Allan McGregor - Rangers GOAT

Thee bit I don't get though, and I have seen it written a 100 times in here, is that Goram at one point was the Best Keeper in the World.
One of his greatest games was in a showpiece England's Champions v Scotland's Champions European Cup tie against Leeds Utd, and yet none of the big boys came after him, that I know of.
At that time we were as big as any club in England ,the only club close were Man United and they had Schmiechel who was pretty decent and didn't need replacing.

Last edited:
After I heard what goram said about Eric caldow in aconversstion with Abb in the toilets of the 20 club when they thought their was no one there both of them can get to %^*&. Eric caldow was a gentleman, photos all night to everyone for nothing, hate to slag ex Rangers players, and someone who done time for passing fake euros, delete if you want admin.
Who got done for passing fake euros ??

We have been blessed with truly world-class keepers. Shagger, Goram, Klos n woods. While the mhanks had Rab Douglas n Barkarse.

I’ve said this a few times in recent debates but it’s fingers in the ears stuff from folk who don’t want to know. He’s had too many clangers to even be in competition with Goram.
Quite the view that is.

Imagine FF in Goram's first season as we go out of 2 cups in a fortnight and he's at fault for goals in those games and for league points dropped.

We've got 14 games left in this league season and in europe and in the SC and some on here are already looking to next season and some are trashing our players.

Live in the moment and stay positive. Try it you'll feel better off it. A few GOATs on here......

He wasn’t. Period. I can see why many of us believe so, but the modern game - McGregor’s career - is so much faster and the attention levels/reflexes needed are infinitely more. McGregor GOAT.
Compelling arguments for the modern game, and they may have some substance elsewhere but not in Scotland, do you really believe the standard and calibre of players in Scotland is better now than then?? ... B-)

Got a feeling this will never be settled.

Personally I reckon McGreogor has pulled off more 'ridiculius saves' than goram (by which I mean saves that didn't just look good, but he had no right to save - I think most of us know the distinction well. I am undoubtedly effected by the fact I was young in the 90s, wasn't able to watch every game as I do these days and that will have impacted my judgement (and many others).

The calibre of team-mate and opposition have also been very different, even within their own careers.

Realistically, best way to determine the answer if it is needed is to look at stats:

- % clean sheets kept over career in our shirt.
- % of shots faced saved over total career. - % games awarded MoTM.

Those two might not be hard to calculate but would take some time. If anyone cares that much I'd suggest spending your time calculating those and then sharing, rather than spending hundreds of hours for the next few decades debating something that will never be resolved purely by every individuals selective memories and edited highlights on YouTube...

But Lord knows I don't have the time haha

Compelling arguments for the modern game, and they may have some substance elsewhere but not in Scotland, do you really believe the standard and calibre of players in Scotland is better now than then?? ... B-)

I mean. I would say the standards and speed of the ball are higher than say the 70s, with the fully professional era and sports science/training expectations...

But the quality around in the 90's even outwith the old firm you are absolutely right. One of the saddest things is knowing how far the game in Scotland has fallen in quality due to mismanagment

Absolute shite. List the mistakes?

This post is some effort to go to in order to deride a Rangers player. Just saying.
No it isnt. It's simply a counter argument to this nonsense that he is "GOAT". I've already said I like and rate him but others have been far more consistent than he. Which is what a goalkeeper should be judged on and not hollywood saves.

1/ I don’t understand this one.

2/ We were as big as any in those days,
At that time we were as big as any club in England ,the only club close were Man United and they had Schmiechel who was pretty decent and didn't need replacing.
I am not disputing that we were as big as anybody in England, but the claim I keep seeing, and was replying to, was that he was the best keeper in the World, and the world obviously stretches further than just England.
My point about Goram's performance in the Leeds game, was that it was a huge European tie, that would have attracted attention around Europe/the World, as opposed to say the Scottish League, where outside of Scotland, few people cared or noticed.
I have seen several different lists of Great Goalkeepers of the 1990's, (Worldwide, not just the UK), and outside of FollowFollow, I have never seen Goram get a mention in any of these lists.

Tazzabear, to clarify '1/ I don’t understand this one.',
I just meant that the fact that we have over 150 posts arguing/disputing it, shows that McGregor has earned the right to make this a serious discussion, as opposed to a non starter, as some might see it.

I gave McGregor the slight edge because I have seen McGregor a lot more.
Unfortunately, living in Texas in the 1990's. I did not get to see so much of Goram.
I concede, that I am not best placed to give a resounding opinion on this, but I don't have a closed mind on it either.,

I am not disputing that we were as big as anybody in England, but the claim I keep seeing, and was replying to, was that he was the best keeper in the World, and the world obviously stretches further than just England.
My point about Goram's performance in the Leeds game, was that it was a huge European tie, that would have attracted attention around Europe/the World, as opposed to say the Scottish League, where outside of Scotland, few people cared or noticed.
I have seen several different lists of Great Goalkeepers of the 1990's, (Worldwide, not just the UK), and outside of FollowFollow, I have never seen Goram get a mention in any of these lists.

Tazzabear, to clarify '1/ I don’t understand this one.',
I just meant that the fact that we have over 150 posts arguing/disputing it, shows that McGregor has earned the right to make this a serious discussion, as opposed to a non starter, as some might see it.

