Alex Thomson Ch4 - Investigating Celtic Boys Club

Digby Brown have already had a successful case with them on this. Won the abused person a six figure sum.
That's good to hear Grigo, I got a six figure sum over 8 years ago for a physical injury, this is much, much worse. I got three times what every Solicitor I contacted said I would get.

They are definitely the very best at what they do mate.

The connection with the other one and a certain radio station has never sat well with me. They sponsor the enablers and the solicitors sponsor their phone in, which is pro mentally challenged and has them as the majority of callers.

Its too close for comfort in my opinion.

That's good to hear Grigo, I got a six figure sum over 8 years ago for a physical injury, this is much, much worse. I got three times what every Solicitor I contacted said I would get.

They are definitely the very best at what they do mate.

The connection with the other one and a certain radio station has never sat well with me. They sponsor the enablers and the solicitors sponsor their phone in, which is pro mentally challenged and has them as the majority of callers.

Its too close for comfort in my opinion.

Absolutely HVS. It’s a very uncomfortable country to live in nowadays.

But that chick lawyer ran rings round them in court so she’s proven your point. Forget her name. Kim Leslie or something like that.

Absolutely HVS. It’s a very uncomfortable country to live in nowadays.

But that chick lawyer ran rings round them in court so she’s proven your point. Forget her name. Kim Leslie or something like that.
Yes Grigo they are head and shoulders above the rest, ironically I had a guy called Tim who was superb, absolutely beyond all expectations.

I know this isn't all about financial recompense, justice is way more important but what better way to hit organisations where cash is king than hitting them financially. The bonus is that the Solicitors fees are massive in these cases, sometimes as much as double the award.

This makes it extremely expensive and I for one don't the fancy group actions that the SNP are trying to get through their "parliament", individual cases incur massive expenses. Group actions far less.

TIME FOR CELTIC TO GIVE UP IT’S SECRETS?
Whilst updating my World of Sport Hall of Shame post I stumbled across a small mention of two men linked to Celtic FC youth football team and allegations of abuse, so I decided to look in to it. What I’ve read makes me very uncomfortable in so far as it comes across as Celtic attempted damage limitation and their PR screamed of an attempt to keep a lid on what seems to have been a hornet’s nest of abuse spanning decades.

I believe that behind these initial trials hides a massive web of depravity that needs further investigation. The lack of convictions and proper sentences stinks. Feel free to take this info and build on it. The victims involved were denied any real justice and it’s time to right a wrong. Either Celtic were extremely unlucky in regards to their staff’s sexual proclivities, or something more sinister was going on. The question is, who else was involved?

Celtic Boy’s Club

Founded in 1966, the Boy’s Club was a separate entity to Celtic FC but was allowed to affiliate via the name courtesy of Jock Stein. It went on to produce some good Scottish footballers. In 1998, Alan Brazil, James McGrory and David Gordon (three former members of Celtic’s Boy’s Club), gave evidence against Jim Torbett (the Boy’s Club founder) during a trial where he was accused of abusing them between 1968-1974. Torbett was eventually found guilty of child sexual abuse at Glasgow Sheriff’s Court and was given a two year prison sentence.

Jim Torbett

Torbett was a successful businessman who founded the Celtic Boy’s Club aged just 20. The court heard that he was a predatory paedophile who would prey on young boys that he coached and invited them to his flat in Sighthill, Glasgow. Torbett ran The Trophy Centre which supplied goods to Celtic’s shop, had his own seat in the Parkhead director’s box and at one point looked set to become a director but plans fell through. Following his dismissal in 1972 following allegations of sexual abuse, Frank Cairney was asked to replace him. Two years later (and after Stein’s departure) Cairney organised for Torbett’s return to the club to act as a fundraiser but not to have any contact with children. However, new allegations quickly surfaced.

Soon, more complaints were levelled against Torbett, including boys being taken to non-existent tournaments. One ex-boys’ club player said: “There was one in Spain when we never kicked a ball yet we were told to phone the sports desks of papers to say we won.

