Alex Thomson Ch4 - Investigating Celtic Boys Club

Know one of the guys who is taking part in this show who has bravely waved his right to anonymity for this show. The guys abuse didn’t take place at Celtic boys club, he’s actually one of our own. However his abuse took place in a boys club out with Glasgow with no affiliation to any Senior team. He wants to highlight that abuse is widespread in Scottish football & his Hope is that the footballing authorities will accept the victims were let down by the games rulers.

‘Paedo Hunt
I very much doubt his claims about hunting down sex offenders. His time is probably mostly spent monitoring what bad things are being said about Celtic on the internet.
[
Know one of the guys who is taking part in this show who has bravely waved his right to anonymity for this show. The guys abuse didn’t take place at Celtic boys club, he’s actually one of our own. However his abuse took place in a boys club out with Glasgow with no affiliation to any Senior team. He wants to highlight that abuse is widespread in Scottish football & his Hope is that the footballing authorities will accept the victims were let down by the games rulers.

I think that’s true and more can be done on prevention at a higher level - same with the knife crime epidemic - but at the end of the day individuals and organisations must take responsibility for what they are guilty of. A generic ‘everybody was at it’ won’t wash - if that is the nature of C4 input then it will have little credibility. If C4 don’t nail it then others will, thanks largely to the work of some on this board and beyond.

The separate entity will most definitely be blown out the water G.W. has given an interview that will be aired by ch4, After first coming forward he was hounded out of Glasgow by certain Celtic minded zealots because he came forward, also states the proof that Celtic pick up the tabs for various things all connected to the boys club, not to mention allegations of paying off a mortgage for his parents will be included in the interview.
Justice will most certainly come for the victims sooner rather than later.

Who is GW?

I don't know what I'd do if this was us. I might continue to support the club but at the very least I'd want a proper public independent investigation to uncover the truth. I'd want an apology to those harmed & put at risk. I'd want the club publicly asking for everyone involved to cooperate with the investigation.

I'd want to know who knew what and when. Who were the Executives and Board Members that were made aware, or weren't made aware? Who authorised any payments or dealt with complaints? Who led the investigations that we're told took place? Who engaged the lawyers, insurers and PR people and what instructions were they given.

I'd want compensation and ongoing support for the survivors.

I'd want anyone who was involved in the abuse or cover up to be publicly removed from our history.

No stands & no hospitality rooms named after them, no hall of fame place, no pictures on our walls, or in our publications. Nothing. Sine die.

I hope the survivors get the justice they deserve, and I hope the people responsible for the abuse and cover up get the justice they deserve too.

I don't know what I'd do if this was us. I might continue to support the club but at the very least I'd want a proper public independent investigation to uncover the truth. I'd want an apology to those harmed & put at risk. I'd want the club publicly asking for everyone involved to cooperate with the investigation.

I'd want to know who knew what and when. Who were the Executives and Board Members that were made aware, or weren't made aware? Who authorised any payments or dealt with complaints? Who led the investigations that we're told took place? Who engaged the lawyers, insurers and PR people and what instructions were they given.

I'd want anyone who was involved in the abuse or cover up to be publicly removed from our history.

No stands & no hospitality rooms named after them, no hall of fame place, no pictures on our walls, or in our publications. Nothing. Sine die.

I hope the survivors get the justice they deserve, and I hope the people responsible for the abuse and cover up get the justice they deserve too.

The same way WWE have pretty much erased Chris Benoit from their history

Do you mind if I say something to that. Can I just remind you that there are victims and families that view this thread and comments like that help nobody.
Myself along with a few others have worked on this issue for probably over 2 years now and I can assure you that progress is being made. I obviously can’t tell you what to do or what to think, and fully understand that this is a forum for opinions.
I would just ask you if you would spare a thought for the people I’ve mentioned above that rely on us bringing their plight to the forefront.
I definitely know a lot more than you on this issue and if I could show the progress that’s being made then I would, but under no circumstances will we jeopardise the work that is continuing to get justice.
I hope you understand where I’m coming from.

Good post - to the point.

