Ally McCoist wants Scotland to ditch VAR.

Wouldn’t that be typical of this country. Rather than work to make something better, lets scrap it.

I bet, by the rule book, it’s considerably got more correct than wrong!!

It would be a ridiculously stupid thing to bin it

VAR is fine. The problem is that can only be as good as the operators. VAR operators must also know the laws of the game. And yes , I know that it’s referees that operate it. Let ours be done from a studio in London. Take our incompetents out of the equation.
Finally.
Someone gets it.

The same incompetents that use to referee games, are now hiding in a studio, and still making the wrong decisions.
Why would VAR make any difference, when you have the same incompetents making the call now?

VAR isn’t going anywhere now it’s actually been introduced, and neither should it.

However it does need improvements, the full fat VAR would be a start rather than VAR light like we have.

Plus the refs using it are pretty shite, rather than the equipment itself.

Added to that it’s not actually what Ally said.

The diddy clubs would ditch VAR in a heartbeat to save money.

Most didn't use it in cup games when they didn't have to.

It’s because we have the cheapest version of VAR they could possibly get away with. That’s why it takes so long as they have limited views / angles and they need to get it right.

Still then most decisions are then called correctly so what is the problem apart from Celtic now getting pulled up for stuff they’d have got away with previously.

Baby and bath water come to mind.

To reiterate what nearly everyone else has said VAR is not the problem. Corrupt/incompetent use of it is the issue.

There's a list in Wikipedia of the countries using it. I won't reproduce it as it is just too long. The rest question is why it can work in all those countries but not in Scotland
What is it that makes us so special?
Scrap it and Scotland will be the equivalent of junior football in a European context

I think VAR has a place in football but they don't use it as it should be used so unless they plan to use it properly then I would bin it.

There's a list in Wikipedia of the countries using it. I won't reproduce it as it is just too long. The rest question is why it can work in all those countries but not in Scotland
What is it that makes us so special?
Scrap it and Scotland will be the equivalent of junior football in a European context
The incompetent arrogance of Scotland has no peer.

Even England's officials, who have implemented it poorly at first and have the odd irregularity here and there, are significantly less arrogant, opinionated and tribal than Scottish officials.

For what it's worth, I agree with McCoist, not a popular opinion I know but VAR is absolutely horrendous, get it so far to feck.

Hate it with a passion.
I’m kinda speechless how any Rangers fan would want to ditch VAR. The following examples I’ve nicked from another post on here.

Off the top of my head, decisions corrected by VAR. Not decisions ignored by refs.

we were correctly given a penalty at St Mirren after Clancy booked Kent for diving.

Celtic had a ridiculous penalty over turned at Dundee Utd wrongly given by Robertson.

St Mirren were eventually awarded a stonewall penalty v celtic after Dickinson looked the other way. In the same game VAR overturned a penalty to celtic for a foull outside the box.

All of a sudden VAR decisions are becoming ridiculous, it’s as if someone wants to go back to giving referees the final decision.

How many penalties have been given against Celtic since VAR was brought in, how many goals have they had ruled out for offside. That is why folk want it binned, not for the right reasons.

The Bheasts “we got cheated at Motherwell” and then you see the dodgy lines at our game - both at Fir Park - and you see why there is claims it is no good.

I agree it’s down to dreadful VAR implementation, poor officials and very few cameras covering the action. Bloody hell ASDA has more cameras!! They are as well searching the Fan’s twitter pages, make a decision from that and then give the guy who’s footage they used £20. Would save the clubs a fortune

Typical SFA - the standard of refereeing is poor so lets put the poor quality refs in charge of the system that meant to help!!

We have Var.1 where as the rest of Europe used Var.5.2.
They have to invest in the best system to get the best results, not some, as @scotty's11 said, etch-a-scetch version.
The fact they used Goldson’s back as the line for the first goal was bizarre also, despite his feet being further forward?
They have the system in place, they just need to upgrade it now to an acceptable level.
On the other hand, if we ditch it none of our refs get International games or European ones, never mind World cups, so they don’t experience better levels of football, so remain at a poor level or regress.
Time to stop the tight arsed attitudes and buy the real VAR!
Nothing wrong with taking it from his back as hypothetically he can score with it.

