Amazing old photos of Ibrox Stadium, Albion Stadium & White City Stadium

Beer Belly Loyal

This series of photographs taken from the air in 1938 were focused on the construction of the Empire Exhibition in Bellahouston Park. Further away on the edges of the shots can be seen these three grounds.

I've blown up and cropped them for a more clearer view for you (hopefully).

gn299.png

gn300.png

gn301.png

gn302.png

The next batch of photographs are taken a decade earlier.

These ones clearly show the Archibald Leitch Stand under construction...:)

gn303.png

gn304.png

gn305.png

It's the greatest thing that I have ever seen ;)

Great photos and thanks for sharing.
When I look at photos of the old Ibrox I think of all those great players that graced the field, I think of all the son's and their dad's at the matches making great memories and I think of a Rangers that ruled football.
We will rule again
We are the people

Great photos , thanks for posting. Until I googled just now I hadn't known about the Albion and White City Stadiums, both greyhound tracks and both opened the year of your older photos, 1928.
I remember going to Ibrox one friday night in the late sixties to buy tickets for a match.
Decided to take in the Speedway at the White City. Being unfamiliar with watching Speedway, I thought I would stand on the empty terracing on the bend to get a bette view of the action. Spitting out cinders all weekend!

There was a program on recently that included the empire exhibition and like the photos you could just see Ibrox in the background of some of the moving shots.

Great stuff, thanks for posting.

The old board had a picture with five grounds in it.
Ibrox,the Albion,White City,Ben's,Ants,anybody still got it?

Memories of getting the train with my father from Central Station to Ibrox, you can see the railaway the back of the Albion, it meandered down to the docks, you can still see the remains of the old brick bridge up from the Louden, on Copland Road.

I used to go to speedway racing in 1964 in White City on Friday night. My sweetheart used to pay me in, as I paid for the pictures, snogging away and trying to feel her tits. Always knocked back as that was only allowed in her bedroom.

This series of photographs taken from the air in 1938 were focused on the construction of the Empire Exhibition in Bellahouston Park. Further away on the edges of the shots can be seen these three grounds.

gn299.png

gn300.png

gn301.png

gn302.png

gn303.png

gn304.png

gn305.png

That's most excellent, what an amazing history we have. Thanks for posting.

Great photos as above my great Granny Mcaulay lived on the Broomloan road

My Da was a Govanite and always spoke of great footballing brothers George and Noddy McCaulay way back in the 40's and 50's when he played with Tradeston Holmlea.

Last edited:
Great photos as above my great Granny Mcaulay lived on the Broomloan road

Do you recognise this poem about Govan?

Where is the Govan I once called home.
The grimy old Govan that I used to roam.
Where are the streets I roamed on my bike.
And the dirty wee weans that all looked alike.

Where is the Plaza, the Elder, the Vogue.
Where we cheered the hero and booed the rogue.
And where are the bookies and all of their mugs.
Who lost on the horses and then on the dugs.

Where are the middens, the dunnie, the pen.
The gaslit closes we winched in back then.
And where are the lassies, Good god above.
Where are the ones that I used to love.

Oh where are the shipyards all along Govan road.
Worked in by craftsmen and man how it showed.
For their work was stamped "Built on the clyde".
And they launched each ship with justified pride.

Aye, where are the friends of my long ago past.
Whose friendship was meant to last and last.
Oh, they are all here still we are never apart,
For they are with me forever, here in my heart

Brilliant photos.

My Granny stayed in 335 Broomloan road for years right across from the old Ibrox House boozer.:eek:

The Old Ibrox House was fine, it was Madison's upstairs that was "colourful". I'm pretty sure Tommy Coyne was brought up near your Grannies.

Ha! An old thread from last year. :)

Here's another pic. This one you can see the old Ibrox train station. The line runs from behind Ibrox Park and round to between the Albion Greyhound Racecourse and the White City Stadium.
bK0AZGn.png

Here's a closer look.

GqPr69e.png

This station must have been very busy back in the day serving 3 sports grounds.

More on that railway line that ran behind Ibrox.

Younger fans may not realise when walking towards the rear of the SJ Stand there's a tunnel underfoot.
This was recently filled in...
gXV4tYK.png

MWLBXhF.png
5OMlkGY.png

Doubt the line will ever be opened again.:(

Younger fans may not realise when walking towards the rear of the SJ Stand there's a tunnel underfoot.
gXV4tYK.png

MWLBXhF.png
5OMlkGY.png

That’s right behind the old scaffolding yard , SGB. My dad worked there in the 60’s and 70’s.

gXV4tYK.png

MWLBXhF.png
5OMlkGY.png

Perhaps a silly question, but did the line run just behind where the billboards at the back of the Govan are? Also was the bridge just the width of the road or was it more of a tunnel?

gn299.png

gn300.png

gn301.png

gn302.png

gn303.png

gn304.png

gn305.png

Fantastic historical pics. Any idea were they were taken from. A plane maybe?

Great photos , thanks for posting. Until I googled just now I hadn't known about the Albion and White City Stadiums, both greyhound tracks and both opened the year of your older photos, 1928.
I never knew that either but not surprising.

The 'joogles' was a very popular pastime back then.

Perhaps a silly question, but did the line run just behind where the billboards at the back of the Govan are? Also was the bridge just the width of the road or was it more of a tunnel?

If I remember correctly the railway line ran in front of these billboards where the parking spaces are now, and sure it was a shortish tunnel but a bit longer than the road width.

Back