Interview with Entracht Frankfurt fan about the Final very similar to ours - Rangers Review

rfc4ever

INTERVIEW

Horrifying Frankfurt fan experience in Seville detailed as Rangers nightmare matched amid kiosk chaos​

Eintracht Frankfurt fan Stephan Dittl was worried, and not just about the football.
In the baking 35 degree heat, his friend had disappeared and not returned.
Feeling ill from dehydration and the effects of exposure to the sun, the buddy had departed to get some fluids.
That had now been a concerning amount of time ago.
The lack of water had clearly taken a devastating toll because there’s no way an Eintracht Frankfurt die-hard of many years would miss this one lightly.
European finals don't come along every year after all.
With a shake of the head, Dittl laments: “It was the game of his life and he couldn’t even watch it.”
If Rangers fans have been wondering about conditions in their Europa League final rival's half of the stadium, the lawyer is here to explain just how bad things would get.
His story will likely feel rather familiar.
It begins with searches and moving through the stadium’s ring of steel security cordon.
He said: “The search was quite strict and it was two searches. You had one after the first barrier. After our mobile ticket was activated you had the first search and then you went directly to the stadium.
“Then there was another search. They found a lot.
“They took nothing from me. I only had small things and it was no problem.”
Many have wondered if Frankfurt fans faced as rigorous a search policy as those from Glasgow given the Germans were able to put on a spectacular pyrotechnic display in the second half.
Dittl puts it down to the long-established ingenuity of the Ultras and suspects the flares were stashed in the stadium at some point prior to the game.
“I don’t know how they did it! They are the same in Frankfurt (where pyro is not allowed) and nobody knows how they get it in.
“Probably they find people who deposit it before, but I don’t know.
“A friend of mine who is a smoker brought two lighters with him and they found one...”
While the fastidious nature of the searches were unpleasant, the real problem with the organisation of this game lay with the total lack of enough drinking water given the heat.
The vast majority of the food units remained shuttered in the Rangers end and it was the same on the ground’s opposite side.
Dittl recalled: “When we arrived the kiosks were closed. Some guys told me they were selling drinks then closed it down. This was 40 minutes before the start of the game.
“In the beginning, it was no big deal because I’d drank something before coming in but before long one of my friends began feeling sick. He said he wanted to go and look for some fluids. He came back after 30 minutes and hadn’t found anything but was told they would open kiosks at half-time.
“Five minutes later, he left to go so he would be the very first one at the kiosk when it opened. At half-time and we noticed some people had come back with water but there was no sign of him.
“We were wondering why he didn’t return and he sent us a message saying he was so ill he had to go to a doctor. There were some medical help stations at the stadium. He went there and he said he was staying and didn’t know if he was coming back or not.
“He was feeling really ill. All through a lack of water.”
And this poor fan wasn’t the only one starting to succumb to unrelenting thirst.
“When one of my friends went outside to look for him he realised there was such a lot of people standing in front of the kiosks that he told us there was no chance of us getting anything.
“So we stood for 90 minutes with no fluids and by that time I was really aching for water.
“I went to find some and I was standing before the kiosk and it was closed again. The stewards said they were really sorry but they couldn’t help. I wasn’t the only one. There were 10 or 20 people shouting at them that they needed something to drink. I have never experienced something like this before.
“Some people were coming out of the toilets. They had been looking to use taps to refill their bottles but the water had stopped.
"I went back to my seat and it was quite crazy because after two minutes some people appeared with water. I asked where they got it and they said outside at the kiosk. I went back and it was still closed.
"I tried to ask what was going on and someone pointed at a package and said it was water. They stood it in front of the crowd and people were like animals getting the water. It was like a fight to get some. In one minute the water was all gone.
“Then suddenly a door opened and some police arrived walking next to a carriage with some more packs. Stewards and police were taking good care of it and were moving it to the next kiosk down. All the people were following closely behind. They went to this other kiosk and somehow, I ended up in the first row.
“The police told us to get back and said ‘Don’t you dare come close to us.’
“People were telling the kiosk staff they would pay €100 for the package of bottles. They were saying, ‘you don’t need to unpack them, just give us the case.’ Everybody would have been prepared to pay anything to get the water.
“These young workers began unpacking it but they were so slow. Everybody told them to rush but they didn’t.
“Then they tried to open the kiosk but it didn’t work. The cash machine wasn’t functioning. We were yelling at the police but we were not quite sure if we were going to get arrested if you did one thing too much.
“I knew the game was going on and I was thinking, ‘Am I going to miss a goal here?’.
“They ended up taking cash just to get started. He told me it was €3 a bottle but when I said I wanted two bottles he said they had no change so I just took three bottles and said to keep the change on a €10 note.
“I was quite happy to get back with three bottles and we drank them in a minute. That helped and the rest of the game was fine.”
As was the case for many Rangers fans, it wasn’t an easy fix outside the ground to quickly hydrate after departing the stadium.
He said: “After the game it was late. There was a lot of people around so we decided to take side streets in the hope of finding a little shop. We struggled because everything was closed.
“In one street a very nice woman opened her window and gave us some water in plastic cups.
“She didn’t want any money. She had heard about the problem.
“A lot of people gave her some money anyway just because it was so nice of her.
"That was the first water some people had got for hours.“
Dittl, a lecturer in sports law at a Frankfurt University, believes the collegiate nature of the rivalry between the two sets of fans was the saving grace that prevented serious trouble.
He added: “It was really friendly. There was no problem between the two sets of fans at all.
“That was the best thing that could have happened for this game because if it had been rivals, the situation could have been a bigger problem.”
The Rangers Review understands that a number of prominent fans in Frankfurt are investigating the possibility of a joint legal action against UEFA to hold the governing body's feet to the fire for their inept handling of the game.
Aware that difficulties occurred in both ends, individuals involved have reached out to prominent Rangers fans to join in the potential action as they decide which is the best legal route to pursue.

