Alex Thomson Ch4 - Investigating Celtic Boys Club

Tommy Burns is a name that always pops up but every person who ever mentions him has nothing but good things to say about him.

I know a few guys who played with Celtic's youth teams and they said he was absolutely brilliant.

I can't imagine him being an abuser at all.

It's often been speculated that as he came through the system there that he wasn't an abuser, rather the opposite.

Stockholm syndrome comes to mind as has been seen by one of Torbetts ex players who gave him shelter and wouldnt have a bad word to say against him.

It's often been speculated that as he came through the system there that he wasn't an abuser, rather the opposite.

Stockholm syndrome comes to mind as has been seen by one of Torbetts ex players who gave him shelter and wouldnt have a bad word to say against him.
Most of Torbetts victims describe him as having a sort of hold over them. Burns gave him a character reference AFTER he'd already been convicted. But you can't question anything about Tommy Burns or you're apparently an awful human.

That still doesn't necessarily invalidate it. if our Club knew it's arse from its elbow it would issue a statement after the programme calling for an immediate, independent and public investigation into this crime in Scottish Football to be carried out by a police force from England, although I'd prefer the FBI, myself.

But, we won't, will we?
I think and expect our club to call for a full public inquiry once the SFA cover up is published.

I see this celtc star blog and cqn are working their agenda along the lines of :

Why blame only one club when 3 Glasgow clubs have history as do the sfa themselves. And after all, celtc are the first club to face up to it.

Sick, sick bastards.

Each of us has a duty to challenge this filth every time we see it.
Celtic have not faced up to anything.quite the opposite. They have deflected and dinided like they always do.

Yes, it’s a really shocking way to go about life mate, bringing innocent people into it.

You can’t help thinking that if he ever had any even questionable incident on something like this it would have been all over the school.

It’s not right.
Exactly mate. There was a teacher in my daughter's school suspended for alleged abuse. Press went with the 'unnamed member of staff' line. I asked my daughter (3rd year pupil) - 'oh that's old Paedo Johnstone (name changed). Everybody knew he was a paedo since before I went to Hugh school'.

Surely there's no way you guys wouldn't have heard even a rumour

It's on a nationwide channel news programme. It is not part of the documentary.

What more do you want. You can see clearly from the information that's been provided so far, that celtic are going to feature. Have a thought for the victims in all this as you will see from the guy who has posted on here. This isn't being done to suit us, it's a problem, a huge problem not just in this country, but around the world.

And as I've posted before, there is still proceedings going on and the lawyers for the victims may not want to play their hand too much.

I've read posts on here questioning the lawyer about his allegiance to celtic, which are quite honestly a disgrace.

Have a good think to yourselves honestly. would you come forward if it happened to you? Remember, everyone will know about it,no anonymity. Coming forward these people deserve all the praise and backing from all decent people. Spare them a thought first and foremost.

I think and expect our club to call for a full public inquiry once the SFA cover up is published.
Unless we do I do not believe the full picture will be allowed to emerge. We cannot abdicate our responsibility, we have seen that there is a concerted effort to diminish this and no on else will stand up for the abused and to allow Scottish football to move on.

Last edited:
Exactly mate. There was a teacher in my daughter's school suspended for alleged abuse. Press went with the 'unnamed member of staff' line. I asked my daughter (3rd year pupil) - 'oh that's old Paedo Johnstone (name changed). Everybody knew he was a paedo since before I went to Hugh school'.

Surely there's no way you guys wouldn't have heard even a rumour

Agree Rick. He was actually really popular at school the guy.

It's on a nationwide channel news programme. It is not part of the documentary.

What more do you want. You can see clearly from the information that's been provided so far, that celtic are going to feature. Have a thought for the victims in all this as you will see from the guy who has posted on here. This isn't being done to suit us, it's a problem, a huge problem not just in this country, but around the world.

And as I've posted before, there is still proceedings going on and the lawyers for the victims may not want to play their hand too much.

I've read posts on here questioning the lawyer about his allegiance to celtic, which are quite honestly a disgrace.

Have a good think to yourselves honestly. would you come forward if it happened to you? Remember, everyone will know about it,no anonymity. Coming forward these people deserve all the praise and backing from all decent people. Spare them a thought first and foremost.

While I totally agree with what you're saying, I think folk seem to be misinterpreting people's worry over the balance of the documentary as disregard for the most important thing (the victims).

People can and do have concern for the victims first and foremost but they can also hold reservations about people that attempted to destroy our club unfairly tarring us with a brush to cause more damage. The two aren't mutually exclusive.

The bravery shown by the victims is unbelievable and should never be forgotten. But it can't be ignored that the affinity most have with our club is not too dissimilar to the affinity they have with family – it hurts to see our club unfairly attacked and people are apprehensive that this will be the case due to the mountains of evidence of it happening.

Res ipsa loquitur. The facts speak for themselves.

I'm for jailing and exposing all paedophiles. Whoever they are, whoever they worked for. At all times.

