Alfie is one goal from equalling Ally’s Euro record

I long ago accepted that we are going to have to take the rough with the smooth when it comes to Morelos. He's young, he's ambitious and his personality is firey. This is a kid who has come from nothing and gives so much back to the community which brought him up.

At points I've been raging with him when he does something daft, I think we all have, but I genuinely think he'll stay this year and rip it up. Especially now that the pressure will be off him at points because we can play Roofe or Itten.
I’m one of the two faced qunts who wanted him sold after being sent off v Brown, then loved him after this, then wanted him sold after his dive at Parkhead and subsequent form slump.
Today, I love him again.

I’m one of the two faced qunts who wanted him sold after being sent off v Brown, then loved him after this, then wanted him sold after his dive at Parkhead and subsequent form slump.
Today, I love him again.
Aye it's not always the healthiest of relationships. I get annoyed then think of his happy wee cheeky face and it's back to square one :))

Was going to say the same, the 'norm' back in the day was we get drawn against some unheard of mob, scrape through then get papped out second round, so average between 2 and 4 euro games at the start of each season. Now if we get lucky in the draw we get 6 qualifiers then into another 6 group games before knockout rounds. How many games have each played for us in europe?

Dont see this as making it easier for Alfie.

Group stage is then elite stuff and given we're more often than not a 3rd or 4th group stage seed, we're facing tougher teams regularly.

At 33 for Alfie and 58 for Ally as totally games, the split across easy and tough games is the same.

Alfies just scored nearly the same amount of goals in far fewer games.

For every St Josephs, Progres or Lincoln Red Imps, Ally had an Ilves Tampere, Valleta or Gotu

He phenomenal, has dragged us through so many European games. It’s his platform.

I hope he flys past it next game and ally will be as happy as anyone!

Quite astonishing really for the time Morelos has been here, not sure what it says about Super right enough, were Euro defences better in his day or is Morelos a better striker? :cool:

Quite astonishing really for the time Morelos has been here, not sure what it says about Super right enough, were Euro defences better in his day or is Morelos a better striker? :cool:
I think of their record in the same number of games Alfies is better. I may be wrong but it definitely was at a point last season.

And no i'm not saying AM is better than AM.

I think of their record in the same number of games Alfies is better. I may be wrong but it definitely was at a point last season.

And no i'm not saying AM is better than AM.
My post was was slightly in jest, as mentioned above the set up in European football has changed over the years

Aye because McCoist never had his troubles during his Rangers career when he wasn't getting selected.

Imagine you're a youngster who has grown up supporting Rangers over the last 10 years. You've gone from watching absolute shite like Kevin Kyle and Fran Sandaza struggle against Annan Athletic to watching Morelos, Kent and their team-mates give clubs like Porto a lesson in how to play football at Ibrox. No wonder they think the wee Colombian is a hero. Your post is just miserable for the sake of it. Alfie isn't as good a player as Ally was, very few are. Did the last decade not happen to you?
You've missed the point completely. Well done you and the handful of people who liked it.

Sooner we celebrate a trophy winning Team the better. At least when McCoist was missing League cup final penalties v Them he was tucking away the rebound.

The last decade sadly happened, the hero worship for players winning nothing cotinues.

You've missed the point completely. Well done you and the handful of people who liked it.

Sooner we celebrate a trophy winning Team the better. At least when McCoist was missing League cup final penalties v Them he was tucking away the rebound.

The last decade sadly happened, the hero worship for players winning nothing cotinues.
No, I understand your point, I just think it's a shit one.

McCoist played against vastly superior opposition, mainly because his goals in the league fired us to titles which caused us to come up against the aforesaid superior opponents.

Which is something that Morelos hasn’t done. Maybe he will if he manages to focus for an entire season, cut out the niggly fouls and stop getting suspended. He may break McCoist’s record, he still isn’t anywhere near his level (as confirmed by the manager).
Yeah, Alania Vladikavkaz, Gotu, Gornik, Valletta, Bohemians, Ilves etc are really vastly superior opposition.

We didn't do anything of note against vastly superior opposition in Ally's time.