I for one hope that a joint law suit drags UEFAs ass over the coals for this!

Sounds like it was the same no matter where in the stadium you were. Except for UEFA and their sponsors of course

Its no doubt been said many times, but being unable to get a drink in the sweltering heat or be able to wash your hands at the tail end of a pandemic is nothing short of disgraceful

Last edited:
No running water in the toilets is a huge public Health and Safety issue.

An angle not to be overlooked in any complaint
100% correct, I’ve worked in an office that the running water stopped working and as soon as that happened and the toilets could no longer be flushed etc we were all sent home for the day, granted much more difficult to do that with a Europa Cup Final going on but the venue should never been chosen in the first place if it couldn’t cope when at capacity.

As someone who has innocently ended up in hospital and will be in pain for the next two/three weeks due to those incompetent barristers UEFA. My better half just said think the carnage that could have happened if we would have won on those potential death steps!

It seems, as a fan, we've made a friend in Eintracht but would both clubs be willing to lobby UEFA on these issues? I doubt a civil law suit would get anywhere against UEFA. It would drag on for years and be almost an impossible amount of money.

I doubt anything will ever be done besides UEFA doing something quietly to ensure it isn't repeated at future finals. They will acknowledge the H&S issues because that would be admitting it.

Absolute disgrace.. spoilt a lot of the game for the majority of our fans and the Frankfurt fan's, if a European final had been held in Britain with no kiosks open and a crumbling stadium then uefa would be shouting from the roof tops about how inept we were and would be issuing fines and threat's of no more finals, They need to be held accountable, also, what about the over zealous policing and all the charger's and other belongings that were taken from fan's.. shocking..

When we were finally able to buy water they charged us 5 euros a bottle when it said 3 on the board. People were handing over 30/40 euros to pals in the queue asking to get as much water as you can carry. Probably pocketing the profit.

It seems, as a fan, we've made a friend in Eintracht but would both clubs be willing to lobby UEFA on these issues? I doubt a civil law suit would get anywhere against UEFA. It would drag on for years and be almost an impossible amount of money.

