Alfredo Morelos

Bidding won’t start at £25m

Last season is the best he’s played and the best offer we got was £16m from Lille

Whether you like to admit it or not, this season he hasn’t been as good as he was last season therefore there’s zero chance we’ll get £25m.

IMO in the summer if we got offered £16m again, we’d take it

And IMHO we dont. £16m for Alfie. No thanks

Where do folk reckon Alfie would be placed in the pantheon of great Rangers strikers, where does he rank compared to Thornton, English, Millar, Forrest, Stein, DJ, Parlane, Ally, Hatley, Mols, Prso, Jelevic et Al.
Will never get near Coisty and Hatley. Wont be here long enough.

If he stayed next year and did the business in the Champions League next year you could talk about him alongside your Mols, Prso and Jelavic, but even then they would have things over him in terms of trophies etc.

I was sure, at the end of the last season, he would be sold that summer (he wanted to go and it would be a huge transfer fee for Scottish football). And again, I expect this summer it is more likely he leaves than stays (though Champions League carrot is a spanner in the works there), and assuming that is correct, although he has been awesome, the lack of overall club success in his time here would mean he wouldnt be high up in those conversations. Albeit, in the context of Rangers football club during his time here, he has been outstanding.

Last edited:
Apart from maybe one or two mentalists and a smattering of timposters I don’t know any Rangers fan that begrudgingly gives him credit.

Last night when he set up Kent for his goal and his face was beaming afterwards I was so happy for him and indeed us. “He’s finally back!” I thought to myself, but almost immediately found myself slightly wistful that he’d ever been away at all.

So it’s not a grudging admiration when people like myself caveat a terrific performance with a longing to see him produce it throughout a season - it’s actually what we should expect from all our players.

I think there’s a tendency to defend Alfie from any criticism at all because he gets enough of it from the media, and I get that - I’ve defended him often enough myself in here - but there should be room to discuss why it is he seems to disappear for big chunks of any given season even in the aftermath of an awesome display like last night. :shh:
Its the way people construct their posts. Nobody talks about other players in the same way.

Why do you always have to refer back to negatives to highlight a positive? Do you do that with all players or just Alfie? By the same token, if you must mention negatives any time you give him praise, for consistency you should always offer praise when criticising him for an error - do you do this?

The posts speak for themselves.

As people pointed out, we scored 3 goals in 3 matches when he was out and then something like 13 in the very next 3 he is back.

There is no need to hark back to past errors or worry about future performances every time Alfie is discussed.

People could just come on and say "Aye he was brilliant last night" without the caveats and qualifying statements every time. As I say, I dont see the same posters treating other players in the same way, always referring to other negative incidents in light of the current positive performance that is actually the discussion point at hand.

It is a weird perspective to take and especially so when only applied to one individual.

So, its not about criticims of Alfie being merited or not. It is the fact that the same posters cant leave their same negative comment baggage alone when it isnt even relevant to the current incident/match/discussion.

As I said in my post you quoted; the choice of words, the tone and the perspective betrays the true feelings of the posters.

What Alfredo does for a team when he,s firing is priceless and is a gift found in very very few but the very top players in that important and dangerous part of a football pitch .
He causes absolute mayhem in there dragging defenders all over the place ,linking superbly , using a masterful football brain to see things, getting free kicks and putting the ball in the net .
Alfie may well want to stay for a crack at the Champions league but if he,s leaving and continues his current form on the big stage ... anything less than 40 million is a steal .

Its the way people construct their posts. Nobody talks about other players in the same way.

Why do you always have to refer back to negatives to highlight a positive? Do you do that with all players or just Alfie? By the same token, if you must mention negatives any time you give him praise, for consistency you should always offer praise when criticising him for an error - do you do this?

The posts speak for themselves.

As people pointed out, we scored 3 goals in 3 matches when he was out and then something like 13 in the very next 3 he is back.

There is no need to hark back to past errors or worry about future performances every time Alfie is discussed.

People could just come on and say "Aye he was brilliant last night" without the caveats and qualifying statements every time. As I say, I dont see the same posters treating other players in the same way, always referring to other negative incidents in light of the current positive performance that is actually the discussion point at hand.

It is a weird perspective to take and especially so when only applied to one individual.

So, its not about criticims of Alfie being merited or not. It is the fact that the same posters cant leave their same negative comment baggage alone when it isnt even relevant to the current incident/match/discussion.

