Allardyce knocks back Newcastle approach

Bonnyloyal

Sam Allardyce has revealed he turned down the chance to take the vacant manager's job at Newcastle.

The former England boss, who held the position at St James' Park, from 2007 until 2008, was under consideration to replace Rafael Benitez, who left the club at the end of June.

However, Allardyce told talkSPORT: "I was very flattered that I was considered but it's that thing... don't go back."

Allardyce continued: "It never got to the type of talks people are suggesting but it wasn't for me. I politely said 'no'.

"I never got to talk to Mike (Ashley, owner of the club). My agent contacted me, I had a think about it and a quick look at the situation and thanked them very much but (it's) not for me.

"Maybe if it was the first time around I would have jumped at it. I appreciate the offer but I was surprised, I've not worked for a full season."

Allardyce continued on talkSPORT: "It wasn't something I thought about for too long.

"I thought it'd be better to make a quick decision for everyone. We're in pre-season now and they're back in training."
Former Sunderland manager Steve Bruce is the man at the top of Newcastle's shortlist and formal contact with the 58-year-old Sheffield Wednesday boss is thought to be imminent.

Allardyce believes Bruce would love to be offered the position, adding: "If he gets offered the job I'll think he'll jump at the chance.
"I think it would be one of his dreams to manage his hometown club.

Bruce is the right fit for them, a proper Geordie, reasonable manager albeit very average at EPL level, and won’t complain about lack of funds to much.

The club really is a shambles. On some ways i very much feel sorry for their fans, i mean what enjoyment can there be from following their team right now, what hope is there, but then from the outside it doesn't appear that the majority are willing to do much about it.

The club really is a shambles. On some ways i very much feel sorry for their fans, i mean what enjoyment can there be from following their team right now, what hope is there, but then from the outside it doesn't appear that the majority are willing to do much about it.
I feel sorry for their support, real loyal football fans, probably too loyal in that they won’t take the drastic action required to rid themselves of the fat parasite but they do deserve better.

I work a fair bit in China and am friendly with a dyed in the wool Geordie, he is just as big a Newcastle fan as I am a bear, he hates Ashley as much as we do.

They are a toxic proposition under that rancid fat bastard Ashley.

He’ll be looking for a yes man manager, who’ll work with whatever fat Mike gives him.

They won’t be enticing anyone like Benitez again while that fat bastard remains in place.

I wouldn't be surprised if steve bruce turned it down under the currant circumstances. If he does who would touch it with a barge pole. Ashley has made the post toxic

I thought that would be the ideal fit. Ashley and Sam together. Has big Sam not got a history of corruption? Something to do with his agent son a Bolton? I may be wrong.

A good move - why anyone would want to work with that fat shit Ashley I don't know. However, big Sam did seem to have some kind words about him. Which is surprising.

Why any decent manager would want to touch that job is beyond me. I suppose the possibility of Ashley selling up could leave them in a good job is one thing but he seems to be struggling to sell them on.

Whoever takes that job must have a screw loose they are on a hiding to nothing with fat Cashley hemmoraging every penny and they have to better what a world class manager in Bentiez achieved

Big man wasn't too happy when some Geordie called Harmy said that Bruce and Allerdyce aren't the answer and they need to go for a yound progressive type like Derby have gone for in Cocu.

Even in their current circumstance Bruce is an awful appointment.

The idea they couldn't attract a better candidate than that is pretty farfetched - more oft than not always someone more desperate and their are plenty managers looking for work/could do with a profile boost.

All very toxic at Newcastle.

Can’t help but feel sorry for their fans.

However, they need to take action and start by starving MA

They really are fucked, appointing Steve Bruce is hilarious.

I also just realised that Rondon was only on loan at them last season.

Why is Steve Bruce Hilarious ? Very good manager, obviously either money motivated and totally gone batshit mental though to go and work for that fat cockney get...

No loyalty and another Judas in my eyes just like Big fat Ron Atkinson was and is when they walk away from my club... f**K him

Last edited:
Big man wasn't too happy when some Geordie called Harmy said that Bruce and Allerdyce aren't the answer and they need to go for a yound progressive type like Derby have gone for in Cocu.

That was Steve Harmison, the former cricketer and Newcastle fan. Detests Ashley and speaks like a supporter. Bruce will probably let his heart (and the money) rule his head and take the job.

Toxic.

Utterly toxic.

That fat phuck really is ruining a terrific football club with incredibly loyal fans.

Reactions: VGM
That was Steve Harmison, the former cricketer and Newcastle fan. Detests Ashley and speaks like a supporter. Bruce will probably let his heart (and the money) rule his head and take the job.

That's the fella. Big Sam wasn't too happy. Saying Harmy had been hoodwinked by the young European managers

That's the consequences of having a big greasy fat inhumane bastard running your football club.

No offence intended to Newcastle as a club I wish them nothing but luck in their battle to oust the fat wretch.

Apparently they tried the young upcoming manager route but both Gerrard and Viera told them to bolt.
Now big Sam has told them to bolt too.
They really are scraping the barrel and it’s either going to be someone out of work and desperate for a job (Hughes) or someone with an emotional connection to them ala Bruce.
Either way they are fucked, no one decent is gonna touch them.
They may as well take Pardew back as he is apparently still getting paid.
It’s nice to see that people are starting to wake up to toxic Fatty and giving him a wide Berth.

Bruce makes sense for Ashley. He'll be very easy to deal with. I can't see him kicking up a fuss the way Rafa (rightly) did. He'll probably just feel very fortunate to be the Newcastle manager and will accept whatever comes his way. I suspect the Newcastle fans are in for an awful season. Another relegation may be the final straw.

Missing out on big Sam ,
Declan-Donnelly.gif

Back