An apology to Alfredo

Earl of Leven

Official Ticketer
Dear Alfie
Once upon a time Scotland was actually alright. Thanks to the Reformation we had a school in every parish. This led to a small place taking a big part in the Enlightenment. Then? The Liberal Arts degree: the man o pairts. Empire sealed the deal...we travelled, we discovered, we settled. We had influence from Canada to Vanuatu.

But now it's a small, dark place blighted by many issues. From collapse of heavy industry to collapse of the education system, end of Empire to huge reliance on the state. And worst of all we have 19th Century Terrorists and Nationalists. This unholy alliance is making me feel a stranger here, God knows what it must be like for you. Young, black, gifted, and yet at the eye of the hurricane. Your crime? You play for us. We are despised by the people who talk, talk, talk. The ludicrous chattering classes : unfunny comedians, shit writers, tuneless musicians, failures, small minded bigots, opinion formers as they're known. They feel that their destiny of leading us all to ruination in Brigadoon is being thwarted only by us. Our club and its evil tentacles...ruining everything.

I can't excuse the racism, hostility, and actual abuse but I hope you know that it's not always like this, and wasn't always like this. I know you will be a star. I also hope you always remember us. But shamefully I can't see you rushing back here too often...its not been a welcome. And for that I'm sorry. It shames us all...
Cheers

Do actually think
Dear Alfie
Once upon a time Scotland was actually alright. Thanks to the Reformation we had a school in every parish. This led to a small place taking a big part in the Enlightenment. Then? The Liberal Arts degree: the man o pairts. Empire sealed the deal...we travelled, we discovered, we settled. We had influence from Canada to Vanuatu.

But now it's a small, dark place blighted by many issues. From collapse of heavy industry to collapse of the education system, end of Empire to huge reliance on the state. And worst of all we have 19th Century Terrorists and Nationalists. This unholy alliance is making me feel a stranger here, God knows what it must be like for you. Young, black, gifted, and yet at the eye of the hurricane. Your crime? You play for us. We are despised by the people who talk, talk, talk. The ludicrous chattering classes : unfunny comedians, shit writers, tuneless musicians, failures, small minded bigots, opinion formers as they're known. They feel that their destiny of leading us all to ruination in Brigadoon is being thwarted only by us. Our club and its evil tentacles...ruining everything.

I can't excuse the racism, hostility, and actual abuse but I hope you know that it's not always like this, and wasn't always like this. I know you will be a star. I also hope you always remember us. But shamefully I can't see you rushing back here too often...its not been a welcome. And for that I'm sorry. It shames us all...
Cheers
Do you think Alfredo gives a flying feck what they write about him ?

if he does read it which I doubt he does, hopefully it makes him even more determined to win us the league and cup double

Europa League treble probably a bit too greedy ;)

Dear Alfie

Cheers

Honestly we need to stop saying abuse of players, throwing missiles on pitch, racist abuse of players is a SCOTTISH football problem.

Epl have a huge racism problem, regularly missiles thrown at players it's no different, probably worse certainly with racism.

But while they try to sweep it under the rug we seem intent on highlighting it.

Reactions: GF7
Dear Alfie

Cheers

Did the Chief of Police Scotland dictate that?

ThickDisastrousAdouri-small.gif

Honestly we need to stop saying abuse of players, throwing missiles on pitch, racist abuse of players is a SCOTTISH football problem.

Epl have a huge racism problem, regularly missiles thrown at players it's no different, probably worse certainly with racism.

Sorry davhow but I cant understand your post not being flippant !how are WE highlighting it ,do you mean us rangers fans?or am I getting that your saying our media, sfa SPL are highlighting the problem?this isn't about the EPL or anywhere! else this us about wee black Colombian catholic who plays his heart out for that blue Jersey and HE is facing racial abuse from every corner of this little bastardised nationalist backward nation my apologies if I've mis -read your post mate !

