All English games to be played behind closed doors - tomorrow’s paper

We've handled the situation incredibly well so far. Considering our population and connection to the rest of the world, to only be sitting on ~430 active cases is steady.

You cannot 'shut down' the entire country too early, or else hospital A&E & NHS support services will be overwhelmed.
Mate, we've done nothing in terms of containment. We are only washing hands and, lets face it, what % of the population is dong that ? The earlier you lockdown the better. Stats seem to be bearing that out. Denmark just done it apparently and they have no deaths to date. Being proactive not reactive. US is going to be worse hit of the developed world, totally unprepared if Trumps's pronouncements are anything to go by. We risk not being far behind. I dont know why.....ineptitide, complacency, disinterest....a deliberate part of the Bannon/Cummings chaos recipe ? Not even any guidance on social distancing. This isn't a movie and it wont have a happy ending. The population could be ridden with folk who have it but are asymptomatic for all we know. As for generalisations like children will be ok, why give out false optimism? I've a grandchild with asthma. Should we not worry about him and thousands like him around the UK ?
NHS wont want to know you if you come down with it.. Local Doctor here saying if you have symptoms stay at home, they dont want you on their premises as it will shut them down and need a deep clean. All they can do is put a sign on the door to that effect. They have no more help from above. Look at Italy, just the other day 12.5% of CV cases were medical staff, frontliners catching it off patients. An underfunded NHS cant possibly cope. How many hospital workers will phone in sick, whether they are or not? Who the feck would want to be a hospital cleaner right now ? It will be a case of catch it, run with it, deal with yourself, suffer the pain and discomfort and hope you come out the other end a couple of weeks later. Meanwhile, what about your family and those close to you? How do they help you, how do you help them?

I'm afraid sporting events such as football and horse racing need to come secondary. How much pressure is being put on a pliable government to keep these money generators going ?

A game against them BCD doesn't work from a policing perspective because at least when 50,000 folk are in a stadium they're away from the boozers and under close monitoring by the police.

BCD puts tens of thousands of fans into a boozer which is asking for trouble. Couple that with dealing with a pandemic.

Our other games may go ahead BCD but Sunday's will either be in front of fans or postponed.
I doubt very much if policing or the inability to police will be considered, although you are right, it could be like scene from Shaun of the dead.

I like the word integrity used by the English Associations, league's won't be determined on present positions...hmmm over to you Scottish blazers

Seen this in the main thread in the lounge

Ministers are looking
with grim bemusement at the debate in football’s governing bodies about banning the public from stadia.

They fear this fuels alarmism and do not think playing matches behind closed doors is necessary at this stage.

Far more sensible, they believe, is for all of us to become much more wary about physical contact with everyone in our day-to-day lives – whether travelling to work, at work, or at the shops.

and from the Beeb

They are saying they expect announcement this afternoon to consist of moving into delay phase but it'll just be more of the same at the moment.

No school closures, no travel bans, no sports bans etc and more of the "do what you can to minimize your exposure to risk".

Mate, we've done nothing in terms of containment. We are only washing hands and, lets face it, what % of the population is dong that ? The earlier you lockdown the better. Stats seem to be bearing that out. Denmark just done it apparently and they have no deaths to date. Being proactive not reactive. US is going to be worse hit of the developed world, totally unprepared if Trumps's pronouncements are anything to go by. We risk not being far behind. I dont know why.....ineptitide, complacency, disinterest....a deliberate part of the Bannon/Cummings chaos recipe ? Not even any guidance on social distancing. This isn't a movie and it wont have a happy ending. The population could be ridden with folk who have it but are asymptomatic for all we know. As for generalisations like children will be ok, why give out false optimism? I've a grandchild with asthma. Should we not worry about him and thousands like him around the UK ?
NHS wont want to know you if you come down with it.. Local Doctor here saying if you have symptoms stay at home, they dont want you on their premises as it will shut them down and need a deep clean. All they can do is put a sign on the door to that effect. They have no more help from above. Look at Italy, just the other day 12.5% of CV cases were medical staff, frontliners catching it off patients. An underfunded NHS cant possibly cope. How many hospital workers will phone in sick, whether they are or not? Who the feck would want to be a hospital cleaner right now ? It will be a case of catch it, run with it, deal with yourself, suffer the pain and discomfort and hope you come out the other end a couple of weeks later. Meanwhile, what about your family and those close to you? How do they help you, how do you help them?

I'm afraid sporting events such as football and horse racing need to come secondary. How much pressure is being put on a pliable government to keep these money generators going ?
Very good post mate, it's a scary reality particularly concerning an already stretched NHS. To many people accusing folk of overreacting really need to take stock of the potential situation facing us all.

