Alfredo Morelos and the Rangers coefficient turbo boost that could prolong an Ibrox love affair

Salamanca

The Ibrox star has long been linked with a transfer but with Steven Gerrard's side marching on in Europe there's no reason he can't fulfil his dreams by staying in Glasgow.

The story already seems to have been written for Alfredo Morelos.

It’s almost accepted as a given the Colombian will pack his bags in the summer and stride off into the sunset as a title-winning hero at Rangers, while making the club a fortune in the process.

There would be no hard feelings. Morelos would have played a massive role in leading Rangers back to the big time.

And a guy signed for barely £1million would see a return many times over.

But does his wild and wacky Ibrox story have to end this way?

Does Alf need to seek pastures new? Listen, if an English Premier League club slaps down £30m with the promise of 100 grand a week then there’s no question to answer.

Who would grudge him that kind of move?

But unless it’s a real cracker of an option, staying at Ibrox for another year wouldn’t be such a bad plan for any of the parties involved.

0_Rangers-FC-vs-Royal-Antwerp-UEFA-Europa-League-Last-32.jpg

Morelos could well fulfil his Euro ambitions at Rangers
Rangers’ success this season has given them a key to the treasure chest.

The Champions League will be tantalisingly close thanks to Steven Gerrard turbo-boosting Scotland’s coefficient.

Morelos might want to play at the top level – he could do it with Rangers.

The cash up for grabs in Europe next term would also soften the need to balance the books with a couple of big sales. There would no longer be a need to cash in.

It’s back on the virtuous circle that Rangers have craved for a decade.

Success breeds success – and it also generates dosh.

There’s also motivation for Morelos to stay. He’s already proved he is a star on the European stage.

His performance against Royal Antwerp the other night was phenomenal. The Belgian back-three would have needed rubber bedsheets on Thursday night after seeing the striker in their sleep.

Morelos had a hand in eight of the nine goals that sunk Antwerp and he’s up to 23 goals in Europe now – in just three seasons.

Rangers – and his – stats on the continent are unreal and there’s no reason Gerrard’s men can’t sink Slavia Prague on their way to the Europa League last-eight.

The Czech outfit are top-notch – just ask Brendan Rodgers and Leicester – but they are beatable. Especially the way Rangers have been in Europe these last couple of seasons.

The continental clashes have been the fuel for the domestic turnaround. The belief and confidence captured on their travels have shown through on the home front.

There was a fragility about Gers a year ago. Now there is a swagger. It’s the same with Morelos.

Twelve months ago he was out of form and if Lille had offered a lump sum, rather than two bob a week for 1000 years, then the
frontman could well have gone.

There will have been times when Gerrard must have mused if the striker was worth the hassle.

Then there are nights like Thursday – when the gaffer wouldn’t have swapped him for the contents of Fort Knox.

The revolution at Gers paints a different picture to the bleak scenes against Hearts and Hamilton a year ago.

One where Morelos could be leading the club in to the Champions League groups stages and doing the business in the big kids’ playground.

At that stage there really could be a mega-money bid too good for anyone to turn it down.

It looks like Gerrard will want to stick around next term and Morelos can too.

There’s still plenty of time for another chapter in his thrilling Ibrox story to be written.

Most of our potentially sellable assets will be here next season. Majority of our squad have never played CL football. Unless these guys get moves to a big 4 club in one of the big leagues, they all will want a shot at playing the big guns in the top European competition.

Different story if we get knocked out of the qualifiers though...

I think this summer will be the perfect time to sell to maximise Alfie's value but I have a sneaky suspicion that Alfie might want to stay for a shot at the Champions League next season.
I wouldn’t say the current climate is the best for these mad cunts who splash the cash, give it a summer or 2 when things get back to normal if you want to maximise his value.

The Ibrox star has long been linked with a transfer but with Steven Gerrard's side marching on in Europe there's no reason he can't fulfil his dreams by staying in Glasgow.

The story already seems to have been written for Alfredo Morelos.

It’s almost accepted as a given the Colombian will pack his bags in the summer and stride off into the sunset as a title-winning hero at Rangers, while making the club a fortune in the process.

There would be no hard feelings. Morelos would have played a massive role in leading Rangers back to the big time.

And a guy signed for barely £1million would see a return many times over.

But does his wild and wacky Ibrox story have to end this way?

Does Alf need to seek pastures new? Listen, if an English Premier League club slaps down £30m with the promise of 100 grand a week then there’s no question to answer.

Who would grudge him that kind of move?

But unless it’s a real cracker of an option, staying at Ibrox for another year wouldn’t be such a bad plan for any of the parties involved.

0_Rangers-FC-vs-Royal-Antwerp-UEFA-Europa-League-Last-32.jpg

Morelos could well fulfil his Euro ambitions at Rangers
Rangers’ success this season has given them a key to the treasure chest.

The Champions League will be tantalisingly close thanks to Steven Gerrard turbo-boosting Scotland’s coefficient.

Morelos might want to play at the top level – he could do it with Rangers.

The cash up for grabs in Europe next term would also soften the need to balance the books with a couple of big sales. There would no longer be a need to cash in.

It’s back on the virtuous circle that Rangers have craved for a decade.

Success breeds success – and it also generates dosh.

There’s also motivation for Morelos to stay. He’s already proved he is a star on the European stage.

