Ally Dawson Passed Away

This is very sad news about Ally Dawson. We met him at a friend’s house almost 40 years ago and he was a quiet unassuming man who, if you did not know he was a Rangers player, you would have had difficulty guessing he was a first team player and captain at Ibrox.

I know this will be little consolation to his family at this time but Ally, in the short number of hours I personally spent in his company, showed he was a decent man who was proud to be a Rangers player and who will, ultimately, be remembered long after the majority of us have gone.

Very sad news a Ranger through and through and an absolute gentleman, I had the pleasure of meeting Ally on a few occasions associated with Rangers events. RIP Ally, my thoughts are with your family.

So sad to learn of this earlier today...an absolute gentleman every time I`ve met him.
Deepest condolences to Ally`s family and friends; I hope the messages in his memory on this thread bring some comfort and strength to you.
R I P Ally.

Sad, sad news - 63 is no age at all.:(

A real reliable player, nothing flashy just dependable and had a bit of everything.

Condolences to his family and all that knew him.

He was the first captain I saw lift the Scottish Cup back in 1981. I think 6 of that team have now passed away, all too soon.

Deepest sympathies to his family. RIP Ally.

Sad news :( Knew he'd been unwell but not to what extent.
What surprised me was reading he went straight from us to Blackburn. I would have put money on it that he left us to take up a coaching position:oops:o_O
Sleep well.

Very sad news.

Seemed a decent guy as well as a decent player.

Scored in the first game of Walter Smith taking charge of the team at Love Street. Cracking goal from outside the box too IIRC.

Managed to play a few games in 86/87 too.

When I was 6-7 years old my dad took me to most home games, as a 6 year old kid Ally was one of my first heroes, really sad news today.

My thoughts go out to all his family and friends.

Was before my time and never seen him play.

Just reading about him there.

RIP Ally

Was a supporter of homeless charities and I worked with him around Street Soccer. Calm, positive and a great confidence with young people.

My thoughts are with his family. RIP.

Terrible news. Ally was a regular when I started going to games in the early 80s. Very promising player who was never the same after fracturing his skull pre season one year. Apparently a really nice guy and hugely influencial in setting up Hamilton's youth academy

Thoughts with his family at this time
RIP Ally

Wasn't a lot of success during his time but he give his all.

Thoughts with his family.

Incidentally our Wiki page doesn't have him down as a past club captain

Met Ally and Ian Ferguson (ex Hearts & Dundee United variant) outside Ibrox in September 2019 after humping the sheep 5-0. My youngest was waiting to catch glimpses of the current squad but I clocked the two coming out after probably doing their corporate stunt, I got two cracking pictures with the two of them.
I watched a montage of Alistair lifting some silverware while captaining Rangers, three in particular when he passed the cup to Colin McAdam in one final then, Ian Redford, then in the final one to Sandy Jardine. Yet another trio of players no longer with us.
I remember those finals fondly and of the times during the 80s pre-Souness when we weren’t very good! But enjoyable all the same seeing my team lift the first silverware of the season.
Thanks to them all….

Back