Amoruso or Boughera or Weir?

Weir
Amoruso
Bougherra

Close call between Weir & Amoruso - went with Weir for his defensive and leadership qualities. Those 2 would have made a decent partnership.

As who you’d rather have in you’re team right now at the stages we had them.

Amo
Boogie
Weir

Amo - the best player out the three but, for a time, with the misfortune that any mistakes he made seemed to lead to a goal for the opposition.
Weir - probably the best in terms of positional sense and, unlike Amo, had the good fortune that any mistakes he made he either got back and recovered the situation or one of his team mates bailed him out. Either that or the striker blazed it over the bar whereas with Amo they lashed it into the top corner.
Bougherra - Sorry but not convinced he was anywhere near the class of the other two mentioned.

Weir - Consistently reliable and excellent reading of the game made up for lack of pace due to his age
Amo - Great defender and would be first choice if it were not for his moments
Bougherra - Quality defender and very useful offensively from set pieces or open play

Bougherra better individually than Weir? FFS.

I'm allowed an opinion "Ffs".
Personally I think Bougherra was a quicker player, better passer of the ball, more threat, and solid enough defensively to qualify as a better individual player than Weir.
But Weir was a better reader of the game, and he made those around him play better. That made him a better leader, a bigger influence and more important overall.

It's a difficult choice to make as they were all great CH's for us and had different specialities.
For example if you asked who was the best leader of the defence it would have to be Davie Weir.
If you asked who was the coolest on the ball it would be Boogie.
If you asked who was just a big brick shithouse that was almost impossible to get past it would be Amo.
Is it possible to pick all three?
:))

The thing about big Amo and his moments was that you had the ridiculous and the sublime and you never knew which you were going to get. Made for an interesting game. Got to say I missed that when he left.

Used to love watching Amo try to play out of defense.
Most guys would just punt it up the park but this lunatic is looking for 1-2's with the midfield!

Those 3 centre backs in a 3-5-2 or a 5-4-1 would be unbelievable.

Can’t pick - tho will say Weir has ruined it for me because now I don’t think of him as fondly.

Weir when we had him, talent wise, wasn’t even in the same league as the other two. He was good and very consistent but lacked top traits the other two had. History is being kind to him, chronically slow and not a ball player, just an old school defender. Unpopular opinion, maybe.

I'm allowed an opinion "Ffs".
Personally I think Bougherra was a quicker player, better passer of the ball, more threat, and solid enough defensively to qualify as a better individual player than Weir.
But Weir was a better reader of the game, and he made those around him play better. That made him a better leader, a bigger influence and more important overall.

I agree with you.

Weir was a great player and had amazing positional sense, Cuellar was a rock at the back also. Amo was similar to Boogie except he made a lot more mistakes when under no pressure.

However Bougherra had so many attributes on top of that and to me he was a better player.

to me he is the best CH I have seen play for Rangers.

Amo for me

Yes he did make a couple of high profile howlers, but on the whole he was an outstanding ball playing centre back.

Got to be Lorenzo Amoruso for no 1.
Favourite memory, the 6-1 title win. It's the first half and he's in the box, cross comes at him, it's going out for a goal kick but he just manages to keep it out, chases it, just manages to keep it in at the enclosure side and whips in a cross for Arveladze to net the third. Different class. Scores on his last game in the cup final against Dundee as well, tears everywhere.

Would agree that Bougherra possibly underrated in the support, can only remember him being consistently excellent. It should be a more noted point, that he was THAT good, we pretty much forgot about Carlos Cuellar! However, I'm sure I'm not the only one who would've loved to seen Boogie and Carlos play together for Rangers. And the old "anti-football" shite Walter had levelled at him, how many teams could claim to have a cavalier, marauding centre half??

Davie Weir, for my money, made the careers of Carlos Cuellar, Madjid Bougherra and Danny Wilson. His knowledge and experience allowed these younger partners to relax and thrive. Not as good as the other two, but certainly just as important.

Got to be Lorenzo Amoruso for no 1.
Favourite memory, the 6-1 title win. It's the first half and he's in the box, cross comes at him, it's going out for a goal kick but he just manages to keep it out, chases it, just manages to keep it in at the enclosure side and whips in a cross for Arveladze to net the third. Different class. Scores on his last game in the cup final against Dundee as well, tears everywhere.

Would agree that Bougherra possibly underrated in the support, can only remember him being consistently excellent. It should be a more noted point, that he was THAT good, we pretty much forgot about Carlos Cuellar! However, I'm sure I'm not the only one who would've loved to seen Boogie and Carlos play together for Rangers. And the old "anti-football" shite Walter had levelled at him, how many teams could claim to have a cavalier, marauding centre half??

Davie Weir, for my money, made the careers of Carlos Cuellar, Madjid Bougherra and Danny Wilson. His knowledge and experience allowed these younger partners to relax and thrive. Not as good as the other two, but certainly just as important.
Agree about Davie Weir. These other guys didn’t look as good without Weir next to them.
personally I think Amo was the best.

As individual players

Amoruso
Bougherra
Weir

As influence on the team

Weir
Amoruso
Bougherra

You've created a monster with these comparison threads mate. :))

Pity you didn't copyright them. ;)

Boogie,
Weir,
Amo,

My reasoning is how many mistakes can you think of that Weir and Boogie made compared to Amo.

Then when you compare who is the best footballer as well as being strong and aggressive then Boogie beats Weir. For me Boogie is our best CH since Gough.

Amo because he proved it against the scums best player for years Larson when the bick man was on form he had Larson in his back pocket
Amo
Weir
Bougherra

Back