Alex Lowry getting runner up medal

"Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser" - Vince Lombardi, 1960's (NFL all time great coach )

Actually thought this was something that Souness quoted, but not sure, this is the attitude required at Rangers, not one of just being happy to be there.
This is true and maybe something the fans themselves need to consider when demanding they are acknowledged at the end of the game.

I absolutely hate this new trend of folk doing that. Don’t like it and think it’s purely for camera.

Have no problem if he chooses to do that with his own medal once he’s in dressing room. That said, only my opinion and won’t be dwelling on it or giving him any flak. Hope he has a gold one he can keep on today.

I didn't watch the medals being given or the trophy.

So did the rest of the players keep theres on? Should we be raging at them?

Really is a nothing story/incident and means hehaw as to their winners mentality whether they kept them on or took them off straight away.

The camera didn’t linger on him for long but after young Alex got his medal presented to him he looked as though he couldn’t get it off his neck quick enough.

Suggests to me this wee man is a winner and didn’t want some runner up shite burning his neck. Or maybe he felt that it wasn’t earned as he didn’t play. Either way it suggests he has exactly the type of character that we need.

Anyone at the game notice this?
I did and thought the same- was probably pissed off that he didn't get any minutes...so far he looks the best we've developed since Ferguson. That's taking nothing away from king who all pros rave about, I'm just an auld geezer who watches the games and I love what I see in Lowry

It’s a personal thing I guess. They would all have been gutted on the night, and probably felt like losers. Maybe in time they will see the bigger picture.

I notice the Olympian comparison on the thread. I guess it’s like an underdog somehow winning an Olympic silver. To achieve a runners up medal given our recent circumstances is an outstanding effort from the lads.

"Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser" - Vince Lombardi, 1960's (NFL all time great coach )

Actually thought this was something that Souness quoted, but not sure, this is the attitude required at Rangers, not one of just being happy to be there.
The Aussie swimming coach at the Olympics said, the silver medal is the first of the losers.

Disappointed after losing a final and taking your medal off is perfectly acceptable. Throwing it in a bin is disrespectful and childish. Looks and sounds pretty staunch but I’d wager none of the folk on the this thread would do it. Take it home and put it in the living room.

Disappointed after losing a final and taking your medal off is perfectly acceptable. Throwing it in a bin is disrespectful and childish. Looks and sounds pretty staunch but I’d wager none of the folk on the this thread would do it. Take it home and put it in the living room.

If you really don't want it, give it to someone else at the club or a kid. Throwing it away is embarrassing.

Not that young Lowry did this btw but people have in the past.

It doesn't really tell you anything other than he was upset and disappointed. Probably like most of the players.
I think he prob didn’t think like he was that deserving of a medal be it runner up or winner. (Not my view) but many players who are part of the squad have said repeatedly that although the wider squad is important they don’t really feel like they earned it.

I know you often see fancy flicks and skills from players at half time or warming up etc but Lowry twice done some we flick move with the ball at half time that baffled me. Was so impressive to wrong foot the guys he was passing between twice. He just looks an absolute baller to me with balls the size of King Kong.

I really do suspect in 5-6 months we may all be looking back at the final in Seville and wondering what if the wee man got 20 minutes in the extra time period when the game got unbelievably stretched.
I still think "What if" about Zenit, I suspect it's going to be even worse with this one.

probaly dissapointed the manager did not trust him,seeing arfield sands and a half fit ramsay get on and he is left on the bench kicking his heals ,after his performance at tynecastle last week when he outstanding ,he deserved minutes on wednesday

The rest of that quote is:

“But show me a gracious loser and I’ll show you someone who will always be a winner.”

Which is the opposite of chucking your runners up medals away.

He should start today and earn a winners medal. Runners up medals are for losers...i wouldn't have wanted it either

Good old FF, we had a thread yesterday from someone raging about it.

Now today we've got someone praising him for it.
People that rage about players not giving a damn about their losers medals, are losers themselves.

Probably one of those that ask at PTA meetings that all kids be given inclusion medals.

Winners only here.

No problems at all.Who the f uck would want to put a losers medal in the their livingroom and having the daily constant reminder?Alex Lowry will have a winners medal round his neck tonight.

We covered this.
I have no problem with what he done.
If it was me, I'd have done the same.

All this "it's not the winning, it's the taking part" is for romantic clowns.

You fcuking take part to win. He did the right thing.
Agreed. It’s a silver medal in what is a two horse race on the day. It’s not a silver medal in a 100m final with 8 folk.

I'm sure Souness threw a runners up medal in the bin at Rangers. Someone will post the story.
That's what I was thinking about when I read the title of the post. I see nothing wrong with what Lowry did.
So far since the Europa final on here ,there's been posters attacking the supporters for not singing enough and attacking the players.

There's been more negative posts on here about us than even in the media and that's saying something.

I have a different take on it, I think players should keep their runners up medals on and take them off in the dressing room. Yes 2nd is just that, but the gesture of pulling a medal off does not make you a winner.

In that 2nd place medal are the scalps of Borrusia Dortmund, Braga, and RB Leipzig etc. Hard won by the players, and by the fans who shelled out a small fortune supporting the team home and away this season.

To be fair he played no part in our European run so maybe just something as simple as that but it’s not even conversation worthy is it ?

I'm fine with him doing that.

Poor performance from the team and second is nothing. I feel his anger and frustration.

I also hope he was pissed off at not getting any game time. Gio messed up with his subs. Lowry was a better option to have put on. Gio got that wrong.

Tbf I'd feel a bit of a brass neck taking a medal in a game and campaign I didn't contribute to - so don't blame him. And also, runners up medals need to get in the bin more generally. Winning breeds winners so today's cup final is so vital. Hopefully he's pulling on a winners medal today!

Hope to see him pick up a winners in the near future now the dust has settled I can see us getting to another Euro final in the next 5 years
If we play the ins & outs well this summer then I don’t see why not.

There’s a strong core there in the squad and if we can tap into that then there’s every chance of kicking on to even greater things.
Good old FF, we had a thread yesterday from someone raging about it.

Now today we've got someone praising him for it.
To be fair… the OP was fairly shot down on that one!

The camera didn’t linger on him for long but after young Alex got his medal presented to him he looked as though he couldn’t get it off his neck quick enough.

Suggests to me this wee man is a winner and didn’t want some runner up shite burning his neck. Or maybe he felt that it wasn’t earned as he didn’t play. Either way it suggests he has exactly the type of character that we need.

Anyone at the game notice this?
Another thread the other day was saying it was terrible. Your take is 100% better.

Id have played himin the final at some point. Foir today Id love to see him start - this lad along with the others are our future and should be played in front of others who have no future at the club.

If you really don't want it, give it to someone else at the club or a kid. Throwing it away is embarrassing.

Not that young Lowry did this btw but people have in the past.
I played in a regional final losing on PKs.
Wanted no part of the medal being draped over my neck. Told the local dignitary I’d injured my neck and I gave it away to one of the local kids who had worked as a volunteer during the match day.
If he hadn’t of been there the medal probably would’ve ended up in the garbage bin.

It was just so bitter about losing.

Have to laugh at all those saying that the runner up medal is nothing. In the emotion of the night maybe but in the years to come they will treasure it as part of their achievements as they will never get close to that level in the competition again. What our team did to get there was phenomenal. They should be proud of a medal that reflects that.

Back