And so it begins. Man u and liverpool in talks over euro league

i have predicted this for a while. i think it will cause ripples which will lead to a british league. its the compelling event that drives the EPL to need a fresh injection.

I’d love for this to happen.

Would open up a great conversation for us.

Any tier below would be dying to have us involved in some capacity. We would be a huge commercial pull.

No way any teams that play in this would play in their domestic league too. 30 games in the Mickey Mouse Euro Super Duper League in addition to 38 games in the domestic league? What about the FA Cup, Coppa Italia, Copa Del Rey, etc? Do they play in them too? They'd be looking at 75-80 games in a season.

Would set a precedent for cross border league competition. The 'elite' teams go ahead and a Great Britain league fills the EPL vacuum, either that or a European League 1, 2, 3 and 4 with relegation/promotion.

The legal wrangling will go on for years, this FIFA tournament will kill off the CL, UEFAs cash cow, they won’t stand for that.

Leicester maybe as they have a big catchment area, but Rangers and celtic would ultimately be miles bigger than these teams with a level TV deal
Wolves and Leicester aren't getting invited to a European super league ffs. Nobody wants to see them. It's the man u's and Liverpools that drive English TV money, the rest are fortunate to ride on their coat tails.

Man Utd start to struggle, and have no real direction in the league, and all a sudden they are talking about league designs at home and in Europe. Normally the signs that not only on the pitch things are bad, off the pitch might be coming back to bite them.

Domestic football in England is dead, has been for a long time but European football isn’t much better either, with the exception of possibly the bundesliga, most leagues are stale and boring. European football for most clubs in Europe keeps things going, and now the rich clubs are going to take the joy away from every other club for their own ends.

Football will eat itself alive due to the greed and preening from fifa. I hope it dies on its arse to be honest.
This fad will fade away when they all get bored and the investors start looking at the newly formed or newly thriving leagues that these greedy bastards have left behind.

If rangers can directly benefit from the idiots who plan to leave then great, so be it, but the so called big clubs in Europe are dragging the rest down because of the greed they have.

Football will implode, this is just the beginning.

I hope they just f**k off and leave everyone to it. Any real football fan of these clubs should boycott it and support their local team and let them jolly round the world parading themselves like the Harlem Globetrotters making an easy buck from superficial fans. The rest of us can get back to proper football with proper fans, the way football is meant to be. AMF.

As much as it might be interesting to see all the top clubs in a league together I think I’d lose interest in football a bit.

It just wouldn’t feel right not having Liverpool in the English prem or Barca in Spain etc.

European Super League pops up frequently, Big clubs are just backing UEFA and their own FA's into a corner ahead of the next negotiations on European TV deals etc. Current one runs until end of 2023/24 season.

Currently a big team is guaranteed only 6 European group games and any knockout games they qualify for.

This league idea is probably leverage to get more guaranteed champions league games with expanded groups come the new deal.

Begins?

They’ve been talking about this for decades and it’s never amounted to anything other than leverage for negotiating the next Champions League deal.

I don’t expect this to be any different.

Domestic football in England is dead, has been for a long time but European football isn’t much better either, with the exception of possibly the bundesliga, most leagues are stale and boring. European football for most clubs in Europe keeps things going, and now the rich clubs are going to take the joy away from every other club for their own ends.

Football will eat itself alive due to the greed and preening from fifa. I hope it dies on its arse to be honest.
This fad will fade away when they all get bored and the investors start looking at the newly formed or newly thriving leagues that these greedy bastards have left behind.

If Rangers can directly benefit from the idiots who plan to leave then great, so be it, but the so called big clubs in Europe are dragging the rest down because of the greed they have.

Football will implode, this is just the beginning.

Because the finances have ruined it along with corruption from the self serving blazers.

Just how much more money do these teams need? The money in the Premiership is incredible and yet their appetite for more seems insatiable. It's ridiculous.

Man U are not the team they have been but they are still the name everyone wants to see and for this factor there is every chance that Rangers and the Scum could be invited to this. 18 team in a PL followed by an 18 team Championship would be good IMO. Looking at the teams these are the 1s that I think are guaranteed:
Man U
Liverpool
Chelsea
Man City
Arsenal/Spurs
Bayern
Dortmund
Inter
Juventus
A.C
Real
Barca
PSG
That leaves 5 more teams for the leagues used or additional leagues of The Netherlands, Portugal, Scotland, Greece and Turkey.

