Alfie v Defoe

Defoe or Morelos to start?

• Defoe

Votes: 194 54.6%
  • Morelos

Votes: 161 45.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I wouldn't say that's a valid comparison mate. In general the guys on the City bench worth tens of millions are being kept out by other guys worth even more tens of millions.

What we are saying here is that Morelos - whom most agree should be worth an 8 figure sum - shouldn't be starting ahead of the 36 year old Defoe. Both have their place in our team. Both are good players. They each have differing roles to play though and Morelos offers more as the regular starter whereas Defoe offers more as the impact sub.

To be fair, the poll changed from being who was the better player to who would be first pick.

I voted Defoe, because I think in quality terms he is a better player, largely due to his experience showing through and his match intelligence.

That said, I also acknowledge his years and that with Morelos being a perfectly good first choice striker as well, you'd absolutely justify using Defoe more as an impact sub - which he's amazingly fitted for at this stage in his career - rather than leave the younger option who probably has greater capacity for game minutes (and a shop window value to consider) sitting on the bench.

Overall, I think Defoe is the better quality of the two, but I would probably start Morelos ahead of him more often than not because he's still amply good enough and it provides a good balance for rotation and fitness - if that makes sense?...

For games we are dominating I prefer Defoe, for games where we are up against it I prefer Alfie.

As we should be dominating most of the games I think selling Alfie for £10-12m now seems like an attractive option providing we reinvest.

It worries me how many have said Defoe, I'd speculate that some will never forgive him for the sending off at the piggery last seaason.
Alfie brings so much more to the team. Different types of player and both missed chances last night but I'd start Alfie every day of the week.

For games we are dominating I prefer Defoe, for games where we are up against it I prefer Alfie.

As we should be dominating most of the games I think selling Alfie for £10-12m now seems like an attractive option providing we reinvest.

Aye ok £10m - £12m gie yerself piece :rolleyes:

People need to calm down ffs, a lot of angry folk on this thread bitching with each other.

They will both play a huge part, they will both have pish games, they will both have great games.

People need to calm down ffs, a lot of angry folk on this thread bitching with each other.

They will both play a huge part, they will both have pish games, they will both have great games.

It's a good problem to have. I have noticed a trend on here were posters are trying to shut down any discussion on the team.

It worries me how many have said Defoe, I'd speculate that some will never forgive him for the sending off at the piggery last seaason.
Alfie brings so much more to the team. Different types of player and both missed chances last night but I'd start Alfie every day of the week.

Why? Do you think Stevie G will check this poll before he picks the team? :D

The thing thats annoying me is some posters giving abuse because someone has a different opinion, the poll is almost 50/50 so everyone has a different opinion on it and i can understand why.
It's a bit childish when they try and shout posters down in posts for having a differing opinion, forums are here exactly for that reason.

Horses for courses! Two players with varying attributes.

Some Defoe’s attributes (movement & composure) are better than Morelos’

Some of Morelos’ attributes (power, strength and ability to create a half chance for himself) are better than Defoe’s.

The chosen striker should depend on current form and the oppositions likely tactics.

Considering Morelos’ form in the europe so far - he was the right player to start the game last night. Only with hindsight, do I think the first half would’ve been more suited to Defoe’s style, movement/composure in and around the danger area.

The first game of the new domestic season, i’d likely stick with Morelos. The plastic pitch will not make for much football so the outcome of the game might be more related to the physicality of our play. Morelos also has a good record against Kilmarnock.

Contradiction here but whilst I feel Alfie is our best player, I’d go into games more confident with Defoe starting.

We've been negotiating with teams for weeks regarding Morelos and we are labelling him a 15-20m quid talent, it would then be silly on our part to bench him wouldn't it? Doesn't actually do much for convincing teams he's worth that sort of money.

I still think he will be away before the end of the window but it'll be nowhere near 20m we get for him.

The extreme opinions on here are mental. People entrenched in camps because they've backed a certain horse.

Morelos goes we will replace him and Defoe is also a top player. This ''we couldn't win the spl'' pish with Defoe as our striker. Deary me. He's got the best min to goals and assist ratio in the country since being here. Play to his strengths and he will score a barrowload. Aye but what about the big bustling scottish centre halves? They're bigger, faster and better down south than up here ya looneys :D

I said it on another thread. The chances alfie missed tonight defoe scores, defoe would be 1st choice for me
Not only chances, but overall decision-making. That chance Alfie had that he put past the post when Jack was next to him for a tap-in. If that's Defoe, he lets it run to Jack and we score.

Three types of posters for Morelos.

Firstly,
The type who think the sun shines out his arse, any wrong doing is always someone else’s fault, and no matter how good Defoe plays - any other poster who comments to that regard are accused of just being a Morelos hater.

A few of these posters have outed themselves on here recently.

Secondly,
The type who just can’t stand Morelos. No matter how good he plays or how many goals he scores, these posters will pick up on his flaws. They also seem to be waiting on his next booking/red card to say “I told you so”

A few of these posters often out themselves on here without effort also.

Lastly - the rare breed.
The type who call it as it is. A balance view of the player. Acknowledge’s his strengths (there are many) and his weaknesses (there are undoubtedly a few obvious ones). Sometimes he can let himself down, sometimes he’s an outright match-winner. The type who see what Morelos could become and not what he has previously been or who he currently is at this point in time.

