All Premier League games in October likely to be shown live on TV

rangeral

Live TV coverage of every Premier League match is expected to continue into October after the government announced the suspension of plans to return fans to stadiums. Since the restart in June, longstanding broadcasting traditions have been turned upside down to allow fans to keep up with top-flight football. The Saturday 3pm blackout has gone, games kick off at tea-time midweek and the BBC has live Premier League football for the first time.

Although rights holders and the league had hoped for a return to normality this season, the continued spread of the pandemic means live coverage is set to continue. There are 40 top-flight fixtures scheduled in October, although kick-off times are yet to be agreed. September’s matches were shared between Sky, BT Sport, Amazon and the BBC, with Sky screening 18 of the 28 games.

It is understood any extension of the arrangement is likely to be done on a month-by-month basis, with the league having committed this month to taking a “step-by-step” approach to determining “appropriate arrangements”.

The move will be welcomed by fans’ groups who called for all matches to be broadcast on TV while supporters cannot get back into grounds. The Football Supporters’ Federation has called for the arrangement to be extended to the end of the season.

Premier League clubs are less convinced about the merits of the idea. There are concerns that it makes an already compact schedule more difficult for teams, but also that a broadcast schedule built to suit British audiences may affect the global audience watching in different time zones.

The new way of doing things will also complicate what are set to be challenging negotiations when the Premier League tries to strike new broadcast deals. The tender process for the three-year arrangements for 2022-2025 would ordinarily begin this autumn.

Surely the new EPL TV deal for 22-25 will be for all of the games. You give people a taste of this setup and then move back to the original contract terms will seem like such a backwards step. Also the value of the contract plateaued in the last couple, so maybe by doing this they can get fresh money out of Amazon etc.

Premier League clubs are less convinced about the merits of the idea. There are concerns that it makes an already compact schedule more difficult for teams, but also that a broadcast schedule built to suit British audiences may affect the global audience watching in different time zones.

Look after your own lads.

Will this apply to other British leagues too? Like SPL?

No

This is the English Premier League since there is no other agreements to cover the non-TV games is Club PPV, the Premier League were put under pressure to do something hence why all game are shared between the 4 existing broadcasters

Surely the new EPL TV deal for 22-25 will be for all of the games. You give people a taste of this setup and then move back to the original contract terms will seem like such a backwards step. Also the value of the contract plateaued in the last couple, so maybe by doing this they can get fresh money out of Amazon etc.

Will be interesting what they go for but I am sure needs DCMS approval for all the games to be shown on TV

Look after your own lads.

The current way of doing is right at the moment, few fixture clashes may happen going forward at weekends mind you

But given the amount that comes from overseas money has to be protected if they what it to continue

I know the seasons started, but it just doesnt feel like the real thing to me at all.

It really proves to me how much football needs the fans. Wonder what theyll do with the euros, because the way it's going, we'll be lucky if crowds are back by then.

It was meant to September 11th.

Poster is asking about our games

But yes it should have 11th September for the next batch in EPL but of course things have changed since that announcement doesn't stop them from the normal TV selections then adding the other games later on

Poster is asking about our games

But yes it should have 11th September for the next batch in EPL but of course things have changed since that announcement doesn't stop them from the normal TV selections then adding the other games later on

Couldn't tell that by his post, I obviously thought he was asking about the thread topic. People been complaining a lot about it as November ones are due this week and they announced those dates on August 28th.

If this type of arrangement doesn’t make Sky move to a Spotify type business plan then nothing will.

Couldn't tell that by his post, I obviously thought he was asking about the thread topic. People been complaining a lot about it as November ones are due this week.

Yes due today going by the link

But as I said things changed since that announcement Once October is done you hope November & at least December can be done quickly

Yes due today going by the link

But as I said things changed since that announcement Once October is done you hope November & at least December can be done quickly

Not a great deal changed between August 28th and September 11th but we will leave it at that anyway!

