Allan McGregor - Rangers GOAT

Goram definitely won a few games for us during that period but I wouldn't say the defence was that bad. Maybe not as "dominant " as I previously claimed but we were walking away with league titles around that time up until about 95 when it was close
I think that is fair enough mate!.

@Sjbaxter77 i get your points, but we conceded more goals in every season from 94-98 than we have in any season since McGregor came back.

That suggests either, that Goram kept very little out or that the defence let that teams have more shots on goal than you’d expect.

Look at any OF games back then, Goram is making 3/4/5 big saves & that’s only on 20 minute highlight clips.

McGregor only needs to make 1 or 2 these days because our defence lets the opposition get so few shots away.

My opinion isn’t as valid here, but from what I’ve seen between say 93-96 the defence in particular looked very very poor.
I think the failings of the 9IAR squad in Europe in general during that period calls into question how great the team was on a wider level. In the first three attempts there's no shame in losing to Bayern Munich then Red Star but that's followed by what looks like a shaky exit in the first round to Sparta Prague. The season after that saw us doing amazingly well in the Champions League but that's the only run that ties in with this idea of the players and team potentially being world class. Maybe there was a similar sort of attitude as we've seen at Sharkhead lately in that winning a lot of things domestically excused European underperformance more than it should have been allowed to.

Last edited:
[
I think its fair enough if people think McGregor is better but the OP claiming nobody comes close is borderline trolling. Goram couldve walked into any starting 11 in the world.
Absolutely... I sometimes debate with myself whos better!
In the end goram pips it for me, and you’re absolutely correct, he could have

I think the failings of the 9IAR squad in general during that period calls into question how great the team was on a wider level. In the first three attempts there's no shame in losing to Bayern Munich then Red Star but that's followed by what looks like a shaky exit in the first round to Sparta Prague. The season after that saw us doing amazingly well in the Champions League but that's the only run that ties in with this idea of the players and team potentially being world class. Maybe there was a similar sort of attitude as we've seen at Sharkhead lately in that winning a lot of things domestically excused European underperformance more than it should have been allowed to.
Barring 92-93 our European performance was awful. Dynamo Kiev was brilliant but was an anomaly unfortunately. These days we are much ,much better in Europe despite a much bigger financial disparity

Aye, the one instance there was loads of footage :))
Was at that game, most folk around me didn't think anything of it at the time. Certainly couldn't believe it ended up in court
I listened to it on my old wireless hahaha, got my season ticket the following season. First OF game 5-1 :D

Barring 92-93 our European performance was awful. Dynamo Kiev was brilliant but was an anomaly unfortunately. These days we are much ,much better in Europe despite a much bigger financial disparity

To be fair mate this team are also playing in the Europa league. That team was in the CL going against the best in Europe. We are a cracking side in Europe though no question, it’ll be interesting to see how we fair in the CL.

To be fair mate this team are also playing in the Europa league. That team was in the CL going against the best in Europe. We are a cracking side in Europe though no question, it’ll be interesting to see how we fair in the CL.
Aye true, we were actually competing with the best of the best tbf. I would happily take the CL group stage now

Aye true, we were actually competing with the best of the best tbf. I would happily take the CL group stage now

I’m confident we could do well in the CL under Gerrard, I think his style really suits the European stage. I love Walter but it’s one thing that never quite clicked for him enough, a couple of sublime euro campaigns amidst quite a few disasterous ones. Whereas we’ve always done ourselves proud in Europe under Gerrard.

Peter McCloy was my hero growing up pal. That’s how old I am. Will always love the goalie, but McGregor eclipses him. A few on here just don’t want to know it.

Or they just don’t agree with you maybe.

You’re posing something that is entirely unprovable and completely subjective. So be prepared for varying opinions.

I think Klos gets forgotten about in these debates which is a shame as he was incredibly consistent and rarely caught out of position. He was the best I've seen at using his feet in making saves.

The fact he acted in a way completely unbecoming of what was a sensational, top-level career after his cruciate injury probably puts some people off him.

Wireless??
Your gonna have to explain that to the younger bears on here :D
The 5-1 was a glorious day out
My uncle had a gigantic wireless boombox thing with a tiny tv screen in it. He would take me and my brothers to the park to play football on Saturdays and we would watch, or at least try to watch the tiny grainy footage, stuff like reruns of Batman with Adam West while we had lunch then put Clyde on the radio to listen to the scores.

I’m confident we could do well in the CL under Gerrard, I think his style really suits the European stage. I love Walter but it’s one thing that never quite clicked for him enough, a coupe of sublime euro campaigns amidst quite a few disasterous ones. Whereas we’ve always done ourselves proud in Europe under Gerrard.
I think we could compete to a certain degree but realistically if we managed to qualify from the group stage, it would be massive for us. I think the group stage is our level

My uncle had a gigantic wireless boombox thing with a tiny tv screen in it. He would take me and my brothers to the park to play football on Saturdays and we would watch, or at least try to watch the tiny grainy footage, stuff like reruns of Batman with Adam West while we had lunch then put Clyde on the radio to listen to the scores.
My da had a wee radio that he held up to his ear (no headphones) to check the scores lol ,he later upgraded to the headphone model hahaha

I think we could compete to a certain degree but realistically if we managed to qualify from the group stage, it would be massive for us. I think the group stage is our level

Giving a good account of ourselves in the group stages is what I’m talking about. I wouldn’t expect qualification and I certainly wouldn’t expect us to go past the first round of knockouts.

