youth. Our assistant in particular, was coach of the Ajax youth team, they are exactly the type of people we want to bring Lowry, and others, through.
Any player with the amount of touches Lowry have will lose possession at times so anyone giving him stick for losing it is being very harsh. To me it just points to him being very brave to always show for the ball.

He thrives when he has the ball at his feet facing forward. You could see Livingstons tactics of trying to force him on the back foot turning away from attack and thats credit to the boys ability. Real talent who i hope is managed properly on and off the field. I think that is now his time to go and grab the starting shirt.

We shouldn’t be fazed about his age, top talents all over Europe are starters at 18. The lowland league might be low quality but it‘s perfect for toughening up these young players. If Lowry can handle those conditions and an above average SPL side, I’d say he’s now first team squad material. A new deal for this boy, to avoid another Gilmour, will genuinely be as good business as we could do this window. Scouts will be sniffing already, guaranteed.

Spot on Barry, he couldn’t be in better hands at 18yo.

I’ll hold my hands up and say I was a bit nervous seeing him in the starting 11 tonight before the game.

It’s one thing to look a player against a 4th tier team but another to look as good against premiership teams.

Shows how much I know. Terrific game again from the lad.

He’s not pushing Aribo out of that number 10 slot any time soon, but absolutely no reason why we can’t see plenty of him between now and the end of the season - especially with the 5 subs.

I said a few days ago that if Gio was willing to play him then it was up to AL to take his chance. He has done just that.

Well done. Great performance and proved he belonged there.

Lad needs time to develop-same people on here raving about him will judge exactly the same type of performance in a draw or defeat as being some fantastic moments but not enough overall.

Clearly has masterful natural ability but the % of players we've developed with this is miniscule.

What impressed me most was his awareness to allow the ball to run in front of him when receiving the pass, too often we see players slow the game down by taking a touch when not needed.

I said a few days ago that if Gio was willing to play him then it was up to AL to take his chance. He has done just that.

Well done. Great performance and proved he belonged there.
Absolutely.

A lot of our support seem scared to give an 18 year old kid a chance to play.

Alex clearly isn't phased by it and it looks like Gio has faith in him.

The kid's good. Of course he has a lot to learn but the best way to learn is to play with the best players. Give him the ball and let him play.

The thing that stands out to me is he plays with his head up and he’s confident on the ball even though he only 18. Boys a talent and can go a long way if he applies the talent correctly. His weight of pass is great as well, always plays it in front of the player he’s passing to.

Back