Ally McCoist the Legend 1983-1998 A remarkable career as a Ranger

Beer Belly Loyal

10 Premier League Championship Winners Medals

9 Scottish League Cup Medals and a Scottish Cup.

2 Golden Shoes 1991/92 1992/93

European Top Scorer 1987/88

Played 581 Scored 355 goals

Greatest Tim slayer of all time 27 goals in 55 games.

gn20.png

My hero,growing up,older guy in my work used to say if it was lineaker it would be 60 a season the amount of chances he missed,I didn’t care less Ally always turned against the Orcs.

One Scottish cup in all that - it’s just odd!

Unbelievable goal scorer.

Spoiled as a kid growing up - just presumed we had conveyor belts of McCoist’s and Laudrup’s. :(
He played in the losing finals v the scum, Dundee United and Hearts. He missed 93 final due to the broken leg and 96 one again due to an injury he picked up towards the end of the season.

The winning goal he scored for us in the 92 final was a big one for us as it was our 1st one in 11 years.

Even in the final years you knew he was good for a goal. Incredibly intelligent player, great reader of the game. Probably more important than his finishing actually.

Like John Greig before him Ally the player must be judged differently from Ally the Manager.Ally the player like John Greig the player are Top Tier Rangers Legends who both got the managers job at the wrong time
Can't judge Ally at as a manager, at all; there were signs of early promise, but he became more than a mere manager after those first few months. As a player, my abiding memory of Ally, apart from his goals, was the fact that he was always back from injury quicker than was estimated- if he was due to be out for three months, he'd be back in six weeks; if he was due to be out for six weeks, he'd be back in three. Ally has never let the club down whilst away from the club either; that counts just as much as anything else he did when he was here as well.

One of my favourite ever goals was scored by Paul Gascoigne at the piggery.

The pass from Ally McCoist to set up the chance was sensational.

Ally's goal v hibs in the cup final was genius.

Watching games from the past, I appreciate how hard McCoist actually worked to create space for himself.

Will always love Ally McCoist.

The quintessential Rangers No.9. He was put on this earth to score for Rangers. Even every charity game he played, maybe a little more rotund round the waist, he just scored. Put him in our team now, he'd probably still be the top scorer. Yes he was a poor manager, but all his players still speak about him as a man, and that means more.

Wouldn't have win it either.
We could've played for a week and not scored.
A team that was on its collective arse by that time
I'm still bitter about it. That was my first major disappointment as a bear. I remember talking about winning the "double treble" then the "treble treble" the following season.

I agree the team was on its arse. Looking at that line-up it shouldn't have been though. McCoist and Hateley up front in a domestic cup final (with Gordon Durie on the park too)? You'd put your mortgage on it usually.

Can't judge Ally at as a manager, at all; there were signs of early promise, but he became more than a mere manager after those first few months. As a player, my abiding memory of Ally, apart from his goals, was the fact that he was always back from injury quicker than was estimated- if he was due to be out for three months, he'd be back in six weeks; if he was due to be out for six weeks, he'd be back in three. Ally has never let the club down whilst away from the club either; that counts just as much as anything else he did when he was here as well.

Yep. His goal against Hibs in the LC final says it all.

His interview with Si Ferry is excellent.

• Love
Reactions: TQ3
I still want to be Ally. A kick about in the garden with the kids, I still shout, "McCoist!" as I try and score. A player who wrote his own scripts.

I used to style my hair like him, and still do, now that it's thinning and greying on top!

One day, we'll get to know the truth about the boardroom stuff going on while he was manager. I shudder to think what was truly going on while he was in charge. I'll admit that my opinion of him dropped a little during his tenure, such was the malaise surrounding the club, and the misinformation being drip fed. In hindsight, thank god it was someone like Ally who was there to fight for us.

In the media, I love that Ally is visible again on TV as his association with the club always reflects favourably on us. Christ, there's even yahoos that like him!

