Allardyce Effect at Everton

Grizzlybear

Its quite amazing how they've went from losing nearly every game , not able to score and looking very like relegation candidates to being well organised and starting to pick up points all over the shop.

Whilst he was out of our budget, and this isnt a point about him personally as a manger it shows you what a new manager can do in a club with existing players to rise them up. He does that by calling on his experience of managing the players personally and tactically introducing some new ideas.

It serves as a perfect example of our own situation all be it on a slightly lesser scale of the English Premier league. They canned there interim manager to get someone in who knows what there doing after a bit of a long winded search for a manager and have reaped the benefits.

Whilst i never wanted a stop gap manager in the beginning we need someone experienced. I'd even accept Mcleish in the short term just now. the players in the last 3 games have not to me looked the least bit motivated at times. Why are they not up for it ?. why is there no substitutions or change to the shape of the team ?.

Murty is a nice guy but with him in charge until the end of the season i'd predict us finishing 4th when realistically with the players/resources we have we should be 2nd . its all too depressing.

I was at the Everton game yesterday. Whilst it looked like they parked two buses and a cab yesterday you certainly couldn't fault his sides desire, effort and organisation.

A few short weeks ago Chelsea may well have won by a handful.

The Chelsea keeper never had a save to make and Everton rode their luck but their fans can relax as they ain't going down.

You don't even have to look at teams like Everton and managers like Allardyce.

Look at what Steve Clarke has brought to Kilmarnock; from prime relegation candidates to pushing Hearts for 5th. He's signed in players that their fans would never have thought possible, and brought the best out of those that were there already. He's taken 4 points out of a possible 6 against us, a team that has spent more on an unused substitute than Kilmarnock's monetary turnover. Or, look at Rodgers at Celtic (on a domestic level).

What the board are doing to us and Murty is just criminal.

Big Sam over the years and also Pulis are 2 examples of managers who can work wonders with under performing squads, they have taken over lost causes and totally transformed them.

It should serve as a wee reminder to the folk on here who think Guardiola and Mourinho couldn't do anything with our squad.

Steve clarke and Moyes are also doing well since they've taken over killie and west ham, that's what happens when you get guys who know what they're doing, both would have done a fine job for us. But of course that wouldn't have been good enough for FF.

I’m an Everton supporter and it’s been some change of fortune. Wouldn’t want to play that style long term but it’s effective.

Big Sam was saying recently he wasn’t baffled how bad we were defensively when he came in. As it was easy for him with the quality at the club.

Steve clarke and Moyes are also doing well since they've taken over killie and west ham, that's what happens when you get guys who know what they're doing, both would have done a fine job for us. But of course that wouldn't have been good enough for FF.

Think the problem with wanting a Steve Clarke or David Moyes is that even if you could convince a large number of supporters that it's a decent appointment, convincing the men themselves is another matter.

If Mcinnes could turn us down giving his Rangers connections, what makes anyone think two individuals with Celtic connections would come anywhere near our club, especially the way things are being perceived behind the scenes ATM?

Clarke likely wants a crack at the job in the East End and managing us makes that a no go.

It is debatable whether the same effect would apply to us.

The players he inherited were good players, the squad strong and full of ability. They were massively under-performing and he instantly arrested that.

Do we have that talented squad to get playing well? Some of our players are certainly playing well within themselves but they have a limit.

The thinking seems to be that EPL managers like Big Sam and Tony Pulis are outwith our budget but the money we let Pedro splurge wastefully would have been better spent on a proven manager. Either of the above two would have had us challenging Celtic this season, even with Warburton's squad. No question.

I wanted big Sam from the start but all we can afford is Murty,when next season comes the season ticket money will pay for the new manager,all Dave King wanted was to get the AGM over with as smoothly as possible and he got it,the way I see it we were always going to get Murty till the end of the season.

Can’t believe the bread on here saying he wasn’t good enough. Then he same with every other manager named
Either some folk on here get joy out of our failures just so they can come on here and moan or they genuinely don’t have a clue where we as a club stand right now

Think the problem with wanting a Steve Clarke or David Moyes is that even if you could convince a large number of supporters that it's a decent appointment, convincing the men themselves is another matter.

If Mcinnes could turn us down giving his Rangers connections, what makes anyone think two individuals with Celtic connections would come anywhere near our club, especially the way things are being perceived behind the scenes ATM?

Clarke likely wants a crack at the job in the East End and managing us makes that a no go.
I see your point and perhaps you're right, maybe these guys would never want to come here but I'm not sure they think like that, at least i'd like to think not. No harm in the club asking the question after we sacked Pedro.

Those that are forever saying ‘Guardiola / Mourinho / Ferguson (name your managerial titan) couldn’t get anymore out of this squad’ are talking complete rubbish.

A good manager (let alone an excellent one) will have this current squad looking far more like one that’s been put together for around £8-10m.

Unfortunately, Murty isn’t that guy.

