Allan Campbell

Kinda guy who’s worth a punt on a bosman-£500k kinda price. Young player who could become a Jack-level player at best or a Docherty-level player we can maybe turn a small profit at worst but right now Motherwell would want too much. Not for me

Proved he is a much better player than Ferguson again today. Out of contract at the end of season as well, worth a punt imo.

Never heard of him .
Hate this patter so much, how can you be a football fan without knowing players in our league. Especially when they have played and scored against us.

No disrespect mate, it just bothers me. Probably just me knowing too much.

Hard to argue with that, but I hope the additions we've made will, one or two more additions, give us a better chance.
We need someone who is an improvement on what we have currently. Who is a 1st pick that can make a telling pass and get stuck in.

For what it’s worth I think he’s a good SPL player and will be solid in the English second tier. Not the type of player we need though, i’d actually Ross McCrorie is a better midfielder. Which says it all IMO.

We need someone who is an improvement on what we have currently. Who is a 1st pick that can make a telling pass and get stuck in.
I agree, who that would be though. Is a loan the way to get such a player?

For what it’s worth I think he’s a good SPL player and will be solid in the English second tier. Not the type of player we need though, i’d actually Ross McCrorie is a better midfielder. Which says it all IMO.

Completely different style of players. Campbell is box to box and is now playing a slightly more advanced role - that was even the case when Turnbull was in the side prior to joining the bheggars.

Just me that thinks tracking midfield runs was one of our biggest issue from a defensive aspect today? First goal prime example. No surprise for me that the defence struggled without proper protection.

Not the worst shout from the OP. We’d obviously still need another midfielder, but for a squad player to play certain games, if he was around 500k or less I’d be keen.

Completely different style of players. Campbell is box to box and is now playing a slightly more advanced role - that was even the case when Turnbull was in the side prior to joining the bheggars.
Yeah I know I was meaning in terms of the obsession this forum has with “dig” and ball winning. I should have been more clearer :)).

Decent finisher AC is and is good at breaking the lines. In the short sample of games I’ve watched.

We’re 2-1 up away at Easter Road. Davis is tiring, Kamara isn’t having a great game. Arfield hasn’t got the legs to go forward and back, it’s his second start in 3 days.

We look to the bench and we see... Barjonas. Not anywhere near enough experience to sub on in that situation.

We continue to get overrun in midfield, fail to track runs or protect the defence. We concede and drop 2 points.

Surely, if we had had a player like Campbell, to come on and sit and protect the defence, we are far more likely to see the game out?

Obviously Jack is usually our guy for that, but he always picks up injuries during a season. We need a Ryan Jack style backup, no one else can do what he does.

We’re 2-1 up away at Easter Road. Davis is tiring, Kamara isn’t having a great game. Arfield hasn’t got the legs to go forward and back, it’s his second start in 3 days.

We look to the bench and we see... Barjonas. Not anywhere near enough experience to sub on in that situation.

We continue to get overrun in midfield, fail to track runs or protect the defence. We concede and drop 2 points.

Surely, if we had had a player like Campbell, to come on and sit and protect the defence, we are far more likely to see the game out?

Obviously Jack is usually our guy for that, but he always picks up injuries during a season. We need a Ryan Jack style backup, no one else can do what he does.

We do have players. They are injured.

We did not at any point today get overrun anywhere on the park. They had 11 touches in our box and their equaliser was offside.

We do have players. They are injured.

We did not at any point today get overrun anywhere on the park. They had 11 touches in our box and their equaliser was offside.

I must’ve imagined the first goal where a guy strolled into the box to score while our midfielders watched him.

Which player is currently injured - other than Ryan Jack - who can do what he does for us?

Just me that thinks tracking midfield runs was one of our biggest issue from a defensive aspect today? First goal prime example. No surprise for me that the defence struggled without proper protection.

Not the worst shout from the OP. We’d obviously still need another midfielder, but for a squad player to play certain games, if he was around 500k or less I’d be keen.

£500k? Mate, regardless of what anyone on here thinks of Campbell’s abilities he isn’t going to be moving for that sort of figure. Motherwell will be looking for at least £2m, possibly significantly more.

Personally I think he’s a good wee player but doubt very much we’d pay that for a player who, right now, wouldn’t be a regular for us. Eventually I think he’d be a good replacement for Jack.

£500k? Mate, regardless of what anyone on here thinks of Campbell’s abilities he isn’t going to be moving for that sort of figure. Motherwell will be looking for at least £2m, possibly significantly more.

