Alfie today, from a different perspective.

When was the last time a single player bossed their defence like that? Finishing aside he was excellent but finishing is the most important thing and on a couple of occasions he should have shown more composure. The header in particular

A few of his shots were hit well enough and deserved to go in apart from Forster playing a blinder

He seems to have a mental block against them, because he wants it so much - and he knows what it means to the manager and the rest of us.

He's at his absolute best when he acts instinctively and does what comes naturally to him.

When he starts to think about it, it seems to bring an added pressure to him that messes with his natural ability.

The harder he tries, the worse he gets. By the end of the game, he was blootering it anywhere. On another day, he'd be deftly slipping it under the keeper.

Do you ever tire of posting shite? Have you ever played football in your puff?

“He should have had a hat-trick”. Well no not really, he was denied by some excellent goalkeeping, he didn’t miss 6 yards out right in front of goal, he had chances that were good but not exactly sitters. He had opportunities where he forced good saves from the keeper, one being a particularly excellent save.

There is no excuse for his penalty, it was shite, he choked it and his head went thereafter, but he’ll be under enough pressure and getting enough grief without clueless fans coming out with shite like eh “he should have had a hat-trick and he’s not good enough”, as though he’s cúnted three back post tap ins. He’s dragged us through quite a lot, he’s already on 25 goals for the season and that includes goals against sides better than Celtic, but he’s ‘not good enough’? Rangers don’t need ‘fans’ like you mate.

Yes I have played football, I’d hazard a guess at a higher level than you probably have as well

You can claim Forster pulled off excellent saves but equally Morelos should have hit the net

Penalty
1 on 1 early on he only had to lift over the keeper

I’ve never stated he isn’t good enough. He’s been class. I stated not good enough as in his record against the bheasts.

When was the last time a single player bossed their defence like that? Finishing aside he was excellent but finishing is the most important thing and on a couple of occasions he should have shown more composure. The header in particular

Morelos - about every time he plays them, great, magic but it’s not computing to the results we need against them.

He had 9 attempts at goal there full team had 4 he was piss poor in front of goal and snatched at chances everything else outside the box was very good

I think he tries too hard against them and that affects his natural ability just flowing. He's in danger of them being his bogie team.

Aribo , Kent , Arfield
Barisic got in good positions but crossing was not usual standard (overhit)
Goldson strolled it until a proper striker came on , he immediately was gave away the free kick for then goal and was then rag dolled when Johnston missed a sitter.
Barker was a waste of a sub.
Aribo was OK. He didn't give Tav much help defensively but his unorthodox but effective footwork and great close control kept the ball moving when we were up against a packed defense. He didnt set the world on fire but he definitely contributed and didn't have a bad game and did not hide.

Kent was immediately doubled and tripled up on him as soon as he got the ball. I expected he would rout Frimpong but for an 18yo he is good. Very athletic and faster than Kent. Raw but his athleticism was enough to cover his mistakes (except the pen). Kent had a couple of great moments (remember him skipping past Brown and another player on the edge of the box??) and gave his all for the full 96 minutes. He didn't set the world on fire but he did not play badly and did not hide.

Arfield didn't play great but he was again not playing in his best position. He had to play in the middle of the park due to us losing Davis. I think he had an OK game despite a few terrible shots. On the whole, he wasn't BAD and he didn't hide.

Barisic mishit a few crosses definitely but he didn't play badly. I think the surface and the weather affected him later in the game. Defensively he was more than solid and he definitely did not play badly and did not hide. Also, crosses in to the box are not the way to beat Celtic. Both their center backs are tall and good in the air (although they seem to be poor at defensive set pieces).

Goldson, I don't disagree with your comments and he slid in when he shouldnt have when Edouard created the opportunity for Johnston (which wasnt a sitter).

Barker, agreed. I would have put Stewart on for Aribo BUT this would have affected our width going forward (which was our problem vs them last time at Ibrox). Gerrard put Barker on so he could move Kent central which didn't work out. I think Barker would need a run of games to find form. I would rather start him than Ojo in league games at Ibrox against bottom half teams. After all, we own him so we should be trying to get the best out of him.