His performance against Royal Antwerp the other night was phenomenal. The Belgian back-three would have needed rubber bedsheets on Thursday night after seeing the striker in their sleep.

Morelos had a hand in eight of the nine goals that sunk Antwerp and he’s up to 23 goals in Europe now – in just three seasons.

Rangers – and his – stats on the continent are unreal and there’s no reason Gerrard’s men can’t sink Slavia Prague on their way to the Europa League last-eight.

The Czech outfit are top-notch – just ask Brendan Rodgers and Leicester – but they are beatable. Especially the way Rangers have been in Europe these last couple of seasons.

The continental clashes have been the fuel for the domestic turnaround. The belief and confidence captured on their travels have shown through on the home front.

There was a fragility about Gers a year ago. Now there is a swagger. It’s the same with Morelos.

Twelve months ago he was out of form and if Lille had offered a lump sum, rather than two bob a week for 1000 years, then the
frontman could well have gone.

There will have been times when Gerrard must have mused if the striker was worth the hassle.

Then there are nights like Thursday – when the gaffer wouldn’t have swapped him for the contents of Fort Knox.

The revolution at Gers paints a different picture to the bleak scenes against Hearts and Hamilton a year ago.

One where Morelos could be leading the club in to the Champions League groups stages and doing the business in the big kids’ playground.

At that stage there really could be a mega-money bid too good for anyone to turn it down.

It looks like Gerrard will want to stick around next term and Morelos can too.

There’s still plenty of time for another chapter in his thrilling Ibrox story to be written.

who wrote that, a scottish journo? FFS have I woke up in a parallel universe?

Most of our potentially sellable assets will be here next season. Majority of our squad have never played CL football. Unless these guys get moves to a big 4 club in one of the big leagues, they all will want a shot at playing the big guns in the top European competition.

Different story if we get knocked out of the qualifiers though...
I really want Kamara to sign a new contract. The rest of our sellable assets I would want to keep and add quality around them but it may not be possible the club will have to start balancing the books at some stage :(

I think this summer will be the perfect time to sell to maximise Alfie's value but I have a sneaky suspicion that Alfie might want to stay for a shot at the Champions League next season.
I disagree, Alfie is suited to the European style of football and will probably end up in somewhere like France or Italy. French teams especially are struggling financially at the moment.

He’s also at his best in the Europa League so a decent run in the CL could work wonders for his value. He’s got the potential to go for a lot more than just £15/16 million and imo his new role in our team will attract new interest as well.

We enter CL Q3 and will be seeded for that tie and will probably need a few more wins this season in EL and some favours off others to be seeded for the playoff round.

I disagree, Alfie is suited to the European style of football and will probably end up in somewhere like France or Italy. French teams especially are struggling financially at the moment.

He’s also at his best in the Europa League so a decent run in the CL could work wonders for his value. He’s got the potential to go for a lot more than just £15/16 million and imo his new role in our team will attract new interest as well.

I disagree with you mate. I think Alfie suits the a more physical style of football and I think he'd be better moving to England or Germany. I think he'd be excellent for a club like Everton.

The problem we seem to have with Alfie is that nobody seems to think now is the right time to sell him. They always want another 6 months or 12 months and I completely understand that but we need to realise that we have to sell when his value/reputation is at it's highest.

If we kept him and he performed well in the Champions League then you're adding £10million onto his valuation. If we don't make it and he sulks (which isn't too out of character) his value could drop £5/6million.

Thought this to myself a few weeks back, unless a club who's a regular in CL comes along and offers big $$ then my guess is he will stay. Probably depending on how far we go ourselves but If we made the groups then I guess he'll see that out.

Seems settled to life in Scotland, correct me if I'm wrong but going by his social media he's out of the apartment now and into a house?

I disagree with you mate. I think Alfie suits the a more physical style of football and I think he'd be better moving to England or Germany. I think he'd be excellent for a club like Everton.

The problem we seem to have with Alfie is that nobody seems to think now is the right time to sell him. They always want another 6 months or 12 months and I completely understand that but we need to realise that we have to sell when his value/reputation is at it's highest.

If we kept him and he performed well in the Champions League then you're adding £10million onto his valuation. If we don't make it and he sulks (which isn't too out of character) his value could drop £5/6million.
So if you want to maximise his value you give him a season in the Champions League, going by your post. I agree.

I would never have guessed that was a Michael Gannon article. Refreshing to read a positive piece in the Scottish media.

Id be delighted if Alfie stayed another year. I understand the business side of things may dictate he has to be sold, but quite honestly id love to keep all our assets and add to them. Gerrard has proven beyond any doubt that he can get European results, with further investment, who would honestly bet against us getting into the group stage and maybe even beyond?

If he stays and performs well in the CL next season, it's the difference of him securing a 50-75k contract or a 100k+ contract on his next move. I hope he stays for a crack at the CL. We're a much better team with him but if he wants to go this summer and we get the right price, then he should go with our thanks

We enter CL Q3 and will be seeded for that tie and will probably need a few more wins this season in EL and some favours off others to be seeded for the playoff round.
will be not be seeded for the playoff round if just one of the seeds is knocked out prior to that stage?

I think Morelos will go, as will Barisic. The books need a couple of entries in the Credit column. 8 figures for each of them.

Back