It frustrates the hell out of me hearing nonsense like that so often on this forum. Any victim or their families must feel it a thousand fold. Please give it a break guys. If that's your own thoughts...fine. Just keep this negative stuff to yourself.

Having said that, I do understand the posters frustration as we've all had to put up with it in so many ways through the last few years in particular, with nothing happening to that vile, disgusting club. Are they walking away from this though? No fecking chance.

After the survivors are finished with them and they've got the closure they need, which is by far the most important thing, I WANT THE PAEDO HARBOURERS DEAD AND BURIED! A few reasons for that.

Then? I WANT THE SNP DEAD AND BURIED!

That's all I ask. Please let it be so.

Well said my friend...outstanding post!

Neely came from Hibs.

John Chalmers was my school teacher mate, and there were no issues at our school with the guy whatsoever. In fact he ran the school football team I was in.

I do not know where the rumours about his behaviour came from, as they seem like slander on a man who is not now with us.
Pretty sure that the rumours came from the fact that the guy took his own life and as a result, any c u n t can say whatever they like about him, he's not here to defend himself. Actual facts and evidence don't seem to be a priority to these creeps.

Pretty sure that the rumours came from the fact that the guy took his own life and as a result, any c u n t can say whatever they like about him, he's not here to defend himself. Actual facts and evidence don't seem to be a priority to these creeps.

Yes, it’s a really shocking way to go about life mate, bringing innocent people into it.

You can’t help thinking that if he ever had any even questionable incident on something like this it would have been all over the school.

It’s not right.

Yes, it’s a really shocking way to go about life mate, bringing innocent people into it.

You can’t help thinking that if he ever had any even questionable incident on something like this it would have been all over the school.

It’s not right.
Had this out with a couple of mentally challengeds before.
Disgusting creeps trying to besmirch a mans name in a vain attempt to rope us into their criminal past.

Simply asked, if it was even remotely true why has not one person ever claimed to be a victim?

It's just like their mud raking they tried with Richard Gough and suggesting that Torbett was a plant that had worked with Rangers.

For a support who sing about knowing their history, they don't half hate being reminded of it.

My beef is more with the SFA than the tims. The Tim’s will be held to account for 50 years of cover ups, but, who is going to nail the SFA.

Some people want to blame everyone else, they have no concept of the consequences of their actions or inactions on others. Most worrying is that they just dont care ;(

Last edited:
My beef is more with the SFA than the tims. The Tim’s will be held to account for 50 years of cover ups, but, who is going to nail the SFA.

I asked both the SFA & the SPL/SPFL why no action had been taken against the Bheasts as the evidence has been out there for years. I highlighted the recent court cases & said even if you could justify not knowing previously what is stopping you dealing with that club now - no response whatsoever

Whatever happened to Mark Daly’s documentary? Last thing I remember was a bit of whataboutery on Twitter and nothing since

I asked both the SFA & the SPL/SPFL why no action had been taken against the Bheasts as the evidence has been out there for years. I highlighted the recent court cases & said even if you could justify not knowing previously what is stopping you dealing with that club now - no response whatsoever
They are the ones that should be held accountable First and foremost. They have done nothing. Zip. Its on their watch, they are the ever constant.

Had this out with a couple of mentally challengeds before.
Disgusting creeps trying to besmirch a mans name in a vain attempt to rope us into their criminal past.

Simply asked, if it was even remotely true why has not one person ever claimed to be a victim?

It's just like their mud raking they tried with Richard Gough and suggesting that Torbett was a plant that had worked with Rangers.

For a support who sing about knowing their history, they don't half hate being reminded of it.

Funny.

But you’re right. Let’s hope the world learns about their ‘history’ because it’s pretty ugly & immoral Gazza.

Hope I’m surprised but I find it difficult to believe this will be designed principally to benefit the victims. Most likely just widening the net of blame to deflect the focus from the main group of perpetrators and the decades of cover up.

The fact is they are actually hoping kids in our care were abused. Just think about that for a minute actually hoping young kids were abused just so you can say "see their just as bad"
Now that is sick.

