Alfie today, from a different perspective.

On another day, Alife has four goals.

Some wonder saves and some inexact finishing compounded a bad day for him , however, what I will say is this. That was the most one sided performance from a single player since the days of Gazza & Laudrup. He totally run riot with them and they didnt have a clue how to deal with him. He's winning the league for us.

Love Alfie to bits, his work rate and fight was second to none
Where he lets himself down is when it comes to the greater good. All world class strikers are selfish in front of goal but and I understand he's desperate to score against them BUT in a final he has to look for the assist from those tight angles, go a couple up then he can shoot from wherever the %^*& he wants.
With regard to the penalty incident, whether it's been discussed before or not I don't agree with him being the pen taker. He's a very emotional guy, especially against them and I think he was too hyped up to calmly take that pen. Although he's an outstanding goalscorer he's not a natural finisher or overly clean ball striker. You need a cool and calm head, and if a new penalty taker is required you have guys like Jack, Arfield or Barasic more than capable to side footing a pen into a corner.
I may get criticised here but there is a difference between a natural goal scorer and natural finisher

He’s played about a dozen times against them and never scored. You can analyse his numerous chances all you want but it’s just not good enough for a Rangers striker.

Young player with a bit of learning to do. Not good enough? .... that’s hysteria talking.

I felt sorry for Alfie, he is being criticised for this finishing, yesterday I honestly think he was just very unlucky, he almost scored 4. Just one of those days and I have seen even the very best footballers in the world have days like that. The fact that he got into those positions is encouraging. If he gets into those positions at the piggery, he will score.

Morelos was unplayable yesterday. Bullied anyone that got near him, just one of those days for him where the goals as reward for his performance. Really can’t fault anyone yesterday, it was a great performance and we showed we are better than them. We will go to the Piggery with no fear and beat them. Winning the cup would have been nice but our season is the title!

How does that even make sense when Defoe is joint top scorer in league.

You know what I mean , only one regular goalscorer in our starting 11 be it Morelos or Defoe.

He won't play them as a two. We obviously need somebody who can link properly with Morelos and regularly chip in with goals of their own.

He’s played about a dozen times against them and never scored. You can analyse his numerous chances all you want but it’s just not good enough for a Rangers striker.

Out of interest, how many games did it take Larsson to score against us in a much better team?

It's easy to say Morelos has played 'x' amount of games against Celtic - but some of them were in our worst ever teams where conceding 5 goals and getting pumped was the norm.

My bigger concern is that this week we had two matches where Alfie was off the boil/unlucky/wasn't his day (whatever anyone wants to call it) and we failed to get the desired results.

The weight of pressure and expectation on him is too much, despite being largely of his own making due to his exceptional form and dragging us out of the mire on a good few occasions.

We need to be able to cope with days where he doesn't get the breaks (because he's going to have those days - and he's earned them) and still win matches, particularly big ones.

We're far from a one-man team, yet we are still massively dependent on him to carry us through and it results in him becoming the focus of ire when things don't go his way on rare occasions.

It is the proverbial chain around his neck, and he played really well. I think once he scores, he'll score a load. They're scared of him, they know he's got their number.

Must be a mentality thing with him as he gets rattled any time we play them. On another day he could have been sent off with his persistent fouling throughout the game.

Still never done the most important part tho.
Gutted for him.
No, but they had to drag him down in the box to deny him from scoring an easy chance, and thus couldn't keep a full team on the park to enable themselves to stop him.
We failed to score as a team, but Alfie did more than anyone to make it possible for us to score.
He tore their defence to shreds and it took their goalkeeper to play out of his skin and a huge slice of luck to stop him getting on the scoresheet.

You won't read any of that in the fckn Scottish newspapers.

No, but they had to drag him down in the box to deny him from scoring an easy chance, and thus couldn't keep a full team on the park to enable themselves to stop him.
We failed to score as a team, but Alfie did more than anyone to make it possible for us to score.
He tore their defence to shreds and it took their goalkeeper to play out of his skin and a huge slice of luck to stop him getting on the scoresheet.

You won't read any of that in the fckn Scottish newspapers.
I just can't see him scoring against them now especially missing from 12 yards.

Out of interest, how many games did it take Larsson to score against us in a much better team?

It's easy to say Morelos has played 'x' amount of games against Celtic - but some of them were in our worst ever teams where conceding 5 goals and getting pumped was the norm.

while that is true is doesnt get away with the facts he's missed sitters against them in a couple of those games, sitter at Ibrox in the 3-2 game and now a penalty. His record is very poor against them sadly and was a major factor in our defeat.

Penalty aside - I’d be disappointed if McGregor never made all those saves that Forster made. He had a good game but he never saved anything the he wouldn’t have been expected to save imo.

I just can't see him scoring against them now especially missing from 12 yards.
He didn't miss the penalty it was saved.
Not the best penalty I agree and he never struck it sweetly enough, but a goalkeeper having the game of his life still needed to steal a yeard to make that save.
He would probably have scored had Frimpong not hauled him back when he looked to have an open goal.

I think he will score and if he gets one, he will get more.

Anybody suggesting he had a good game needs their heads looked. He had more chances than you could expect in 3 finals.
Beyond that his misses affected him and got more erratic as the game went on-I suspect in time that won't happen but he's not there yet and it did yesterday..

At this end of football and you can ask Stevie G it's about doing your job when it matters Alfie didn't do his yesterday.

Saying he played well yesterday is like saying a pilot did a really good job until he crashed on landing.

He shouldn't be a scapegoat by any stretch but it's taking denial to a new level to suggest there were so many positives-there weren't.

Back