Ally McCoist delights Rangers academy stars as Ibrox legend produces striking masterclass

dh1963

Rangers legend Ally McCoist has delighted young academy prospects after putting on a striking show as they wait to return to training.

With youth players yet to return to action, Rangers have been continuing their webinars where the youngster log on to video calls to do home training.

And they had an exciting one on Tuesday night as the club's record goalscorer joined the chat to explain to them how he become such a top striker.

The former star man and manager is the latest in a list of current and ex-players to help out on the lockdown training sessions with manager Steven Gerrard also appearing.

Frontman Jermain Defoe previously appeared on it as well and the youngsters are getting the opportunity to learn more about the game from those who have achieved their dreams.

Young players have been unable to showcase their abilities at the Auchenhowie training base since early March after the country was put into lockdown.

It means they've already gone four months without proper training and are likely to have to wait another couple of months.

But these sessions with legends of the club and current players will provide them with added incentive to produce the goods when they get back to action.

Would love a swatch at the content. To hear the insight, in Ally's own words. I'm guessing they were sharing some clips and talking them through.

He's a great guy and legend in my eyes. I think he was so unlucky. He got his dream job at a time when all the troubles started and club was financially raped. He was on a hiding to nothing.
Totally agree with first sentence. However he’s never a manager, number 2 yes all day. Though I have nothing but respect for him taking them on the way he did. God knows what they would have done if it wasn’t for him. Good to see him involved in any small way.

Learning from Super and Jermain Defoe.

What else could a young striker ask for?

Would love a swatch at the content. To hear the insight, in Ally's own words. I'm guessing they were sharing some clips and talking them through.
“So.. this goal here, yeah it was another winner against the yahoo’s, see how I take the ball in from wee Durrant and slot it past Bonner, it looks so easy in the clip.... well actually that’s because it was easy!”

Not even at the wind up when I say this, but during pre-match warm ups while he was Walter’s assistant, he’d genuinely stick a lot more shots away than our actual strikers during the shooting practice.
Always mind he came on for a charity match and Andy Gray says in commentary “we’re guaranteed a goal now he’s on” 5 mins later bang goal.

Always mind he came on for a charity match and Andy Gray says in commentary “we’re guaranteed a goal now he’s on” 5 mins later bang goal.

It happened in a few charity games! Gray always said Ally had something you just can’t teach, that instinct of where to be in the box and when to be there. Even when he was well overweight he’d still end up on the scoresheet in these charity games which I thought was a testament to just how natural he is when it comes to goalscoring.

I mean he was probably the most out of shape player on the park during that charity match against Milan and yet he still popped up with a cracking goal like he’d never hung his boots up. But then you don’t get nicknamed ‘super’ without having something special about you.

It happened in a few charity games! Gray always said Ally had something you just can’t teach, that instinct of where to be in the box and when to be there. Even when he was well overweight he’d still end up on the scoresheet in these charity games which I thought was a testament to just how natural he is when it comes to goalscoring.

I mean he was probably the most out of shape player on the park during that charity match against Milan and yet he still popped up with a cracking goal like he’d never hung his boots up. But then you don’t get nicknamed ‘super’ without having something special about you.

You can’t teach that movement from moving towards the full back to end up in front of the centre half.
Levein said he hated marking him as no material how well he played McCoist would lose him at least once a game.

He scored a hat-trick in a game when Nacho was try to earn a contract i fink.

You can’t teach that movement from moving towards the full back to end up in front of the centre half.
Levein said he hated marking him as no material how well he played McCoist would lose him at least once a game.

Exactly. Another one of McCoist’s best qualities was that he could miss a chance and his head wouldn’t go down for a second, he’d be right there ready to stick the next one away. I wish we had that now where it feels like to many of our current side allow themselves to be consumed by their mistakes.

just look at the movement to get on the end of the cross and the header was superb too. 100% class

Back