Allan McGregor and Our Style of Play

The stats I posted suggested McGregor wasn't great at that last season despite a very strong first 2 months
What was Foderinghams "stats" in his first SPL season like. For example how many goals did he lose from shots outside the box, cross balls ect.

I'll wager his "stats" are not as good as McGregors "stats".

What was Foderinghams "stats" in his first SPL season like. For example how many goals did he lose from shots outside the box, cross balls ect.

I'll wager his "stats" are not as good as McGregors "stats".
McGregor didnt have Kiernan and Wilson infront of him

We are taking a risk at refusing to question McGregor's form, style of play and temperament.

Great stopper but I have concerns over his attitude, the childish kick outs and the lunatic rantings are not what you expect from the best keeper in the country.

We may well be successful with him and if SG doubted it I think he would have done something by now. BUT I think you would need to be blind to have no concerns whatsoever

I'm not, you're clearly getting defensive over the numbers by completely guessing that Foderinghams from 4 years ago are worse
I'm being realistic. McGregor is a better keeper than Foderingham pure and simple and has / won us more points and conceded less goals.

And by the way theres no guesswork involved to know the Foderingham conceded 13 goals in 4 mentally challenged games in his first SPL season. How many did
McGregor concede last season over 4 games?

I'm being realistic. McGregor is a better keeper than Foderingham pure and simple and has / won us more points and conceded less goals.

And by the way theres no guesswork involved to know the Foderingham conceded 13 goals in 4 mentally challenged games in his first SPL season. How many did
McGregor concede last season over 4 games?
Using your logic, Foderingham had a better win rate against Celtic than McGregor did last season so should play. You have to take circumstances into account if you want to directly compare overall results. You cant just ignore context

As I said previously, this was never intended to be a McGregor vs Foderingham thread. Naturally he comes into the conversation as he has better distribution.

Using your logic, Foderingham had a better win rate against Celtic than McGregor did last season so should play. You have to take circumstances into account if you want to directly compare overall results. You cant just ignore context

As I said previously, this was never intended to be a McGregor vs Foderingham thread. Naturally he comes into the conversation as he has better distribution.
Whatever mate. Goodnight.

West isn't an excellent keeper, he's pretty average. The amount of shots hit at him from distance that he should be saving but doesn't is one of the main reasons he lost his place as soon as a competent manager came in.

Wes has been excellent anytime he's been called upon when McGregor has been injured or suspended.

The long shot thing is a myth.

McGregor is our number 1 for me, but he still managed to throw in a trundler from Jordan Jones last season.

Mistakes happen to all keepers and Wes is a far better keeper now than he was a couple of years ago.

Last edited by a moderator:

I'll wager his "stats" are not as good as McGregors

Wes is a far better keeper now .

Remember McGregor was well into his 20s before he established himself as our number 1.

Went on an SFA goalkeeping course.. One stat revealed that 80% of a keepers touched are with his feet. However it's the 20% that counts.

McGregor for me

I think this will be mcgregors last season with us tbh I think he might retire at the end of the season. His form got worse as the season went on and that could be to do with his age.

Dont think wes will be no1 next season mind you, more like we will buy someone next season. With how well we seem to be set up behind the scenes I'd imagine Allen and Gerrard are looking for his replacement given McGregor's age.

I do agree with the op point on mcgregors distribution, I'd imagine the next gk will be someone who is better with the ball at his feet with the way modern football is going this is needed more than say 10 years ago

Last edited:
I agree in the game now Keeper involved more in build up and if can use both feet it’s a bonus . End of the day as said he’s their to stop goal first and he is best in Scotland.

We are taking a risk at refusing to question McGregor's form, style of play and temperament.

Great stopper but I have concerns over his attitude, the childish kick outs and the lunatic rantings are not what you expect from the best keeper in the country.

We may well be successful with him and if SG doubted it I think he would have done something by now. BUT I think you would need to be blind to have no concerns whatsoever
His discipline is a bigger worry than his distribution.
Still far and away our best keeper.

When he goes we need to buy unless McCrorie is up to the job.

Fodringham has been a good servant but the reality is he’s not a Rangers class keeper. McGregor is, we don’t judge keepers on their ability to punt the ball out. When they do it’s incumbent on our outfield players to win it! If we’re to change McGregor than Fodringham is not the answer and we’d best go into the transfer market for a replacement!