I doubt anything will ever be done besides UEFA doing something quietly to ensure it isn't repeated at future finals. They will acknowledge the H&S issues because that would be admitting it.
Politicians from here and Frankfurt should be asking on supporters behalf as they should be anytime their citizens are being treated so appallingly
Clubs and fans will get nowhere but being in the firing line of politicians will
If there had been trouble amongst both supports they would have been shoving each other out the road to get in front of the cameras to have a go

It was inhumane how we were treated.

Even after we got out there was almost no where opened to buy anything from outside the stadium, not a single catering van and the few places that had remained open naturally had massive queues.

Entire stadium experience was shambolic, searched going in taking my battery pack off me then at next search just before entering stadium they wanted to take my sun cream.
Could not believe the length of the queues at kiosks but as I had ages to wait for KO thought I may as well wait in line as it was still too warm to go to my seat.
Waited for over an hour in line and was still nowhere near getting served before news came back that they had run out of everything.
Noticed the amount of people drinking tap water and I did rinse my mouth out but I was not drinking that.
Then tried to find seat, no stewards at all around.
The cops had now congregated around the top of the stairs as you enter stadium and would not move, everyone had to walk around them.
My seat was a death trap, had to be grabbed by guy next to me at one point or I was taking a big fall and had to grab the guy in front of me a couple of times or he would have fallen as well.
I must have went 6hrs without anything to drink.

UEFA and the people responsible for shutting off the water inside the stadium need to be held to account for their actions

Our club doctor had to provide CPR ffs to a Rangers fan before KO

Rangers FC and EF FC should jointly demand action from UEFA and the local authorities

It’s not good enough

People collapsing due to lack of water or drinks then turning off the water to toilets is scandalous

If anyone had died that is manslaughter

Have Rangers publicly commented on the situation ?

I’ve not seen anything

Also the local police confiscated personal items on the UEFA a approved list such as the power banks, AirPods etc and also some women were subject to inappropriate searches by the police which cannot go unchallenged

I think I must have went about 6 hours without a drink in that heat. My head was absolutely banging.
When we came out the stadium I was actually at the point of looking at discarded bottles on the ground. By chance I found an unopened bottle of water that I shared with my son, it was roasting but was the best water I’ve ever had in my life. It was nearly 4 in the morning when I got back to Albufeira and that was the first time I had gone to the toilet in nearly 12 hours - that’s how dehydrated I was was.

“That was the best thing that could have happened for this game because if it had been rivals, the situation could have been a bigger problem.”
a mate who went to the game said there would have almost certainly have been some serious injuries and maybe fatalities if the clubs had people who wanted to fight

it will be interesting to see how the Roma/Feyenoord game matches up as those clubs have ultras who are going to be packed into an even smaller stadium

@Greg Marshall apart from your tweet on the night why has the club still been silent on this almost a full week on? Surely must be taking some sort of grievance up with uefa?! Not even a short holding statement to say the club are engaging and will update in due course?

There was plenty of water in the main stand where all the club people were sitting would be feeling on why there has been silence from rangers.

I read on here someone say the rangers fans booed the first penalty then stopped. Looking back I booed all 5but with more gusto on 1st and 5th. There was actually a thought process I was so gasping for a drink with a sore voice that it was too irritating on

I read on here someone say the rangers fans booed the first penalty then stopped. Looking back I booed all 5but with more gusto on 1st and 5th. There was actually a thought process I was so gasping for a drink with a sore voice that it was too irritating on

After the Aribo goal I had to give up the singing as I had spewed and was dizzy, drained and sore. I kept needing a seat.

Terrible conditions with no water.

There was plenty of water in the main stand where all the club people were sitting would be feeling on why there has been silence from rangers.

I have been a huge fan of the board in general since 2016, but the last 12-18 months makes me think they actually dislike the rank and file fan

It was a scandalous situation, we were in from 7pm, and there was no fluids in the upper tier and it was a death trap in general with the steepness and lack of room between bucket seats and a drop to the next row.

