Andre Gray

Maybe. I'd rather hoped Hagi was playing there until we secured a right sided forward then he'd play behind, advanced in the central 3
Me too. However it seems we are sticking wit a midfield 3 and Aribo playing advanced. So I just cant see it, although I think we need to be flexible

He proved himself as an Elite championship striker and scored 9 in his first season in the premier League with Burnley which is very good for a newly promoted side.
The question is whether Watford was just a bad fit or if he's lost all his ability. I'd say the former is more likely.

It might be nothing to do with form, and everything to do with the wrong attitude.

If we're only signing Zungu and two strikers, one of the strikers should definitely be Roofe(or ideally Kerk)

Need the versatility if we can't get competition for Hagi.

With Hagi taking this position is just dont see him or Kerk being targeted. Wonder if theres a loan deal to be had on Skov
I dont think we can rely on Hagi and Kent to play every game in their positions and never go out of form, Kent has shown his form can fall of a cliff pretty easily and quickly.

We need another player for those positions to create proper competition and push one another.

We can't stop with Kent and Hagi and think that's the best we are going to get.

He was also an England international with a huge reputation and playing for Monaco having also been successful at AC Milan. Not much different than Burnley and Brentford legend Andre Gray
Think the guy still has good quality and would do well for us

Regardless wether Gray hit it off in the EPL or not, the championship which he conquered is much higher standard than the SPL and he’s used to a higher level of standard in the leagues he’s played in. He’ll do just fine if he does come here. He’s not a past it journeyman like we’ve had before that hasn’t worked out. He’ll be hungry to come here and win. Gerrard wouldn’t allow him to come here unless he was willing to give it 100%.

Not for me but people seem to think EPL player so we should be thankful he’s coming and will score bundles.

Needless to say rarely happens but when you actually judge the player, it just doesn’t seem a good fit.
Careful, you're talking too much sense.
Won't go down well with his fanboys on here.

If, big if, Gray could find form again he would be an incredible signing, mental to think otherwise, but I’ve no idea whats happened to him at Watford.

I get that he was impressive four years ago, when he was better than he is now and our defence was a awful lot worse, but as a Watford season ticket holder, he is not what we need. I want him to leave Watford, but please, to anywhere but us.
He is not awful, but he has no great pace, poor touch and not a natural finisher. The worst bits of Morelos and Defoe combined.

I get that he was impressive four years ago, when he was better than he is now and our defence was a awful lot worse, but as a Watford season ticket holder, he is not what we need. I want him to leave Watford, but please, to anywhere but us.
He is not awful, but he has no great pace, poor touch and not a natural finisher. The worst bits of Morelos and Defoe combined.

That’s fair enough, most people are going on what he used to be like, because then he had all the things you list.

Even though you’ve not seen him play, going by your earlier question?
I remember him at Brentford.
He certainly didn't pull up any trees at Burnley. He can't get a game at relegated Watford.
People look at him being transferred for £9m and equate that to him being a good footballer.
He is nothing of the sort.

A fully fit on form Andre Gray would be a great signing.
I just think his style of play wouldn’t suit us at all mate.

We would be asking him to do things he wouldn’t be capable or comfortable doing. We’ve been there before with players of a high profile and good career behind them who have failed due to being unable to do what is required.

Not all players suit all systems and all clubs.

Gray and Rangers are not a good fit in my humble opinion.

I remember him at Brentford.
He certainly didn't pull up any trees at Burnley. He can't get a game at relegated Watford.
People look at him being transferred for £9m and equate that to him being a good footballer.
He is nothing of the sort.
Brentford was a long, long time ago. That player is not what we would be signing now.

That’s really good insight BH. A lot of us including me are basing opinions on a number of years ago so yours is much more relevant.

Really, fully fit and on form? He absolutely would be, I assume you never seen him when he was or you wouldn’t be saying that.

He’s been fully fit for most of his career with Burnley and Watford. And he’s not been on form for five years. His biggest asset which was his pace seems to have declined sharply. Other than one good championship season in 2015, I’m not sure why there would be much to celebrate about signing a 29 year old who hasn’t kicked a ball in five years that’s hated by fans of a team that was just relegated from the Premier League

My point exactly.
He's bombed everywhere he's been since then. This allied to questions on his off field living mean it's a huge no for me.
He definitely didn't bomb at Burnley and done not bad his first 2 seasons at Watford from memory. It is a bit of a gamble that he picks that form back up again but to say he only done well at Brentford is a lie.

And what questions on his off field living? Cause he made a daft tweet like 8 years ago?

He definitely didn't bomb at Burnley and done not bad his first 2 seasons at Watford from memory. It is a bit of a gamble that he picks that form back up again but to say he only done well at Brentford is a lie.

And what questions on his off field living? Cause he made a daft tweet like 8 years ago?
Look, we obviously have different opinions on the guy. I think he's poor and totally unsuited to our set up.
You are entitled to your own opinion, even if it's wrong...lol.

That’s really good insight BH. A lot of us including me are basing opinions on a number of years ago so yours is much more relevant.
I get that a child’s view is not ideal, but my 10 year old smacked his head against the table in disbelief when I said we were linked with him. His elder brother, at 15, laughed.
This is just to give you some context of how the fifa generation, who have seen Andre Gray play, view him.

We can do so much better.

Look, we obviously have different opinions on the guy. I think he's poor and totally unsuited to our set up.
You are entitled to your own opinion, even if it's wrong...lol.
I'm not questioning whether people think he suits us or if he is poor, but if he bombed at Burnley they wouldn't have sold him for £18m and he had a 1 in 4 record 2 seasons ago which isn't bad at all for Watford.

I'm not questioning whether people think he suits us or if he is poor, but if he bombed at Burnley they wouldn't have sold him for £18m and he had a 1 in 4 record 2 seasons ago which isn't bad at all for Watford.
In the English market, money has no real relevance.

Not in the market for duds though, are we?

Duds? How many of Gerrard’s signings have been fringe players for their club we signed them from? Off the top of my head, Goldson, Kent, Defoe, Barker, Bassey, Etc. Even Hagi wasn’t a regular starter for Genk.

We need to be realistic about what we can afford and the appeal of playing in Scottish football. It’s easy for us to turn our noses up at Gray, Maja etc, but what are people expecting us to be able to attract and more importantly, afford? The reality is it’s likely we will be signing people on the fringes of their team, or young untested players. People need to reel in their demands and expectations. It’s not 1999.

Duds? How many of Gerrard’s signings have been fringe players for their club we signed them from? Off the top of my head, Goldson, Kent, Defoe, Barker, Bassey, Etc. Even Hagi wasn’t a regular starter for Genk.

We need to be realistic about what we can afford and the appeal of playing in Scottish football. It’s easy for us to turn our noses up at Gray, Maja etc, but what are people expecting us to be able to attract and more importantly, afford? The reality is it’s likely we will be signing people on the fringes of their team, or young untested players. People need to reel in their demands and expectations. It’s not 1999.
I'd certainly not turn my nose up at Maja.
Gray is not for Rangers.

Back