Even if it wasn't to go down that road and only 18 teams from the big 5 leagues having it then it will mean all other countries would look at forming leagues similar. This could have huge potential for us and may allow us to break away from Doncaster and his cronies but it wont happen without the 2nd best team in Glasgow joining us as the TV stations will want the Old Firm.

That doesn't read as a new European league to me - just a change to the European competition, i.e. scrapping the CL in favour of this. Whether it's a closed shop or not will be interesting to see. In realty, the last 16 of the CL is basically the same teams anyway, so get rid of them and make the CL interesting again.

I don't think it would change much for us going forward (other than possibly better CL representation), but it could well be the stepping stone to the big teams abandoning their domestic league entirely years down the line.

The report on Sky News states it's not intended to be a breakaway league.
It has to have some kind of significant, meaningful competition. If it doesn't no one will care for it. I can only see this idea have appeal if it absolutely is a breakaway league.

Man U are not the team they have been but they are still the name everyone wants to see and for this factor there is every chance that Rangers and the Scum could be invited to this. 18 team in a PL followed by an 18 team Championship would be good IMO. Looking at the teams these are the 1s that I think are guaranteed:
Man U
Liverpool
Chelsea
Man City
Arsenal/Spurs
Bayern
Dortmund
Inter
Juventus
A.C
Real
Barca
PSG
That leaves 5 more teams for the leagues used or additional leagues of The Netherlands, Portugal, Scotland, Greece and Turkey.

Even if it wasn't to go down that road and only 18 teams from the big 5 leagues having it then it will mean all other countries would look at forming leagues similar. This could have huge potential for us and may allow us to break away from Doncaster and his cronies but it wont happen without the 2nd best team in Glasgow joining us as the TV stations will want the Old Firm.
They would put more tears from the big leagues in before even contemplating us

It is not thought that any of the English clubs has yet signed legally binding terms to join, and it was unclear which member of the so-called "big six" would miss out if only five are ultimately involved.

:D :D

Aye OK.

“Hello Mr Infantino, it’s Daniel Levy here...

<click>

Hello?.....”

They would put more tears from the big leagues in before even contemplating us
I get what you are saying but I think this is where the TV companies would step in and lets be honest more people would watch Rangers vs Man U than Arsenal vs A.C.

Football out with Rangers has been brutal to watch these last few years.

I attribute that to the money bandied about, and unfortunately reshaping the leagues will be driven to make the rich clubs richer.

Can only hope any changes benefit Rangers in some manner.
The CL has already gone stale for me and they need to do away with this crazy seeding system,that would liven it up a bit as you'd get the bigger teams coming up against one another sooner. Don't these idiots realise there's a pandemic ravaging the planet and as long as there's no supporters, it'll be doomed anyway. I see UEFA are dead against it and I think the novelty will wear off. As I said the CL has gone stale what makes them think that clubbing the same teams together will make any of it better, clearly the good of the game has gone for a button.

I get what you are saying but I think this is where the TV companies would step in and lets be honest more people would watch Rangers vs Man U than Arsenal vs A.C.
Doubt it mate.
We can't compete with English teams especially due to the Asian and American Market
A game like Leicester V West Ham would probably have more worldwide viewers than an old firm game these days if they went head to head.

That doesn't read as a new European league to me - just a change to the European competition, i.e. scrapping the CL in favour of this. Whether it's a closed shop or not will be interesting to see. In realty, the last 16 of the CL is basically the same teams anyway, so get rid of them and make the CL interesting again.

I don't think it would change much for us going forward (other than possibly better CL representation), but it could well be the stepping stone to the big teams abandoning their domestic league entirely years down the line.
I agree. The most interesting thing about it is that it is backed by FIFA who seem to be totally undermining UEFA and pretty much trying to steal their income.

Funny that the same two English (American owned) teams are at the heart of this as well as the plans to reduce the number of teams in the EPL.

For the top teams playing in 2 leagues of 18 gives 68 fixtures per season which should be manageable with their massive player pools as long as the meaningless cups are scrapped.

I think that it'll happen sooner or later. :(

Doubt it mate.
We can't compete with English teams especially due to the Asian and American Market
A game like Leicester V West Ham would probably have more worldwide viewers than an old firm game these days if they went head to head.
We are going to have to agree to disagree here mate. I totally understand where you are coming from but the draw of Rangers and Celtic is still much bigger. No matter where you go in the world there will always be some sort of Rangers or Celtic supporters club.

I assume this will be a way to tell UEFA to GTF and do their own thing while continuing with domestic football as normal.

Back