Ministers are looking
with grim bemusement at the debate in football’s governing bodies about banning the public from stadia.

They fear this fuels alarmism and do not think playing matches behind closed doors is necessary at this stage.

Far more sensible, they believe, is for all of us to become much more wary about physical contact with everyone in our day-to-day lives – whether travelling to work, at work, or at the shops.

and from the Beeb

They are saying they expect announcement this afternoon to consist of moving into delay phase but it'll just be more of the same at the moment.

No school closures, no travel bans, no sports bans etc and more of the "do what you can to minimize your exposure to risk".
2 metres is the recommended social distancing apparently :rolleyes: You can't even achieve 2 cm at a football match !

I understand your concern mate, but a lot of what you say is premature panic. A few key facts:
- Italy were the first European country to halt incoming flights from China - how did that work out for them?
- They shut down schools etc very soon after the initial increase in cases - didn't prevent the virus' expedited transmission.
- Have no idea why you've used Denmark as a good example?! They're sitting on 107 cases per million (615 cases) while we have 6.5 cases per mil (430)

Panicking isn't going to improve this situation, and using it as an opportunity to push a leftist agenda is definitely not appropriate.

Dr Hillary on Good Morning just told us that if you catch it your then immune to it. So just take it at the right time when your not busy and that’s you.

I understand your concern mate, but a lot of what you say is premature panic. A few key facts:
- Italy were the first European country to halt incoming flights from China - how did that work out for them?
- They shut down schools etc very soon after the initial increase in cases - didn't prevent the virus' expedited transmission.
- Have no idea why you've used Denmark as a good example?! They're sitting on 107 cases per million (615 cases) while we have 6.5 cases per mil (430)

Panicking isn't going to improve this situation, and using it as an opportunity to push a leftist agenda is definitely not appropriate.
No need for the leftist agenda remark, that unnecessary and I'll just ignore you.

Social distancing is proving important as the following chart demonstrates. It seems speed off the mark is vital. We are dragging our heels. All the more stupid when we know our NHS struggles to cope with regular demand. Too late to be arguing over why that is the case but, c'mon, what hope does it have catering for a pandemic ? 460 the current figure I see in UK. Ireland just closed all its schools etc My youngest child's primary School still think they are going on an educational visit to the local hospital end of the month! I dont think we could have our heads buried deeper in the sand.

Screen-Shot-2020-03-12-at-11-23-15,

No need for the leftist agenda remark, that unnecessary and I'll just ignore you.

Social distancing is proving important as the following chart demonstrates. It seems speed off the mark is vital. We are dragging our heels. All the more stupid when we know our NHS struggles to cope with regular demand. Too late to be arguing over why that is the case but, c'mon, what hope does it have catering for a pandemic ? 460 the current figure I see in UK. Ireland just closed all its schools etc My youngest child's primary School still think they are going on an educational visit to the local hospital end of the month! I dont think we could have our heads buried deeper in the sand.

Screen-Shot-2020-03-12-at-11-23-15,
Don't keep peddling a nonsense 'Bannon/Cummings' conspiracy then, the UK gov't are dealing with this better than most of Europe, as the data indicates.

PHE and all the top advisors, who we should all take our headings from, have been explicit in explaining that if they enforce social distancing too early it will lose its effect. The risk is that community transmission will increase in isolated pockets, if social distancing is implemented too early, putting extraordinary pressure on a few number of local/regional hospitals - while others remain at normal capacity. This is what happened in northern Italy. Learn from their mistakes.

There are lies, damned lies, and statistics. We do not know how many people have succumbed to the virus because the NHS is unable to test sufficient numbers so this the “self isolation “.
We might have the same rate as Italy, we might not. We just don’t know.

I'm not peddling a conspiracy, I merely referenced it as a number of possible reasons why we are behind all the other European countries in taking substantive action on the spread of a virus that is already amongst us. Doing nothing or delaying social distancing is allowing the virus to spread at its own pace and we have no idea of numbers. In fact, precisely what Johnson said the other day, allow it to flow through the population naturally. Irresponsible nonsense, hopefully some sense will come out of the COBRA meeting this afternoon. Downing Street appears to be interpreting medical advice the way it wants and that worries me. Is it trying to put economy before public health ? If you are relaxed good luck to you but it wont protect you or your family any better then me or mine. My local Health centre tell me they wont be able to cope with one single CV patient as they dont have the isolation space they need. All they can do is put a 'Go Home' sign on their front door. NHS111 already cant cope and is proving as useful as chocolate fireguard.

