Allan McGregor or Jon McLaughlin

Who should be 1st Choice.

• McGregor

Votes: 744 45.7%
  • McLaughlin

Votes: 884 54.3%

• Total voters
Going against the grain here but I'm a fan of playing your best goalie - its too important a position to tinker with - so I'd go with McGregor next week. If his form dips and he's making mistakes then I would have zero issue with McLaughlin getting the nod but I would give McGregor his chance to retain the #1 spot
must agree with yoy think mcgregor is a better keeper mclaughlin done nothing wrong so deserves his chance but i still think if mcgregor had been in goal on sunday i think he would have saved the hibes first goal with his legs

Both very good keepers I have seen more of McGregor and rate him higher because of that, but would have no problem with McLaughlin playing as he's done so well.

Thread is wild. Both deserve a start, good problem to have. Nothing else to it as far as I'm concerned, but the fact that we have a thread dedicated to this debate explicitly exposes some posters. Should have a thread for each player as it would stop the repetitive shite every week regarding so and so.

McGregor showed why he is worth 10 points a season and has been since he signed, but acknowledging his performance isn't and should never be a criticism of McLaughlin. Whoever is between the sticks is the last thing to worry about currently, and thank %^*&.

cant disagree.
my thoughts are Jon comes for cross balls, Alan stays rooted.
before Jon signed, I assume that during training/practice the defence would prepare in the knowledge that was the case.
both guys are top class imo.

Rotate. Both class

100%. Play to the strengths of both: McLaughlin against teams that sit in as an extra man who can play from the back, aswell as coming to claim crosses into the box which is one of their main weapons.

McGregor for games in Europe and domestically where we're likely to face more shots on target e.g. Celtic, Hibs, Aberdeen.

100%. Play to the strengths of both: McLaughlin against teams that sit in as an extra man who can play from the back, aswell as coming to claim crosses into the box which is one of their main weapons.

McGregor for games in Europe and domestically where we're likely to face more shots on target e.g. Celtic, Hibs, Aberdeen.
Get your point but i think rotating goalkeepers that often is a recipe for disaster.

Are we getting to the point where we can start putting McGregor up there with The Goalie?
He's not even near Klos or Woods let alone Goram. He's a good goalkeeper. Let's not forget he got away with a big mistake early on when they missed a sitter from his fumble. The header at the end was straight at him and I'd be raging had one of our players headed it straight at the goalkeeper from that distance. He played well last night and take nothing from away from him.

He will never be compared with the three mentioned above as he chucks 3 or 4 in a season. His 'shagger' persona creates some sort of mistake amnesia with a range of our support.

I like him, he's mad as a box of frogs and shows passion.

But to answer your question- no :)

Love Greegsy but it has to be McLaughlin.

McGregor is a better GK overall but I don't see how you can drop McLaughlin without basically saying to him nothing he does will be good enough to be our No.1.

Unless McLaughlin was brought in on the understanding that he will always be No.2 until Shagger is off form or unfit then we can't drop him now. Backup keepers are always told to "be patient and take your chance when it comes" and McLaughlin has done that for me.

Should McGregor when fully fit get the start or do you continue with McLaughlin ?

Close call for me but Jon has done nothing wrong this season and looks to be better with the ball at his feet.
John is definitely better with ball at feet but Alan is a rock and pulls the team out of it time and again- the stops he made last night were outstanding and came at critical points in the match - so still alan for me but really not much in it.

Here’s the thing. McGregor is the better shot stopper by miles but it’s no coincidence that when McLaughlin is in goals (or Alexander back in the day who kept 7 clean sheets, I think, when McGregor got dropped in 09) they face less shots? Would love to see some stats to back that up.

McGregor not as good at organising a defence IMO. Would have McLaughlin - less shaky moments.

Back