Mate had one of those boombox things, only the radio seemed to work on it. Very different times

I genuinely only ever remember McGregor making one mistake and it was at Ibrox when we beat them 4-2. McCoist was manager

Tynecastle he let 1 slip through his hands too. IIRC we came back and won 2-1 with 10 men after Thomson was sent off early doors

Boyd last minute penalty to win

Didn’t he come running 30 yards off his line at Ibrox too in a 2-0 defeat when Samaras knocked it round him? I may be imagining this.

I’d also say he’s been partly at fault for a fair few goals that have come from crosses landing in his 6 yard box where for me, he should have came and punched it away and instead stayed on his line. 3-3 Motherwell game springs to mind with their late equaliser where the guy put it in from about 4 yards out

He wasn’t. Period. I can see why many of us believe so, but the modern game - McGregor’s career - is so much faster and the attention levels/reflexes needed are infinitely more. McGregor GOAT.

I'll be honest, I can't split the three of them Goalie, Der Goalie and Shagger.

Goram against Leeds at Elland Road was probably his finest performance.

Der Goalie against the mentally challengeds at Stade De Gadd in a 1-0 win for us with Rod Wallace scoring the goal on a coo field pitch.

Shagger against Werder Bremen, I love them all equally and just can't bring myself to split them.

Tynecastle he let 1 slip through his hands too. IIRC we came back and won 2-1 with 10 men after Thomson was sent off early doors

Boyd last minute penalty to win

Didn’t he come running 30 yards off his line at Ibrox too in a 2-0 defeat when Samaras knocked it round him? I may be imagining this.

I’d also say he’s been partly at fault for a fair few goals that have come from crosses landing in his 6 yard box where for me, he should have came and punched it away and instead stayed on his line. 3-3 Motherwell game springs to mind with their late equaliser where the guy put it in from about 4 yards out

Theres been a lot more of those types of error than there ever was from Goram, Woods or Klos. It’s no slight on McGregor anyway, those were real top level keepers so if anyone believes he’s not quite as their level it’s not exactly an insult.

Just glad he’s still our number 1.

After I heard what goram said about Eric caldow in aconversstion with Abb in the toilets of the 20 club when they thought their was no one there both of them can get to %^*&. Eric caldow was a gentleman, photos all night to everyone for nothing, hate to slag ex rangers players, and someone who done time for passing fake euros, delete if you want admin.

After I heard what goram said about Eric caldow in aconversstion with Abb in the toilets of the 20 club when they thought their was no one there both of them can get to %^*&. Eric caldow was a gentleman, photos all night to everyone for nothing, hate to slag ex Rangers players, and someone who done time for passing fake euros, delete if you want admin.

Abb?

Absolutely no doubt in my mind that he’s the greatest goalkeeper ever to have played for our wonderful club.
I have been fortune enough to have seen Woods, Goram & Klos but for me McGregor tops the lot, which in itself is quite remarkable.

Andy Goram was easily one of the best if not the best keeper in the world at his peak. For me for a period he was better than Schmeichel.

As much as I love McGregor there's a reason he's never been seen as such, there's a reason he played for the likes of Hull and Cardiff. He's improved a lot and stopped a lot of clangers that he used to drop and has been fucking brilliant for us since returning.

But he's not near Gorams level.

That clip is absolutely brilliant mate. Wonderful stuff. I love Greegs, great goalie and a hard, competitive player but he just did not make saves like that - that often. I grew up in the sixties and the first great goalie of my lifetime was Woods (although Stewart Kennedy was for a while outstanding). Woods was just different class but Goram eclipsed him. Klos was up there but just not as many of those out of this world saves as Goram.
All that said Greegs for longevity is almost there, but it is still Goram. He is the man.

Peter McCloy was my hero growing up pal. That’s how old I am. Will always love the goalie, but McGregor eclipses him. A few on here just don’t want to know it.
As someone older than you who grew up with Billy Ritchie and remembers George Niven I disagree about Goram/Greegs.
Greegs is a brilliant keeper and a hard competitive player, but Goram was far better. He made fewer mistakes and far more wonderful saves. That night in Bremen and with THAT save Greegs was unbelievable but any viewing of Goram's career would show 1or 2 like it.

Andy Goram was easily one of the best if not the best keeper in the world at his peak. For me for a period he was better than Schmeichel.

As much as I love McGregor there's a reason he's never been seen as such, there's a reason he played for the likes of Hull and Cardiff. He's improved a lot and stopped a lot of clangers that he used to drop and has been fucking brilliant for us since returning.