I've pointed this out to a few people who were saying we were point scoring. They were actually embarrassed. They embarrassed themselves. "Good" upstanding regular attenders at their corrupt church.

You mean like any sane adult would be?

Great post and lines out exactly the way I feel. Plus, if I found out that we'd had a systematic process in place to hide the truth and harbor the guilty that ended up enabling further abuse, I would no longer support the club!

I love the Gers, I have since I was a wean growing up in Bishopbriggs. A big part of that love, as an adult now, is the honor and dignity that the club stands for. Without that, my love for the club would be diminished. With active criminal activity that harmed generations of youngsters? That love would be gone.

As any sane adult would say.

Last edited:

I don't doubt it for one moment that it involves clubs from different levels of football's hierarchy, and I would further guess it's widespread in sport in general and not just football. It would appear though that this abuse was undertaken by opportunists working alone who would select random kids that they came into contact with.
However, it has to be a particular focus of any investigation, enquiry, whatever we call it, that there is absolutely no doubt whatsoever that a certain club seemed to have had a paedophile ring operating within it, made up of guys co-operating in the vile practice, and to the knowledge of any number of officials and players of that club, over the course of at least 50 years with hundreds of alleged victims.
(I'm not suggesting that you are suggesting otherwise, BTW.)

The RC cult has been abusing children since it was formed

The cult believes saying a Hail Mary or some other chant in a confession box somehow absolves them of their sins

Even illegal child abuse seems not to be an issue as the leaders in Rome move the child abusers about to protect the name of the church and the abusers

What other institution in the East of Glasgow has a similar stance to protect their reputation and cover up and protect the abusers from the authorities ?

The parallel is sickening and it’s just a pity some of the mhedia didn’t have the balls to put that into the public domain

This is a huge factor. Its well documented that alot of abusers were themselves abused. The RC church has facilitated it for years and therefore the club associated with RC in the West of Scotland are going to have the same issues. The club could have saved alot of heartache for the victims and families along time ago and have simply resorted to denial mode to somehow try and protect the brand. I don't like the chants or even bring it up to their fans. That can easily be turned back on us trying to point score. Its alot bigger than football rivalries

You mean like any sane adult would be?

Great post and lines out exactly the way I feel. Plus, if I found out that we'd had a systematic process in place to hide the truth and harbor the guilty that ended up enabling further abuse, I would no longer support the club!

I love the Gers, I have since I was a wean growing up in Bishopbriggs. A big part of that love, as an adult now, is the honor and dignity that the club stands for. Without that, my love for the club would be diminished. With active criminal activity that harmed generations of youngsters? That love would be gone.

As any sane adult would say.
Correct, If roles were reversed our support might diminish and I would happily accept our commupence. Would I still be a fan? All hypothetical, what I will say is a global club like Man City have gone some way to right the wrongs of their past and despite some non related FFP carry on the future is bright and I've yet to hear a City fan give up on their team for their past or football commentator condemn their compensation and assistance to victims

Correct, If roles were reversed our support might diminish and I would happily accept our commupence. Would I still be a fan? All hypothetical, what I will say is a global club like Man City have gone some way to right the wrongs of their past and despite some non related FFP carry on the future is bright and I've yet to hear a City fan give up on their team for their past or football commentator condemn their compensation and assistance to victims
As far as I know, and please correct me if I'm wrong, City didn't have a systematic coverup that spanned 4-5 decades, multiple managers and boards, with them all in the know.

That's the scenario where I just don't think I could take any pride in calling myself a fan of such a club.

Your description? Yes. If the club did the right thing and hadn't been responsible for perpetuating the misery of generations of children, I could certainly still be a fan and support that club.

is anyone a subscriber, I can only read first part....

Compelling evidence for the existence of a cross-border paedophile network will feature in an official report commissioned by the Scottish Football Association, it has emerged.

An independent review into sexual abuse within Scottish football is expected to deliver its final report within weeks. However, Martin Henry, chairman of the review panel, has told Channel 4 News that “substantive” new evidence has emerged which suggested that some notorious predators worked together to traffick young players.

