Alfie about to join the 100 club.

In the post war era, I can only think of 12 others to reach 100.

McCoist
Johnstone
Brand
Thornton
Simpson
Millar
Wilson
Forrest
Murray
Hateley
Miller
Boyd.

Then pre war, you have others like

McPhail
Cunningham
Smith
Willie Reid
Tommy Cairns
Robert Cunning Hamilton
Fleming.

Presume I’m missing some.

Edit: Can’t believe I forgot Morton.

(Awaiting @dh1963 :)))

He’s on 98, I’m sure.

Certainly said on RangersTV that last nights took him to 98.

So many things to factor in before you go comparing to others though. How long were some of them at the Club, how many games did they play etc? Aflie has reached the target fairly quickly, in a relatively short period of time. However, he's done it in a spell where we've been playing a very high number of games compared to, say, 50 years ago.

I seem to remember that getting mentioned the other week and he was on 97.
That’s some record, and with all those snippers from the press to the refs, they still couldn’t stop the Buffalo.
My favourite is either his 2nd v them, or his 2nd v Feyenoord away, when he got in between the centre half’s and headed it into the bottom corner, the goalie and both centre half’s just slumped their shoulders as if to say “I can’t do anything against that.”
It should be noted too, that he has improved his overall game. His first touch and lay offs now are top drawer, even last night v Livi he was the lay off to Roofe, who fed Hagi, who returned the ball to Roofe to score. It was just a cushioned ball back to Roofe, but it was the perfect weight for Roofe to be in control straight away.
So when he isn’t scoring he is helping make space for others to score. I’d have him here forever, but he deserves the chance to prove he is good enough at the top table.

McCoist
Johnstone
Brand
Thornton
Simpson
Millar
Wilson
Forrest
Murray
Hateley
Miller
Boyd.

Then pre war, you have others like

McPhail
Cunningham
Smith
Willie Reid
Tommy Cairns
Robert Cunning Hamilton
Fleming.

Presume I’m missing some.

Edit: Can’t believe I forgot Morton.

(Awaiting @dh1963 :)))
That was like you putting down a challenge!

Just off the top of my head, I'd say the post war list should include Johnny Hubbard, Alex Scott, John Greig, Colin Stein and Derek Parlane for starters.

The pre war list is missing the likes of Alec Smith, John McPherson, Alan Morton, Geordie Henderson, Sandy Archibald and James Marshall.

And I know there will be more when I take time to think about it.

98 I think??

I was convinced he was going to miss his goal last night. Was a solid finish in the end but I had visions of it whacking some c.unt in the face in the Copland :D

Certainly said on RangersTV that last nights took him to 98.

So many things to factor in before you go comparing to others though. How long were some of them at the Club, how many games did they play etc? Aflie has reached the target fairly quickly, in a relatively short period of time. However, he's done it in a spell where we've been playing a very high number of games compared to, say, 50 years ago.
Definitely, consider the age he came at as well, the first season in a pretty poor side and the fact he doesn’t take penalty.

The numbers probably don’t even do it justice, and that’s some going.

Wiki (I know) says 98 up until 29/8.

Last night makes 99.
Transfermarkt has him at 98 goals in 193 appearances for Rangers.

With 9 in 10 League Cup appearances. 7 in 9 Scottish Cup appearances. 24 in 48 in the Europa and 1 in 1 in the Champions League. 57 in 125 in the SPFL.

Only 1 penalty scored in that total (sadly, 1 missed).

Last edited:
That was like you putting down a challenge!

Just off the top of my head, I'd say the post war list should include Johnny Hubbard, Alex Scott, John Greig, Colin Stein and Derek Parlane for starters.

The pre war list is missing the likes of Alec Smith, John McPherson, Alan Morton, Geordie Henderson, Sandy Archibald and James Marshall.

And I know there will be more when I take time to think about it.
Stein never reached 100 I’m sure, Bud did however and I omitted him. No idea how I forgot Greig and Parlane though.

Stein never reached 100 I’m sure, Bud did however and I omitted him. No idea how I forgot Greig and Parlane though.
Depends what you call a competitive goal.

If you include the Glasgow Cup he hit just over 100.

They counted for me.

I doubt we would be able to get the stats, due to the era. However, I wonder if some historian would be able to dig out Derek Johnstone’s goals to games up front, ratio.
He never took penalties either.

This would be hellishly difficult, I can think of a few games he started in defence, then scored after he got put up front because we were struggling.

He never took penalties either.

This would be hellishly difficult, I can think of a few games he started in defence, then scored after he got put up front because we were struggling.
Aye, was there not a game Celtic had some Scandinavian that DJ let run off him to score and then got put up front, only to score? :))

Aye, was there not a game Celtic had some Scandinavian that DJ let run off him to score and then got put up front, only to score? :))
Rangers 3 Celtic 2 in 1977.

2 down at half time, DJ had been centre half. The Icelandic player Edvaldsson scored both for them. Jock Wallace had left John Greig on the bench as he was carrying an injury. He brought him on at half time, moved DJ up front beside Gordon Smith, and he scored one and Smith got 2.

What a day!

I had considered this earlier too.

98 goals, only taken 2 x pens, and the only player other than McCoist, Hateley, Boyd & Miller that I will have seen score more than 100 goals fro Rangers, I would like to think Buff will also overtake Miller and Hateley this season.

Very impressive stats

Icelander Johannes Edvaldsson (Shuggie). Scored 2 at Ibrox to put them 2-0 up and then hit the bar before half time. We switched it around with DJ moving up front and won 3-2 with two goals from Gordon Smith and the other from DJ.

10 Sep 77.

You may be thinking about the match played on September 10, 1977.

The early-season encounter saw Celtic leading 2-0 at half-time with goals from Edvaldsson in the 18th and 31st minutes.

The first half had been all Celtic but things changed after the break.

An injury to Derek Parlane forced Rangers into a reshuffle and John Greig came on to bolster the defence with Derek Johnstone moving from centre-half to centre-forward.

With Big Derek leading the line Rangers went on to score three for no reply in the second half.

Gordon Smith scored twice in 53 and 81 minutes and Johnstone himself in the 64th minute.

Rangers; McCloy, Jardine, Miller, Forsyth, Johnstone, MacDonald, McKean, Russell, Parlane, Smith, Cooper.

Celtic; Latchford, McGrain, Lynch, Edvaldsson, MacDonald, Casey, Doyle, Dowie, Glavin, Burns, Wilson.

McCoist
Johnstone
Brand
Thornton
Simpson
Millar
Wilson
Forrest
Murray
Hateley
Miller
Boyd.