Doesn't make his goal tally any less impressive, but let's not rewrite history. Celebrate both players for what they've done instead.

I wasn't aware people picked their heroes based on what they won.

Somebody better tell the kids who have supported any other team in Scotland outside us and them since 1986 that they're not allowed to have heroes.

I wasn't aware people picked their heroes based on what they won.

Somebody better tell the kids who have supported any other team in Scotland outside us and them since 1986 that they're not allowed to have heroes.
No other side hasn't won any trophies in that period?

Keep it relevant rather than going full tard.

No other side hasn't won any trophies in that period?

Keep it relevant rather than going full tard.

First of all, drop the 'tard' speak. Permanently.

Secondly, you're the person complaining that hero worship of players who haven't won anything happens.

Can we have the approved @westenclosurebear list of who our kids can pretend to be when they're playing (generally they don't choose to be someone shite), y'know, since they've not to be heroes til they win something.

Poor example I’m afraid! They were Russian champions at the time and they had played Borussia Dortmund & Liverpool in their previous 2 seasons in Europe ( drawing 0-0 away and losing by a single goal at home both times) so they were a very decent team. Our result in Russia was an exceptional performance.

The point is that the majority of McCoist’s European matches would have been against opposition superior to anything Morelos has faced. Morelos’ was very good in the group stages last year and deserves praise, but scoring more goals against inferior quality opposition doesn’t put him in the same bracket as McCoist.
Bohemians plus some of the other ones mentioned. Like I said this isn't me having a pop at Ally just that he played against dome poor opposition as well for dome of his goals.
The fact Alfredo has nearly matched Ally in 38 games is pretty impressive IMHO.

Interesting stat and impressive from Alfie.
It’s so satisfying seeing post like these stirring debate when you think of where we were not so long ago.

Is some stat although we have played some dross in Europe while he’s been here.

Ally scored against some outstanding teams.

Alfie will break his record if he doesn’t leave in this window.

YGcHk3W.gif

With all due respect, Ally was scoring goals in the CL and qualifiers mostly

Whilst Morelos can only score into the opposition we face, he’s scored probably around 10 or so goals against proper outfits although some of them have also been against some right diddy part time teams.

Would be interesting to see a list of the opponents Ally scored against tbh.

Is some stat although we have played some dross in Europe while he’s been here.

Ally scored against some outstanding teams.

Alfie will break his record if he doesn’t leave in this window.
I wouldn't say any of the teams either scored against were outstanding. Both scored against shite, both scored against very good.

Alfie has scored his 20 against:

Osijek
Maribor
Rapid Vienna (2)
St Joseph's (4)
Midtjylland (3)
Legia Warsaw
Young Boys (2)
Porto (2)
Feyenoord (2)
Lincoln Red Imps (2)

Coisty's 21 goals came against:
Bohemians
Ilves
Boavista
Dynamo Kyiv
Gornik zabrze (2)
Steaua Bucharest
Valletta (2)
Red Star
Leeds (2)
Alania Vladikavkaz (4)
Grasshoppers (2)
Gotu (3)

As before, that's not belittling McCoist in any way at all

@Delboy Trotter

I don’t know if I would agree that Ally was a better player than Morelos.
A better goalscorer and finisher, yes definitely, but his play outside the box, giving full back fours a torrid time of it, holding up play, running channels, being a one man battering ram, I’m saying Morelos is a better player than Ally was.

A better goalscorer and finisher, yes definitely, but his play outside the box, giving full back fours a torrid time of it, holding up play, running channels, being a one man battering ram, I’m saying Morelos is a better player than Ally was.
There we are, the lunatics have finally taken over this asylum. I was going to post a reply to the hard of thinking explaining my earlier posts (perhaps using hand puppets to illustrate my points in a way they would understand) but what’s the point if we have people who think our record goalscorer and multiple title winner isn’t as good a player as a player who has won NOTHING with us (and whose own failings have had a big part to play in that).

I’m out.

There we are, the lunatics have finally taken over this asylum. I was going to post a reply to the hard of thinking explaining my earlier posts (perhaps using hand puppets to illustrate my points in a way they would understand) but what’s the point if we have people who think our record goalscorer and multiple title winner isn’t as good a player as a player who has won NOTHING with us (and whose own failings have had a big part to play in that).