Here is my question for Rangers though, they couldn't open Ibrox because staff were in Seville making sure fans were safe, so did they do any pre game checks? Did they check if Kiosks would be open and how many? Did they ask for Stock numebers? Why no Rangers officials liasing inside the stands when this was happening, once the horse had bolted?

As for SLO, From the moment we made the final, he has proven himself to be utterly useless, devoid of information and ignoring fans bar the odd tweet before dissapearing, as someone who has stuck up for him , in person at times and once in Porto when he was getting dogs abuse, his attitude during this time has been similar to the boards, he doesn't care about the fans in general, just ignore them they will go away, but will still spunk money, seems to be the attitude from the board and SLO.

The silence from the club, the lack of pre game checks, the lack of communication is an utter disgrace.

I have been a huge fan of the board in general since 2016, but the last 12-18 months makes me think they actually dislike the rank and file fan

It was a scandalous situation, we were in from 7pm, and there was no fluids in the upper tier and it was a death trap in general with the steepness and lack of room between bucket seats and a drop to the next row.

Here is my question for Rangers though, they couldn't open Ibrox because staff were in Seville making sure fans were safe, so did they do any pre game checks? Did they check if Kiosks would be open and how many? Did they ask for Stock numebers? Why no Rangers officials liasing inside the stands when this was happening, once the horse had bolted?

As for SLO, From the moment we made the final, he has proven himself to be utterly useless, devoid of information and ignoring fans bar the odd tweet before dissapearing, as someone who has stuck up for him , in person at times and once in Porto when he was getting dogs abuse, his attitude during this time has been similar to the boards, he doesn't care about the fans in general, just ignore them they will go away, but will still spunk money, seems to be the attitude from the board and SLO.

The silence from the club, the lack of pre game checks, the lack of communication is an utter disgrace.

The fact I never seen 1 rangers member of staff from getting kettled 100m from the stadium, through two checkpoints and in to ground is a complete joke. All too busy enjoying the paid jolly to care about the welfare of the fans

The fact I never seen 1 rangers member of staff from getting kettled 100m from the stadium, through two checkpoints and in to ground is a complete joke. All too busy enjoying the paid jolly to care about the welfare of the fans

I saw a few after the first line to go into the top tier, but weren't going in, seemed to just be standing at the side as the cops chucked everything bar your phone in the bin.

When we were finally able to buy water they charged us 5 euros a bottle when it said 3 on the board. People were handing over 30/40 euros to pals in the queue asking to get as much water as you can carry. Probably pocketing the profit.
The whole idea of holding a final in baking temperatures and charging anything for water stinks. I'm guessing that's Seville and their caterers pocketing. UEFA are massively rich and fans paid plenty for tickets. It would have cost 30k euros to give everyone a litre of water. We get fined that for throwing paper balls on the park! The best thing here is for national associations to put pressure on UEFA. I imagine the SFA will do fukk all.

Is there a Board member who has fan welfare and fan relations designated as part of his role?

We don't need 1872 on the board we just need a current member who is responsible for everything from disabled issues through to ensuring better ticketing and fan involvement in creating an atmosphere. Even a temporary assignment who did nothing else other than understand how our fans can be a great asset rather than a money cow would be welcome. We are in the dark ages compared to Frankfurt.

Uefa do not care about the fans, period. They only care about money and freebies for their corporate pals and sponsors. What occurred to both sets of fans was a disgrace and an insult. Exploited for their money then left to fend for themselves. Uefa should be pulled up for their total disdain of fans. Questions need to be asked why that stadium was picked, why amenities like water were shut off, and why a basic necessity like water was not able to be purchased in a stadium and country that was benefiting from a massive economic boost.

I was unfortunately in the Frankfurt end and it was every bit as bad as descriptions I've seen of the Rangers end. UEFA failed spectactuarly in this game, right from the selection of stadium. It was like going back 50 years in every respect. There needs to be a full investigation of the causes and it should never happen again. There also needs to be accountability. How that is brought about I don't know. I assume both clubs need to make a joint strong complaint and demand action. It will be too easy just to let all this slide.

