Am i being nit picky but come on?

:D

Tonight was perhaps the most one-sided posession i've ever seen.

I genuinely think it might have slipped into the low 90% for Rangers.

Something written about how OPTA measures possession: https://trendster.ie/sport/the-confusing-world-of-the-possession-stat/

Opta, perhaps one of the biggest football analytic companies, calculated possession simply by using passes until 2017. The method had many flaws such as not accounting for who is in possession of the ball when it was in the air and resulted in them changing their approach.

In 2017 Opta created a new “framework” called a possession. This method counts how many possessions a team has in an entire game and dividing it by the total per game.

Opta defines a possession as starting when a player takes a controlled touch, this does not include headers or tackles and ending when a player no longer has or tries to have control of the ball. This includes interceptions, shots crosses into areas and set pieces.

With that definition with it simply dividing the number of "possessions" in a game, it would mean that if we have the ball for 90 seconds making 20 passes and they win the ball take a touch pass it to some one who loses the ball to us 5 seconds later, it would by 50/50 in terms of possession because we have both had 1 posession in that 95 second spell.

Something written about how OPTA measures possession: https://trendster.ie/sport/the-confusing-world-of-the-possession-stat/

Opta, perhaps one of the biggest football analytic companies, calculated possession simply by using passes until 2017. The method had many flaws such as not accounting for who is in possession of the ball when it was in the air and resulted in them changing their approach.

In 2017 Opta created a new “framework” called a possession. This method counts how many possessions a team has in an entire game and dividing it by the total per game.

Opta defines a possession as starting when a player takes a controlled touch, this does not include headers or tackles and ending when a player no longer has or tries to have control of the ball. This includes interceptions, shots crosses into areas and set pieces.

With that definition with it simply dividing the number of "possessions" in a game, it would mean that if we have the ball for 90 seconds making 20 passes and they win the ball take a touch pass it to some one who loses the ball to us 5 seconds later, it would by 50/50 in terms of possession because we have both had 1 posession in that 95 second spell.
My reading of that is that each individual player while in control of the ball is a single 'possession' for his team and not the entire teams move as you are suggesting. That article also states that there can be up to 5% difference due to different methods being used which doesn't stack up. The 'mistakes' with Rangers stats over the past year or so are way outside that threshold. This game is out by 30% at least. Probably nearer 40. It's just plain wrong just as many other games stats involving us jave been.

Last edited:
Back