Ally v Alfie - whose European goals total is better?

Ally 6 goals in his first 3 years Alfie 21 people are correct its not even close

for what its worth having seen Ally’s full Rangers career I think Alfie is a better striker at 23 than Ally was. The question is can Alfie kick on to be the player McCoist became

Last edited:
Would never had realised that after the goal against Leeds it was another 4 years until Ally scored another Euro goal.

mccoist has scored 21 goals in 56 games in european football and morelos has 25 in 43 games for rangers it's 21 in 37 games

mccoist has goals in the european cup last 16 and quarter finals whilst most of morelos have been in the qualifiers,i think 9 have been in the europa proper

i would say mccoist

Yes, there's more games in Europe now.

I'm sure Ally would've scored more if he was playing in 14-16 games in Europe a season.

Exactly.

And the standard of opposition was also a higher level being often European Cup or CL matches.

I also don’t remember us playing so many qualifiers when Super played?

Ultimately, I’m going to judge the two on winners medals. So, here’s hoping Alfredo surpasses Super’s winners medal total

Spot on.

People forget McCoist scored against genuine world class teams like Kyiv, Red Star and Steaua.

Morelos record is remarkable right enough in the current set up.
He's self deprecating old Super as well. Even the other night on analysis about the lack of running he done etc.

He was far better and clever footballer than people give credit for workrate etc.

Not biased with him being my hero though lol

Don't want to sound like a Rangers Da far from it.

But ultimately in the eyes of many. Medals and goals against mentally challengeds need to be chucked in an argument as well.

The quality of opposition and the tournaments themselves are much changed since a portion of McCoist's time. The break up of the USSR/Eastern Europe let a lot of teams get involved in Euro competition that would never have seen the light of day diluting the overall standard.
In saying all that, McCoist never became a truly good striker until into his late 20's imo

The quality of opposition and the tournaments themselves are much changed since a portion of McCoist's time. The break up of the USSR/Eastern Europe let a lot of teams get involved in Euro competition that would never have seen the light of day diluting the overall standard.
In saying all that, McCoist never became a truly good striker until into his late 20's imo
he played a lot of games in MF in his first few seasons with us.

Ally 6 goals in his first 3 years Alfie 21 people are correct its not even close

for what its worth having seen Ally’s full Rangers career I think Alfie is a better striker at 23 than Ally was. The question is can Alfie kick on to be the player McCoist became
Okay, you make a good point but, who’s you rather have in your team, even against Benfica.

Yes, there's more games in Europe now.

I'm sure Ally would've scored more if he was playing in 14-16 games in Europe a season.

The only reason we're getting 14-16 games in Europe a season is because of the great job our manager, the staff and the players are doing

Morelos played in the team that lost to Progres, he would not be anywhere near the record if it wasn't for Steven Gerrard.

This record is as much a credit to Gerrard as it is to Morelos.

With that said, the question is, who's European record is better. The answer is Morelos no matter what way you look at it.

The question is not, who was the better goalscorer, who was the better player, who would you rather have as we all know the answer then would be different.

I don’t think it’s a competition, both have scored against minnows. While there are more games now, our low seeding has meant not so many games against canon fodder.

Was gonna say Ally because it is CL goals but having seen the opponents I'd say Alfie, might be EL but the teams look a better standard and in less time

And still managed to score 65 goals in his first three seasons with us despite playing in a shit Rangers team.

Also picked up two winners medals then as well including a hat trick in the final against you know who.
and in that final our MF was McCoist, Dave McPherson and Davie Cooper up against Murdo McLeod, Paul McStay and Tommy Burns, we won 3-2 AET, as you said McCoist scoring all 3, a fantastic feat sadly overlooked.

Last edited:
The quality in world football 30 years ago was far greater than today.
Just look at the Scotland team from then to now.
There were players in it who had won european cups.
Goals against red imps FFS
Its Ally , and as a player never went in the huff when dropped nor was sent off very much although kicked up and down the place.

Ally scored against minnows as well so that cannot be used against Alfie.
It’s very hard to compare their records would Alfie score even more playing in some of the teams Ally did?

The quality in world football 30 years ago was far greater than today.
Just look at the Scotland team from then to now.
There were players in it who had won european cups.
Goals against red imps FFS
Its Ally , and as a player never went in the huff when dropped nor was sent off very much although kicked up and down the place.
I don’t think that’s true with regards to quality of football compared to 30 years ago. The advancements in tatics, analytics, and sport science has lead to greater quality football than ever before.

The point about Scottish football I agree with but that’s not because football is worse, it’s because Scotland has fell behind the times and other footballing countries have modernised, leading to better quality players for other countries compared to ours.

It's Morelos for me. I concede McCoist scored in the Champions League but few were against the big hitters.
Morelos has no penalties in his total and has played fewer games.

It's a tough one.

Ally scored against some far better teams than Alfie.

But I'll go for Alfie just for the time scale.

I think they have similar records over theyr first few seasons at Ibrox not sure exact figures but think Mccoists first 3 seasons he was 20, 18 and 24 goals and in his 4th season which we won league he scored over 30.

Now going into Alfies 4th season would be perfect if he scored over 30 and fired us to league title for first time in 9 years as Ally did that year.

and in that final our MF was McCoist, Dave McPherson and Davie Cooper up against Murdo McLeod, Paul McStay and Tommy Burns, we won 3-2 AET, as you said McCoist scoring all 3, a fantastic feat sadly overlooked.
Tremendous. My first and probably still biggest Rangers hero

I can only hope Alfredo scores at least one iconic goal in the same bracket as Ally v Kiev or v Leeds - Elland Rd

Some people clearly just don't recognise names of teams who aren't well known anymore. That team with the long name he scored 4 againt over two legs were the Russian Champions. Another 2 were against the Polish Champions at that time.

From my count, 6 of Alfie's goals were against part timers in Gibraltar, 7 of Ally's were against wee teams, but stronger teams than the Gibraltar side (like Valletta and the Finish side).

Alfie has done really well, but Ally's would have probably scored at least as many playing in the same games.

Last edited:
Obviously Ally, however Morelos record is impressive. You can only score against what you are up against. Look at French huff, how many has he scored over the same period as Alfie, or any other European forward for that matter?

Ally was scoring goals at European Cup level so I would have to give it to Ally. You cannot knock Alfie's achievements though, and who is to say he wouldn't score goals at European Cup level? He may get a chance next season if he is here.

At this point in time I’ll go with McCoist for his goals against Leeds alone. They were pivotal in us going on one of our best ever runs in Europe.

As it stands Alfie’s goals haven’t really bore any fruit. I know last 16 in the EL was a great achievement, but it pales next to CL semi finalists

My assessment could change though if we win the title this season. Then Morelos’ goals in recent years will have allowed us to buy the players that allowed us to complete the journey back after the events of 2012

Some people clearly just don't recognise names of teams who aren't well known anyone. That team with the long name he scored 4 againt over two legs were the Russian Champions. Another 2 were against the Polish Champions at that time.

From my count, 6 of Alfie's goals were against part timers in Gibraltar, 7 of Ally's were against wee teams, but stronger teams that the Gibraltar side (like Valletta and the Finish side).

Alfie has done really well, but Ally's would have probably scored at least as many playing in the same games.

Dynamo Kyiv - Won the ECWC in 1986
Steaua Bucharest - Won the EC in 1986, finalists in 1989
Red Star - Won the EC in 1991

These were genuinely top drawer teams McCoist scored against.

Back