Ally McCoist the Legend 1983-1998 A remarkable career as a Ranger

10 Premier League Championship Winners Medals

9 Scottish League Cup Medals and a Scottish Cup.

2 Golden Shoes 1991/92 1992/93

European Top Scorer 1987/88

Played 581 Scored 355 goals

Greatest Tim slayer of all time 27 goals in 55 games.

gn20.png
Fcknell, I never knew Ally was on here!

Only kidding. :))
He was a real hero.
Mr Rangers.

Like John Greig before him Ally the player must be judged differently from Ally the Manager.Ally the player like John Greig the player are Top Tier Rangers Legends who both got the managers job at the wrong time
I disagree, Ally got the job at the right time. Off the pitch, saving us from being stripped of trophies and titles.

On the pitch, he just didnt have the know-how and would have failed no matter when given the job

I was there the day he played for Kilnockie at Hampden.
Okay, they were filming 'A Shot at Glory' at the time.
Super was filmed trying overhead kicks into the net and I don't think he managed to score once!

Listen mate. I agree totally with your sentiments, but these two mates of mine are darned good Rangers men. I have many a debate with them and it’s fair to say that as a manager he came up short. But as a player and unofficial ambassador for the club well it’s unequivocal his goalscoring exploits are just Simply The Best….
As I say to them, on how many occasions did you leave a football ground and Ally McCoist did not put a smile on your face…
Coisty was a shite manager. He may have had a decent run if it wasn’t for admin but I think he would’ve hit problems quickly. As a player he was top notch and as a bear it’s clear he loves the club.

One Scottish cup in all that - it’s just odd!

Unbelievable goal scorer.

Spoiled as a kid growing up - just presumed we had conveyor belts of McCoist’s and Laudrup’s. :(

Tell me about it!

I remember my dad telling me not to expect it to be like that forever.

Goal scorer supreme, funny, charismatic, and good looking (in his prime). Sometimes it’s hard not to be a bit jealous.

Also the only guy that actually lives the Roy of the Rovers type dream where you return after a horrific injury to score a match winning overhead kick in a cup final.

I have 2 mates who don’t like him from the shenanigans of the time when he was on garden leave and basically refused to take a wage cut. A fat theif they call him.
Remarkable how they forget what he did for the club for many many years.
I'm sure he did take a cut like many established players did at the time. Whether or not they got it back later is another question.

If I could choose to live somebody else's life then I would choose Ally McCoists. He's done it all.

One of my hero's.

Kind of wish I had this type of person at Rangers growing up, a Roy of the Rovers type who everyone loved.

Top bloke.
Something that people might not readily admit to nowadays but he was universally popular - media, opposition players, opposition fans.. he was an engaging, funny guy who just happened to be a great footballer who banged goals in for his favourite club.

It was a time before the Celtic support in particular found it necessary to find offence in anything related to Rangers.

1992 was probably the height of Super Ally mania with the video out, the Golden Boots and him leading the line in a superb Rangers side.

Like John Greig before him Ally the player must be judged differently from Ally the Manager.Ally the player like John Greig the player are Top Tier Rangers Legends who both got the managers job at the wrong time
I think Ally the manager should be looked more at the fact he kept us alive. He was doing well until admin, and I think in the lower divisions he wasnt the best man to take us up, but he held it all together through the darkest days. I'm good with that..

Goalscoring GOAT. Still sharp as f××k, Sutton trying to wind him up on BT, asking him if he was allowed into the piggery to commentate on the Europa game. Super says he got some gyp from workies on the way in
"Oh aye, see they're lettin you in.."
"And so they should, I'm the second top all time scorer in this stadium!"

I was in my late 20's when McCoist joined. Rangers were struggling at that time under John Greig, not blaming him as the job was there and he couldn't possibly turn it down, there was some amount of desperation in 1983 Greig signing McCoist was ultimately the best bit of business ever by a Scottish manager in the history of the Scottish game, John Greig will still be buzzing to this day at that signing.
The halcyon years of Jock Wallace (and they really were) preceded by Willie Waddell who brought us a European trophy were followed by a less than successful period with the lack of a Title, although cups were won during this period.
I had known of prolific goal scorers at Rangers like Brand and Forrest a little before my time though. Stein was a godsend when he came on the scene in my early years as a fan, Stein was an incredible footballer played the game and scored a lot of goals.

McCoist was something else but.

He really didn't have the best of starts in the jersey, yes he scored his first goal against them in just 33 seconds at the Piggery, a great start, but we lost that game. We craved success.

I'll probably never see a striker like McCoist at Ibrox again in my lifetime, Morelos is wonderful to watch today, he really is, hope he stays for the next 10 years. Roofe too great frontman also Defoe a deadly striker in the McCoist mould, but they guys will get nowhere near Ally. Nobody will sadly.

Anyway I was from my late 20's into my mid 40's watching McCoist the Tim Slayer score goals for fun...the best value for money in any walk of life. Should never be forgotten another Rangers Great, indeed "The Greatest Ever Ranger" John Greig signed him for the club.

Back