Last edited:
I don't think anyone faults his overall contribution but facts are he had at least 5 chances to score today and did not score any of them. I want my strikers scoring against them in cup finals. It isn't good enough.

And no I'm not suggesting we punt him either as I do love him.

He’s played about a dozen times against them and never scored. You can analyse his numerous chances all you want but it’s just not good enough for a Rangers striker.
Gordon Durie never let it affect him.

He’s played about a dozen times against them and never scored. You can analyse his numerous chances all you want but it’s just not good enough for a Rangers striker.
He's a great striker,I think the pressure to score against them is in his head a wee bit.He was trying to blast every shot into the net,including the penalty when a wee dink over the keeper or a controlled shot would have been better.I am sure Stevie G will get him to relax a bit against them next time.

Great post op. Alfie’s failure to score wasn’t for lack of trying. He got plenty on target but sometimes it just doesn’t happen. The pen was poor and thought him taking it wasn’t a good decision. He put in a shift though and if someone needs to be blamed, it shouldn’t be him.

Yes I have played football, I’d hazard a guess at a higher level than you probably have as well

You can claim Forster pulled off excellent saves but equally Morelos should have hit the net

Penalty
1 on 1 early on he only had to lift over the keeper

I’ve never stated he isn’t good enough. He’s been class. I stated not good enough as in his record against the bheasts.

Nah I don’t think you have mate. Your assertion that he should have had a hat-trick is the give away. I’m not claiming Forster made excellent saves, I’m telling you he did. The only chance he perhaps should have done better with was the header at be back post, he’s headed it into the ground too much which has resulted in the pace coming out of it and the ball coming back up at a nice height for the keeper. The first couple of chances he did what he should, hard and low, trouble is there’s not much to aim at when the angle is narrowed and the keeper in front of you is 6’6”. On the second chance he directs it low and hard to the corner but Foster makes a save that if it were made up the other end would have people lauding McGregor as the saviour.

No defence for the penalty, he choked, and the final chance he had his head and composure were gone by that point. Everything from the penalty onwards is worthy of criticism, but up to that point he had them o the ropes and he was unlucky. That’s before we even get it the fact he should have actually had two penalties after Scotland’s only bullet proof player got away with a blatant kick with no intention of going for the ball.

he was fucking atrocious against aberdeen the other night as well

if you pay 7 fucking million you have to contribute to winning games like that

so what you saying ?,, Gerrard, the fans and the board wanted him ?

I remember Laudrup, (pardon my ignorance over your age), taking time to hit top gear.

The guy scored a cracker v hamilton, been pivotal in europe.

Have you got pre ejaculation problems ?, just debating your input and trying to see it from your point of view ?

Aribo was OK. He didn't give Tav much help defensively but his unorthodox but effective footwork and great close control kept the ball moving when we were up against a packed defense. He didnt set the world on fire but he definitely contributed and didn't have a bad game and did not hide.

Kent was immediately doubled and tripled up on him as soon as he got the ball. I expected he would rout Frimpong but for an 18yo he is good. Very athletic and faster than Kent. Raw but his athleticism was enough to cover his mistakes (except the pen). Kent had a couple of great moments (remember him skipping past Brown and another player on the edge of the box??) and gave his all for the full 96 minutes. He didn't set the world on fire but he did not play badly and did not hide.

Arfield didn't play great but he was again not playing in his best position. He had to play in the middle of the park due to us losing Davis. I think he had an OK game despite a few terrible shots. On the whole, he wasn't BAD and he didn't hide.

Barisic mishit a few crosses definitely but he didn't play badly. I think the surface and the weather affected him later in the game. Defensively he was more than solid and he definitely did not play badly and did not hide.

Goldson, I don't disagree with your comments and he slid in when he shouldnt have when Edouard created the opportunity for Johnston (which wasnt a sitter).

Barker, agreed. I would have put Stewart on for Aribo BUT this would have affected our width going forward (which was our problem vs them last time at Ibrox). Gerrard put Barker on so he could move Kent central which didn't work out. I think Barker would need a run of games to find form. I would rather start him than Ojo in league games at Ibrox against bottom half teams. After all, we own him so we should be trying to get the best out of him.
So in your opinion if a player doesn’t hide but doesn’t make a positive contribution this is different from a no show ?

