Alves

Penasburritos

Did murty explain why alves didnt start the game?

Captain for a few weeks, gets suspended then on the bench for danny wilson.

Im unsure if alves is enjoying his time here and might possibly be moved on.

Said he explained to him before announcing team that he would be going with same team as week before and he accepted it well, In saying that I don’t see him hanging around to sit on the bench.

Murty said he was going to stick with Wilson and Mcrorie as they'd played well together v Hearts. Said Alves took the news well and was supportive.

Good to hear he was professional about it & i agree that mccrorie should now be learning from alves; could prove vital to his development.

Was surprised that Bruno wasn't back in.
Understand G.M. not wanting to change a winning team tho and he got another Win so he can be happy with his Team Selection.
Regardless who is in charge for the Double Header against Sheep I believe Bruno has to be back in for those 2 matches.
So would expect to see him back in against Dundee and will be Interesting to see who plays against Hamilton.
October was eventful but November is going to Surpass it.

Good mgt, Both CB's needed games and Alves will play during the break so it keeps everyone excited ticking over.

Added bonus of if you play well you stay in the team.

As I stated through the week, murty should have (and did) reward the players that performed admirably at Murrayfield and Alves took his rightful place on the bench.
Another clean sheet and good performance by Danny and Ross.

Fair play to Wilson for his last two performances, but Alves and McCrorie are our best centre halves and they could form a solid partnership. Good to have the likes of Cardoso and Wilson as back up, good options when called upon.

Said he explained to him before announcing team that he would be going with same team as week before and he accepted it well, In saying that I don’t see him hanging around to sit on the bench.
Well i'm sure he knows he'll likely be back in the starting 11 after the international break. Just gives an older player an extra rest while rewarding the pairing that played well the week before

Keep in mind Alves barely had any time off over the summer. He has been playing with the niggling calf injury that kept him out the OF.

A three week break just now will do him the world of good.

Alves has been a disappointment if I'm being honest. We hardly keep a clean sheet with him in the team.

Wilson and McCrorie is working well, and you don't change a winning team. Murty was correct to leave him out.

Alves has been a disappointment if I'm being honest. We hardly keep a clean sheet with him in the team.

Wilson and McCrorie is working well, and you don't change a winning team. Murty was correct to leave him out.

Danny Wilson CANNOT keep Bruno Alves out the starting 11. It would be low level insanity.

We're playing better of late, and Bruno at the back would definitely improve us. I'm looking forward to seeing him alongside McCrorie, who'll learn so much from playing alongside BA.

Amazing that after the shambles of a defence under warburton an argument could be made that it is now our strongest area. Tav, Alves, McCrorie, Cardozo, Wilson, Wallace, John. Would feel comfortable with any of the in there for the majority of the games. Also option to play as a 4 or a 3

Wilson 25 y.o.
Cardoso 23 y.o.
Ross McCrorie 19 y.o.

The three above will have a lot to learn from Bruno Alves and are lucky to have him around (hopefully for the remainder of his contract at least).

We all know what we get/don't get from Danny but he is at an age he can still improve with the right guidance. Cardoso (young, new at the club and to Scottish Football)/MCcrorie (very young) will inevitably have their ups and downs which is to be expected.

Central defence is a notoriously difficult position to play and the pairings will inevitably change from time to time depending on injury/suspension/opposition but there is only one guy that the others are going to learn anything from and that is Bruno (btw there has been some crap written on here about him being shite for us - he is clearly our best defender by a long chalk).

We are in a very good position now in central defence and should thank our lucky stars about that when you think back to Warburton's time where we were woeful in these positions with SDW apparently unable to do a thing about it.

It's obvious to me that Bruno should be straight back in after the break.

Danny Wilson CANNOT keep Bruno Alves out the starting 11. It would be low level insanity.

We're playing better of late, and Bruno at the back would definitely improve us. I'm looking forward to seeing him alongside McCrorie, who'll learn so much from playing alongside BA.

Well he can, and he has. Alves has had the look of a player totally disinterested for a number of weeks now.

Listen to McCrorie's interview about how Danny Wilson helped him through the game and was constantly talking to him etc. Sometimes it is about the partnership rather than the individual.

Alves should be playing but I would be giving McCrorie the place next to him as he should go on to be a first team mainstay.

He also has decent pace which is a massive asset.

In a pretty decent position, especially when you consider how bleak our CB options were last season.

Alves has been solid and getting better by the game and winning every single thing in the air, Cardoso has been pretty good and nowhere near as bad as some like to say and wee McCrorie has been good too. It'll take more than 2 good games to wipe Wilson's past two seasons from my memory.

Well he can, and he has. Alves has had the look of a player totally disinterested for a number of weeks now.

Listen to McCrorie's interview about how Danny Wilson helped him through the game and was constantly talking to him etc. Sometimes it is about the partnership rather than the individual.

Where the hell are you getting this from? Utter made up p!sh.

Where the hell are you getting this from? Utterly made up p!sh.

Made up nothing. My observations, particularly against Motherwell was he didn't want to be there.

For a player of his ability and experience I expected far more from him. You say he is winning everything in the air, yet Motherwell scored from a corner and in the 1st half Jack had to clear off the line from another. Look at his positioning for Moult's second against us.

He just doesn't seem to have settled in the same way Cardoso has.

Do you think Danny Wilson should be keeping Bruno Alves out the first team?

Sammon gave Alves a torrid time previously*, possibly a factor?

*Unbelievable but true.

Alves will hopefully be told to cut out the long ball down the line shite.

9/10 the ball is coming straight back as Morelos is isolated against 4 players

Alves needs to earn his way back into the team. Just like anyone else would. Also, in all honesty, I'm not doubting his pedigree, but he's yet to really shine in a Rangers shirt.

Reactions: dmg
Made up nothing. My observations, particularly against Motherwell was he didn't want to be there.

For a player of his ability and experience I expected far more from him. You say he is winning everything in the air, yet Motherwell scored from a corner and in the 1st half Jack had to clear off the line from another. Look at his positioning for Moult's second against us.

He just doesn't seem to have settled in the same way Cardoso has.

I'm watching the same matches as you and don't know how your eyes are picking up a lack of interest from Alves, we obviously look at different stuff. And to blame him for Moult's second goal is beyond clutching at straws.

Let's agree to disagree.

Logic says Alves

Results say Wilson

Murty called it a good problem and does not seem fazed by what seems like a really big call

Alves needs to earn his way back into the team. Just like anyone else would. Also, in all honesty, I'm not doubting his pedigree, but he's yet to really shine in a Rangers shirt.

Your best players generally don't have to earn their way into the starting 11 after a one game suspension. Different if he had been dropped or injured for a few games, but he's been our best defender this season by a country mile and it would be madness to make him wait for Wilson's bad game which will undoubtedly happen.

Cardoso has played his best when beside Mcrorie IMO. I don't know if it's psychological, in that he feels he has to step up to Alves job ie attacking the ball more, but he certainly became more aggressive in the air.
If we play this right we could end up with a young pairing of Mcrorie and Cardoso as the future of our central defence. That could be something special for years to come.

Your best players generally don't have to earn their way into the starting 11 after a one game suspension. Different if he had been dropped or injured for a few games, but he's been our best defender this season by a country mile and it would be madness to make him wait for Wilson's bad game which will undoubtedly happen.
I dont think Alves has been sufficiently good to be an automatic pick.
Good in a way as it means others have stepped up.

Back