Anderlecht "raided" by Police

buffalosoldier

Belgian giants Anderlecht and the country's football association have been raided by police in connection with a money-laundering investigation involving agents and player transfers.

A spokesman for the federal prosecutor said it was not linked to the 2018 probe into match-fixing and fraud.

The Belgian FA told Reuters that police had taken away documents relating to transfers from its headquarters.

Anderlecht said they were cooperating with the investigation.

The prosecutor's spokesman added: "We had some questions for the agents who took care of the transfers. It is a question of money laundering."

Anderlecht are Belgium's most successful football club, having won 34 league titles, the Uefa Cup and two Cup Winners' Cups. However, they have recently endured a difficult period having been fined and docked points when crowd trouble forced a match at arch-rivals Standard Liege to be abandoned.

They are fifth in the Belgian top flight, and could miss out on qualifying for European competition next season for the first time in 55 years.

I’ve had a real moment of Deja Vu. Didn’t this happen recently? Maye a year ago?

Been raided a few times.

Bought of a referee in a UEFA Cup semi final against Nottingham Forest.

That shows you how long they've been a morally dubious club, to put it mildly.

Isn't he German?

I remember a Belgian guy called Jurgen posting on dothebouncy.com years ago

I think hes Belgian, mate. Rangers and Royal Antwerp fan iirc, hence the 1880 in his username? Maybe I've just imagined that all along?:))

I think hes Belgian, mate. Rangers and Royal Antwerp fan iirc, hence the 1880 in his username? Maybe I've just imagined that all along?:))

Maybe he is!!!

Just assumed German since he takes to do with the bundesliga thread.

Erm... :D

The Anderlecht thing is likely linked to money laundering with transfers of players. Fulham's Mitrovic is named as one of the big names whose transfer is looked at.

Anderlecht are a club that constantly prides themselves as being 'ethical' but they're dodgy as %^*&. The Nottingham issue itself is a farce that they never got punished for it, they openly admitted later that they bribed the ref and got away with it. UEFA had the evidence for 4 years and did nothing.

Last edited:

The Anderlecht thing is likely linked to money laundering with transfers of players. Fulham's Mitrovic is named as one of the big names whose transfer is looked at.

Anderlecht are a club that constantly prides themselves as being 'ethical' but they're dodgy as %^*&. The Nottingham issue itself is a farce that they never got punished for it, they openly admitted later that they bribed the ref and got away with it. UEFA had the evidence for 4 years and did nothing.
Was Mitrovic to Newcastle the dodgy deal and did fatty know? ;)

Haven't they also been accused of being one of he clubs that let agents scour Africa for players, promise them a trial with a top Belgian club and then dump those who aren't good enough?

UEFA have never changed. Anderlecht were a massive force back when they played Forest (top of the club coefficient ranking I believe) yet nothing was done. Only look out for the big guns.

On the topic of Anderlecht, being Belgian would you say that the average Belgian football fan would see Anderlecht as a bigger club than us?

Always thought it weird that such a big name has a small stadium.

UEFA have never changed. Anderlecht were a massive force back when they played Forest (top of the club coefficient ranking I believe) yet nothing was done. Only look out for the big guns.

On the topic of Anderlecht, being Belgian would you say that the average Belgian football fan would see Anderlecht as a bigger club than us?

Always thought it weird that such a big name has a small stadium.

On the pitch they may have had more success in Europe. But off the pitch they are nothing compared to Rangers. That said, they want a bigger ground but in typical Belgian fashion it's going nowhere because everyone thinks it's good idea until it's about to happen and then they don't want a big stadium close by.
It's also fantastic that they are very likely going to miss out on any European football this season :D

Reactions: VGM
Back