Amoruso or Boughera or Weir?

Watch Bougherra’s performance away at Old Trafford in 2010. He was phenomenal that day against a team that went all the way to the final that year. I’ll get criticism for this but in my opinion it was better than any Cuellar performance in Europe. Bougie was literally strolling the ball out of defence and setting up counter-attacks against one of the best teams in Europe at the time.

Amoruso, Weir then Boughera, Amoruso was the best all round player, Weir the better leader and I feel Weir brought ther best out of Boughera

Amo
Boogie
Weir

Amo because when he took the opposition seriously there were few better centre halfs anywhere.

Boogie because of his sheer strength and general ability. He was another one who when he decided that he really wanted it could play at the top level.

Weir, did us a great turn and was a highly dependable defender, but imo not as good as the other two.

Amo
Boogie
Weir

Amo because when he took the opposition seriously there were few better centre halfs anywhere.

Boogie because of his sheer strength and general ability. He was another one who when he decided that he really wanted it could play at the top level.

Weir, did us a great turn and was a highly dependable defender, but imo not as good as the other two.

I would agree with the post above. Hopefully we will get some quality defenders like them again in the not too distant future. I'd love either Amo or Boogie in the team at the moment. Play either with Helander staying at the back whilst they go off on their runs...

Everyone putting Amo top of the list, I can only assume you were too young to remember his blunders. I’m not talking about 2 or 3 blunders here.
His nickname of Bomb-scare was well deserved.
Consistency in central defence is everything.
I genuinely don’t remember Weir having anywhere near the same %^*& ups that Amo had.
1. Weir
2. Bougherra
3. Amo

Everyone putting Amo top of the list, I can only assume you were too young to remember his blunders. I’m not talking about 2 or 3 blunders here.
His nickname of Bomb-scare was well deserved.
Consistency in central defence is everything.
I genuinely don’t remember Weir having anywhere near the same %^*& ups that Amo had.
1. Weir
2. Bougherra
3. Amo
He didn’t make as many mistakes as you suggest, and I don’t remember him being nicknamed “bombscare”, that was Konterman, the few mistakes he did make were usually costly, but they were few and far between.

Amoruso after King Richard is probably the best Central Defender I have seen in my time supporting Rangers.

Weir was okay for Scottish football for us, but got exposed in Europe unless we were playing backs to the wall stuff like we did on the road to Manchester.

Bougherra was better for us than many of us probably thought he would be, decent levels of performance week in week out and comfortable with the ball at his feet.

I'm allowed an opinion "Ffs".
Personally I think Bougherra was a quicker player, better passer of the ball, more threat, and solid enough defensively to qualify as a better individual player than Weir.
But Weir was a better reader of the game, and he made those around him play better. That made him a better leader, a bigger influence and more important overall.

By that logic you could say your tricky pal at 5s is a better player than Weir.

As individual players

Amoruso
Bougherra
Weir

As influence on the team

Weir
Amoruso
Bougherra

c8iXg4q.gif

The thing about big Amo and his moments was that you had the ridiculous and the sublime and you never knew which you were going to get. Made for an interesting game. Got to say I missed that when he left.

I cannot stand defenders who aren't, at least to a decent degree, reliable for starters.

Amo scores down massively for that in a similar way to Tav does now. For all the good points...

Amo
Weir
Bougherra

Amo was the best all round player out of them
Weir a good defender and leader but slow
Bougherra not at the same level as the other two
Amoruso is the winner here, no doubt about it.
It’s a toss up between the other two.
Other than Gough, Brown and McLaren, Amoruso was the best backs to the wall defender we’ve had in my time.
Weir and Cuellar brilliant here as well
We never really had such a player in my early years.
The other two had different qualities, both perfect for different situations.
I’m going to opt for Bougherra as he was the better footballer.
Given that most of our play is on the front foot, he wins.

Amoruso was the best of the 3
Bougherra i was bit disappointed with the signing but he proved me wrong and was a good servant!
Weir like many have said was a great leader & good defender but always worried his lack of pace would get us punished

I can see reasons for both Amo and Weir. Both outstanding players with very few flaws. Boogie is on the same level as Cuellar to me. I think that would be a better debate.

Think Amo deserves a lot of credit for refusing to buckle. Made a few costly mistakes but seemed to be able to put it behind him and became a huge player for us

Back