Why were the Spanish Police taking items of the fans in the first place?
Things like water and sunscreen are essentials in that kind of heat, did they think they would be used as missiles , so why not take your loose change and your mobile too these can also be thrown in anger, who gave them the authority to do this what is the Head of Police Operations on the night saying about this did he/she advise of this action or was Plod just having a laugh looking for a reaction from either sets of fans for perks of the job battering innocent civillians, I think the POLICE are a lot more to blame than the so called UEFA reps inside the Stadium they must have a blue print/checklist for finals and ensure all set up and organised ....stewards in place, kiosks open and well stocked etc.
Just like Manchester someone must have gave the order to switch off the water supply (instead of the big screen).
Absolute shambles but no one (so far ) has spoken out including the Board or any MP/MSP I don't count the SNP in that as they will want to be besties with Spain and not rock the boat should they become Indy members of the EU and look to dine out on paella!
Where are these mystery UEFA observers ? Did they not see the horrendous state of that ground and have they filed a report on their observations on the night as heads must roll for this shitshow.

I won’t repeat everything else but just for context around the police response to fans in genuine distress. During the game, my 17yo son and I were taking it in turns to check if water was available. We got a hold of a couple of plastic cups and he went to the toilets for some tap water. A scumbag cop stood in front of the sinks, as he tried to reach round to get to the tap, the inhuman lowlife scumbag rapped him across the hand with his baton and told him to get out. He was shaking like a leaf when he returned to his seat and told me what had happened. Im still shaking with anger when I think about it now, the most difficult thing to take is there was absolutely fcuk all I could do about it that wouldn’t have resulted in me being arrested and battered and him left on his own a couple of 100miles from Malaga late at night.

I won’t repeat everything else but just for context around the police response to fans in genuine distress. During the game, my 17yo son and I were taking it in turns to check if water was available. We got a hold of a couple of plastic cups and he went to the toilets for some tap water. A scumbag cop stood in front of the sinks, as he tried to reach round to get to the tap, the inhuman lowlife scumbag rapped him across the hand with his baton and told him to get out. He was shaking like a leaf when he returned to his seat and told me what had happened. Im still shaking with anger when I think about it now, the most difficult thing to take is there was absolutely fcuk all I could do about it that wouldn’t have resulted in me being arrested and battered and him left on his own a couple of 100miles from Malaga late at night.
Fvcking horrible scumbag thugs. That’s as low as it gets.
UEFA and the Spanish Police simply can’t walk away from this unpunished.
I hope Rangers and Frankfurt drag them through the courts and fvcking ruin them.

Last edited:

Brilliant post, especially the question for Rangers 3rd paragraph. The club has a duty to follow up on this, they have a great opportunity to engage with the opposition as well as both sets of fans are fully aligned on this. We entered the stadium around 18:10, never seen anyone from the club at the security barriers or entry points but accept they may well have been there. I certainly didn’t see anyone from the club in the Rangers end behind the goals. Surely if they were there as club employees and official observers they would have placed people in with the main concentration of Rangers fans during the game?

I was unfortunately in the Frankfurt end and it was every bit as bad as descriptions I've seen of the Rangers end. UEFA failed spectactuarly in this game, right from the selection of stadium. It was like going back 50 years in every respect. There needs to be a full investigation of the causes and it should never happen again. There also needs to be accountability. How that is brought about I don't know. I assume both clubs need to make a joint strong complaint and demand action. It will be too easy just to let all this slide.

I hope we do that but ultimately we will just end up getting banned by them for some minor offence as a way of getting back at us.

Give it a week and it will be move along nothing to see here.
It's not as if we have any real journalists that'll chase this to the Nth degree. As someone else said above, I think if this was a septic or Scotland game, Nippy and the rest would maybe forget about Boris having a few beers and be all over this with her pet SMSM.

Back