“I can remember lying that we played Real Madrid and Tommy Burns scored.”
Torbett’s companies:

• Centenary Scotch Whiskey Ltd
    • The Trophy Centre
    • Planrole Ltd
    • Fairbridge in Scotland = this company is described as ‘social work activities without accommodation. Adventurous experiences to advance education and training of children, young persons, physical, mental and spiritual development and grow to full maturity as individuals and members of society, condition of need and hardship in United Kingdom. A registered charity, limited by guarantee‘. Included within the list of directors is Sir William McAlpine – brother of Alistair.
  • Frank Cairney
    Cairney joined the club in 1970 as a general manager and part-time coach. He resigned in 1991 following allegations of abusing the Celtic’s youth goalkeeper during a trip to New Jersey. Openly known as a molester in youth circles.

The Trial – November 1998

The seven day trial was held at Glasgow Sheriff’s Court in front of Sheriff Margaret Gimblett in November 1998. As well as Brazil, Gordon and McGrory, a fourth former youth player, John McCluskey.

John McCluskey... disclosed being abused by Torbett. Unfortunately the court could not hear his evidence as the abuse happened during a trip to Norway. McCluskey later said during an interview:

“My guilt and shame now is not for what happened that night. My shame is that I waited 23 years to do anything about it. “Dunblane was the one thing that made me come forward. If some of the boys abused by Thomas Hamilton had spoken out, perhaps the massacre might not have happened.”
    Alan Brazil… told the court that following an assault at Torbett’s flat he never returned there. He then questioned whether his rebuff may have been the reason why he was never offered a contract with Celtic FC despite scoring a record number of goals for them. (Brazil went on to play for Scotland).

David Gordon… recounted how he was assaulted during his first visit to Torbett’s flat. It was following a second visit when Torbett made an indecent suggestion to him that Gordon decided to quit football for good.

Thats just a snippet from that link

Last edited:
In all seriousness it doesn't sit easy with me that this is used for point scoring over that mob.. I dont think it's anything to be shouting about tbh. No matter who is guilty of it .

Point scoring? F*cking point scoring? If I hear this one more time I will scream.

If it wasn't for the so called point scoring this would have remained hidden, exactly where Celtic want it to be.

The interesting part of tonight's report for me is that Thomsons represent over 30 victims. We have heard there is over 100, if this is the case I hope and prey the rest of the victims are with Digby Brown. I know from experience that these guys are the firm to be represented by. They are the very best, without question.

They also would never do their talking in the media, they do theirs at the Court of Session. They are super efficient and by far the best Solicitors of their type in Scotland.

I know from experience that anyone facing them would rather be facing other Solicitors. Which makes me hope and prey that they are representing some of the victims.

Without being derogatory to the other Solicitors these guys will get the victims justice and more importantly I know they will look after them after the Court Case finishes.

With all that said, no matter the Solicitor I pray that all the victims get justice and some sort of closure. My ex wife was a victim of Child Sexual Abuse and I know how this dispicable crime affects the rest of their lives.

In my opinion murder is more humane.
Thing is mate, as much as I'd like them all to come forward. I know they wont. These will be grown men now with families and taking that into consideration, they probably wont want to drag their families into it, which it will do. I feel for them, they are in a horrendous position.

In all seriousness it doesn't sit easy with me that this is used for point scoring over that mob.. I dont think it's anything to be shouting about tbh. No matter who is guilty of it .
if your first reaction to this is "point scoring' then it's this attitude that's allowed systematic child abuse to be covered up ffs. Anyone who cries about "point scoring" first should have their hard drive checked and social services called.

Thing is mate, as much as I'd like them all to come forward. I know they wont. These will be grown men now with families and taking that into consideration, they probably wont want to drag their families into it, which it will do. I feel for them, they are in a horrendous position.
Me too mate, I know their situation is thousands of times worse than my own, with multitudes of more complex issues.

I know, well I've experienced the fall out and aftermath of these sub human bastards, it's a lifelong nightmare for the poor people who are at the receiving end and their families and friends.

I just hope that CH4 broadcasting this highlights the issue to a much wider audience. The more it becomes common knowledge across the UK, the more chance of proper justice being served for the victims of the "club like no other"

The vile, subhuman pieces of filth could not have coined a better phrase for their sordid club if they had tried.