But he's not near Gorams level.

Goram was fantastic (as is McGregor), and the fact it is even a discussion/argument, indicates McGregor hasn't earned the right to make it a discussion.

The bit I don't get though, and I have seen it written a 100 times in here, is that Goram at one point was the Best Keeper in the World.
One of his greatest games was in a showpiece England's Champions v Scotland's Champions European Cup tie against Leeds Utd, and yet none of the big boys came after him, that I know of.

You almost mock McGregor for playing for Hull and Cardiff, but Hull City were in the EPL.
McGregor saved a Frank Lampard penalty on his EPL debut, and went to an FA Cup Final at Wembley, losing 2-3 to Arsenal in extra time.
Andy Goram did play with some shite teams, outwith Rangers.
His taste of glory in England's Top Flight, was a 3 month desperate contract, as a back up keeper at Man Utd, who had both keepers out injured.
Goram did make 2 appearances for Man Utd, the first one, in which he conceded 2 goals to lowly Coventry City's John Hartson. Goram was substituted after 66 mins.
Goram's only other appearance for Man Utd did not last quite as long, with Goram being substituted in the 57th minute.

But it is not about that though, is it?

It is about two of the greatest Goalkeepers ever, in their time at Rangers.

For me personally, I would give a slight edge to McGregor,
but having said that, I have to concede that I have been lucky enough to have watched a lot more of McGregor's great performances, than I was fortunate enough to see of Goram's great performances.

You could make a video of similar length for his mistakes too. That doesn't mean I don't rate him

Absolute shite. List the mistakes?

Sorry lads, I adore shagger I really do, but you just didn’t see Goram make these sorts of mistakes (against the scum no less). Okay the first two are out and out blunders, the second two aren’t but I’ve included them because they’re more recent examples of what I would call weak goalkeeping and it’s the sort of thing that hasn’t been common in McGregor’s career, but also hasn’t exactly been a rarity either. However, it was absolutely a rarity in Goram’s, you’ll struggle badly to find many examples of Goram being beaten that easily.

And as @erskine bear rightly notes, it’s the indecision coming for crosses at times too, I mean that cost us dear in the league cup semi for example, Sadiq took all the heat but shagger was poor at the winning goal. McGregor is a brilliant goalkeeper, my favourite player in the current side, but he’s not the greatest keeper we’ve ever had and to suggest “no one comes close” given all of what I’ve just discussed, suggests there’s mind bending class A substances coming into play here.

e5b7d19a-7dd7-489c-88d1-b8ee55f4ce20.gif

ca87aa9a-5284-4f4c-8136-e469d137898b.gif

756fe3c4-4ad4-4add-8519-e5c757a8fbd1.gif

7f97a026-442e-40fd-8cab-45805c9976fe.gif

This post is some effort to go to in order to deride a Rangers player. Just saying.

He wasn’t. Period. I can see why many of us believe so, but the modern game - McGregor’s career - is so much faster and the attention levels/reflexes needed are infinitely more. McGregor GOAT.
This is where McGregor loses out to Goram.
We faced a much higher standard of player in Goram’s day compared to now.
I’ve taken into consideration that we also had a higher level of player back then.

1/ Goram was fantastic (as is McGregor), and the fact it is even a discussion/argument, indicates McGregor hasn't earned the right to make it a discussion.

The bit I don't get though, and I have seen it written a 100 times in here, is that Goram at one point was the Best Keeper in the World.

2/ One of his greatest games was in a showpiece England's Champions v Scotland's Champions European Cup tie against Leeds Utd, and yet none of the big boys came after him, that I know of.

You almost mock McGregor for playing for Hull and Cardiff, but Hull City were in the EPL.
McGregor saved a Frank Lampard penalty on his EPL debut, and went to an FA Cup Final at Wembley, losing 2-3 to Arsenal in extra time.
Andy Goram did play with some shite teams, outwith Rangers.
His taste of glory in England's Top Flight, was a 3 month desperate contract, as a back up keeper at Man Utd, who had both keepers out injured.
Goram did make 2 appearances for Man Utd, the first one, in which he conceded 2 goals to lowly Coventry City's John Hartson. Goram was substituted after 66 mins.
Goram's only other appearance for Man Utd did not last quite as long, with Goram being substituted in the 57th minute.

But it is not about that though, is it?

It is about two of the greatest Goalkeepers ever, in their time at Rangers.

For me personally, I would give a slight edge to McGregor,
but having said that, I have to concede that I have been lucky enough to have watched a lot more of McGregor's great performances, than I was fortunate enough to see of Goram's great performances.
1/ I don’t understand this one.

2/ We were as big as any in those days,

After I heard what goram said about Eric caldow in aconversstion with Abb in the toilets of the 20 club when they thought their was no one there both of them can get to %^*&. Eric caldow was a gentleman, photos all night to everyone for nothing, hate to slag ex Rangers players, and someone who done time for passing fake euros, delete if you want admin.
Who's Abb and do you want to share what you heard as re; Caldow

Back