Alex Lowry

I hope this boy gets more game time to prove if he can do it against harder teams. He looks the part and he could have a great future with us.

Anyone know why McCann and King were on the bench at Aberdeen but not Lowry?

Could be just a position thing, quite surprising though.

With the 5 subs rule I’d be getting him as much game time as we can.

Most likely positional, McCann is the deeper one.

Be interesting to see what Gio does with Lowry. If he plays more than 5 times then he can't play for the B team in the Lowland League so for his development he would need to get a lot of minutes for the first team. Kevin Thomsons comments after the game were interesting for me where he said he's constantly on at the club asking for players on loan wonder if the club might send him there?

Footballs moved on from them it's faster more physically then you have the pressure's of social media fan expectations.

While I agree he looks like he's going to be a very good player Gio isn't going to burden him with being the creative force in the next 4/5 games. Look how good Forden was he's probably the best example of how to look after a young player. We can use 5 subs now which is s game changer there's scope to give him plenty minutes. But just blindly throwing him in to big league matches is unfair we have an impatient fan was that would expect instead success or he'd be written off as not good enough.
Wee Willie and Pele played in an era when they had no protection whatsoever. Defenders were basically trying to assault and maim them.
Todays players have it easy by comparison, if they’re not in the first team by the time they reach 19 or 20 they should be released or sold.

Yeah, think he could develop into a cracking player. It was his positional awareness that impressed me the most. Someone earlier commented remember who it was we were playing against, which is true, but you can see this boy has quality!
Other one is spatial awareness was impressive so drifting into gaps and knowing where others were. L. So quality was poor but playing your debut for Rangers at that age didn't seem to phase him. And his smiling wee face at the end was brilliant.

A classy finish from Lowry last night and showed some flashes of talent.

Re: his position - is he more of a ten in the Hagi mould? Or box to box? Felt like he had a role pushed up against the Stirling back line so he could drop into pockets of space and link up.

Needs more time and chances, ideally more home games against teams lower in the division - then work up to big games.

Up until I heard Lowry speaking in his post-match interview, I had it in my head that he was from Northern Ireland.

That (false) memory has been with me since we won that Alkass youth tournament 2 or 3 years ago. If it wasn't Lowry who was the Norn Iron talent in that Alkass winning team, who was it? Anyone know?

Up until I heard Lowry speaking in his post-match interview, I had it in my head that he was from Northern Ireland.

That (false) memory has been with me since we won that Alkass youth tournament 2 or 3 years ago. If it wasn't Lowry who was the Norn Iron talent in that Alkass winning team, who was it? Anyone know?
Either Charlie Allan (now at Leeds) or Chris McKee (now back at Linfield).

The star of that tournament was Kai Kennedy though.

Charlie Lindsay.

Not really had a great season, he’s only 17 though so plenty of time and with him being one of the younger ones it’s understandable.

He was actually the one I was the most excited for this season.

Drug test required here. You know it was Stirling Albion? Looked good but you do realise the numbers Hagi delivers.
I wouldn’t be starting Lowry but hagi’s not been delivering this season, he only has like 2 goals and 1 assist in the league this year. Been very underwhelming after a good season last year.

No way. We can't afford to keep anyone as good as him.

Way of the world now. Second class country, second class football.

Would not be surprised if he kept his place if Ianis is out - again. If he was semi-regular in the side between now and the end of the season and performed in the way that he most certainly can?

I've got the fear already. Gilmour was a punch in the gut & Patterson was a hoof in the scrotum.

We might be the Rangers, we might have a massive support, and we might have a stadium that anyone would be proud of - but the big nations and UEFA have conspired to make sides in places like Scotland, Belgium, Portugal, Netherlands, etc. nothing more than feeder clubs.

Everything to the rich, and two fingers up to the poor.

Sorry if I'm derailing this thread with my scepticism and predictions of future heartbreak, so here's a song.

AAAAHHHHH gonnae no dae that! Didn't even play the song but it is in my head now. I'm Gonnae be singing that damn song all day now.:mad::)

Would not be surprised if he kept his place if Ianis is out - again. If he was semi-regular in the side between now and the end of the season and performed in the way that he most certainly can?

I've got the fear already. Gilmour was a punch in the gut & Patterson was a hoof in the scrotum.

We might be the Rangers, we might have a massive support, and we might have a stadium that anyone would be proud of - but the big nations and UEFA have conspired to make sides in places like Scotland, Belgium, Portugal, Netherlands, etc. nothing more than feeder clubs.

Sorry if I'm derailing this thread with my scepticism and predictions of future heartbreak, so here's a song.

Gilmour was definitely a sore one as Chelsea nicked him so young, but what happened with Patterson is exactly what we need to look to be doing.

Interesting hearing Andy Littles comments on RTV.

When Lowry came on he was very excited and confident that the young lad was going to perform well.
Then when Lowry was settling into a good game Little said something like there’s more of that to come if McCann gets on.

I’ve a feeling in the next few years the Academy is about to pay off big time.

Can remember him coming on as a sub as a skinny wee boy with long hair at the Alkass cup a few years back now. Think he was playing a few years above his age group at the time, but could tell his technique and the way he played on the ball was just a bit different from anyone else on the pitch. Reckon it just comes naturally to him, can see him having a bright future in the game.