The difference with Celtic is the scale of the abuse, the length of the time period over which multiple perpetrators operated within the club, the scandalous denial of responsibility of the club and the financial relationship between the club and the main perpetrator of abuse. Kevin Kelly, the former chairman of Celtic became a director of The Trophy Centre Limited as did the wife of another - Anne Dunn being the maiden name of Jack McGinn's wife. This at a time when the Trophy Centre was receiving £250,000 in business from the football club each year.

While I totally agree with what you're saying, I think folk seem to be misinterpreting people's worry over the balance of the documentary as disregard for the most important thing (the victims).

People can and do have concern for the victims first and foremost but they can also hold reservations about people that attempted to destroy our club unfairly tarring us with a brush to cause more damage. The two aren't mutually exclusive.

The bravery shown by the victims is unbelievable and should never be forgotten. But it can't be ignored that the affinity most have with our club is not too dissimilar to the affinity they have with family – it hurts to see our club unfairly attacked and people are apprehensive that this will be the case due to the mountains of evidence of it happening.
It's the mentally challengeds who are getting themselves into a frenzy about this. Signs of guilt perhaps?

It's obvious from the tweets that's been sent out, that celtic are going to feature in this. Famous for their noise, infamous for their silence. That quote was directed at one club. For the life of me, I cant in any way see an old pals act taking place here.

Unless we do I do not believe the full picture will be allowed to emerge. We cannot abdicate our responsibility because we have seen that there is a concerted effort to diminish this and no on else will stand up for the abused and to allow Scottish football to move on.
Totally agree.

When Tommy Burns was appointed Parkhead boss in 1994, he tried to bring his mentor Frank Cairney back to Parkhead.

But the move to end his three year exile was blocked by Celtic chief Fergus McCann.

Last night at his home in Viewpark, Uddingston, Cairney said: "I have nothing whatsoever to say. Speak to my lawyers."

Tommy Burns was also at Cairney's house to give him his support.

He said: "He has the whole of my backing and that of Celtic Football Club to a man.

"He has trained some of the great names of Celtic, including Roy Aitken, Paul McStay, George McCluskey, Alan Brazil, Pat Nevin, Peter Grant, Andy Ritchie and myself.

"Ever since I knew him he's been a great friend and a great influence on me and a lot of other players who had the pleasure of playing on his team."
Saint Tommy of Calton. Close friend of convicted paedophile Frank Cairney, and a man who wanted to bring Cairney back to the football club.
If Burns was alive today, he’s someone who would be a ‘person of interest’ to any investigation into the Celtic Paedophile Ring. He was right there at the epicentre of everything going on at the club for a great number of years. He was the epitome of a ‘cellic man’.
I will always believe that Tommy Burns took sordid secrets to his grave. Celtic was his life, and he fits the bill of a man who would do ANYTHING to protect the good name of the club. Just my opinion.

I like others will not be able to watch this live. Could I ask someone to record and post on here so as to catch up earlier than waiting to get home

The very upsetting thing to me is the amount of young children who were abused. If over 100 have come forward, how many did these evil b@stards abuse. No way, absolutely no way did this go by unnoticed!

I hope all the victims get what they need out of this, some closure, just to be believed and most of all, punishment for the perpetrators and enablers

The very upsetting thing to me is the amount of young children who were abused. If over 100 have come forward, how many did these evil b@stards abuse. No way, absolutely no way did this go by unnoticed!

I hope all the victims get what they need out of this, some closure, just to be believed and most of all, punishment for the perpetrators and enablers
That's the worrying thing. How many have not and never will come forward. I cant hold it against them as it would be a nightmare. Imagine turning up at school, not the best places for understanding. No coincidence that most who do come forward are middle aged men.

Somehow and I have no idea how, society will need to work at a way of making it easier for them to come forward, although this will be very difficult as the paedophiles will always take it all the way in court.

There needs to be a robust way of keeping anonymity and not just for kids.

I guarantee to you we’ll be included somehow. No one mentioned other clubs were using EBTs when journalists investigated us. But no way will ra sellik go down without trying to take us and anyone else with them.

The scale of what they appear to be guilty of is unreal and unlike anything else in British football. An SFA inquiry into child abuse in Scottish football is fine, but that lot need a specific one.

It's the mentally challengeds who are getting themselves into a frenzy about this. Signs of guilt perhaps?

It's obvious from the tweets that's been sent out, that celtic are going to feature in this. Famous for their noise, infamous for their silence. That quote was directed at one club. For the life of me, I cant in any way see an old pals act taking place here.
knowing thompson he will try and rope us in as well

In light of recent speculation and to seek to avoid any confusion, the Club wishes to confirm its position regarding the historic abuse that took place at Celtic Football Club and Celtic Boys’ Club. Celtic Football Club is appalled by any form of historic abuse and has great sympathy for those who suffered abuse and for their families. The Club is very sorry that these events took place. The abuse of young people is an abhorrent crime. Unfortunately it has affected many areas of society.

