Andre Villas Boas wants fifa to retire the number 10 from the professional game

Got to be a joking!
You could retire the rest of them then, there’s been great players in every number.

Retiring a number across all professional football is fucking insane.

Sure, he was a good football player in a few countries and won the World Cup, but beyond that there is very little to respect.

Beyond that there is little respect for Maradona?

Don’t talk utter nonsense. The guy is arguably the greatest ever player.

Villas Boas’ idea none less is mental.

YbA8VJE.gif

I hate shirt retirements.

Surely you would want it to be open so people can aspire to be a certain player. I'd hate to be, for example, an AC Milan fan as a kid knowing that I would never get to wear the number 3.

This wouldn’t be AVB following his mentor Jose’s old tactic of saying something outlandish after a game to distract from a poor performance/result ?

Stupid idea and a non starter obviously. Especially given that there's at least one number 10 better than Diego was.

In saying that, I do think clubs retiring numbers in certain situations is a fitting touch for club legends (ie. Maldini, Zanetti etc).

It's mad how much the world has changed in thirty years. When Bobby Moore died in 1993 West Ham were the only team to have a minute's silence. Now a player dies and all clubs are expected to pay tribute by retiring their numbers. It's just holier-than-thou virtue signalling.

Same with a minutes silence when anyone connected to a club dies. Its now a regular occurence. We even had a rocket on RC this week saying Celtic should have a statue for TLB and he's not dead yet. How many do they have now?

There is a lot of respect for what he did on the pitch.

I doubt there is very much respect for what he did off of it.

Exactly. I am mid 30s and never seen him play. Seen the odd clip hear and there, the most famous being an act of cheating.

He was a very troubled man and I would say everyone from my generation and younger know far more about this than his undoubted talents that put him up there as one of the greats.

Sad that he has passed at such a young age and hope he is finally at peace

Villas-Boas wasn’t great as a manager and he isn’t any better as a judge of public opinion.

Messi would have been retired at 25 if he played in the 80s

If you're playing that game then Maradona probably wouldn't have made it as a pro in this current climate due to his lack of professionalism and being off his tits.

Phil O'Donnell got a tour of Japan.

I wonder what they'll do for Marcus Rashford MBE? 1.3 million kids saved from starvation despite the fact that childhood obesity is a serious and increasing problem. He'll need more than a statue. Perhaps on obolisk or a pyramid? That's assuming BLM dont find something in his background that panders to our imperial and colonial history.

Back