I'm unconvinced if Foderingham is the answer, we saw him play it out from the back a lot under Warburton and the defenders couldn't handle the task.

Interested to see if our current group would make him look better at it
Just a shame he loses so many soft goals from 25yds out.

Wes is another of those players who gets better, the less he plays.

He was a terrible goalkeeper for us. There’s a reason we went for McGregor.

I agree with what you are saying OP in the sense that the game has moved on and keepers do need the distribution side in their locker, to an extent. McGregor has something that can't just be learnt or trained for. He has that natural reaction that is inbuilt in some. That's what makes him an unbelievable shot stopper. I would rather a team with an ageing, hot tempered and poor distributing McGregor any day of the week. He will save games and points over the course of a season, singlehandedly. IMO Fod is not the answer. Yes his distribution is better but he is and won't be in Mcgregors bracket, we should be looking elsewhere for our no.1 and as some have said hopefully the management team are identifying this for seasons to come.

I'd rather have the best shot stopper in the country with poor distribution keeping the sheets clean and just playing short to an aggressive pair of wing backs or low to a level headed centre back.

No different to Goram, it's what the other 10 do. Allan is amongst the best in the UK doing what he does, were not at the standard of an Ederson or Alisson

All of the best teams in the world have keepers who's job it is to retain possession and initiate attacks
that’s all great if your Manchester City or Liverpool who have splashed the cash on top drawer keepers who have that in there game, unfortunately we don’t have the money to do that but still have the best GK in the country so that’ll do for me.

His discipline is a bigger worry than his distribution.
Still far and away our best keeper.

When he goes we need to buy unless McCrorie is up to the job.

I think the main point is in how the club manage that transition propoerly because we can't really afford to bed in a new keeper and the timing and cost of McGregor's successor is vital

He's a goalkeeper, his job is keep the ball out the net.
Of course you are correct but the role of the goalkeeper has more responsibility nowadays which does include, keeping possession and counter attacks.

If McGregor had better distribution he would not be with us, he'd be with one of the top clubs in England or mainland Europe.

He’s a goal keeper not a play maker. If we want a tidy footballer between the sticks - why not put a pair of goalie gloves on Davis.

There are countless goalkeepers across Europe that are comfortable with the ball at their feet. We even have one on the bench. It's not a big thing to ask for a keeper to have a decent passing range in to midfield.

He was our goal keeper when we got to the UEFA final. Playing a defence style. He can clearly start attacks which Gerrard requires from him

He booted the ball out the park every single time at Bremen away. Ultimately he saved us, but that's not the discussion. His distribution has stopped him from being top drawer. He is a class act, and I'm so pleased to have him, but he's never been good with the ball at his feet which can be detrimental to our play.

Wes is another of those players who gets better, the less he plays.

He was a terrible goalkeeper for us. There’s a reason we went for McGregor.

Terrible is a bit over the top.

He's a more than decent goalkeeper. Wouldn't mind seeing how he would improve playing in a proper team with a proper defensive structure now than the shambles he's been involved in with some of the previous gaffers.

Let's not forget how much criticism Tav got on here before Gerrard came in.

Terrible is a bit over the top.

He's a more than decent goalkeeper. Wouldn't mind seeing how he would improve playing in a proper team with a proper defensive structure now than the shambles he's been involved in with some of the previous gaffers.

Let's not forget how much criticism Tav got on here before Gerrard came in.

Tav had obvious qualities - stamina, athleticism, delivery - that could be developed. I don’t recall Wes having any quality as a goalkeeper. He was a nervous keeper who would spread nerves in the team and had obvious blind spots in his game.

Tav had obvious qualities - stamina, athleticism, delivery - that could be developed. I don’t recall Wes having any quality as a goalkeeper. He was a nervous keeper who would spread nerves in the team and had obvious blind spots in his game.
This is simply revisionist history, Foderingham was probably our player of the season every year until Gerrard was appointed.

I'm not expecting this thread to go very well but it's something I think we need to consider, so here it goes

I'll say this just to avoid as much abuse as possible, McGregor is the best shot stopper in the league and one of the best in Rangers history, I dont think many people would deny that.

His biggest weakness is his distribution and our style of play emphasises it ridiculously, he takes forever to initiate counter attacks and seemingly only has a long ball out to Tavernier in his locker, even that is only successful about 50% of the time.