Sorry davhow but I cant understand your post not being flippant !how are WE highlighting it ,do you mean us rangers fans?or am I getting that your saying our media, sfa SPL are highlighting the problem?this isn't about the EPL or anywhere! else this us about wee black Colombian catholic who plays his heart out for that blue Jersey and HE is facing racial abuse from every corner of this little bastardised nationalist backward nation my apologies if I've mis -read your post mate !

For a start, he's not black. It's a bit embarrassing crying xenophobia and racism yet the majority of fans can't get his race correct.

We as Scottish football fans, pundits, etc. Rangers fans included.

That said I think you have misunderstood, the treatment of our player from the media is a disgrace. Other fans I don't care about they only hate him because of the joy he brings us. I'm just pointing out everytime there is an incident as above its made out by EVERYONE to be a Scottish problem yet in England they are now stopping games to play recorded messages reminding fans not to be racist!

What annoys me with Alfie its almost like we are putting ideas in his head about how bad things are here for him when he seems to be loving it.

Eh?
It’s a fucking Scottish football problem because we live in Scotland and it’s happening in Scotland.

You’ll never see rug covered racism anywhere near the scale that we have witnessed on Alfie since he arrived
on these shores. Hatred that has been ramped up in the two weeks since we horsed the beasts.

“We highlight it” Don’t make me laugh.

Our media and our association currently have no equal when it comes to the concealing of racism.
Except when it’s “Anti-Irish” of course.

I like the sentiment of the OP.

However, Alfie you were following orders too much. You could just have poked the ball into the net but were fixated on the corner flag and exhausted after running the length of the pitch after 96 minutes!

Don't fall down when Clancy is referee. Brown did and got you booked because he's a talentless cheat just like the ref.

Maybe, just maybe Earl has had enough of the absolute vitriol aimed at someone for no other reason than he plays for the famous Glasgow Rangers and thinks that a country that was once world famous for its education amongst many, many other things should hang its head in shame. Its certainly not the country I left behind it would appear, I hate what devolution and the snp who have come to the fore due to it have done to it.

Definitely don't get the scorn heaped on a man for holding the view he has above but heh what do I know, we're a broad church. Each to their own.

For a start, he's not black. It's a bit embarrassing crying xenophobia and racism yet the majority of fans can't get his race correct.

That said I think you have misunderstood, the treatment of our player from the media is a disgrace. Other fans I don't care about they only hate him because of the joy he brings us. I'm just pointing out everytime there is an incident as above its made out by EVERYONE to be a Scottish problem yet in England they are now stopping games to play recorded messages reminding fans not to be racist!

What annoys me with Alfie its almost like we are putting ideas in his head about how bad things are here for him when he seems to be loving it.
I thought my judgement on race was quite good,so I dont no what colour or race you would call alfie, having a few good colombian friends who work in Spain,I would still call him black,for myself I couldn't care if he was off white or red indian and hats off to you I'd misunderstand your post,but certainly disagree with your point that everyone thinks it's a SCOTTISH problem,sorry dav but I dont read any papers in Scotland or listen to our wonderful BBC Scotland,as for putting ideas in his head I can see your view but I think the boss and backroom staff and players will play a big role in that side,sorry if I was a bit off the mark mate !

Reactions: ao2
Dear Alfie

Cheers
Backward, insular and regressive is Scotland under its current leadership.

Make up your mind, mate.
You accuse the English of sweeping it under the rug in one post and now you’re telling us they make Stadium announcements?
You can’t get much more out in the open than a fucking ear blasting PA system on full volume.

He's not black? I must be colour blind could've swore he was.

Pundits are highlighting the racist abuse he received and will continue to receive? Are you smoking crack?

"It's a bit embarrassing crying xenophobia and racism when fans can't get his race right"

What a disgusting comment, are you implying with your "crying" talk that we're making it up?

And are you saying that indigenous people can't be black? If so why the fcuk are you?

And the Scottish pundits and other clubs fans highlighting the racism (or maybe that should be "crying" ?) who the fcuk are they?

Pathetic comment on so many levels. Pathetic.

Back