Alex Lowry

It’s started already :)) let the boy enjoy last nights performance and not put him under pressure, because the first time he has a stinker the knives will be out.
Noticed after I posted that he should be in instead of Hagi :) Why put extra pressure on a youngster and potentially unsettle a senior player after the very first decent appearance? The manager and coaches will manage him.

He definitely looks comfortable on the ball. But i'm reluctant to read too much into this until he has done something similar against something that isn't a part time league 2 club.

Cannot describe how buzzing I am for him. So excited that he’s finally getting his chance, will be the next big youth graduate for Rangers if he keeps working hard. There hasn’t been a more naturally technically gifted midfielder in the academy for years and years.
Yes there has. Gilmore. We also have a few other candidates to show their face.

People downplaying his performance due to who we were playing seems very harsh. You can only beat what's in front of you and in a game with not many stand out performers he was brilliant.
Exactly mate and bet you if he played for that lot they already have as the next some big name player

The difference today for youngsters like Lowry, compared to say, in Baxter’s day, is that the young boy was up against a packed defense. In my day, most teams attacked at Ibrox, such as Motherwell, and didn’t sit in. This created space for talent like Henderson and Baxter to be seen in full flow. Lowry, instead, was confronted with a maze of players, 5 at the back, which is very difficult to break down, even with the likes of Albion. So, he did well, but will need first team experience, which is not going to be easy. Dedication, hard graft, and possibly we have the making of a great player.

I don't think his performance should be downplayed just because it was Stirling Albion. Lowry has been playing in the Lowland league so it's a step up for him playing against Stirling Albion, I thought the young guy didn't look out of place and didn't do his chances of more game time any harm at all, I enjoyed his performance

Don’t see him making it in the game to be honest.

Far too small.

Absolutely delighted for him, dream debut.

He looked class as soon as he came on. Tired a bit in the second half but perfectly understandable.

Gio and the team won’t let him get carried away. Now he’s had a taste of it they’ll make sure he works as hard as he needs to.
Hopefully those first 2 sentences are intended to be an attempt at ironic humour.......
.....if not, it's time to get out of the 1970's mate. Football has moved on.

Most time when i read a detailed match report of the B team or even before in the unders, the mentions are always praising him, his slightness seemed to be the issue in going forward but he must have been working on that because he was not Zalalem skinny as i was expecting, looking forward to him and King (who also looked unfazed and calm) around the 1st team, well done guys.

The way he took his goal was simply class.. That to me would say he is ready.. Let's get our young lads playing
I don’t understand people panicking about him only being 18 give him time etc. He’s 19 soon, Derek johnstone scored in a cup final at 16, pele played and scored in a World Cup final at 17 . Lowry is old enough so if he’s good enough he should play , it’s as if some people will think boys have a nervous breakdown if they are under 21 and in our fist team. If Hagi isn’t back for the Livingston game then Lowry must play it’s a no brainer

I don’t understand people panicking about him only being 18 give him time etc. He’s 19 soon, Derek johnstone scored in a cup final at 16, pele played and scored in a World Cup final at 17 . Lowry is old enough so if he’s good enough he should play , it’s as if some people will think boys have a nervous breakdown if they are under 21 and in our fist team. If Hagi isn’t back for the Livingston game then Lowry must play it’s a no brainer
Even if Hagi is fit, I'd still play the boy.

Hagi has had umpteen chances to grab games by the scruff of the neck and show us what he really can do this season and has failed to take his chance.

And I say that as someone who loves Hagi's vision.

Excellent debut from young Lowry.
Definitely looks a player.
I hope we have him signed up on a long term contract.

He’s got character, which a lot of young players don’t. Even just his crazy hair tells you that. He probably takes pelters for it but has enough swagger and confidence in himself that he does not give one single fnck. This translates into his football.