No

This is the English Premier League since there is no other agreements to cover the non-TV games is Club PPV, the Premier League were put under pressure to do something hence why all game are shared between the 4 existing broadcasters
Oh right, thought it was odd there was a game on BBC the other night.

The games up here will be still be shown
Well they missed an entire weekend of SPFL fixtures when the EPL first came back. Sky are going to go with audience figures which the EPL will tank us with.
How do the squeeze in a SPFL game that hardly anyone in rest of UK will watch if they have a very tight schedule?

a
Surely all our game will be on?

There is a deal in place for the Scottish Premiership

Sky Sports have their selection via the contract they with SPFL have and all other games are streamed via the clubs - STH get access regardless of Sky plus there is PPV option

EFL has the same agreement

But for the EPL they sticking to the existing TV deal of 5 game a weekend and clubs didn't want PPV option for the non-TV games

Well they missed an entire weekend of SPFL fixtures when the EPL first came back. Sky are going to go with audience figures which the EPL will tank us with.
How do the squeeze in a SPFL game that hardly anyone in rest of UK will watch if they have a very tight schedule?

Our games game go up against the EFL not the EPL and that weekend caused a problem, yes it the 1st weekend in England but the choice of Ross County v Celtic at the time of selections could only be the Saturday also front loading the selection from the SPFL of 13 games in August didn't help

Sky show the SPFL on Sky Sports Football so there always space but that weekend for whatever reason there wasn't

a

There is a deal in place for the Scottish Premiership

Sky Sports have their selection via the contract they with SPFL have and all other games are streamed via the clubs - STH get access regardless of Sky plus there is PPV option

EFL has the same agreement

But for the EPL they sticking to the existing TV deal of 5 game a weekend and clubs didn't want PPV option for the non-TV games
Thanks for the explanation. I guess when sky and co are paying the EPL a billion pounds the clubs own PPV isn’t necessary

I don’t mind them all being on the telly but don’t see why they all need to be at different times.

Sorry, I’m missing something here. Can you elaborate? I’m being thick.

The clubs voted against accepting a PPV option for the games not pick by Sky, BT to ensure fans still got to see the games as they thought it would undermine the value of main broadcast deals

I don’t mind them all being on the telly but don’t see why they all need to be at different times.

Guess that is what has been agreed different timelots for all games at the weekends to try and maximize viewing figures I would think

The clubs voted against accepting a PPV option for the games not pick by Sky, BT to ensure fans still got to see the games as they thought it would undermine the value of main broadcast deals
Ah ok, thanks for the clarification.

The Premier League has today confirmed its live match selections for the first weekend of October.

Following the UK Government's announcement yesterday that pubs will close at 22:00, midweek Premier League fixtures will now take place at 17:45 and 20:00.

These new kick-off times come into effect from Monday 28 September, with Fulham now hosting Aston Villa at 17:45 BST and Arsenal's trip to Liverpool now starting at 20:00 BST.

In consultation with all relevant stakeholders, the Premier League is considering appropriate arrangements for matches that will take place after 4 October.

All times below are BST.

Matchweek 3
Monday 28 September
17:45 Fulham v Aston Villa (Sky Sports)
20:00 Liverpool v Arsenal (Sky Sports)

Matchweek 4
Saturday 3 October
12:30 Chelsea v Crystal Palace (BT Sport)
15:00 Everton v Brighton (BT Sport)
17:30 Leeds Utd v Man City (Sky Sports)
20:00 Newcastle Utd v Burnley (Sky Sports)

Sunday 4 October
12:00 Leicester City v West Ham (BT Sport)
12:00 Southampton v West Brom (BT Sport)
14:00 Arsenal v Sheffield Utd (Sky Sports)
14:00 Wolves v Fulham (Sky Sports)
16:30 Man Utd v Spurs (Sky Sports)
19:15 Aston Villa v Liverpool (Sky Sports)

Back