Gordon Durie never let it affect him.

With respect, Gordon Durie isn't in the same ball park in terms of importance or ability.

Morelos has scored more in three months that Durie managed in about 4 seasons for us.

I remember Laudrup, (pardon my ignorance over your age), taking time to hit top gear.

Have you got pre ejaculation problems ?, just debating your input and trying to see it from your point of view ?
Scoring crackers against Hamilton doesn’t win trophies.

He absolutely ran them scumbags ragged today. He had four or five shots on target, three of which he made himself. Forster somehow kept them all out. Most weeks he scores one or two of these. He was brought down for the penalty and red and and we should have had at least one more penalty for fouls on him.

But he just couldn't score and I could only criticise his penalty. It must have been the most frustrating game of his life.

I hate to say it but I agree here. He's clearly a top class talent, he'll go for big money and have a great career but his inability to score against them is worrying. That was the best chance he'll be given. Just need to hope he does it at new year.

laudrup FFS

I see that Alfie is getting it in the neck because he never scored.
Fair enough one might think, but and there is a great big fckn but.

On three occasions Alfie caused so many problems for their defence that by himself he could have seen us awarded three penalties.
The one that we did get might well have seen Alfie in on goal with a fairly simple finish.

He was cheated from that finish, but he was the man who found the position.
Which leads me to his many chances.
Most of them were from his own clever physical play as a frontman, and in nearly every occasion he brought out a save from Forster from a shot on target.

Overall, he was a total menace all day to them, he carried our front line superbly, he dealt with their physical challenge almost with ease and he opened them up time and time again.
On another day with a less fortunate goalkeeper having the game of his life, Alfie would have had a hat trick.
As it was his penalty was saved, but with more honest or at least observant officials, that penalty would have had to be retaken.

You can spin a lot of things in a lot of different ways, but today Morelos didn't have a poor game, he had an unlucky one.
In truth, our team did.
Morelos has been brilliant, he'll move for a big fee, his overall play today was decent, he missed a few chances and that's his weakness, if he works on that he'll be a too player.

The best summation I can make of today is we never won because we missed too many chances. We lost due to a diabolical decision by a linesman.

The only better Celtic player than Rangers player today was the keeper.

As for.Alfie, he kept his head up. But, he could still need a wee cuddle.

Morelos today, even taking one of those chances, would have earned him MOTM in any other fixture. He missed chances but the majority were from opportunities he dug out on his own accord. Had others been more alert it could have been a different story; the first chance that Forster spilled and the one across the face of goal early second half were begging to be turned in.

Aribo, Kent and Arfield did make positive contributions. Did you read my post?
In what way ? , did they change the game in any way ? , did they score ?
Did they play a crucial ball
Morelos is being slaughtered tonight , how many goals have these three scored between them all season ?

I see that Alfie is getting it in the neck because he never scored.
Fair enough one might think, but and there is a great big fckn but.

On three occasions Alfie caused so many problems for their defence that by himself he could have seen us awarded three penalties.
The one that we did get might well have seen Alfie in on goal with a fairly simple finish.

He was cheated from that finish, but he was the man who found the position.
Which leads me to his many chances.
Most of them were from his own clever physical play as a frontman, and in nearly every occasion he brought out a save from Forster from a shot on target.

Overall, he was a total menace all day to them, he carried our front line superbly, he dealt with their physical challenge almost with ease and he opened them up time and time again.
On another day with a less fortunate goalkeeper having the game of his life, Alfie would have had a hat trick.
As it was his penalty was saved, but with more honest or at least observant officials, that penalty would have had to be retaken.

You can spin a lot of things in a lot of different ways, but today Morelos didn't have a poor game, he had an unlucky one.
In truth, our team did.

Broadly agree with you Bilko. He’s given their whole team defensively problems & really should have had three penalty awards, AS WELL AS A RETAKE ON THE MISSED ONE, as BT highlighted.

To be objective there are three occasions where I think he let himself down through a combination of execution and decision making :

The missed penalty, despite Foster going early, was very poorly executed IMO. I thought his run up was too straight & short do didnt allow his body to open up enough to place it in the corner.