I do think the offside needs revamped.

I like the fact its at least cutting out some of the cheating( i know theres still way too much), so its far from perfect cos we skint but going back to missing out on clear penalties for us and against them and the tims offside goals given by friendly linesman, is not a option. Its also making the games a bit more exciting which can only be better for fans and tv.

You will probably find the var moaning up here will calm down when Celtic get a soft decision against us.

I’m kinda speechless how any Rangers fan would want to ditch VAR. The following examples I’ve nicked from another post on here.

Off the top of my head, decisions corrected by VAR. Not decisions ignored by refs.

we were correctly given a penalty at St Mirren after Clancy booked Kent for diving.

Celtic had a ridiculous penalty over turned at Dundee Utd wrongly given by Robertson.

St Mirren were eventually awarded a stonewall penalty v celtic after Dickinson looked the other way. In the same game VAR overturned a penalty to celtic for a foull outside the box.

All of a sudden VAR decisions are becoming ridiculous, it’s as if someone wants to go back to giving referees the final decision.

How many penalties have been given against Celtic since VAR was brought in, how many goals have they had ruled out for offside. That is why folk want it binned, not for the right reasons.
Every single week VAR is a huge talking point, it's a shambles.

VAR is being spoken about more than the actual games.

As much as VAR is hurting the beasts they are still getting away with scoring with their hands ie Maeda vs Killie and that mhutant vs St Mirren. And also all of the big decisions at the piggery vs hibs

We were delighted to see VAR brought in because the referees in our game are dreadful. The problem is the same referee's are now presiding over VAR!

Ridiculous, we need to adjust how VAR is being used.
Take rugby as a case in point, when a situation is being reviewed the entire crowd gets to see exactly what the referee sees at the same time.
The bit football hasn’t got right is patching the information and pictures through to everyone.
VAR works brilliantly in rugby it can in football too

Put the most powerful computer in the world in the hands of a fuckwit then it wont be used to its potential, exact same as VAR in this country, its the fuckwits using it that is the problem

Put the most powerful computer in the world in the hands of a fuckwit then it wont be used to its potential, exact same as VAR in this country, its the fuckwits using it that is the problem
Not just this country. Plenty pundits down South have also said they would gladly see the back of VAR.

It's Scottish football. We've been talking, exhaustingly, about referees for decades. Why any Rangers fan would want us to go back to trash like Clancy, Collum, Beaton and McLean being given the final say on every decision on the pitch is bewildering to me.

VAR is worth points to us. It benefits us and does not benefit Celtic.

They don’t want the rules enforced correctly, they want to influence refs unfairly.

Even their game at the weekend was shambolic. Two pens that were never ever pens yet only one gets chopped. And a red card that should never have been - granted that’s nothing to do with VAR but Celtic have absolutely gotten at refs and they’re scared to whistle against them.

VAR gives the refs less of a chance to “miss” things and takes away some of the absolute fear they have of complete meltdown should they give something controversial against them.

Ridiculous, we need to adjust how VAR is being used.
Take rugby as a case in point, when a situation is being reviewed the entire crowd gets to see exactly what the referee sees at the same time.
The bit football hasn’t got right is patching the information and pictures through to everyone.
VAR works brilliantly in rugby it can in football too
it's been used in NFL for as long as i can remember too.

Not just this country. Plenty pundits down South have also said they would gladly see the back of VAR.
Because most of them are dinosaurs who finished playing about 20 years ago.

Look, Bobby Madden moved from Scotland to England and was told in no uncertain terms "you cannot referee in the top flight because you have no experience with VAR.".

If any referee in Scotland harbours any ambition at refereeing at a higher level in England, in European competitions or at International level then they have to use VAR. Additionally, the only way that our referee's get any better is if they have experience in refereeing these fixtures.

Without VAR, Scotland continues it's regression and total decline into complete footballing backwater because even the referee's and linesmen would be looking for ways out of the country.

We all know that the mhob from the east end are behind the suggestion that we do away with var, aided and abetted by the press in this country, and I find it disgusting that some people like McCoist are in that camp also. If we do away with var we as a club and every other Scottish club can write off the next ten seasons and beyond as regards title challenges.