Personally I think he’s a good wee player but doubt very much we’d pay that for a player who, right now, wouldn’t be a regular for us. Eventually I think he’d be a good replacement for Jack.

£2m for a guy we can get on a pre contract in January? Surely not

"Hes technically good, but not great "

Sign him up

We dont need guys who run run and run all day with no quality.
Signing Allan Campbell May not be the answer but neither is continually signing players with great technical ability but no heart for the Scottish game , somehow we need to strike a balance and Gerrard needs to accept this.

You create a scenario and then fit Campbell as the solution to that? We really do need better.

You create a scenario and then fit Campbell as the solution to that? We really do need better.

Sorry for being realistic. If I thought we could sign Kante I’d have said him.

If Morelos isn’t going I don’t see us spending millions. Considering I’ve already said above we’d need two midfielders, I didn’t think spending a lot on a Ryan Jack backup would be the smartest idea.

But, in my opinion, we need someone to do what Jack does when he isn’t available. If you’ve got an alternative, better player at a similar fee I’m all for it.

Sorry for being realistic. If I thought we could sign Kante I’d have said him.

If Morelos isn’t going I don’t see us spending millions. Considering I’ve already said above we’d need two midfielders, I didn’t think spending a lot on a Ryan Jack backup would be the smartest idea.

But, in my opinion, we need someone to do what Jack does when he isn’t available. If you’ve got an alternative, better player at a similar fee I’m all for it.
You were being too realistic up to where you get Campbell as the player to fix it. You rate him, fine; I think we need a level above what we have already.

You were being too realistic up to you get Campbell as the player to fix it. You rate him, fine; I think we need a level above what we have already.

Signing an upgrade on Jack and using him a bit less would be even better mate I can’t disagree. Just not convinced it’s possible without another big sale.

Signing Allan Campbell May not be the answer but neither is continually signing players with great technical ability but no heart for the Scottish game , somehow we need to strike a balance and Gerrard needs to accept this.

Which player today doesnt have the heart for scottish football?

Not sure about Allan Campbell but people saying we dont energy to the midfield i really dont get.

We have 1 cm injured in Jack and we were down to a youth player on the bench. We need at least 1 cm and soon.

Not sure about Allan Campbell but people saying we dont energy to the midfield i really dont get.

We have 1 cm injured in Jack and we were down to a youth player on the bench. We need at least 1 cm and soon.
Two centre mids injured mate, aside from that we are still lacking one and I know Gerrard knows it. So why has there been so little movement?.

No, he’s a box to box centre midfielder and that’s where he was playing this season. He was shunted forward last season to the right due to lack of depth.
Im talking about proper cm players, Aribo is not a proper battleing cm. We were well short in this dept even before Jacks injury.

7 clean sheets and two goals away from home vs a tough away team. Sloppy defending and not being clinical is all it was today. I dont think it's because players have no heart.

Think we need to calm down a tad imo.

We missed aribo and jack and goldson had a rare off day.
Goldson has a mistake in him every game , when we are on top it doesn’t get noticed , today it was crucial , he for one crumbled thereafter but he knows he will not be dropped.

Aw fk naw.
If Rangers score 2 we should be winning games, it's not an Ardiles Spurs we support. Just because we didn't win means we suddenly need to panic buy in areas we already know need strengthening

7 clean sheets and two goals away from home vs a tough away team. Sloppy defending and not being clinical is all it was today. I dont think it's because players have no heart.

Think we need to calm down a tad imo.

We missed aribo and jack and goldson had a rare off day.
...and went top of the league. Have the vermin went away to the sheep and Trainspotting yet? We're in a good place

He won’t get a job of note in management again if he fails here.
His name still carries weight down south, where this league is regarded by many, as a pub league!
And to many his notable achievements, will be the European results.

He will be fine.
I'm more worried about us.

I must’ve imagined the first goal where a guy strolled into the box to score while our midfielders watched him.

Which player is currently injured - other than Ryan Jack - who can do what he does for us?

That's not getting overrun tho is it? Overrun in midfield is being unable to take control of the game due to the other team having a higher tempo and more men in there.

Everyone fit and we have Scott arfield, glen Kamara and quite possibly Ianis Hagi sitting on the bench to turn to. That's why we are down to just Barjonas.

Kyle Lafferty
Flo Kamberi
Jake Hastie
Jordan Jones
Glen Kamara

Some were good enough. Some not so. But you have just made that up.
Ryan Jack, Allan McGregor, Jon McLaughlin. Could go on, realistically few players in the Scottish game are worth buying.