The shot from about 16 yds not long afterwards he ballooned over the bar was very poor. Really let himself down there.

I’d like to see again the last first half chance from a different angle as I thought he could have laid it on s plate for Kent. As I say I’m not 100% sure until I see this again.

But he did again prove that he really can unsettle that mob defensively & Brown & Mikey Johnston fouling him in the box, as well as Frimpong obviously, showed how much he unsettled them.

Broadly agree with you Bilko. He’s given their whole team defensively problems & really should have had three penalty awards, AS WELL AS A RETAKE ON THE MISSED ONE, as BT highlighted.

To be objective there are three occasions where I think he let himself down through a combination of execution and decision making :

The missed penalty, despite Foster going early, was very poorly executed IMO. I thought his run up was too straight & short do didnt allow his body to open up enough to place it in the corner.

The shot from about 16 yds not long afterwards he ballooned over the bar was very poor. Really let himself down there.

I’d like to see again the last first half chance from a different angle as I thought he could have laid it on s plate for Kent. As I say I’m not 100% sure until I see this again.

But he did again prove that he really can unsettle that mob defensively & Brown & Mikey Johnston fouling him in the box, as well as Frimpong obviously, showed how much he unsettled them.
Yes, there was the odd moment when Alfie should probably have shown more composure and the comment that he might have been trying too hard is maybe true, but he is one helluva player nonetheless.
I can see why Gerrard changed the penalty taker, but I just wish Alfie had perhaps been given one already this season rather than pushed into the role in such a huge game.

Usually, after a loss against them I am desolate, but today at least I could see that the players were up for it, our tactics were good, we played a lot of nice stuff and opened them up often with some ease.
Steven Gerrard is a good manager, he understands players and mentality and the important thing is that our players focus on the many positives from today, because there was a ton of them.

Legia, Maribor, Rapid, Porto, Osijek, Feyenoord, Young Boys are ‘all the shite of the day AB ?

Think you should go to bed mate.

We’re all fucking hurting & he did let himself down on occasion today but that BS mate.
He needs a goal against them badly how many more chances does he need? He’s been fantastic for us this season but he can’t handle playing against that lot

Morelos is being slaughtered tonight , how many goals have these three scored between them all season ?
Maybe we just have to disagree on the definition of "no show". The way I see it by your definition the only players who showed up today were Forster, Jullien and whichever one of them it was that took the free kick. Jack didn't change the game, score or play a crucial ball? Yet he was immense.

If we can step back from the situation for a second, do we agree Aribo and Kent are going to be great players for us and will make us money when they are sold on?

Arfield has been off the boil for a while but tbh Gerrard didn't have a choice here with the injury to Davis.

He's employed to score goals, not just against them, anyone that thinks he hasn't been doing his job this season is simply a fucking mong
If he doesn't do it against them we win %^*& all, we have to beat them to achieve success, having a forward who has a mental block against them is counter productive to our progress.

Maybe we just have to disagree on the definition of "no show". The way I see it by your definition the only players who showed up today were Forster, Jullien and whoever took that free kick.

If we can step back from the situation for a second, Aribo and Kent are going to be great players for us and will make us money when they are sold on.

Arfield has been off the boil for a while but tbh Gerrard didn't have a choice here with the injury to Davis.
He will.
I can see him scoring on Thursday.
I think today will just make him more determined to succeed, to be honest.

He needs a goal against them badly how many more chances does he need? He’s been fantastic for us this season but he can’t handle playing against that lot

I’m as gutted as you tonight mate & he 100% should have scored today. You are 100% right on that.

All I’m saying is the boy HAS scored against very good teams & I’d also add that we wouldn’t make as many chances without him as we did today.

It was something like 19-4 shots on goal for us today. In fact they had one shot on target & it was a goal, which was offside as we know.

He's employed to score goals, not just against them, anyone that thinks he hasn't been doing his job this season is simply a fucking mong
Btw it's only a fucking mong that doesn't see that not scoring against them is a big big fucking problem, if we are throwing mong insults about it's a two way street.

Back