It's Scottish football. We've been talking, exhaustingly, about referees for decades. Why any Rangers fan would want us to go back to trash like Clancy, Collum, Beaton and McLean being given the final say on every decision on the pitch is bewildering to me.
They effectively still have the final decision.

It's a shitshow, would be happy if it was gone tomorrow.

Any refereeing enhancement which reduces Celtic's ability to influence decisions will be opposed. We need to stick with it.

Most of the mess in Scotland is due to the poor quality of the part time referees. VAR just means getting a second TV evidenced opinion. If the guy watching the TV is a poor referee then we get poor VAR decisions.

VAR is worth points to us. It benefits us and does not benefit Celtic.

They don’t want the rules enforced correctly, they want to influence refs unfairly.

Even their game at the weekend was shambolic. Two pens that were never ever pens yet only one gets chopped. And a red card that should never have been - granted that’s nothing to do with VAR but Celtic have absolutely gotten at refs and they’re scared to whistle against them.

VAR gives the refs less of a chance to “miss” things and takes away some of the absolute fear they have of complete meltdown should they give something controversial against them.

This.

VAR has helped us get more justice this season.

Why would any Rangers fan not want it ?

Think part of this hysteria around VAR is just Scottish football media coverage following the same path England did when VAR was first introduced. It's a lot of pantomime from the pundits. Seemed like every weekend for the first season or two of VAR in England was dominated by the same complaints about the new technology, "it's ruining the game," "get rid of it" type stuff etc. Then it gets settled in, everyone's bored of listening to pundits ranting about VAR and we move on (still too much analysis of individual incidents for my looking but whatever).

We're just behind the curve. Throw in Scotland's uniquely tinpot circumstances (football and media establishment stacked in favor of one club, small clubs who do Celtic's bidding, clubs who would rather not spend the money on VAR, poor refereeing standards etc) and it's even more tedious and cynical.

Here we go again.

Why doesnt he mention the tramps putting pressure on officials?
Most probably because he would be replaced.
We all know what’s going on here as the stats show, but he’s in a good position with a platform to say what he really should be saying but I won’t hold my breath.
Still a legend though.

An here is the difference between the Tims (Fully Paid Up) madia puppets and the Rangers men in the media

Sutton, Hartson, Commons (the list goes on) are fully aware of the 'party line' as directed by the mhanks PR team

The agenda is set and the drip drip continues until they get what they want

Our representatives in the media (McCoist, Boyd, McCann) are naive and walk into Tim laid traps right left and centre

Our PR and media manipulation is dreadful

There are numerous examples of their initial decisions being overturned already this season.

Again, any Rangers fan who wishes us to go back to the type of officiating we've seen over the last decade or so is quite simply off their head.
Why do you keep mentioning any Rangers fan, like you know and speak for all Rangers fans?

We do have different opinions, I know countless Rangers fans who think VAR is a shambles.

Why do you keep mentioning any Rangers fan, like you know and speak for all Rangers fans?

We do have different opinions, I know countless Rangers fans who think VAR is a shambles.
Not sure how that is what you've taken from my post. I'm saying (i.e. me personally, my opinion, my belief) that any Rangers fan who wants us to return to the days of brazen cheating from the likes of Clancy and Collum is clearly off their head.

In what way is it a shambles?

That’s not down to VAR not working. It’s because Celtic aren’t getting the decisions they are used to and we are benefitting from decisions that the refs weren’t going to give. There is a reason why Celtic and their supporters are the most vocal about VAR.

VAR isn’t the issue it is the people operating it and the vast majority of pundits, fans and commentators (Toms the worst) who don’t have a clue how VAR actually works.

Apparently the pitch is scanned and everything is calibrated pre-match. The issue isn't VAR, the issue is that Scottish football is so utterly tin-pot that we don't have enough cameras to make it work properly and that human error still comes into play; and there is a lot of human error when Scottish officials are involved.

I'd believe that if we were in a decent league and not this tinpot one. I'm struggling to believe they have the technology to scan a full pitch but don't have enough cameras to make use of it.

Back