I’m out.
Nae bother.
Ally was a penalty box striker. Most of Morelos best bits are out with his goalscoring abilities, in fact, I still don’t really trust him in front of goal.
In terms of being a good player, you don’t just say “oh that guy scored more goals so he must’ve been a better player”
There’s so much more to it than that.
Trying explaining that to yourself whilst you seek out the hard of thinking. Use your hand puppets if you need to.

Just as a matter of interest, do you think Ally was a better player than say Hateley, Derek Johnstone, Mo Johnston, Michael Mols(pre injury)?
Just in case I need to explain this to you, in terms of his footballing abilities, he wasn’t. He was however a better goalscorer than all of them, just as he is a better goalscorer than Morelos.

Last edited:
I wouldn't say any of the teams either scored against were outstanding. Both scored against shite, both scored against very good.

Osijek
Maribor
Rapid Vienna (2)
St Joseph's (4)
Midtjylland (3)
Legia Warsaw
Young Boys (2)
Porto (2)
Feyenoord (2)
Lincoln Red Imps (2)

Bohemians
Ilves
Boavista
Dynamo Kyiv
Gornik zabrze (2)
Steaua Bucharest
Valletta (2)
Red Star
Leeds (2)
Alania Vladikavkaz (4)
Grasshoppers (2)
Gotu (3)

Not exactly the cream of European football as some would have us believe.
As I said before iirc wee Durrant had a better CL record than Super Ally(for a while).

@Delboy Trotter

Osijek
Maribor
Rapid Vienna (2)
St Joseph's (4)
Midtjylland (3)
Legia Warsaw
Young Boys (2)
Porto (2)
Feyenoord (2)
Lincoln Red Imps (2)

Bohemians
Ilves
Boavista
Dynamo Kyiv
Gornik zabrze (2)
Steaua Bucharest
Valletta (2)
Red Star
Leeds (2)
Alania Vladikavkaz (4)
Grasshoppers (2)
Gotu (3)

@Delboy Trotter

I would say Ally’s were against a few better than Alfie’s but when I see the list there isn’t as much in it as I thought.

Allys response to the question about Alfie overtaking his record was good. "Not bothered I didn't really play in that competition" :)

I know he's joking but he wasnt really scoring in the one he did play in either.

The records against overall teams is very similar. That Alfie's done it in a team which can't win trophies (given that's a criticism of him) in far less games is where the comparison is really interesting for me.

I know he's joking but he wasnt really scoring in the one he did play in either.

The records against overall teams is very similar. That Alfie's done it in a team which can't win trophies (given that's a criticism of him) in far less games is where the comparison is really interesting for me.
For me it's just a bit of banter,different era,different teams and players and I am pleased they both have worn the Blue jersey.

I don't care who scores the goals and against who.

A goal is a goal and Morelos rate for us in Europe has been incredible.

I doubt i will ever feel the same for any Rangers player the way I do for Ally McCoist, Davie Cooper being the exception, but I would love for Morelos to smash that record. I love Alfie and I hope he stays and does us proud this season if it is his last.

McCoist was far more than a penalty box striker, that's ridiculous.

McCoist was a far better player than your giving him credit for, in his early days he played a lot of games in MF in cluding a LC Final against the Filth when our MF was Ally, McPherson and Coop up against Murdo McCleod, Paul McStay and Tommy Burns.

n
McCoist was a far better player than your giving him credit for, in his early days he played a lot of games in MF in cluding a LC Final against the Filth when our MF was Ally, McPherson and Coop up against Murdo McCleod, Paul McStay and Tommy Burns.
I know he started his career as a goalscoring midfielder, and I’m in no way saying he wasn’t a good player outside the box. I just think Morelos has more about him.
I remember some games Ally looked terrible, particularly in some European games, and in games where he was deployed as a lone striker.
Morelos seems to excel in this role.
Either way though I still think Morelos is a better all rounder.
Ally still the better goalscorer by far obviously.

Back