So far from games this season, it looks like we're planning on being a lot more possession based in an attempt to drag teams up the pitch and create space, for this to be as effective as possible it would be ideal to have a keeper with a better than average range of passing.

Considering that we should be planning for the long term future of that position anyway, should we be looking to bring someone in who can perform better in this aspect sooner rather than later?
Let me understand this.
You’re prepared to replace the best keeper in the league with somebody not as good a keeper but better with his feet?
That’ll be a resounding “No” from me.

There are countless goalkeepers across Europe that are comfortable with the ball at their feet. We even have one on the bench. It's not a big thing to ask for a keeper to have a decent passing range in to midfield.

Similarly, it’s not such a big thing to ask to have Defoe making crunching defensive tackles or Jones winning defensive aerial battles at cross balls......

McGregor is a better GK than foderingham. He is number one for that very reason.

Let me understand this.
You’re prepared to replace the best keeper in the league with somebody not as good a keeper but better with his feet?
That’ll be a resounding “No” from me.
Statistically he was far from the best keeper last season.

Had a great start and form dipped massively

A keeper who saves thanks.

Goram and Klos couldn't pass for shit really yet we played superb football in particular under Advocaat.

Fodernigham is the epitome of a passing keeper, aye you can pass but you can't save as much as you should.

Nervous? Not for me. A keeper playing under the style Warburton was implementing needs a lot of bravery with the amount of risks he was having to take on a weekly basis.

He's a goalkeeper, his job is keep the ball out the net.
As much as I’ll argue the point that we need our full backs, like Tavernier to be almost as proficient going forward as in defence, I’ll argue the opposite for the centre backs.
As for goalkeepers, their ability to start attacks would contribute less than five percent of their overall skill set.

This is simply revisionist history, Foderingham was probably our player of the season every year until Gerrard was appointed.

How many rangers POTY accolades as Fod won? Let’s not be revising history here either.

He was very decent, no doubt about it! He had his strengths and his weaknesses.

McGregor also his his strengths and his weaknesses. However, McGregor is a better GK. McGregor is rightfully number one.

Op's thoughts are exactly what pep done at city when he first arrived. Joe Hart got binned straight away because of his distribution.

We obviously arent to their standard but i would say mcgregor is the strongest all round keeper we have

Joe Hart got binned because of his distribution and the fact he makes numerous mistakes every single season. He has to be one of the most overrated gks of all time. No wonder in the past few years he's been better known for shampoo adverts than keeping the ball out of the net.

How many rangers POTY accolades as Fod won? Let’s not be revising history here either.

He was very decent, no doubt about it! He had his strengths and his weaknesses.

McGregor also his his strengths and his weaknesses. However, McGregor is a better GK. McGregor is rightfully number one.
Which is a fine opinion to hold, this thread isnt supposed to be McGregor vs Foderingham

Remember the trio of Wes, Keirnan and Wilson.

Absolutely nerve jangling any time either of them had the ball!

Ross McCrorie was decent with the ball at his feet for a GK. Perhaps he could be a longer term replacement?

(Yes - I did say Ross) lol

Similarly, it’s not such a big thing to ask to have Defoe making crunching defensive tackles or Jones winning defensive aerial battles at cross balls......

McGregor is a better GK than foderingham. He is number one for that very reason.

Overall he is, but it's ok to criticise or say that he could improve his distribution. The goalkeeper position has evolved so much even since McGregor started playing. The top keepers now are comfortable with the ball and can pick a pass.

I don't think you can compare it to Defoe or Jones as their positions don't ask for that and it's not something that is important to the position. Distribution for a goalkeeper is becoming increasingly important.

Interesting discussion but for me McGregor is the all round better keeper than Wes. I reckon his net contribution of goals prevented/created will be better than that of Wes. If you had a keeper who was as good as McGregor but with better distribution I'd say bring him in, but I guarantee they won't come cheap.

"All the top teams have them" and they cost a fortune!

Remember the trio of Wes, Keirnan and Wilson.

Absolutely nerve jangling any time either of them had the ball!
His distribution never led to conceding one single goal. The only reason peoples nerves were jangling is because football fans in this country haven't moved on from the by gone days where keepers booted it as hard as they could.

Back