As I said in my post you quoted; the choice of words, the tone and the perspective betrays the true feelings of the posters.
Sorry, I disagree. Personally I’ve said the same about other talented players of ours who blow hot and cold, Kent and Aribo among them. I also give praise when it’s merited, just as I did with Alfie last night.
Surely we should all be aiming to provide that balance of criticism?

I’ll repeat that the really frustrating thing with Alfie for me is that on his day he’s arguably the best player in the country, yet there’s big chunks of every season where he’s posted missing. That’s just undeniable IMO, but it seems like you and one or two others are getting upset that anyone should dare bring that up, which given that we’re a broad church on a discussion board for all things Rangers is surely to be expected.

So to sum: Alfie - absolutely brilliant last night; if only we could get that level of performance from him more regularly.

A bit of gushing praise and a bit of constructive criticism.

No?

You can see the ones who grudgingly give him credit. They’d rather not, but his recent performances have left them no choice or lose all credibility.

But they can’t just say “he was awesome last night”.

Its always a qualified statement. There’s always a caveat. “Better than earlier in the season”. “Needs to produce that more often”.

Goldson, Tav, even Steven Davis have had periods of under performance at Rangers, but no one brings that up and always prefaces or bookends praise with references back or forward to not playing well.

You can see in their choice of words. So effectively it’s just an “Aye, ok, I can’t get him now, but my pitchfork is always close at hand as soon as I have opportunity to wield it again”.

Think a few of us have had them sussed for a while. Like you say it’s not as though they’ll just say “great goal today”, it’ll be something like “great goal after a shocking and embarrassing miss earlier in the game”. They’re just so much quieter when he’s on form too, yet they swarm to threads like flies on shit when it’s to discuss poorer performances or other perceived issues.

The idea he gets special protection is a bit mad too, I mean there’s other players in this side people will always be reluctant to criticise for fear of backlash. Anyone who dared criticise Tav, Goldson or Davis after poor performances last season (or the gaffer) tended to invoke child sized tantrums. Maybe at the end of all this we’ll be back here saying it’s just as well we didn’t take 5 or 8 or 10 million just to get rid.

Last season is the best he’s played and the best offer we got was £16m from Lille

Whether you like to admit it or not, this season he hasn’t been as good as he was last season therefore there’s zero chance we’ll get £25m.

Absolutely no chance are taking less than his true worth, Buff could play at the next level no problem.
There is not going to be fire sale at Ibrox in the summer.

If a club of the required standing bid that amount, there’s a chance alfie himself would push for the move, if that is what he wanted.

After this summer Euros (European Rangers players), and Champs league next year we will see our players values rocket. Europe is taking note of our players and our club.

As I say £16m for Alfie and his contract length, no thanks

You’re always talking down Alfie, it’s really weird.

The guy has been consistently one of the best players in Europe. There’s a reason we turned down £16m - and now Morelos is a far better all round forward. Our play collapses when he isn’t in the team. He is the focal point to everything we do.

£16m? Are you living in 2002? £16m would buy you Tim Weah or one and a half Waghorns. Get real.

He's going to be a league championship winner and who knows how far we will go in the Europa. That's a lot better than last season in my eyes

Last edited:
You’re always talking down Alfie, it’s really weird.

The guy has been consistently one of the best players in Europe. There’s a reason we turned down £16m - and now Morelos is a far better all round forward. Our play collapses when he isn’t in the team. He is the focal point to everything we do.

£16m? Are you living in 2002? £16m would buy you Tim Weah or one and a half Waghorns. Get real.

I agree and disagree with you here slightly. I'm known as an Alfie "hater" on this board though so take my opinion any way you want.

Alfie's performances in the Europa League this season have been excellent. I know most people think his performance on Thursday was his best but I thought his performance away to Benfica was even better.

I actually think this season has added to Alfie's value even though he's hasn't scored as many goals. His overall game has been improved but I don't think he's been playing well domestically (he hasn't been playing badly either btw).

When Alfie is focussed and at his best he's fantastic. There's a reason that his European performances are better than his domestic performances and that's because he's looking for a move IMO.

I think this summer is the perfect time for us and Alfie to part ways and we should be looking for minimum £20million, which should rise if he performs well and helps us progress through the Europa League latter stages.

Just had to bump Alfie's thread to show aff "Alfredo Morelos The 2nd". AKA "Wee Alfie".
Got a 200 mile drive to pick him up just north of Orlando on tuesday.
He's the white one leading the pack, and this is my first attempt at adding a photo, so I hope you don't mind me trying.

Beautiful. He needs to do some work on that ‘Alfie scowl’ though.;)

Back