Allan McGregor and Our Style of Play

I'd rather have the best shot stopper in the country with poor distribution keeping the sheets clean and just playing short to an aggressive pair of wing backs or low to a level headed centre back.
That tactic overplayed,eventually gets your defense into a few scary situations a game,and most of McGregors punts go to the opposition.Distribution is so important in today's game,for possession to be kept,and we all know how SG stresses the importance of possession.

I'm unconvinced if Foderingham is the answer, we saw him play it out from the back a lot under Warburton and the defenders couldn't handle the task.

Interested to see if our current group would make him look better at it
Fods distribution is probably the best in scotland. He always finds the space.

I honestly think a few have had a wee meltdown based on us conceding our first goal of pre-season against Blackburn last week.

There's no irony, you any many others seem to refuse to accept that the game has evolved beyond "defenders defend and attackers attack"

You say defenders defend and attackers attack, yet you fail to mention the whole point about your thread.... Gk’s

Required attributes imo....

GK - 99% defend 2% “attack”
CB - 90% defend 10% attack
Full-backs - 50% & 50%
CDM - 50% & 50%
CM - 30% defend & 70% attack
Wide forwards - 20% defend 80% attack
Striker - 5% defend 95% attack

Ideally GKs would be good with the ball at their feet but it’s far from a necessity.

The only position that has significantly changed over the decades are “full-backs”. The likes of Tav and any typical modern day full back is just as much of an attacker than they are a defender.

I honestly think a few have had a wee meltdown based on us conceding our first goal of pre-season against Blackburn last week.
Haha, I was waiting for someone to say this.

I've started a thread like this before and didnt get much actual discussion, decided it might be a good idea now that a poor performance from McGregor is fresh in everyone's minds

This is simply revisionist history, Foderingham was probably our player of the season every year until Gerrard was appointed.

Eh? You never expected Wes to have a clean sheet. We all know the shots that regularly beat Wes. And he was starting to shite himself from Celtic.

Who were the players that Goldson said were telling the new boys how great a team Celtic were? Mentally and technically, Wes just doesn’t have it to play for Rangers every week. The Nicky Walker of his generation.

Remember the trio of Wes, Keirnan and Wilson.

Absolutely nerve jangling any time either of them had the ball!

Kiernan was the worst of the 3 but let’s not kid ourselves that Wes is only a good centre half pairing away from being a top class keeper.

Nervous? Not for me. A keeper playing under the style Warburton was implementing needs a lot of bravery with the amount of risks he was having to take on a weekly basis.

The flaws in his game cannot just be attributed to his team mates. He has actual flaws. He wasn’t just unlucky because of Rob Kiernan.

The effort to save Rogic’s goal in the semi final was typical - slow to react mentally and in his physical movement.

That tactic overplayed,eventually gets your defense into a few scary situations a game,and most of McGregors punts go to the opposition.Distribution is so important in today's game,for possession to be kept,and we all know how SG stresses the importance of possession.

....and yet McGregor is, and will remain his No1?

The flaws in his game cannot just be attributed to his team mates. He has actual flaws. He wasn’t just unlucky because of Rob Kiernan.

The effort to save Rogic’s goal in the semi final was typical - slow to react mentally and in his physical movement.

And what about the world class save he made in extra time that actually gave us the chance to get to penalties and win the game? We could pick out a few howlers McGregor had last season worse than that.

Why do you think we are letting Alnwick go? The management team really rate Wes. It's academic what we think.

I have not said he is without flaws either I just think the criticism of him by some is way, way over the top. You'd think he was an absolute diddy when he's far from it.

Not quite as simple as that these days.
Exactly this.
It also takes the enthusiasm out of a topic for me when the OP needs to get 101 disclaimers in before the point of the thread, its happening more and more and still doesn't eradicate the snyde comments completely.
It's a sad part of modern day forum life.

Whisper it, but even our manager isn't perfect.
The fact everyone is reluctant to point out any imperfections probably causes our biggest gripe which is the number of tarrie related threads.

Decent post OP, and like many older players when it comes to his time to hang up the gloves it might come by very quickly. But I think Allan is the man to help us to 55.

I know it is.
Your pushing for Foderingham to replace McGregor,which is fine,but don't dress it up as anything else.
Btw I posted this from the asylum.

I don’t think he is. There’s absolutely a discussion that McGregors distribution is poor. It always has been. He’s still number one and will be until he retires probably. But it’s not a crime to point out a flaw in his game.

Kiernan was the worst of the 3 but let’s not kid ourselves that Wes is only a good centre half pairing away from being a top class keeper.

Don’t get me wrong. Wes’ kick-outs are tremendous, and he’s alright with the ball at his feet (two different attributes btw). He’s also a decent ‘keeper.

What I’m saying is, he’s nowhere near McGregor’s level.

Whilst I agree with you that Wes is only a good centre-half pairing away from being a very good gk.... I’d also turn that round to say that keirnan and Wilson (although still not great) wouldn’t have been half as bad if they had an assured/commanding goalkeeper like McGregor behind them.

I’d love to see Wes eventually become McGregor’s replacement. He’ll need to watch, learn and play a bit part for another coupe of years though.

Don’t get me wrong. Wes’ kick-outs are tremendous, and he’s alright with the ball at his feet (two different attributes btw). He’s also a decent ‘keeper.

What I’m saying is, he’s nowhere near McGregor’s level.

Whilst I agree with you that Wes is only a good centre-half pairing away from being a very good gk.... I’d also turn that round to say that keirnan and Wilson (although still not great) wouldn’t have been half as bad if they had an assured/commanding goalkeeper like McGregor behind them.

I’d love to see Wes eventually become McGregor’s replacement. He’ll need to watch, learn and play a bit part for another coupe of years though.

You quoted the wrong guy or totally misunderstood. Taki thinks Wes couldn't keep weans out a close :D

I'm not expecting this thread to go very well but it's something I think we need to consider, so here it goes

I'll say this just to avoid as much abuse as possible, McGregor is the best shot stopper in the league and one of the best in Rangers history, I dont think many people would deny that.

His biggest weakness is his distribution and our style of play emphasises it ridiculously, he takes forever to initiate counter attacks and seemingly only has a long ball out to Tavernier in his locker, even that is only successful about 50% of the time.

So far from games this season, it looks like we're planning on being a lot more possession based in an attempt to drag teams up the pitch and create space, for this to be as effective as possible it would be ideal to have a keeper with a better than average range of passing.

Considering that we should be planning for the long term future of that position anyway, should we be looking to bring someone in who can perform better in this aspect sooner rather than later?
His primary and most important function as a goalkeeper.

Back