With regard to the allegations regarding historic abuse at Celtic Boys’ Club (which, so far as we have been made aware, relate to the period prior to 1997), although Celtic Football Club is a separate organisation, we take these extremely seriously because of the historic contacts between the two organisations. Police investigations were given support, so as to seek to ensure that those individuals who abused young people were brought to justice.

The Club has been at the leading edge in Scottish football of putting welfare and safeguarding protections in place for our young people and continues to work with Scottish football to make it a safe place for young people.

These are very sensitive matters. There are ongoing legal proceedings which prevent us from discussing any case in any detail. It would not be appropriate for the Club to comment in the media about any individuals or events.

In summary, these are historic issues, which the Club is dealing with in a responsible manner and in conjunction with its advisers. The Club reiterates its sincere sympathy, regret and sorrow for those affected. As we have said repeatedly, the Club will stand by its responsibilities, respecting the due process of law.

In light of recent speculation and to seek to avoid any confusion, the Club wishes to confirm its position regarding the historic abuse that took place at Celtic Football Club and Celtic Boys’ Club. Celtic Football Club is appalled by any form of historic abuse and has great sympathy for those who suffered abuse and for their families. The Club is very sorry that these events took place. The abuse of young people is an abhorrent crime. Unfortunately it has affected many areas of society.

With regard to the allegations regarding historic abuse at Celtic Boys’ Club (which, so far as we have been made aware, relate to the period prior to 1997), although Celtic Football Club is a separate organisation, we take these extremely seriously because of the historic contacts between the two organisations. Police investigations were given support, so as to seek to ensure that those individuals who abused young people were brought to justice.

The Club has been at the leading edge in Scottish football of putting welfare and safeguarding protections in place for our young people and continues to work with Scottish football to make it a safe place for young people.

These are very sensitive matters. There are ongoing legal proceedings which prevent us from discussing any case in any detail. It would not be appropriate for the Club to comment in the media about any individuals or events.

In summary, these are historic issues, which the Club is dealing with in a responsible manner and in conjunction with its advisers. The Club reiterates its sincere sympathy, regret and sorrow for those affected. As we have said repeatedly, the Club will stand by its responsibilities, respecting the due process of law.

Separate entity have put this out during our match? Couldnt make it up.

Burns didn't run round to console the victims....Burns openly defended a child molester

But say a bad word about

If Burns and Cairney were such "good friends" Burns surely Burns will have known all about what happened in New Jersey in 1991?

Repeat behaviour of (and attempting to)re-employ known child molesters

The common denominator is 3 years...
Did they think people would just forget they were beasts and welcome them back when the heat was off?

So from their first sentence they are now admitting abuse at their boys club. The statement translates into one simple word....Guilty!!

In light of recent speculation and to seek to avoid any confusion, the Club wishes to confirm its position regarding the historic abuse that took place at Celtic Football Club and Celtic Boys’ Club.

So from their first sentence they are now admitting abuse at their boys club. The statement translates into one simple word....Guilty!!

In light of recent speculation and to seek to avoid any confusion, the Club wishes to confirm its position regarding the historic abuse that took place at Celtic Football Club and Celtic Boys’ Club.
That’s what I thought too. Strange timing for an admission of guilt, wouldn’t you think?

Wonder if RC will now be wanting to discuss this football related statement or is it a case of , next caller “ oh I heard bad words at the rangers game”

statement reeks of desperation. First time they have said sorry. Knowing that those watching the channel 4 news tonight will then search for Celtic and find that statement. They need to know that they have released that because of tonight and haven’t apologised previously and denied all culpability

Still no apology from that despicable club.

statement reeks of desperation. First time they have said sorry. Knowing that those watching the channel 4 news tonight will then search for Celtic and find that statement. They need to know that they have released that because of tonight and haven’t apologised previously and denied all culpability

They didn't say 'sorry'. They expressed 'sorrow'. Not at all the same thing.

Saint Tommy of Calton. Close friend of convicted paedophile Frank Cairney, and a man who wanted to bring Cairney back to the football club.
If Burns was alive today, he’s someone who would be a ‘person of interest’ to any investigation into the Celtic Paedophile Ring. He was right there at the epicentre of everything going on at the club for a great number of years. He was the epitome of a ‘cellic man’.
I will always believe that Tommy Burns took sordid secrets to his grave. Celtic was his life, and he fits the bill of a man who would do ANYTHING to protect the good name of the club. Just my opinion.
Hugh Keevins needs spoken to. He’s always crowed about being Burns’s great pal and he co-wrote books with Burns. If anyone knows Burns’s involvement whether covering up or as a victim, I reckon it’s Keevins.

They didn't say 'sorry'. They expressed 'sorrow'. Not at all the same thing.

They still claiming they're a separate entity though - http://www.celticfc.net/news/17611

They still claiming they're a separate entity though - http://www.celticfc.net/news/17611

Go into the archives of the Vatican and you'll come across many similar statements.

Back