Alex Penman (Plean RSC)

Craigie

Just heard that Alex Penman, who may be well known to many here , passed away on Friday.

He ran the Plean Supporters bus for many years.

His patter was awful and his singing rank rotten but like the rest of us be was a proper and passionate Ranger.

Those who played amateur and Sunday League in the central region will.be all too familiar with his "relaxed" refereeing style!

Others may have seen him in the BBC Scotland documentary "The Falkirk Cowboys" about the factory workers who made films in their spare time.

By Christ be was a character.

Another who will be upstairs cheering us on to 55. Sadly all too crowded up there.

Sleep well Alex, it was great knowing you

Last edited:
Very sorry to read this. Knew Alex for many years through Rangers and him refereeing local amateur and welfare games.

RIP.

That's a shame. I remember he was a ref at a few of my youth team games years ago.

Always laughed when I seen him ref games involving a certain celtic minded pub team from Alloa. They always got nothing from him!

Went to Paris with the Plean bus in 1989, for a1990 WC qualifier, and a few home games against the scum, in the early 90's. Can't remember who ran the bus then, as it was a mate of my Dad's that got us the seats.

RIP Alex

RIP.

I used to go on the Plean bus with my Dad as a 10-12 year old. The bus I went on later in my twenties/thirties was a spin off from that bus around 2008 onwards.

just some info on Alex, he was stranded in Egypt right at the start of lockdown and was there for at least 2 months.

Still trying to get more details but he had to attend hospital a few times after finally getting home, so don't know yet if it was complications with the virus yet or not.

He was 78.

He was a survivor of the Ibrox disaster as well.

Was on the Plean bus a few times in the 80’s when it used to stop in denny, (lion and Dragon pub) a good guy.

just some info on Alex, he was stranded in Egypt right at the start of lockdown and was there for at least 2 months.

Still trying to get more details but he had to attend hospital a few times after finally getting home, so don't know yet if it was complications with the virus yet or not.

He was 78.

He was a survivor of the Ibrox disaster as well.
@HMS.Temple.Garden Tried to DM you as I wasn't sure you had heard but said I couldn't. That may have been down to me.right enough.

If I'm not speaking out of turn in here I've been told it was down to his lungs packing in.

Sad news, my late dad knew Alex well, although to be fair most bears through our way did, the BA cowboys documentary was great watch and brought back memories of my dad having a blether with him at the games about the team or BA stuff (my dad worked there too), my Granda also worked with him in the BA and played a tiny part in one of the films, Alex was a character and a half and it shone through in the documentary.

Condolences to his family and friends from all of us at Camelon RSC.

That's a real shame.

I travelled with the Plean bus to a pre season tour in Switzerland and Germany in the 80s and also to a sleepy wee European tie in Dublin. Alex was the person we contacted and couldn't have been more welcoming.
Strangely, there was a post on here the other day about could we win the 93 CL final and I was going to post that I phoned Alex just before our last match against CSKA to book a seat for the final if all went to plan. I never thought I'd ever have the chance to ask anyone that question.

Best wishes to his loved ones.

RIP Alec always an experience having him referee our games as a boy. Seen him still refereeing the 6 a side leagues in Cumbernauld last year as well. Top man.

Very sorry to hear this news. Used to travel on the Plean bus during the 80’s and early 90’s whenever I down from Stornoway. A very nice man.

When Alex came to Thornhill to referee I don't think he ever made it out the centre circle lol.

An all round good guy and respected ref in the Forth & Endrick League.

Sad news.

Alex was the referee the night the OP and I both got the thrill of playing on the Ibrox pitch in a supporters club game in 2002. A really nice guy and great sense of humour.

The list of Absent Friends for the toast the night we win 55 just got longer.

R.I.P Alex , you were responsible for a lot of young guys travelling safely , home and away to support Rangers , your enthusiasm for Rangers was infectious.

When Alex came to Thornhill to referee I don't think he ever made it out the centre circle lol.

An all round good guy and respected ref in the Forth & Endrick League.
That sounds about right!

I remember my wee cousin talking about him refereeing their kids games - under 12's or so - and he said Alex would stop the game and do magic tricks in the middle of the pitch!

Sad news indeed, he was always one of those guys who I seemed to bump into at away games. I remember Alex well in his role running the Plean bus. Helped us a few times back in the day with spare tickets.
RIP Alex

I never knew the guy but I remember my brother in law mentioning his name more than once, he sadly passed away almost a year ago.
He was from Plean & a good bluenose Billy Swan, he moved to Falkirk long time ago but he always said Plean when asked where he was from
RIP both of you

Sad time for all Central Region bears. We have now lost all the great characters who ran most of the local buses for many a year.
Alex (Plean)
John McCallum (Stirling)
John Talbot (Alloa)
Archie Bone (Fallin)
All great bluenoses who lived and breathed Rangers.

I travelled on the Plean bus many times during the 80's with Alex always selling his 'last' scratch card and playing X and O's on the steamy windows. I also had the pleasure of Alex refereeing many games when I played with Braehead in the Sunday league, with Alex in his own inimitable style, asking players which team they supported before giving any decisions. Fond memories.

Rest in peace Alex
From all your friends on the David Miller Memorial RSC, Stirling.

Sad time for all Central Region bears. We have now lost all the great characters who ran most of the local buses for many a year.
Alex (Plean)
John McCallum (Stirling)
John Talbot (Alloa)
Archie Bone (Fallin)
All great bluenoses who lived and breathed Rangers.

I travelled on the Plean bus many times during the 80's with Alex always selling his 'last' scratch card and playing X and O's on the steamy windows. I also had the pleasure of Alex refereeing many games when I played with Braehead in the Sunday league, with Alex in his own inimitable style, asking players which team they supported before giving any decisions. Fond memories.

Rest in peace Alex
From all your friends on the David Miller Memorial RSC, Stirling.
Those and others who have passed on but who helped young and old going to games and who taught the young all about The Rangers.

Many glasses will be raised in their memory come 55.

Back