Alves

Your best players generally don't have to earn their way into the starting 11 after a one game suspension. Different if he had been dropped or injured for a few games, but he's been our best defender this season by a country mile and it would be madness to make him wait for Wilson's bad game which will undoubtedly happen.
I don't think he's been our best defender at all - being better than Cardoso is not an outstanding achievement. McCrorie has been better than Alves by a fairly decent distance. In fact, Alves was being thrown about by Connor Sammon. McCrorie came on and sorted him out. A player of Alves' quality being rag dolled by Sammon shows a lack of interest more than anything else.

Sorry, Alves has shown very little to suggest he should just stroll right back into the starting line-up.

I’d dispute the opinion that Wilson and McCrorie played exceptionally well yesterday. Yes there was a clean sheet but I think that was more down to the standard of Thistle’s finishing rather than good defending. There was a least 3 or 4 times Thistle got into the box and got shots away.

I don't think he's been our best defender at all - being better than Cardoso is not an outstanding achievement. McCrorie has been better than Alves by a fairly decent distance. In fact, Alves was being thrown about by Connor Sammon. McCrorie came on and sorted him out. A player of Alves' quality being rag dolled by Sammon shows a lack of interest more than anything else.

Sorry, Alves has shown very little to suggest he should just stroll right back into the starting line-up.

I disagree, he had a slow start but has become more solid as the games have went on and for me has been our strongest defender. I think people were expecting a big dirty båstard which he obviously isn't. McCrorie has been outstanding but not without faults which is obviously going to be the case at his stage.

I also think we should be careful with McCrorie, we shouldn't be putting too much pressure on him too soon.

This "you don't change a winning team" is absolute bollox. You play the best team available and Murty obviously thought Wilson over Alves.

I see absolutely no relevance in playing Danny Wilson unless he is covering injury or suspension.

Young Ross with Alves should be our first choice pairing moving forward. The big man can serve his apprenticeship next to a European champion who has seen it all. Wilson would be my 4th choice centre back. Cardoso coming in only if there is a loss of form.

Sammon gave Alves a torrid time previously*, possibly a factor?

*Unbelievable but true.
He didn't really. He bullied Cardoso to hell but whenever Alves was marking him he wasn't close to the physical presence he was otherwise

Made up nothing. My observations, particularly against Motherwell was he didn't want to be there.

For a player of his ability and experience I expected far more from him. You say he is winning everything in the air, yet Motherwell scored from a corner and in the 1st half Jack had to clear off the line from another. Look at his positioning for Moult's second against us.

He just doesn't seem to have settled in the same way Cardoso has.
Defending corners is more than one mans job. Using that as you'r claim that he doesn't really want to be here is just total nonsense that in your mind gives you an excuse to talk pish.

Alves has been a disappointment if I'm being honest. We hardly keep a clean sheet with him in the team.

Wilson and McCrorie is working well, and you don't change a winning team. Murty was correct to leave him out.

Lay off the Lucozade!

A mistake from Murty. Wilson will let him down against better opposition. Slow and sloppy in possession yesterday.

That is just nonsense about yesterday, why is it we feel the need to try and run down our own players.

Seconds after McCrorie was awarded MOTM he gave the ball away and did so on at least 2 other ocassions putting us in trouble. I think part of the reason for McCrorie's performance was down to the confidence playing with Wilson. Wilson rarely gave the ball away yesterday.

Logic says Alves

Results say Wilson

Murty called it a good problem and does not seem fazed by what seems like a really big call

It is certainly going to be interesting when Cardoso is also fit. Wilson is a quality ball playing centre half when he puts his mind to it. McCrorie looks to have great potential. Bates never done much wrong last season in a poor/struggling team.

Alves has seen and done it all but in weeks before Pedro left looked like he didn't really want to be here. Missing the Celtic game to then go away and be fully involved in training with Portugal would suggest he is looking to keep himself fully fit to get to 100 caps and the World Cup next year.

Hopefully the board make the right decision and show some ambition to get the best out of the players we have.

That is just nonsense about yesterday, why is it we feel the need to try and run down our own players.

Seconds after McCrorie was awarded MOTM he gave the ball away and did so on at least 2 other ocassions putting us in trouble. I think part of the reason for McCrorie's performance was down to the confidence playing with Wilson. Wilson rarely gave the ball away yesterday.
Entitled to your opinion,his most accurate passes were either back to the keeper or side ways.
We need better imo.

Even yesterday Wilson played relatively well, but he still does mad shit that would be punished by better teams

There was an instance after the second half kick off he came and tried to win a ball but was taken out of the game completely. His anticipation for it was honestly laughably bad

I am totally against the above comment, Murty should get the job, I believe he would a great choice. He has led us quite well so far, he would cost us very little in comparison. Knows the game and Rangers mindset , has been in the system for some time. Besides he is the best looking candidate so far, [my wife's contribution.] Sorry no visuals.

Personally I don’t see what anyone is seeing in Alves, a 6/10 I don’t see any great progress in cardoso from playing beside him, if and it’s a big if Wilson maintains his form then this is our best partnership.

The real plus is it’s mccrorie and one other.

Entitled to your opinion,his most accurate passes were either back to the keeper or side ways.
We need better imo.
Of course, unlike Bruno, eh? The wank fest for Alves on here is ridiculous. Everyone was excited about him joining but so far he hasn't put one decent tackle in that I can remember, and likes to pass the ball back to the keeper, or behind his teammate. I have a feeling Bruno came over expecting to stroll it in Scotland and was caught unawares by the physicality. The only shining Pedro signings in my opinion have been Candeias and Morelos.

I thought Murty called it right with Wilson and MaCrorie. They played very well against Hearts and deserved to keep their places. Thought they played well again against Partick- should play in the next match for me, unless we require a chance of tactics.