Can remember him coming on as a sub as a skinny wee boy with long hair at the Alkass cup a few years back now. Think he was playing a few years above his age group at the time, but could tell his technique and the way he played on the ball was just a bit different from anyone else on the pitch. Reckon it just comes naturally to him, can see him having a bright future in the game.
He's the kind of player I like to watch. Silky is probably the best way to describe him, or maybe cultured. If he can add hard work and dedication throughout his career he had a real chance.

Derek johnstone scored a cup final winner aged 16. Pele scored in a World Cup final aged 17.

Lowry is 19 soon. What’s this over protective need we seem to have about young players? It’s a nonsense. Big Hateley said in his book if you want to be a really top player you should be playing regular first team football by that age.

We have a young midfielder who looks to me a cross between big Rabiot at PSG and wee Modric and yet still people want him put back in the B team to play clachnacuddin rovers because he’s not 21 and 14 stone yet. Mental
In my previous post I refrained from comparing him to Modric as probably would have been slated, but his style of play is very similar.

Looking forward to seeing him again against a better team.

As with everything it's all about development and selling for big fees if we get a couple of years out of him and £15m-£30m fee we will have done good always a big disappointment to lose talents especially homegrown but there's also an excitement around the clubs model coming to fruition and seeing what talent we can bring in when we have implemented it in the long term

I think the point some are missing here is, Hagi went off with injury. He may have been sitting watching and thinking, damn I need to do better here or I can lose my place. It may well light a rocket up his @rse to do better knowing now he has competition

Extremely excited about Lowry. He looks like a very unique player. The 5 subs rule should see him get plenty of minutes if we are smart

Problem is the model English clubs have adopted now.

Any young player up here with anything special about him and the mobs in the real British league have so much money 6-8 weeks of impressive displays could lead to an English side pulling out £10/15mill - buttons - and that's that.

Big leagues and UEFA have set things up in a way where £10mill in England is £500,000 in Scotland.

They've conspired to make us the juniors of the European game and we're on the level of a feeder club, as are big clubs in the Netherland, Belgium, etc. - The Juniors of European football for all eternity.

Why should we settle for that? Our potential is absolutely strangled and the only idea I have is a league combining smaller countries to make a serious competition.

As the Stranglers said, something better change. We deserve better than watching bang average Leon Balogun in the bang average Europa League.

We Deserve Better
Your right that if £10m is bid we would accept but that's good money the club could invest in 2/3 players to strengthen us if required the footballing landscape will change but not anytime soon

My biggest hope is at least 3 home nations qualifying for the World Cup.

Because the US/UK waded into something that had nothing to do with them there's about a dozen countries there now. Even tiny ones where North and South split.

Any of them miss out narrowly while Scotland and Wales get in with England and they'll be going bongo in their funny language and writing to FIFA in back to front letters because it's 1 country and 3 teams.

If they'd let Milosevic and Arkan get on with killing everyone that wasn't a Serb it'd be much more simple.

But anyway, get some psycho Serbs to force a British team and a British league would surely have to follow?
I mean our own political situation in Scotland means a British league is impossible until that changes more likely us and the other mob are aloud into the English pyramid like some of the Welsh clubs

Problem is the model English clubs have adopted now.

Any young player up here with anything special about him and the mobs in the real British league have so much money 6-8 weeks of impressive displays could lead to an English side pulling out £10/15mill - buttons - and that's that.

Big leagues and UEFA have set things up in a way where £10mill in England is £500,000 in Scotland.

They've conspired to make us the juniors of the European game and we're on the level of a feeder club, as are big clubs in the Netherland, Belgium, etc. - The Juniors of European football for all eternity.

Why should we settle for that? Our potential is absolutely strangled and the only idea I have is a league combining smaller countries to make a serious competition.

As the Stranglers said, something better change. We deserve better than watching bang average Leon Balogun in the bang average Europa League.

We Deserve Better
Rules changing in 3 years. You can't have any more than 6 players on loan or loaned out. English teams have have 15+ on loan because they can stockpile players. Might change.

Hate to say I told you so but…… I TOLD YOU! :D

Seen loads of the B team this year and the boy is sensational.

What the kids got you cant teach.

Can he do it against better opposition? Only one way to find out. Get him in there and lets find out.

Watched lowry quite a bit and his style of play is different from the majority of players in this country he is a cracking wee player and a reckon he will fetch us an absolute fortune in a couple of years

I’d be very tempted to get him very involved in the team from now on. Playing as a 10 he could do very well, we don’t have many players like that.

Watched lowry quite a bit and his style of play is different from the majority of players in this country he is a cracking wee player and a reckon he will fetch us an absolute fortune in a couple of years

I know it was only Stirling Albion, but I was very impressed with him on his first team debut. Some of his touches and flicks were sublime, not something I’d expect from a young Scottish player breaking through. I also loved to see him demand the ball, shows he wasn’t scared to take ownership. Hope he can continue to be involved for the rest of the season.

I know it was only Stirling Albion, but I was very impressed with him on his first team debut. Some of his touches and flicks were sublime, not something I’d expect from a young Scottish player breaking through. I also loved to see him demand the ball, shows he wasn’t scared to take ownership. Hope he can continue to be involved for the rest of the season.
I’d be gutted if he doesn’t at least have a place on the bench for tomorrow

Back