Get it to Adidas please mate ? Mosset Bear & a few others behind the scenes have been pursuing them.
Get it to Adidas please mate ? Mosset Bear & a few others behind the scenes have been pursuing them.
And I'll get it off to the New Balance rats later today Grigo. Working atm.
Maybe they'll finally take note, but I won't hold my breath. They seem dead inside.

How can anyone of sane mind say Celtic Boys Club and Celtic FC are not linked regarding the abuse?

The protection of boys (or lack of) and promises I presume of a first team place with Celtic FC if the boys committed sexual acts with the coaches is no longer an open secret but an open truth.

it's not an apology for what happened. It's an apology for being caught. Do you honestly think there would be any apology, or Celtic willingly admitting that there was a cover up or that the abuse took place? even now, after being told yes, your club and the boys club are one and the same, your club is complicit in the cover up of a paedophile ring, they are still shutting their eyes, fingers in ears screaming "la la la la la!" And shouting from the rooftops " ah but... Ah but".
Their vile support care not a single jot about victims or their families. They only care about making sure "ra huns" are dragged into it and that absolutely nothing will stop 10iar*.
I hope for absolute justice for these poor people no matter the club it happened at.

They've been 'caught' dozens of times over decades, they don't care.

If Rangers have any involvement in anything like this, I'd expect us to accept full responsibility, that's the difference between us and them.

As scathing as the report was, it was Channel 4 news, the only thing that will properly expose them for being the abhorrent organisation they are is the worldwide exposure of law, and the compensation that these poor families deserve.

Point scoring? F*cking point scoring? If I hear this one more time I will scream.

If it wasn't for the so called point scoring this would have remained hidden, exactly where Celtic want it to be.
Absolutely agree. The only ones mentioning point scoring are the dubious ones who want it to stay buried. Fckn shocking mentality to suggest calling it out is point scoring. Every body no matter what colour, creed, religion or whatever team you support shout be calling this out at every opportunity.

Can they potentially be sued in the English courts that's the only way I see justice carried out if it's up here the cases will be heard by lord Seamus O"Haggerty

Is there anywhere I can watch these reports? Been busy this week and haven’t managed to catch them.

Lawwell apparently has been amassing loads of documents of evidence trying to get to the root of what went on at celtic over the years..........he calls it’s the “Peter Files” ;-)

I fear the investigation by the SFA will be a bit of a whitewash job but I think now with the pace this is now gathering it won’t matter as it’s going to be dealt with by the courts and the police.

one thing of note of the 2nd part of Thomson’s exposé was the mention of Rangers just at the start. I really hope our club has investigated thoroughly anything that could drag us into this. It would be good if we are able to document either by evidence or written testimony of people at the club at the time of any notice of impropriety by any of our staff. Any abuse is wrong but I get the feeling what has went in at Celtic park will ultimately be proven to be much worse than even the sickening acts of Bennel.

Ongoing I wonder how this will effect their ability to attract sponsors and players having this very dark cloud hanging over them.

A 30 minute documentary I've read on here.

You'd think there's more to come from C4 on this.

its great that it’s been highlighted nationally but still felt there was so much more not mentioned.

the fact the Torbett was sacked by stein despite it being a “seperate entity” and then re-employed is absolutely scathing but not mentioned by Thomson. 15 min piece is nowhere near big enough to get across how bad this was.

Curious to know who asked this Henry to be an advisor, the guy comes across as a paedo apologist

Some of our support will use it as point scoring. I can't help thinking that if this was Rangers that had behaved in this way, can you imagine the reaction from celtic supporters and the rest of Scottish football?

So with that in mind, %^*& them

Absolutely agree. The only ones mentioning point scoring are the dubious ones who want it to stay buried. Fckn shocking mentality to suggest calling it out is point scoring. Every body no matter what colour, creed, religion or whatever team you support shout be calling this out at every opportunity.
And can you imagine us using the same argument during the ebt fiasco as they used them too = point scoring. Nope don't think so.

Back