Alfie is one goal from equalling Ally’s Euro record

As Winkie said, I think he’ll break it next week. Cracking achievement, if you want to mention he’s scored against dross you can mention the 8 in 12 group games. Or the plethora against strong teams in Maribor, the Danish mob, Legia and Osijek!.

edit: 8/11 games and it should be 9 with a goal in Moscow.

Last edited:
He just needs to start matching Ally's goals against celtic... It's incredible he's not not scored against them.

Still, great effort in Europe, and deserves a lot of the plaudits for recent euro runs

Ally is the record Rangers scorer in European Competition with 21 goals in 54 appearances, Alfie’s two tonight put him on 20 from 33, a phenomenal return.

Furfuxake, sell him, sell him sell him.
Super's total not allowed.
Sell Alfredo NOW.
Go Alfredo, stay and break records, and win us 55.

I thought Gerrard praise for McCoist rang true to be fair that despite Morelos and his European goals He had a long way to go to match Ally McCoist as he was a winner for many years (paraphrasing a wee bit but it was along those lines)

It was definately a 'keep the feet on the ground' answer while praising Mccoist at the same time.

Posted a thread on it at the time, but Super’s comments at the time when Morelos scored either v Porto or Young Boys, when the commentator said “Morelos now only 3/4 goals behind the record set by you know who”
And Ally retorts with “yeah he’s been absolutely fantastic, and we really need to get rid of this guy in the next window”:))

As Winkie said, I think he’ll break it next week. Cracking achievement, if you want to mention he’s scored against dross you can mention the 8 in 12 group games. Or the plethora against strong teams in Maribor, the Danish mob, Legia and Osijek!.
Just checked over that mate, and it’s 8 in 11 group games as he never featured away to Villarreal when Lafferty scored. Even better!

Yeah mate another poster corrected me, incredible numbers :)
In this thread? I didn’t see it?
I wasn’t wanting to correct you by the way, just decided to look back over the games and clocked that he missed the Villarreal game.
As you say, incredible numbers.
I hope he stays another year and smashes the record, as well as getting his goals against them, giving us 55 and getting us the £30-35m we’re really due for him!

In this thread? I didn’t see it?
I wasn’t wanting to correct you by the way, just decided to look back over the games and clocked that he missed the Villarreal game.
As you say, incredible numbers.
I hope he stays another year and smashes the record, as well as getting his goals against them, giving us 55 and getting us the £30-35m we’re really due for him!
Probably the other one haha, about 4 Alfie threads have popped up :)).

I don’t think he’ll leave, I’ve said as much for the past couple of years. I had only just come to terms with losing him so he better stay and as you say fire us to 55.

McCoist played against vastly superior opposition, mainly because his goals in the league fired us to titles which caused us to come up against the aforesaid superior opponents.

Which is something that Morelos hasn’t done. Maybe he will if he manages to focus for an entire season, cut out the niggly fouls and stop getting suspended. He may break McCoist’s record, he still isn’t anywhere near his level (as confirmed by the manager).

McCoist played against vastly superior opposition, mainly because his goals in the league fired us to titles which caused us to come up against the aforesaid superior opponents.

Which is something that Morelos hasn’t done. Maybe he will if he manages to focus for an entire season, cut out the niggly fouls and stop getting suspended. He may break McCoist’s record, he still isn’t anywhere near his level (as confirmed by the manager).
A hatrick in 2-7 against Vladikaskav (sp) suggests not all his games were against superior opposition.
In fact for a time wee Durrant had a better record in CL group games iirc.
This is in no way having a pop at Super just saying he want always playing against top teams.

A hatrick in 2-7 against Vladikaskav (sp) suggests not all his games were against superior opposition.
In fact for a time wee Durrant had a better record in CL group games iirc.
This is in no way having a pop at Super just saying he want always playing against top teams.
Poor example I’m afraid! They were Russian champions at the time and they had played Borussia Dortmund & Liverpool in their previous 2 seasons in Europe ( drawing 0-0 away and losing by a single goal at home both times) so they were a very decent team. Our result in Russia was an exceptional performance.

The point is that the majority of McCoist’s European matches would have been against opposition superior to anything Morelos has faced. Morelos’ was very good in the group stages last year and deserves praise, but scoring more goals against inferior quality opposition doesn’t put him in the same bracket as McCoist.

Your first paragraph just simply isn’t true Rudolph.

Valletta ?
Ilves Tampere ?

There were others that another poster posted.

I hope he breaks the record, I would just love Morelos to stay and finally put those Mhank bastards to the sword as well.

Frustrating that he could beat it and still leave having neither won a trophy or scored against Celtic.

He'll likely kick on to have a very successful career too.

It's hard being a Ranger.

Your first paragraph just simply isn’t true Rudolph.

Valletta ?
Ilves Tampere ?

There were others that another poster posted.

Full comparison Grigo.....

McCoist - 21 goals (4 pens) in 56 games:
Bohemians
Ilves Tampere
Boavista
Dynamo Kiev
Gornik Zabrze x 2 (1 pen)
Steau Bucharest (pen)
Valletta x 2 (1 pen)
Red Star Belgrade
Leeds Utd x 2
Alania Vladikavkaz x 4
Grasshoppers x 2 (1 pen)
GI Gotu x 3

Morelos – 20 goals (1 pen) in 33 games:
Osijek
Maribor
Rapid Vienna x 2
St Joseph's x 4 (1 pen)
Midtjylland x 3
Legia Warsaw
Young Boys x 2
Porto x 2
Feyenoord x 2
Lincoln Red Imps x 2

Last edited:

Bohemians
Ilves Tampere
Boavista
Dynamo Kiev
Steau Bucharest (pen)
Valletta x 2 (1 pen)
Red Star Belgrade
Leeds Utd x 2
Alania Vladikavkaz x 4
Grasshoppers x 2 (1 pen)
GI Gotu x 3

Morelos – 20 goals (0 pens) in 33 games:
Osijek
Maribor
Rapid Vienna x 2
St Joseph's x 4
Midtjylland x 3
Legia Warsaw
Young Boys x 2
Porto x 2
Feyenoord x 2
Lincoln Red Imps x 2

Thanks a lot @Disco Deejay, much appreciated mate.