Ryan Jack, Allan McGregor, Jon McLaughlin. Could go on, realistically few players in the Scottish game are worth buying.

Absolutely mate. My post was focusing on guys who have came in the door from a Scottish club in Gerrard's tenure. I also forgot Greg Stewart.

Absolutely mate. My post was focusing on guys who have came in the door from a Scottish club in Gerrard's tenure. I also forgot Greg Stewart.
The stranger of the signings, could suggest Barker also. I agree with you totally, is it justifiable to throw £3.5m at Scottish players who have been ‘ok’. It absolutely isn’t, people forget the financial difference Celtic have.

Means we need to be wiser, realistically I don’t think any player in the league comes into our starting eleven and very few make our squad.

I don’t think there is any anti- Scots or English arrogance involved. Just better value for money in most cases, evidently the ones he does rate will be signed.

Made what up?
I have just given my opinion. You don't have to agree with it.

You said "unfortunately Gerrard just doesn't rate Scottish players. Especially ones that haven't been playing in any other league!
Don't think he rates the scottish game either."

I've given you several players brought in from other Scottish teams during his tenure. So you've made up that he doesn't rate the Scottish game. He clearly will take a player from here if he thinks theyre good enough.

"Hes technically good, but not great "

Sign him up

We dont need guys who run run and run all day with no quality.

We need a penalty box predator. We created enough easy chances today to win the game but since this season started it seems we need 4 chances for every goal scored.

Our midfield did not cost us two points today. Admittedly our defending was poor but the real problem is IMHO the lack of a killer instinct in front of goal, our forwards fluff good chances game after game, today being another perfect example.

Perhaps a goalscoring midfielder might help but our forwards need to be shown how to finish, our conversion rate from good chances created is both rotten and costly.

You said "unfortunately Gerrard just doesn't rate Scottish players. Especially ones that haven't been playing in any other league!
Don't think he rates the scottish game either."

I've given you several players brought in from other Scottish teams during his tenure. So you've made up that he doesn't rate the Scottish game. He clearly will take a player from here if he thinks theyre good enough.
Ok again in your opinion out of that list how many have been a success?
And are still with us playing regularly?

By the way... Jones, Kamara and Stewart, and Hastie have all played in England at some point.
Kamberi came from a Swiss league, and Lafferty has played everywhere!
I am talking about home grown talent.
Like Campbell.

If we’re looking for energy and dig in the midfield we could do worse than sign this guy. He’s technically good, but not great, but I can’t help feel we’d have won today with him in the team. Very much of the Stuart McCall mould. Covers every blade of grass and wins the ball. Maybe not one for high level European games but for a guaranteed injection of energy domestically he would be the player.
I'm not being funny but Jason Holt covered every blade of grass. I liked the player, as you do anyone who gives everything, but ultimately he wasn't talented enough.

Ok again in your opinion out of that list how many have been a success?
And are still with us playing regularly?

By the way... Jones, Kamara and Stewart, and Hastie have all played in England at some point.
Kamberi came from a Swiss league, and Lafferty has played everywhere!
I am talking about home grown talent.
Like Campbell.

Several of them haven't been a success. If anything that shows why he wouldn't take from the Scottish game but he has repeatedly.

Hastie has the exact same background as Campbell.

So he wil take him if he is good enough. But Campbell would struggle to get on our bench. Jack, Aribo, Kamara, Davis and Arfield are all better than him.

And we aren't signing someone who isn't going to challenge for a start. We've spent a summer getting rid of guys like that.

I think you have just made my point.
Gerrard doesn't rate scottish home grown players.

That is why Campbell will probably never come to Rangers.
Shankland may also never for the same reason.
Again yes...it's just my opinion from what has happened.So far.

I think you have just made my point.
Gerrard doesn't rate scottish home grown players.

That is why Campbell will probably never come to Rangers.
Shankland may also never for the same reason.
Again yes...it's just my opinion from what has happened.So far.

Campbell will never come to Rangers because he isn't good enough mate. Gerrard has shown he will move for guys in the Scottish game as per the list I gave you and even signed Hastie who has the exact same, arguably lesser, background as Campbell.

He is your average SPFL footballer. That's all.

If we’re looking for energy and dig in the midfield we could do worse than sign this guy. He’s technically good, but not great, but I can’t help feel we’d have won today with him in the team. Very much of the Stuart McCall mould. Covers every blade of grass and wins the ball. Maybe not one for high level European games but for a guaranteed injection of energy domestically he would be the player.
Out of contract at the end of the season and a player who i would welcome to the squad as he offers something we don't have!!

Back