He’s got character, which a lot of young players don’t. Even just his crazy hair tells you that. He probably takes pelters for it but has enough swagger and confidence in himself that he does not give one single fnck. This translates into his football.
According to heart & hand car pod last night you are wrong on the swagger and confidence stuff. One of the podders daughters was seeing Lowry for a while and she finished it because he was a total bore and just stayed in playing computer games all the time:D. To be honest I was glad to hear it, shows he’s not an idiot getting up to all sorts. Wonder if the lassie is regretting it now he looks like he’s going to hit the big time

According to heart & hand car pod last night you are wrong on the swagger and confidence stuff. One of the podders daughters was seeing Lowry for a while and she finished it because he was a total bore and just stayed in playing computer games all the time:D. To be honest I was glad to hear it, shows he’s not an idiot getting up to all sorts. Wonder if the lassie is regretting it now he looks like he’s going to hit the big time

Actually now you say it he could pass as a gamer haha

The debut, the goal and the motm is the easy part :) The hard work starts now, getting that first start.
Would I start him if Hagi doesn’t make Wednesday? Of course But he now needs to get at least half a dozen games either from the bench or staring and build on it.
Young local Lads coming into the team give the support a boost, just look at this thread.

I loved the way he came on and stroked the ball about. Confident in possession. Well impressed. But I won't get carried away with myself cause I had big hopes for Jamie Barjonas after a couple of tidy showings.

Exactly what you want to hear as a Rangers supporter.

Not likely to piss his talent up against a wall like so many before him.

The bone done good!

It was refreshing, to say the least, to see young Lowry display his range of talents last night, made the game worthwhile if we're being honest.

He has the confidence in himself that is absolutely necessary in any youngster that's going to make it. He reminded me of a young Derek Ferguson in the way he receives the ball, he's already decided what he's going to do with it.

The other thing that stood out was his willingness to pass the ball forward instead of constantly making the safe pass.

Is he ready for a run in the side? Probably not, just yet, but he should certainly be on the bench and used wisely by Gio.

I think gio might do similar to what pep has done with foden he's not going to chuck him in at the deep end like some lunstics are suggesting but I could see him getting minutes here and there and moving up permanently to the first team dressing room

Drug test required here. You know it was Stirling Albion? Looked good but you do realise the numbers Hagi delivers.
Here we go again, stats stats stats.

Give us some credit for being able to judge a player without always having to revert to stats.

Hagi is ineffective for the most part, whatever his stats say. A squad player, for sure but never a starter if we have a full compliment.

I think gio might do similar to what pep has done with foden he's not going to chuck him in at the deep end like some lunstics are suggesting but I could see him getting minutes here and there and moving up permanently to the first team dressing room
Derek johnstone scored a cup final winner aged 16. Pele scored in a World Cup final aged 17.

Lowry is 19 soon. What’s this over protective need we seem to have about young players? It’s a nonsense. Big Hateley said in his book if you want to be a really top player you should be playing regular first team football by that age.

We have a young midfielder who looks to me a cross between big Rabiot at PSG and wee Modric and yet still people want him put back in the B team to play clachnacuddin rovers because he’s not 21 and 14 stone yet. Mental

Last edited:
He may feature a lot going forward. The increase to being allowed to make 5 substitutions will give him and others opportunities.

Just waiting on lazy journalist headlines tomorrow guaranteed .Lowry "what an impression" or other artist related tosh
Just seen an article with an ex SFA coach, now Dundee Utd academy manager getting his bit in how he developed Lowry and Gilmour. You’d think these guys would give our own coaches some credit. But that’s the SFA for you

Well done to him .He had a great game after his early intro
He was putting some of our established squad to shame ,even before he scored.
Big future ahead for him and was clearly loving it in the interview
Congrats young man ,a star in the making

My lad said he played amazing and voted him MOTM. Youngsters like Lowry should be given that chance if they show great game and passion, and last night thats just what the wee man did! Bet he was bouncing last night!

Derek johnstone scored a cup final winner aged 16. Pele scored in a World Cup final aged 17.

Lowry is 19 soon. What’s this over protective need we seem to have about young players? It’s a nonsense. Big Hateley said in his book if you want to be a really top player you should be playing regular first team football by that age.

We have a young midfielder who looks to me a cross between big Rabiot at PSG and wee Modric and yet still people want him put back in the B team to play clachnacuddin rovers because he’s not 21 and 14 stone yet. Mental
Footballs moved on from them it's faster more physically then you have the pressure's of social media fan expectations.

While I agree he looks like he's going to be a very good player Gio isn't going to burden him with being the creative force in the next 4/5 games. Look how good Forden was he's probably the best example of how to look after a young player. We can use 5 subs now which is s game changer there's scope to give him plenty minutes. But just blindly throwing him in to big league matches is unfair we have an impatient fan base that would expect instead success or he'd be written off as not good enough.

Last edited:
Back