Not just a goalscorer, an excellent all round footballer who had everything. Ability, desire, technique, strength.
He could take care of himself against the hardest defenders, could lead the line himself and link up play, as well as having the most unbelievable knack of knowing where to be in the penalty area. Scored every type of goal possible.

And, his appearances to goals ratio is vastly skewed by the fact he must have made an awful lot of those appearances from the bench in both his early and later Rangers career, plus he played as a midfielder for a while before being switched permanently up front.

I have 2 mates who don’t like him from the shenanigans of the time when he was on garden leave and basically refused to take a wage cut. A fat theif they call him.
Remarkable how they forget what he did for the club for many many years.
That period brought out some odd reactions from people about McCoist and fan action through Sons of Struth in particular.

How people can pretend to ignore the playing record & career of Ally McCoist is beyond me.
McCoist the manager just wasn’t very good, but it was vital that McCoist the man was in that position when the shit hit the fan in 2012. Few others would have been in there fighting our corner like he did.

Ally McCoist has played for, scored goals for, captained, coached and managed Rangers FC. All of it with a smile on his face that sometimes hides a hard-nosed determination and serious side to himself.

If Andy Goram was in goal that day we wouldn't have lost the game.
Goram has said that in the lead up to the Final, he was injured but was recovering. Walter granted him some time away to go on holiday with his family and try and also get fit. He ended up in Tenerife on the piss and sacked the idea of trying to get fit as he didn't think he'd make it for the final - he ended up missing his flight home and deciding to stay on for a few more days and continue drinking.

Walter went right through him and transfer listed him when he came back.

It's one of those ones where yes we probably would, but he never bothered his arse to even try and get on the pitch and he's admitted that himself.

Goram has said that in the lead up to the Final, he was injured but was recovering. Walter granted him some time away to go on holiday with his family and try and also get fit. He ended up in Tenerife on the piss and sacked the idea of trying to get fit as he didn't think he'd make it for the final - he ended up missing his flight home and deciding to stay on for a few more days and continue drinking.

Walter went right through him and transfer listed him when he came back.

It's one of those ones where yes we probably would, but he never bothered his arse to even try and get on the pitch and he's admitted that himself.
As good of a keeper as Goram was he was a fat mess at times when he was with the club. The 97/98 Nike launch photo makes him look like a middle aged guy who plays fives once a week, not the Rangers Number 1.

Not just a goalscorer, an excellent all round footballer who had everything. Ability, desire, technique, strength.
He could take care of himself against the hardest defenders, could lead the line himself and link up play, as well as having the most unbelievable knack of knowing where to be in the penalty area. Scored every type of goal possible.

And, his appearances to goals ratio is vastly skewed by the fact he must have made an awful lot of those appearances from the bench in both his early and later Rangers career, plus he played as a midfielder for a while before being switched permanently up front.
Agreed. It’s Something that’s often overlooked with Super. He was a terrific footballer, not just a goal scorer, the only thing he didn’t have was a really quick turn of pace. But he also wasn’t overly slow either.

Absolute legend of a player for us. Reading the stats its hard to believe he only had 1 Scottish Cup. Plenty other trophies to make up for it though

Yep. His goal against Hibs in the LC final says it all.

His interview with Si Ferry is excellent.
I was in Eilat Israel visiting my best mate for the final, and we got steaming in one bar, and got the whole bar cheering when Super scored, then I had to hitch back to my place, 2hrs away in the desert.
I was wrecked, hardly able to stand, and as I stood there pointing to the floor, ( that’s how they hitch.) a car drew up, and I said where I was going, and the lady said “we know, I recognised you in your football top.” It was my neighbours 3 doors away. They had been visiting family, and told me the next day that they seen me swaying, and the husband said “is that our Scottish neighbour?” So they stopped. :)):))
Either I was luckier than Super himself, or God is indeed a Rangers man!