As I mentioned, the facts are there, and Ally had 4 penalty goals v 1 for Alfie v St Joseph’s.

Half of Ally's goals in Europe came against Gotu Itrottarfelag, Bohemians, Ilves Tampere and Valleta.

I'll not be hearing that Alfie's goals against Porto, Feyenoord, Villareal and Rapid were any easier of a task than when Ally was facing AEK Athens, Levski Sofia, Sparta Prague, Lyngby, Auxerre, Famagusta, Osasuna, Katowice and failing to score against all of them.

The like for like comparison of elite teams (where McCoist faced Juve and Ajax and Alfie was up against Leverkusen or Villareal) isn't where either player scored goals so that's almost moot.

Morelos's scoring in Europe has been nothing short of remarkable for us in the last two and a bit years.

Last edited:
Too be fair, Supers first 9 seasons were knockout only football, before groups came into play.

Grabbing lots of goals was tougher in those days for sure.

But still a tremendous effort from Alfie, no doubt about that.
Was going to say the same, the 'norm' back in the day was we get drawn against some unheard of mob, scrape through then get papped out second round, so average between 2 and 4 euro games at the start of each season. Now if we get lucky in the draw we get 6 qualifiers then into another 6 group games before knockout rounds. How many games have each played for us in europe?

Was going to say the same, the 'norm' back in the day was we get drawn against some unheard of mob, scrape through then get papped out second round, so average between 2 and 4 euro games at the start of each season. Now if we get lucky in the draw we get 6 qualifiers then into another 6 group games before knockout rounds. How many games have each played for us in europe?
Alfie 33, Ally 56.

He just needs to start matching Ally's goals against celtic... It's incredible he's not not scored against them.

Still, great effort in Europe, and deserves a lot of the plaudits for recent euro runs

It is the millstone around his neck no matter what we fans think. He has had some absolutely terrible misses against them.

Last seasons LC final is the standout, where chance after chance was passed up (along with some fine goalkeeping) and you cannot help but believe that Alfie must be jinxed in some way and is destined never to score against them.

Lets hope he is here long enough to finally put that jinx to bed (as much as I'd love him to stay I still think he will go before window closes).

Last edited:
I don’t really think ally scored against that much better teams eaither obv his goals against Leeds etc who were probably 1 of the best teams in the world at the time , but still a great feat from wee Alfie

I don’t really think ally scored against that much better teams eaither obv his goals against Leeds etc who were probably 1 of the best teams in the world at the time , but still a great feat from wee Alfie
They finished 17th the season we played them :)). I know they were the champions however.

I agree with your point, bear in mind Portuguese and Danish champions are teams like Ally would have played against!. Who Buffalo has scored 5 against.

Realistically Alfie has only scored 6 against jobbers, the rest have been against very decent teams.

Last edited:
Just goes to show how difficult it is to compare players from different eras.

When McCoist was scoring quarter final and semi final goals Morelos was on the end of another suspension for stupidity or dropped by the Manager.

It's quite telling how standards have slipped, no more heroes anymore I say again until we actually win major honours.

Bohemians
Ilves Tampere
Boavista
Dynamo Kiev
Steau Bucharest (pen)
Valletta x 2 (1 pen)
Red Star Belgrade
Leeds Utd x 2
Alania Vladikavkaz x 4
Grasshoppers x 2 (1 pen)
GI Gotu x 3

Morelos – 20 goals (1 pen) in 33 games:
Osijek
Maribor
Rapid Vienna x 2
St Joseph's x 4 (1 pen)
Midtjylland x 3
Legia Warsaw
Young Boys x 2
Porto x 2
Feyenoord x 2
Lincoln Red Imps x 2

I count 7 goals vs minnows for Ally and 6 for Alfie. Makes Alfie's even more impressive.

edit: 8/11 games and it should be 9 with a goal in Moscow.
Or the dross that McCoist failed to score in?

Just goes to show how difficult it is to compare players from different eras.

When McCoist was scoring quarter final and semi final goals Morelos was on the end of another suspension for stupidity or dropped by the Manager.

It's quite telling how standards have slipped, no more heroes anymore I say again until we actually win major honours.
Aye because McCoist never had his troubles during his Rangers career when he wasn't getting selected.

Imagine you're a youngster who has grown up supporting Rangers over the last 10 years. You've gone from watching absolute shite like Kevin Kyle and Fran Sandaza struggle against Annan Athletic to watching Morelos, Kent and their team-mates give clubs like Porto a lesson in how to play football at Ibrox. No wonder they think the wee Colombian is a hero. Your post is just miserable for the sake of it. Alfie isn't as good a player as Ally was, very few are. Did the last decade not happen to you?

It’s an amazing achievement and shows how much value he’s brought in during his short time at the club

For me, Gerrard’s main objective here.
I long ago accepted that we are going to have to take the rough with the smooth when it comes to Morelos. He's young, he's ambitious and his personality is firey. This is a kid who has come from nothing and gives so much back to the community which brought him up.

At points I've been raging with him when he does something daft, I think we all have, but I genuinely think he'll stay this year and rip it up. Especially now that the pressure will be off him at points because we can play Roofe or Itten.

Back