Last month The Times published allegations that Barry Bennell, a former scout with Manchester City and Crewe Alexandra, and Jim McCafferty, a former Celtic kitman and boy’s club coach, were part of an organised abuse ring.

Bennell, 66, is serving a 30-year sentence for abusing boys on an “industrial scale”. McCafferty,

Continue reading

is anyone a subscriber, I can only read first part....

Compelling evidence for the existence of a cross-border paedophile network will feature in an official report commissioned by the Scottish Football Association, it has emerged.

An independent review into sexual abuse within Scottish football is expected to deliver its final report within weeks. However, Martin Henry, chairman of the review panel, has told Channel 4 News that “substantive” new evidence has emerged which suggested that some notorious predators worked together to traffick young players.

Last month The Times published allegations that Barry Bennell, a former scout with Manchester City and Crewe Alexandra, and Jim McCafferty, a former Celtic kitman and boy’s club coach, were part of an organised abuse ring.

Bennell, 66, is serving a 30-year sentence for abusing boys on an “industrial scale”. McCafferty,

Continue reading

Its sickening the sentences the Scottish Judaical system hands out for paedophiles compared to other countries.

I’ve pasted The Times article below. The victim has also started his own thread on here regarding the C4 News story tonight.

Bennell, 66, is serving a 30-year sentence for abusing boys on an “industrial scale”. McCafferty, 74, was jailed last year for molesting youngsters over a 24-year period.
One survivor, Malcolm Rodger — who has waived his right to anonymity — has presented new evidence, claiming that he was abused separately by McCafferty and Bennell after being introduced to them by Bill Kelly, a former coach with the now defunct West Lothian team Uphall Saints.

Kelly, 84, was jailed in 1987 for sexually assaulting at least 12 players, including Mr Rodger, at the club over a 22-year period. He served one year in prison.

Mr Henry confirmed that his inquiry had received information which suggested that prominent abusers in Scotland and England had been working together.

“We do have substantive information to suggest that has been the case,” he said. “If you’d asked me that question a month ago I would have said no.

“There was no substantive information that we had at that time that suggested any kind of organised abuse between Scotland and England under the auspices of football.

“We have had recent accounts that suggests that was very much the case. These have been passed to the English FA inquiry.

“I’m fully confident that the English FA inquiry will come up with recommendations every bit as detailed and robust as my own.”
Mr Rodger, 49, from Glasgow, was subjected to two years of abuse in the mid-1980s after attending games, trials and tournaments in Scotland, England and Spain.

He said that Kelly and McCafferty, whom he recognised as the trainer of the neighbouring Fauldhouse United, abused him together many times.

A year later Mr Rodger accompanied Kelly on a trip to Blackpool, where he was introduced to Bennell.

Mr Rodger told Channel 4 News that the abuse he received at the hands at Bennell made him physically sick.

“The following day Bill Kelly told me, if anybody was to ask anything, just to say that I’d eaten something that hadn’t agreed with me at dinner,” he said.

Mr Rodger, a decorated former serviceman who served in Bosnia, Northern Ireland and in the first Gulf War, said that he hoped his decision to speak out would convince others to come forward.

“Everybody in Scotland knows that abuse has taken place but it’s different when there’s a face, there’s a name that’s telling them that I was abused.” he said.
Kelly, a former secretary of the West Lothian Association of Youth Football Clubs, denies having any connection with Bennell or McCafferty.

The SFA said that it was awaiting the findings of the independent review

Its sickening the sentences the Scottish Judaical system hands out for paedophiles compared to other countries.

for example how can you get just 6 years in Torbetts case for multiple sex crimes over decades including a sex crime against a 5 year old? Its disgusting and the Judicial system needs sorted or at least investigated. Why are we not seeing protests in the street regards why Scotland views these crimes so leniently?

over to you Humza Yousaf

I’ve pasted The Times article below. The victim has also started his own thread on here regarding the C4 News story tonight.