Alves has played ok so far, but not outstanding-same goes for Cordoso.

amazing how many on this thread think Wilson should stay in. I don't think Alves has been good as expected, and there is a strong argument for McCrorie ahead of Cardoso, but are people forgetting a sustained run of absolute dung by Wilson?
Rob Kiernan looked the better player, and when you look worse than him, you're lacking in quality.

Fine saying he's had a couple of good games - against a shite hearts and a worse thistle - do we keep playing him until he costs us a goal or 2 against the sheep?

I hate the deference to Alves.

Yes, he has pedigree but he was signed from Cagliari not Real Madrid.

I don't like the impression that some give that we should be somehow grateful for him playing for us and fearful of him not being happy.
I’ve always thought his rep was over hyped as a squad player for Portugal. His club record gives a true reflection of his quality.

He’s a good centre half. More than good. But he is a million miles away from being the all conquering world beater some have him pegged as.

He has played well for us. Not much more or less than that.

I’m glad he is here as he has great experience that will help our younger players.

This is a no brainier. Alves and McCrorie are easily our best two centre backs and should playing together as soon and as often as possible. Cardoso should be our spare centre back. Wilson was good at 16 and had gone backwards ever since. He is very slow, doesn’t see danger early enough and thinks he’s Frank Beckenbauer. He is languid, slows the game up and has a poor long pass completion rate.

Alves has been an average player for Rangers since he has arrived.

Wilson & McCrorie the way ahead

On sportscene when discussing leaving BA out they highlighted RM as if he was the one keeping him out. No mention of DW. I would have thought it should be a BA/RM partnership

Of course, unlike Bruno, eh? The wank fest for Alves on here is ridiculous. Everyone was excited about him joining but so far he hasn't put one decent tackle in that I can remember, and likes to pass the ball back to the keeper, or behind his teammate. I have a feeling Bruno came over expecting to stroll it in Scotland and was caught unawares by the physicality. The only shining Pedro signings in my opinion have been Candeias and Morelos.
If Wilson is your choice thats fine. Not for me.

If Wilson is your choice thats fine. Not for me.
I didn’t say he was my first choice mate. This whole thing started because the FF drama queens were going ballistic at Murty’s decision to play Wilson instead of Alves. We won 3-0. Kept a clean sheet. I’d say he made the right decision. Whether he keeps him out the team is a different matter, and like I said. I don’t think Bruno has lived up to the hype unfortunately.

This thread is brilliant.
We're arguing over 4 CBs who could be starting the next game and each of them have a positive case to be in the team.
What a change to the last two seasons.

What I really like about Murty and the decision to play Wilson is that Alves would be fighting with him and not Mcrorie for the spot. This shows that he trusts Ross to do what is required whilst improving. Great news for us.

Clean sheet = Correct decision by Murty, also gives the right message to Wilson and the rest of the squad, if you play well, you will retain your place.
Will Alves be in the Team for the Sheep - Most definitely.
Also feel much more comfortable reading this thread and the so called problem of who are the best centre half combination out the 4, rather than last years nightmares who plays with Kiernan ...shivers at the thought!

Alves has been average since we signed him. For him to be benched ahead of Danny Wilson, still though, is one of the weirdest decisions I have seen in fitba. If MW or PC had done this they'd have been back page 'Caixinha drops Alves'

Murty said he was going to stick with Wilson and Mcrorie as they'd played well together v Hearts. Said Alves took the news well and was supportive.
There's nothing wrong with the old adage of " never change a winning team"

I don't understand why anyone thinks Alves hasn't been good for us?
What do they expect from him?
Clean sheets on every occasion with him scoring the winner at the other end?

The centre of defence has been hugely improved this season.
If we have any defensive frailty it is down the flanks, but considering how we play, this isn't that surprising.
However, defensively the central midfielders should do more to protect the flanks if we expect our fullbacks to be so far up the field.
Too often we are looking at the wrong area to blame.

As for young McCrorie, I would like to see him given a stint in the middle of the park, where I think he would add some height and presence.
Our central defensive pairing of Cardosa and Alves is still probably our best, although in young McCrorie and Wilson we have real competition in there.
For me, this is how Rangers should be.

How we find a way to argue over having a good dilemma for a change is beyond me.

Last year we had Kiernan and Senderos. I can honestly say based on current form none of our 4 Cb's give me the fear this season and thats a pretty decent place to be.

Doesn't look like the happiest camper though.
Anybody left out the starting 11 shouldn’t be happy to sit on the bench. That’s the problem with some of our failures from last season Forrester, Dodoo, MOH happy to sit on the bench and collect a wage contributing nothing.

Fans always base players on there last few games. Wilson has turned into a great centre half because he’s played well 2 games people forget just how bad he was last season. Bruno Alves on the other hand has turned into “poor” according to some people which simply isn’t true. He’s made a big difference to our defence compared to last seasons Kieran/Wilson/Hill/Bates partnerships.

I think it was clever.

Wilson and McCrorie were solid enough against Hearts, so I would consider them good enough to keep Thistle out - which they did.

What it does do is send a message to the team that no-one will be picked on reputation. If you are not selected, you better knuckle down and show enough to warrant getting back in.

what is this based on? reputation? because you simply cannot be basing this on form.

Basing this on that he is the best defender we have at the club. If you are basing anything on form (last two games excluded since Pedro has gone) then the majority of the team should be left out and the under 20's put on the pitch.

Basing this on that he is the best defender we have at the club. If you are basing anything on form (last two games excluded since Pedro has gone) then the majority of the team should be left out and the under 20's put on the pitch.

He has not been anywhere near our best defender this year based on his performances.

Back