This type of poster gets it in the neck from the other two types depending on their view at that point in time.

You don’t need to look far to filter FF posters into these categories :))

Last edited:
Out of the 2 i prefer Morelos as the lone CF but....

Morelos lost his place in the team due to his own actions and Defoe did everything that was asked of him when he was filling in so i think it should have been Defoe's shirt to lose.

Defoe would of stuck the two good chances morelos had away that's the difference for me. I love alfredo but Defoe's finishing is miles ahead we can't afford to have games like we did last season like hibs away where morelos should of had a hatrick but we only come away with a point.

Or games like Kilmarnock away which we drew and where Defoe didn’t even hit the target when one on one with the keeper

What were the two chances? The blocked effort? The one in which he controlled and spun at an angle where it was near impossible to wrap his foot right around the ball?

Second half he balls’d up when he didn’t even get a shot away and it was an off night overall, I’ll concede that.

Three types of posters for Morelos.

Firstly,
The type who think the sun shines out his arse, any wrong doing is always someone else’s fault, and no matter how good Defoe plays - any other poster who comments to that regard are accused of just being a Morelos hater.

A few of these posters have outed themselves on here recently.

Secondly,
The type who just can’t stand Morelos. No matter how good he plays or how many goals he scores, these posters will pick up on his flaws. They also seem to be waiting on his next booking/red card to say “I told you so”

A few of these posters often out themselves on here without effort also.

Lastly - the rare breed.
The type who call it as it is. A balance view of the player. Acknowledge’s his strengths (there are many) and his weaknesses (there are undoubtedly a few obvious ones). Sometimes he can let himself down, sometimes he’s an outright match-winner. The type who see what Morelos could become and not what he has previously been or who he currently is at this point in time.

This type of poster gets it in the neck from the other two types depending on their view at that point in time.

You don’t need to look far to filter FF posters into these categories :))

I think the narrowing of the argument about Morelos into two broad camps is a testament to both the hardening of the Rangers support as a whole in the face of possible criticism as a result of everything we've endured over the past seven years as well as a more general cultural move towards strict dichotomies (In/Out; Yes/No; etc). I don't doubt that there are posters who don't rate Morelos as highly as others but there's an equally strong group who seem desperate to believe that people who don't share their viewpoint positively hate Morelos, in the process removing pretty much any sense of intricacy from the argument as it descends in petty name-calling and mud-slinging (You sound like Sutton, you're a Timposter, etc). Oddly this last group don't seem to like comments where the supposed haters proclaim how much of a success they want Morelos to be.

Morelos is a better player than Defoe is IMO.

But Defoe is still very, very good, and if we lose Morelos for a good chunk of change then I'm fine with Defoe being the No. 1 striker.

Tbh on its own that doesn't mean much

I get your point (I think Morelos should be first choice btw), but every single player on city's bench for example would probably go for at least 30-40 million and can't get into the first team. There's more examples than this but city is the obvious one lol
City are one of the best sides in the world mate. Leaving our most valued player on the bench makes no sense. Also what do you think happens to his 'value' if he can't get a game for us?

I think because he had an off night yesterday is the reason Defoe is more popular. Fans have short memories.

Defoe starts - he makes everyone else around him better.

Morelos starts - he strives to make himself better.

This means that when Morelos starts and is off the pace then we struggle as a team but if Defoe starts and is off the pace he still creates space & chances for Arfield, Jones, Ojo etc.

Defoe starts for me.

Morelos is the best player in the league, has the potential to be world class, id start Morelos in every single game.

Morelos looks like he’s putting in more effort , but Defoe has the intelligence to wait for the correct moment. A far classier player. That said, he’s 36 so I’d maybe start Morelos and give him an hour.

Morelos is the best striker at the club IMO however both will see plenty game time, Morelos will be at least in the 20s by end of season and Defoe wont be far behind.

I think another striker will be in before the window closes, two isn't enough with the amount of games well play this season.
And i think he'll be a completely differnt type of player to the two weve already got.i.e.maybe a big strong striker who can hold up the ball, and bring others into pĺay,and hopefully also put away chances that we create in most games.
I think our manager is even getting pissed off, with the amount of chances were missing during games, maybe a change of tactics would help big time, if we had other options.Only a thought.?

Arfield missed three sitters tonight not sure how Defoe could have stopped that.....

Spot on instead of taking on the shot with the foot nearest the ball, he kept trying to drag it inside to his other foot,, rather than shoot first time.I personally though he had quite a poor game, but that's only my honest opinion.?

I think another striker will be in before the window closes, two isn't enough with the amount of games well play this season.
And i think he'll be a completely differnt type of player to the two weve already got.i.e.maybe a big strong striker who can hold up the ball, and bring others into pĺay,and hopefully also put away chances that we create in most games.
I think our manager is even getting pissed off, with the amount of chances were missing during games, maybe a change of tactics would help big time, if we had other options.Only a thought.?

I agree with you here. Defoe and Morelos are completely different types, I think Morelos at this point is the better player, however both have a part to play as will a third striker. A third striker doesn't affect my predictions.

League hasn't started and we are on 4 and 2 already

Back