Alfredo Morelos is back on the goal trail but he has to raise his game if he wants a move, says Kris Boyd

BlueMeanie

IF Alfredo Morelos still wants to leave Rangers, the only way he’ll have his wish granted is by getting back to what he does best — scoring goals.

In the past two games we have seen flashes of the old Alfredo, and his double on Thursday was a reminder he still has something to offer.

Against Lincoln Red Imps he looked as if he had the fire back in his belly.

He appeared more like his angrier and aggressive self, and that’s when he is at his best.

He’s not going to get a bigger club than Rangers and, while wanting to move on is not a crime, you just can’t down tools and demand to go.

You can’t rely on what you have achieved previously.

Morelos went into a sulk for a while and appeared to be living on former glories.

Steven Gerrard left him out of the squad last month and it looked like he had kicked his last ball for the club.

The Gers boss quite rightly decided if you do not train at the standard required, then you won’t be wearing the jersey.

It should be a privilege pulling on that strip — and it needs to be earned.

Morelos might still move to the next level, but the only way that will happen is by scoring regularly and giving maximum effort.

Ibrox team-mate Ryan Kent found himself in the same position when Leeds came calling.

But instead of throwing his toys out of the pram he took his game to a level that nobody else in Scotland can currently match.

Maybe Morelos has looked at how Kent handled things and the penny has finally dropped.

Certainly in his last two games we have seen glimpses that he’s back where he should be.

Over the international break he clearly knuckled down to some hard work and you can tell he is much slimmer now.

He has also been much sharper and the quality of the finishes impressed me in Gibraltar, even if the opposition didn’t.

The fact his place in the starting line-up is no longer a given might also have helped his focus.

The arrival of Kemar Roofe and Cedric Itten has increased the competition for places.

While Morelos does appear to be making the most of this second chance, I still see Roofe as the top forward at Rangers.

He is not quite up to speed after being out for a while, but there is a real intelligence to his game. He is a completely different striker to Morelos and it will be interesting to see what happens against Hibs tomorrow if he does shake off his calf strain.

Gerrard might even be able to go with both at Easter Road as they have varying qualities.

As a boss, you want players who are desperate to be in the team.

There is every chance Morelos took his place for granted and the level of performance dropped.

Now he has to be on it each day in training as well as in games.

He has been a shadow of himself since January and maybe that’s why teams are thinking twice about buying him.

If you want away, then go and show the world what you can do.

Prove to interested parties what you’re about and make the most of the time you have left in Glasgow.

Angrier and aggressive self, comments like that don’t do the player any favours, at no time did he seem angry against LRI on Thursday.
More sensationalist pish.
That is alot of crap, Morelos is the kinda player you want to be playing with his heart on his sleeve, I agree with the comments 100%, yes he could get a big move but he needs to go and prove it.

That is alot of crap, Morelos is the kinda player you want to be playing with his heart on his sleeve, I agree with the comments 100%, yes he could get a big move but he needs to go and prove it.
So what is it ? A load of crap or the bit where you say I agree with his comments ?

stay off the beer mate, Boyd is 100% correct.

I agree with Boyd, Morelos looks like the best version of himself again, focused on working hard for the team and scoring goals. I disagree Roofe is our number one forward when Morelos is on it. He is still our number one striker and by a long way in my opinion.

Angrier and aggressive self, comments like that don’t do the player any favours, at no time did he seem angry against LRI on Thursday.
I was going to mention that about angrier aggressive self wtf? I would rather he described Morelos as aggressively competitive but not angry surely?

Boyd can hardly talk about anyone downing tools. His second spell with us was nothing short of a disgrace.
Yes and no.
Yes, Boyd did as you say and better players than him have done similar.
However, he's still allowed to tell everybody it isn't the right thing to do,

I was going to mention that about angrier aggressive self wtf? I would rather he described Morelos as aggressively competitive but not angry surely?
It'd be accurate, in my opinion, to say Morelos can look angry on the pitch.
More than just, can't say anything right, Kris Boyd has said so.
Others have called that look frustrated or grumpy.
For sure though,he tends to be more focussed when he's wearing that face.