I see your point and perhaps you're right, maybe these guys would never want to come here but I'm not sure they think like that, at least i'd like to think not. No harm in the club asking the question after we sacked Pedro.

Would've taken either of them over Pedro or Murty.

Think it's the same as the Naismith situation to a certain extent. The board perhaps don't think the fans would be up for it and think there would be massive repercussions if they even tried it.

I love being a Rangers supporter and I'm dyed as blue as the next Bear at Ibrox, but I really don't care what fellow supporters think in regards to hiring and firing a manager.

All I want is a decent manager who gets the best out of the players he puts on the pitch, knows how to set up a team to win and understands what this club means to countless individuals around the world.

If Steve Clarke, David Moyes or Michael O Neill for that matter, is the man to do that, so be it.

Last edited:
Allardyce, Moyes and Clarke all turned their new clubs fortunes around. Its called employing a football manager.
That clown Robertson parades the clubs youth coach.
It makes me think of the TV programme The Apprentice. You see business owners and people supposedly leaders in their chosen field making an absolute arse of simple tasks and lacking common sense. You think it must be made up for TV cos no one can be that stupid.

He was my number one choice until I realised how unrealistic an option he was.

Does a fine job wherever he goes but unfortunately for us he gets paid accordingly. £££

He wasn't appointed England manager for no reason. Everton couldn't buy a goal all season and they weren't just losing, they were losing heavily. They've now got 4 clean sheets in the last six games.

If people really were naysaying big Sam they obviously don't have a phuckin clue about football and should follow rugby

We weren't going to get a former (albeit short lived)England manager.
Behave !

I dont think anyone said we were. If you actually read the original post its about the effect he's managed to have at Everton, and that we could enjoy a similar resurgence with any new suitable manager.

I dont think anyone said we were. If you actually read the original post its about the effect he's managed to have at Everton, and that we could enjoy a similar resurgence with any new suitable manager.
...... and subsequent posts and the previous threads said he wasn't wanted by some on here. IMO, good manager or not, he is a money grabbing chancer and I'd have wanted him nowhere near our club.],however unlikely that might have been.

What was the phrase at least three killie players used pre match versus us?

“Steve had come in and simplified the playbook if you like”

Ie he had players doing what they can do and demands they do it well. All very basic but what the best managers do well.

Interesting thread. Allardyce then adding Moyes, Pulis etc to the list. These guys are experienced football club managers, they know a bit about what it involves.

We have a development coach with zero managerial experience at the helm of our club. Some cranks have been calling for 2 months to give him the job full time. Be careful what you wish for, sometimes you get it. Even worse, the board of Rangers FC did it.

Chelsea were happy in the past to take in a manger for 6 months, why not us? A football club manager, managing the club short term. If Dave King wants his house painted should he phone a painter or a plumber? More to the point, does he know...

I love Sam Allardyce - one of my favourite ever managers.

Absolutely no surprise what he's doing at Everton - fully expected.

The Steve Clarke example is a better one imo,Killie have really won a watch with him

Folk on here didn't want him for his style of football :p

He has done a fantastic job there.

Judging by some of the stuff I have been reading on FF for weeks about potential managers, nothing short of Pep Guardiola would satisfy the majority of our supporters. When I see clubs in the EPL hiring managers that more than a few of our supporters say they simply don't rate then it tells me that there are either not many available good managers out there or that a lot of our supporters are a bit unrealistic about where we are at the moment.

Watched Everton at the weekend, back 5 two holding midfields, 3 others hardly crossed the halfway line, good point, however the football was awful...

You don't even have to look at teams like Everton and managers like Allardyce.

Look at what Steve Clarke has brought to Kilmarnock; from prime relegation candidates to pushing Hearts for 5th. He's signed in players that their fans would never have thought possible, and brought the best out of those that were there already. He's taken 4 points out of a possible 6 against us, a team that has spent more on an unused substitute than Kilmarnock's monetary turnover. Or, look at Rodgers at Celtic (on a domestic level).

What the board are doing to us and Murty is just criminal.

It is quite frankly absurd that a team such as Killie have an experienced ex-EPL manager whilst Rangers have their development team manager in charge. Nothing against Murty by the way but that's not my point.

Watched the game and they basically setup like a lower league team would playing Chelsea with very little appetite for having a go themselves and this was a home match for them.

The question is how long will the Everton fans accept their team playing like that?? For the rest of the year - certainly given where they have been, but next year ... not a chance in hell.

Fat Sam will no doubt spend a fortune in the summer and still end up playing his brand of medieval football against the top 6.

He is doing a fantastic job but we had no chance of getting him.

He always wanted the EPL and coming here would not be appealing I imagine as Scottish football is a backwater due the the SFA/SPFL and of course the mhanks hoardes who have infested every walk of life.

Their brand of hate and bigotry doesn’t appeal to most humans only to brain dead scum

First of all he needed someone to pay the 3 million to Crystal Palace. And he is only on a 18 month contract

Back