Alfie & Colak

With our schedule I might not be 'risking' either against Dundee in the League Cup let alone play them both.

With our schedule I might not be 'risking' either against Dundee in the League Cup let alone play them both.
We need to find a way to play both. We're not good enough to do without both players IMHO.
We need as many goalscorers as we can possibly get into the side.
I know Gio has stated he plays with one striker but surely you have to best utilise the resources at your disposal.
Our system of play should be based on the players available not the other way around.

There's every chance it won't work as Alfie in particular likes to play the lone striker role but it would be crazy not to at least give it a try.

Are there many top level teams in Europe playing with two strikers these days? Burnley and Atletico are the only two that come to mind and that might have changed since Dyche left.

Wouldn't be averse to trying it as an idea, but given the hectic schedule, I imagine we'll rarely have both of them on the pitch at the same time.

Are there many top level teams in Europe playing with two strikers these days? Burnley and Atletico are the only two that come to mind and that might have changed since Dyche left.
Not too many I grant you and I certainly wouldn't be doing so tonight, but against the standard of opposition we face on a weekly basis I think it's worth a go.

The only way it could happen is to play Morelos off the right. He drifts over to the right so often anyway that it doesn’t seem crazy to play him there.

It’s also musical chairs for that position so again, worth a go.

We can’t leave Colak out domestically because his chance conversion rate is incredible and he can’t play in any other position.

I would love to see it but Gio doesn't have the adventurous spirit to even try. Sadly not something I think we'll ever see.

No reason why we couldn’t play them both when we don’t have a viable right winger.

Let Alfie play off the right but coming narrow, similar to Roofe’s role in the 55 season. Maybe not a tactic for the tougher games but against the dross I’d be all for it.

Last edited:
Colak would benefit from a strike partner up front but Morelos is far better on his own. Even try Sakala and Colak , a big and wee partnership usually works for us (Mccoist Hateley, Novo Prso etc) .

Morelos enjoys being the focal point alone and has done superb in that position

We need to find a way to play both. We're not good enough to do without both players IMHO.
We need as many goalscorers as we can possibly get into the side.
I know Gio has stated he plays with one striker but surely you have to best utilise the resources at your disposal.
Our system of play should be based on the players available not the other way around.

There's every chance it won't work as Alfie in particular likes to play the lone striker role but it would be crazy not to at least give it a try.
Saturday surely proved that we are.

Both scored whilst on the park without the other.

Don't understand why morelos can't play on the right of a front 3

The only way you will see it IMO is if we are throwing the kitchen sink at a game if drawing

And one is subbed on. Even then he’s never done that

We’ve traditionally always played two up top. Don’t like the modern way of inverted buzz words and so on. Would love to be bold and just play two strikers

Should we try both v St Mirren on Saturday or at the very least Dundee in the LC?

It might not work, but I think we need to try it. We can't afford not to have our best players, our two best goalscorers in the side if there's a chance it could work.

Thoughts?
St Mirren are actually pretty well run this season. They are sitting 3rd on merit and you just need to look at what happened to Celtic when they tried to rest players against them to see that they are NOT a team to experiment against at present.

We will be giving them the respect they deserve. Foot on the throat mentality.

I'd also like to see us try it, just not sure when is a good time with so many fixtures weekend and midweek.

A few folks have said 3-5-2 might suit the players we have, and there's also variations of 4-4-2 that are possible, like the Advocaat one with one natural winger or the midfield diamond we saw a few years back.

I think, though, it will end up the same as when we had Alfredo and Defoe. Only see them both on the pitch if we're losing late on and chasing a goal.

Should we try both v St Mirren on Saturday or at the very least Dundee in the LC?

It might not work, but I think we need to try it. We can't afford not to have our best players, our two best goalscorers in the side if there's a chance it could work.

Thoughts?
Yes we should, no harm in it & dont think many would blame GVB for trying

I think with his vision, movement and range of passing Morelos could play the number 10 role supporting Colak easily

The only way it could happen is to play Morelos off the right. He drifts over to the right so often anyway that it doesn’t seem crazy to play him there.

We can’t leave Colak out domestically because his chance conversion rate is incredible and he can’t play in any other position.
I'd like to see this also. He used to score a lot of his goals coming in of the right.

This is how I see it too. I think it could actually work really well.

We've tried pacy, out and out wingers on thr right but it never really seems to click (regardless of the questionable quality of Wright, matondo etc). Mainly because it hampers Tavs natural game, where he likes to have the run of that whole wing. I don't think Alfie would get in his way like the others do sometimes and would have the natural instinct to hang around the right hand side of the box, meaning they could link up well. In theory, it could also result in the thing we miss the most in our all round game - regular and consistent goals from our wide forwards. Plus his strong hold up play woukd allow extra licence to the likes of Arfield and Lundstram to beak the lines centrally.

I even think there's an argument to try it tonight at Anfield, a right curve ball for Liverpool to ponder. But I know there's not a snowballs chance of that happening so guess it's either arfield or tillman shoehorned out wide or chapter 107 of the Scott Wright / Rabbi Matondo "all pace but no end product" show...

You can't just totally change a formation and way of playing for one game and expect anything other than a bad outcome. Plus Morelos does not really do a front two. But I suppose its something other than results that can be lumped on to the Gio must go theme that now has more tentacles than an octopus.

I think it’s absolutely insane that we refuse to try it.
Nobody plays two upfront. Nobody

Why don’t we play Ridvan and Barisic?

Why not play McGregor and McLaughlan?

There is one place up for grabs and we are fortunate to have two decent players fighting over it. Both have different attributes and can be used according to the opposition

I'm trying to think of a progressive, modern side that plays two up top. Sacrificing the man in midfield to accommodate both seems insane, especially when I'm not sure why we're doing it other than "both are good". Tactics don't work like that.

I think it would be worth trying Alfie to the right of Colak.

We have an issue in that right forward area anyway, and this is a way to not only possibly solve that right sided birth, but it also gets Alfie and Colak in the same team.

Let me be clear, I don’t mean play Alfie wide right, but more in that inside right space. Possibly a little bit deeper as well - bit like a right sided No.10. Supports Colak, occupies mainly the inside right space, and helps hold the ball up and link midfield with attack.

We have Tav to occupy the wider right attacking area.

I really think it could work and worth trying.

The panic about this point/question is absolutely hilarious

Aye but Pep or sky and the CL.

Well playing spfl is slightly different and the idea you lose the middle of the park sounds insane to me when up against most of these teams.

Too much time wasted in front of sky listening to the pundits.

Its an obvious point for fans to make, 2 good attackers in a squad that is full of low scoring first team players.... ofcourse folk are going to say try both to start and see how it goes maybe we can hammer some smaller clubs and sort the goal difference. Build more confidence and put pressure on our rivals.

Back