This is serious, doing nothing or the absolute minimum is reckless. We need to lockdown.

Can't see closed doors games in Scotland for any length of time as the cost would be prohibitive to most of the clubs in the SPFL. Having to pay for undersoil heating, floodlights, travel , accommodation etc without a penny coming in from matchday income between now and next season?

I suspect the yahoos working in the SPFL are in full panic mode right now as they know giving celtic the title before it's mathematically impossible opens up Pandora's Box.

That's why it's vital we don't lose on Sunday so the league can't just hand them the title which no doubt they will try to do if nonce fc win.

We must beat them on Sunday and keep winning and then let the virus do the rest.

There are lies, damned lies, and statistics. We do not know how many people have succumbed to the virus because the NHS is unable to test sufficient numbers so this the “self isolation “.
We might have the same rate as Italy, we might not. We just don’t know.
I think testing is overrated. It may clear you today but tomorrow, and the days after ? You cant test everyday.

Ministers are looking

and from the Beeb

NO Government can do right for doing wrong during this but I'm happy with all the warnings at present. I'm sure things will change at the drop of a hat but surely there is far more risk of the virus in a small packed pub, than 50k in the open air on Sunday? (Provided there are plenty of washed hands) I appreciate this will be a different matter for the high risk and elderly

Don't keep peddling a nonsense 'Bannon/Cummings' conspiracy then, the UK gov't are dealing with this better than most of Europe, as the data indicates.

PHE and all the top advisors, who we should all take our headings from, have been explicit in explaining that if they enforce social distancing too early it will lose its effect. The risk is that community transmission will increase in isolated pockets, if social distancing is implemented too early, putting extraordinary pressure on a few number of local/regional hospitals - while others remain at normal capacity. This is what happened in northern Italy. Learn from their mistakes.
Is this like the herd immunity philosophy?
It's a dangerous game because it involves human lives but not everyone needs immunised but for it to be successful we do need the virus to be 'out' there

All the summer music festivals too will be canned....and I agree that next winter will see this virus spread even more widely across the globe!
Why next winter? It's summer in lots of affected places now. It's not seasonal apparently. Apparently a vaccine might take 18 months, so by that time we might all have had it and we'll need to wait and see if it mutates and we need a regular vaccine like the flu. It's going to be really bad unfortunately, and I hope the current mortality rate of around 6% reduces. Football and festivals should be cancelled, but it's inevitable that it'll still spread.

Is this like the herd immunity philosophy?
It's a dangerous game because it involves human lives but not everyone needs immunised but for it to be successful we do need the virus to be 'out' there
Yeah that’s essentially it, only in reverse in Italy’s case. Herd immunity is the goal of all vaccine programmes for sure, not everyone in a population is able to receive a vaccine/may choose not to - but the idea is they too benefit from the herd protection. Same reason why we’re seeing a breakthrough of measles etc recently, as vaccine coverage rates have decreased (f**king anti-vax clowns).

Why next winter? It's summer in lots of affected places now. It's not seasonal apparently. Apparently a vaccine might take 18 months, so by that time we might all have had it and we'll need to wait and see if it mutates and we need a regular vaccine like the flu. It's going to be really bad unfortunately, and I hope the current mortality rate of around 6% reduces. Football and festivals should be cancelled, but it's inevitable that it'll still spread.
All the modelling suggests that the summer will see this virus decrease, apparently this virus dies very quickly at 26/27 degrees from an article I read earlier today. I agree that all large events should be cancelled and I’d suggest we go further in terms of cancelling leagues and all competitions across all sports.

All the modelling suggests that the summer will see this virus decrease, apparently this virus dies very quickly at 26/27 degrees from an article I read earlier today. I agree that all large events should be cancelled and I’d suggest we go further in terms of cancelling leagues and all competitions across all sports.
I didn't realise that, I just assumed since it's active in places like Bahrain and Australia just now that the weather made no difference. All events over 500 people are cancelled from Monday. We'll see how that affects competitions as a whole.

I presume, they can make responses, try and influence, but cant dictate. Westminster decisions on the pandemic will stand.

Pete Wishart, SNP goon, to my astonishment is on Question Time tonight backing the Westminster Government’s strategy to the hilt and saying they are fully engaged in the process and that it’s the right way to handle things. Probably the first and only time they will ever agree with the Tories. Nice to see them bodyswerve the usual Party-political in-fighting in the face of such a crisis.

So it will never die in Scotland if it needs those temperatures!!

Back