I gave McGregor the slight edge because I have seen McGregor a lot more.
Unfortunately, living in Texas in the 1990's. I did not get to see so much of Goram.
I concede, that I am not best placed to give a resounding opinion on this, but I don't have a closed mind on it either.,
Perhaps similar to McCoist in that there's little to dispute he was one of the best out and out strikers in the world.

He was also a bit of a car crash of a person, which no doubt would put off some. Much like Gascoigne who I'm sure you wouldn't dispute being one of the best of the world at his peak.

Last edited:
Perhaps similar to McCoist in that there's little to dispute he was one of the best out and out strikers in the world.
Possibly, but McCoist did get the Golden Boot a couple of times, and was recognised outside of Scotland because of it.
However, I still don't think outside of Scotland, McCoist would be considered to be on the level of Ronaldo, Marco Van Basten, Romario, Shearer, or even Raul or Batistuta.
McCoist's record at International level of less than a Goal every three games is not great, and a fair chunk of his 19 international goals (61 Appearances), were against the likes of San Marino, Malta, Cyprus, Egypt, Canada etc.

Last edited:
Possibly, but McCoist did get the Golden Boot a couple of times, and was recognised outside of Scotland because of it.
However, I still don't think outside of Scotland, McCoist would be considered to be on the level of Ronaldo, Marco Van Basten, Romario, Shevchenko, Shearer, or even Raul or Batistuta.
McCoist's record at International level of less than a Goal every three games is not great, and a fair chunk of his 19 international goals (61 Appearances), were against the likes of San Marino, Malta, Cyprus, Egypt, Canada etc.
McCoist won the GB before the points index came into play so I’m not sure it would carry awful lot of credence.

The three following winners played in the Welsh league, Armenian league & Latvian league so I’m not sure it was a barometer to base ability on.

I don’t doubt McCoist was known in Britain & scored a couple of goals in Europe against decent teams (Kiev).

Like you said though, why is nobody else coming in for these guys (out with Cologne).

Quite the view that is.

Imagine FF in Goram's first season as we go out of 2 cups in a fortnight and he's at fault for goals in those games and for league points dropped.

We've got 14 games left in this league season and in europe and in the SC and some on here are already looking to next season and some are trashing our players.

Live in the moment and stay positive. Try it you'll feel better off it. A few GOATs on here......

Don’t quite see the relevance of this to be honest. It’s a discussion forum and people are comparing two players, hard not to do that if you don’t look at their respective ups and downs, what the remainder of this season or next season has to do with anything I’m not quite sure.

That being said if FF had been around back then I’m sure Goram would have been written off, that mistake where he misjudged the flight of the ball and it flew past him is quite a famous moment, mainly because it’s one of the very few errors he ever made in his career. Noting McGregor’s mistakes over the year isn’t “trashing” him, it’s being honest and having a grown up discussion. As I’ve already noted, McGregor is probably my favourite player in the current team.

He was also a bit of a car crash of a person, which no doubt would put off some. Much like Gascoigne who I'm sure you wouldn't dispute being one of the best of the world at his peak.
Ah, you edited, and added this later, after my reply, but you are correct on this one, I would not dispute that Gascoigne was one of the best in the world at his peak.
Though I still maintain there is little or no evidence to suggest that Goram or McCoist would ever be considered to be the best in the World in their respective positions, outside of FollowFollow.

Ah, you edited, and added this later, after my reply, but you are correct on this one, I would not dispute that Gascoigne was one of the best in the world at his peak.
Though I still maintain there is little or no evidence to suggest that Goram or McCoist would ever be considered to be the best in the World in their respective positions, outside of FollowFollow.
I'm guessing you're a bit young to remember Goram at his peak and are perhaps basing this on a lack of information online based, due to the fact that the Internet wasn't really what it is now?

So where were the huge clubs, bigger than Rangers that were desperate for Gascoigne?

The 2010/11 title was largely down to McGregor; not just because of the Samaras save, but throughout that season. Hopefully he has the same role to play in the run-in this season. Just a great goalkeeper and won't be last we see for a while; he is going to be one hard act to follow.

I'm guessing you're a bit young to remember Goram at his peak and are perhaps basing this on a lack of information online based, due to the fact that the Internet wasn't really what it is now?
You are guessing wrong again, as you seem prone to do, without ever reading properly what I wrote.
I am young enough to have watched Rangers since Billy Ritchie.
All I did was give an opinion, and answered your question of sorts, and you have since added McCoist, and latterly Gascoigne to the equasion, for why, I have no idea.
I don't wish to take this thread off on a tangent, which is about Goram/McGregor,
so please, find someone else to irritate.

Its not hyperbole to say that for 3 or 4 years Goram couldve walked into any starting 11 in world football.

Last edited:
Of course McGregor is a great keeper but at the moment in my eyes he is marginally behind Goram. There’s still time for him to take over the top goalkeeper spot if he continues his fine form.

Nobody mentioned our own Prince of Goalkeepers the one and only Jerry Dawson.

Ancient Loyal
Good shout, I've always said that if you're going to look at the greatest ever then at least read up on the players of era's from the club history. You don't have to have seen a player, you can derive good knowledge of how good a player was from the archives

Good shout, I've always said that if you're going to look at the greatest ever then at least read up on the players of era's from the club history. You don't have to have seen a player, you can derive good knowledge of how good a player was from the archives
Correct.

Back