Bennell, 66, is serving a 30-year sentence for abusing boys on an “industrial scale”. McCafferty, 74, was jailed last year for molesting youngsters over a 24-year period.
One survivor, Malcolm Rodger — who has waived his right to anonymity — has presented new evidence, claiming that he was abused separately by McCafferty and Bennell after being introduced to them by Bill Kelly, a former coach with the now defunct West Lothian team Uphall Saints.

Kelly, 84, was jailed in 1987 for sexually assaulting at least 12 players, including Mr Rodger, at the club over a 22-year period. He served one year in prison.

Mr Henry confirmed that his inquiry had received information which suggested that prominent abusers in Scotland and England had been working together.

“We do have substantive information to suggest that has been the case,” he said. “If you’d asked me that question a month ago I would have said no.

“There was no substantive information that we had at that time that suggested any kind of organised abuse between Scotland and England under the auspices of football.

“We have had recent accounts that suggests that was very much the case. These have been passed to the English FA inquiry.

“I’m fully confident that the English FA inquiry will come up with recommendations every bit as detailed and robust as my own.”
Mr Rodger, 49, from Glasgow, was subjected to two years of abuse in the mid-1980s after attending games, trials and tournaments in Scotland, England and Spain.

He said that Kelly and McCafferty, whom he recognised as the trainer of the neighbouring Fauldhouse United, abused him together many times.

A year later Mr Rodger accompanied Kelly on a trip to Blackpool, where he was introduced to Bennell.

Mr Rodger told Channel 4 News that the abuse he received at the hands at Bennell made him physically sick.

“The following day Bill Kelly told me, if anybody was to ask anything, just to say that I’d eaten something that hadn’t agreed with me at dinner,” he said.

Mr Rodger, a decorated former serviceman who served in Bosnia, Northern Ireland and in the first Gulf War, said that he hoped his decision to speak out would convince others to come forward.

“Everybody in Scotland knows that abuse has taken place but it’s different when there’s a face, there’s a name that’s telling them that I was abused.” he said.
Kelly, a former secretary of the West Lothian Association of Youth Football Clubs, denies having any connection with Bennell or McCafferty.

The SFA said that it was awaiting the findings of the independent review

I was never good enough to play in school teams but had several pals who were, and went on to play for local juvenile teams. I often heard them mention this Bill Kelly at Uphall Saints and all the innuendo that accompanied any mention of his name. This would have been in the mid 70s.
It's chilling to think that if even the kids of the time like me who had never set eyes on the beast "knew" about it then there simply must have been adults in those circles who knew about it. Why didn't they speak up?

Is it any wonder now how football in Scotland has gone to sh!t both domestically and internationally? Look at the way the children were treated. How many budding careers were stopped short and ruined by an abuser's actions and the organizations that enabled them?

Look at the monumental effort and organization it took to keep this going and under wraps for all these decades. Imagine how different things could have been for all these children and Scottish football had someone stood up and shouted from the hilltops decades ago.

The people of Scotland didn't deserve this and, more importantly, these children have been spectacularly failed by the SFA and clubs that hid this disgusting behavior and crimes all these years.

I don't generally believe in capital punishment but considering the light sentences being handed out in Scotland, something substantial needs to be done to the abusers and the officials that were complicit. Shackled in the city centre comes to mind. Primitive I know but damn, DO SOMETHING!

Is it any wonder now how football in Scotland has gone to sh!t both domestically and internationally? Look at the way the children were treated. How many budding careers were stopped short and ruined by an abuser's actions and the organizations that enabled them?

Look at the monumental effort and organization it took to keep this going and under wraps for all these decades. Imagine how different things could have been for all these children and Scottish football had someone stood up and shouted from the hilltops decades ago.

The people of Scotland didn't deserve this and, more importantly, these children have been spectacular failed by the SFA and clubs that hid this disgusting behavior and crimes all these years.

I don't generally believe in capital punishment but considering the light sentences being handed out in Scotland, something substantial needs to be done to the abusers and the officials that were complicit. Shackled in the city centre comes to mind. Primitive I know but damn, DO SOMETHING!

Well said KYB.

Back