Allan McGregor or Jon McLaughlin

Who should be 1st Choice.

• McGregor

Votes: 744 45.7%
  • McLaughlin

Votes: 884 54.3%

• Total voters
We are lucky to have two fantastic keepers. If I'm pushed I'll take macgregor for his shot stopping but McLaughlin's use of the ball is excellent. I'm happy with either. Rangers tradition of 1st class keepers continues

McGregor.

McLaughlin hasn’t had a single thing to do bar a point blank save against St Johnstone because our defence has been so good.

It‘s actually alarming that people are writing off McGregor for nothing. Short memories and the old recency bias is alive and well in this thread.

McLaughlin is a good keeper to have but it’s going to take a lot to displace The King.

I ask myself who I want in goals on 17 October when we go to Parkhead. The answer to that has always been clear to me. It is McGregor all day long.

What has McLaughlin actually done, serious question? Greegs pulled off 2/3 proper goal bound saves tonight!
Saves that McLaughlin would’ve pulled off anyway, that’s how this debate works isn’t it?

Shocked that so many in the vote have went for McLaughlin, McGregor for me every day of the week. McLaughlin a good keeper but McGregor is fantastic .

At the end of the day it show our depth in squad of people are saying McGregor should be benched , so all good to keep up a challenge for places

Your team? Very good?

Why can’t, or why don’t you answer the question?
Do one. You’re either a mentally challenged or a troll, or both, why don’t you answer that question. McGregor is our number one. I’m happy my team has got two good keepers. I’m not about to dredge through FF because some dipshit wants me to prove there are McGregor haters out there. I’m not answering you again. You’re a clown.

I previously picked Jon and rightly so.. But tonight cemented my heart on Allan he is and always should be number one when fully fit.

A couple of world class saves this evening and 1 at a crucial point.

I’m not fully convinced that McLaughlin’s distribution is as good as people here seem to say it is. Having said that I don’t think theres a lot between them but I’d give McGregor the edge

Rangers have nearly always had 2 excellent keepers providing competition and cover, this team is the same. Happy with either / whoever is fit / whoever the manager selects.

Greegs was awesome again last tonight, i think if he can win the title with us i might just put him ahead of Goram.

Proved the haters wrong tonight. Greegs is, and should remain, the number one.
There are no haters, everyone appreciates what shagger has gave the club. Personally I voted McLaughlin due to his performances and how comfortable he is with the ball at his feet. I’ve now changed my vote, shagger reminded me tonight how good a keeper he is, absolutely tremendous.

We are very fortunate to have 2 excellent keepers.

McGregor was outstanding tonight, but something that was also mentioned on the match thread I believe is that McLaughlin seems to be better at distributing the ball and setting up attacks from the back, something McGregor lacks.

I don't think McLaughlin deserves to be dropped just because McGregor did well.

You said proved the haters wrong haha
Look. For the hard of thinking I will write this once more. If I wanted to put "prove the haters on this thread wrong" I would have put "prove the haters on this thread wrong". I didn't because I didn't see him getting much stick on the thread as it was a straight up and down vote as to whom people prefer in goal: McGregor or McLaughlin. I posted my comments in the keeper thread because I didn't think my comments were worth another new thread, but just to be clear: McGregor has came in for all sorts of stick from certain parties from his "distribution" to his "not coming out for cross balls" to his "shouting and moaning at players". It was (and still is) my impression that certain posters couldn't wait to see him dropped, again, my impression. As for the term "haters", used loosely, but of course you and the other chappies that took exception to my post know that. This really is the last i'm answering this post as I'm going to re-watch the game (and Greegsy's fine performance among others) as soon as I finish work.

I think McGregor kicked about 4 balls straight into touch and that is his problem. I think McGregor will now keep the jersey after that performance tonight.

Thread is wild. Both deserve a start, good problem to have. Nothing else to it as far as I'm concerned, but the fact that we have a thread dedicated to this debate explicitly exposes some posters. Should have a thread for each player as it would stop the repetitive shite every week regarding so and so.

McGregor showed why he is worth 10 points a season and has been since he signed, but acknowledging his performance isn't and should never be a criticism of McLaughlin. Whoever is between the sticks is the last thing to worry about currently, and thank %^*&.

Do one. You’re either a mentally challenged or a troll, or both, why don’t you answer that question. McGregor is our number one. I’m happy my team has got two good keepers. I’m not about to dredge through FF because some dipshit wants me to prove there are McGregor haters out there. I’m not answering you again. You’re a clown.
mentally challenged? Troll? Clown? Dipshit?

I did answer the question you...

[edited because you’re not worth the ban]

Last edited:
McGregor clearly still our best shot-stopping goalkeeper IMO, but I suspect we may still see McLaughlin play a lot more games than some people expect. Not just because McGregor is at an age when playing twice every week may be too much to ask but because McLaughlin has showed good concentration and his ability with the ball at his feet may be an asset in games where the opposition are parking the bus and we need to move the ball quickly when it’s cleared.

In any event, I’ll be quite relaxed to see either in the starting line up for any game.

[
Look. For the hard of thinking I will write this once more. If I wanted to put "prove the haters on this thread wrong" I would have put "prove the haters on this thread wrong". I didn't because I didn't see him getting much stick on the thread as it was a straight up and down vote as to whom people prefer in goal: McGregor or McLaughlin. I posted my comments in the keeper thread because I didn't think my comments were worth another new thread, but just to be clear: McGregor has came in for all sorts of stick from certain parties from his "distribution" to his "not coming out for cross balls" to his "shouting and moaning at players". It was (and still is) my impression that certain posters couldn't wait to see him dropped, again, my impression. As for the term "haters", used loosely, but of course you and the other chappies that took exception to my post know that. This really is the last i'm answering this post as I'm going to re-watch the game (and Greegsy's fine performance among others) as soon as I finish work.
Calm it and hopefully sober it. Seen you calling people morons etc and you can’t even realise you did say proved the haters wrong.

McGregor made some amazing saves last night, the kind which great keepers make and the very good ones only do once in a blue moon. He does them all the time. For that I'd like to see him start in the big games, but....

My only nervousness with him is his distribution and how he is on the ball due to the way we play and what we expect from our keeper now. McLaughlin seems to be more comfortable playing the ball with his feet, has very good distribution and is able to recycle the ball much quicker. Its a harsh thing to criticise McGregor for, but you can see why we've signed McLaughlin as he's a better fit for our system.

Its a great problem for us to have!

There's not much in it and the fight for the jersey seems to be getting performances out them both. I'd keep them on their toes and let them know nobody is guaranteed their place.

Back