I agree with Boyd, Morelos looks like the best version of himself again, focused on working hard for the team and scoring goals. I disagree Roofe is our number one forward when Morelos is on it. He is still our number one striker and by a long way in my opinion.

Totally agree that, if staying and fully committed, Alfie is easily our best striker.

My God the arithmetic spells it out quite clearly. We want somewhere around £20m for Alfie and less than two month ago's we purchased Roofe for around £5m.

It is a Scottish media driven narrative and one which a section of our fans buy in to.

It is to make Alfie look like a loose cannon therefore justifying the shocking treatment he gets from referees and everyone else.

I think Alfie is extremely misunderstood.

For me it is not anger, it is an absolute desire to win that not a lot of players have. He wants to win at all costs and when you compare that desire to 95% of other players it obviously stands out.

He is upset when he misses chances or doesn't get passed to when he is in a good position. It is not because he is an angry person, it is purely that he wants to score as many as he can and win as many matches as he can.

If every player had his attitude we would have probably won something over the last couple of years.

Anybody who thinks a move will be based on his form over the next few games is wrong. Any team that was ready to bid £15m plus was basing it on his pre Christmas form

Judging by the way Gerrard and Carragher acted on the training pitch at Melwood, Gerrard was never going to tolerate anyone downing tools.

They'd make a smashing pairing imho.

It is a Scottish media driven narrative and one which a section of our fans buy in to.

It is to make Alfie look like a loose cannon therefore justifying the shocking treatment he gets from referees and everyone else.

I think Alfie is extremely misunderstood.

For me it is not anger, it is an absolute desire to win that not a lot of players have. He wants to win at all costs and when you compare that desire to 95% of other players it obviously stands out.

He is upset when he misses chances or doesn't get passed to when he is in a good position. It is not because he is an angry person, it is purely that he wants to score as many as he can and win as many matches as he can.

If every player had his attitude we would have probably won something over the last couple of years.
Exactly this angry wee man that these clowns continue harping on about is repeated for the sole reason to make him sound like a nut job and as you say too many of the sheep in our support are only too willing to go with it.

"He has been a shadow of himself since January and maybe that’s why teams are thinking twice about buying him. If you want away, then go and show the world what you can do."

Boyd is spot on there. We should have had teams battering down our door demanding his signature given his huge potential and his goal record until January. Part of me is gobsmacked he is still here and we're going through this whole transfer charade again.

For all Morelos plus points and ability there always seems to be a 'but...' right after it. Teams really do seem to be wary of pulling the trigger on him. Guys from Brentford going for £28m when £20m for a proven Europa League goalscorer would've gotten you Alfie.

I think the only bit I really disagree with is the implication that it's been ages since he did anything of note on the pitch.

By the end of the St mirren game, he'd been involved in all 4 goals we had scored in our first 2 games. He then had 2 games where he wasn't on the score sheet or creating, then 2 games out the team. Came back v Dundee Utd off the bench and was stretchered off after only 35 mins on the park then off the bench on Thurs with another double.

This season:
P6 scored 4 created 2
Actual minutes 378, so works out at 1 goal ever 95 minutes on the park, or one involvement in a goal every 63 mins on the park.

Hardly someone who isn't contributing.

Performance wise, I'd argue he's had 4 good performances (Sheep, St Mirren, Dundee Utd and Red imps) and 2 below par performances (St johnstone, Livingston).

I think what is colouring some people's arguments is he was utter dung against Leverkusen, he did look like he wanted to be elsewhere that night. I'm not inclined to go all in on him for it though. We've all had days at work where we just can't be arsed. As long as it doesn't become a regular thing, we all get away with it. The only difference is most of us don't have thousands of people watching our every move, overanalysing it, and either going on to forums such as this, podcasts or writing in papers to tell the wider audience how our head's gone. We also don't have people from rival firms infiltrating said forums and fostering discord in the general opinion of our performance.

tenor.gif

Back