I was in Eilat Israel visiting my best mate for the final, and we got steaming in one bar, and got the whole bar cheering when Super scored, then I had to hitch back to my place, 2hrs away in the desert.
I was wrecked, hardly able to stand, and as I stood there pointing to the floor, ( that’s how they hitch.) a car drew up, and I said where I was going, and the lady said “we know, I recognised you in your football top.” It was my neighbours 3 doors away. They had been visiting family, and told me the next day that they seen me swaying, and the husband said “is that our Scottish neighbour?” So they stopped. :)):))
Either I was luckier than Super himself, or God is indeed a Rangers man!
I would say that's pretty damn lucky!

• Haha
Kind of wish I had this type of person at Rangers growing up, a Roy of the Rovers type who everyone loved.

Top bloke.

As a bear of 34 years of age, it's hard to get my head around he was playing for Rangers 4 years before I was born up until I was 11 years old
Same as yourself mate. He signed 3 years before I was born and was still playing for us after id started high school.
Scored a brace on my first trip to Ibrox and remains a hero to me to this day

I would say that's pretty damn lucky!
I have a few lucky tales from living there. Me and my best mate went to visit a viewing post on the other side of the Jordan river, next to where we lived, both hanging and sweating in 38*+ heat, as we make our way we somehow went off track, and as we go further we see the back of a wooden sign stuck in the ground, about 100 yards away, so we head over to see what it says, it read
Warning!
Land mines!
Do Not Cross!

We used the path on the way back.:))
I also went to a Pirate & Prostitute fancy dress party, and was trashed, so I got the only key for the gaff off my mate, and headed home. Only when I get home I have NO key! No idea what happened and desperate to get to bed, I punch the window mesh out and climb in the window, crash out, my mates get back and climb through the window because they can’t wake me. We wake up in the morning and I realise I lost the key, but have no idea where or when, my mates are going nuts at me, so I head out to the place in the desert where we had the party, and just as I get to the gate leading on to the road I spy a shiny silver object, a key. I still didn’t know if it was mine or not but I thought it was worth a try. I get back slide the key in the door and it opened to cries of “ You jammy bassa TQ3!”
:))
Good times.

I have a few lucky tales from living there. Me and my best mate went to visit a viewing post on the other side of the Jordan river, next to where we lived, both hanging and sweating in 38*+ heat, as we make our way we somehow went off track, and as we go further we see the back of a wooden sign stuck in the ground, about 100 yards away, so we head over to see what it says, it read
Warning!
Land mines!
Do Not Cross!

We used the path on the way back.:))
I also went to a Pirate & Prostitute fancy dress party, and was trashed, so I got the only key for the gaff off my mate, and headed home. Only when I get home I have NO key! No idea what happened and desperate to get to bed, I punch the window mesh out and climb in the window, crash out, my mates get back and climb through the window because they can’t wake me. We wake up in the morning and I realise I lost the key, but have no idea where or when, my mates are going nuts at me, so I head out to the place in the desert where we had the party, and just as I get to the gate leading on to the road I spy a shiny silver object, a key. I still didn’t know if it was mine or not but I thought it was worth a try. I get back slide the key in the door and it opened to cries of “ You jammy bassa TQ3!”
:))
Good times.
Now that's just jammy as f*** :))

• Haha
Who else was at his preseason scottish debut at palmerston, how many goals did he score that day , distant memory anyone remember was it 4 ?

An absolute legend.

A was just a boy when he was in his prime bit a was quite surprised he only won one Scottish Cup. Interesting, never realised that much to my shame. Did we not take the cup as serious in the 90s or was it a simple fact that the quality around the league plus European games etc meant it was harder on all fronts.

My second favourite Ger ever behind Laudrup

If you call Ally McCoist "the fat thief" then you're not a Rangers man in my book. Sorry.
Listen mate. I agree totally with your sentiments, but these two mates of mine are darned good Rangers men. I have many a debate with them and it’s fair to say that as a manager he came up short. But as a player and unofficial ambassador for the club well it’s unequivocal his goalscoring exploits are just Simply The Best….
As I say to them, on how many occasions did you leave a football ground and Ally McCoist did not put a smile on your face…

Back