Andre Villas Boas wants fifa to retire the number 10 from the professional game

I wonder what they'll do for Marcus Rashford MBE? 1.3 million kids saved from starvation despite the fact that childhood obesity is a serious and increasing problem. He'll need more than a statue. Perhaps on obolisk or a pyramid? That's assuming BLM dont find something in his background that panders to our imperial and colonial history.
Candles?

Just their highest goalscorer of all time.

Luckily in '86 Maradona had teammates who could score in the final. Messi had Higuain the bottler.
As again Maradona won World Cups Messi won't, ask the Argentina people How's the Greatest
Just their highest goalscorer of all time.

Luckily in '86 Maradona had teammates who could score in the final. Messi had Higuain the bottler.

In this case we should retire the number 1 for Lev Yashin as he is the only goalkeeper to win the Euro Player of the Year. What number did Pele and Zico wear, retire that also. While we are here we might as well toss in the number Bobby Moore wore. Hundreds of other numbers need retired also.

Maradona was still the greatest of all time but.

FFS I've heard it all now, what a roaster. Has Paul Elliot told his Maradona story yet? I bet he has one. If there aint a tim somewhere wanting a tribute , candle lit vigil or hymns sung, I'll bite ma own shite.

Should never happen,I think he has been caught up in the moment and felt it would be a nice if somewhat irrational gesture.

Beyond that there is little respect for Maradona?

Don’t talk utter nonsense. The guy is arguably the greatest ever player.

Villas Boas’ idea none less is mental.
It's not nonsense though is it, he denied the birth of his own child, was a rampant coke addict and heavy drinker, treated his partner like shite and was closely linked to the camorra, apart from that he is a great guy though.

It's not nonsense though is it, he denied the birth of his own child, was a rampant coke addict and heavy drinker, treated his partner like shite and was closely linked to the camorra, apart from that he is a great guy though.

He was a flawed genius, just like Gazza who equally has had his problems.

Hands down the GOAT for me.

But retiring the no10, Argentina mibbes.

He was a flawed genius, just like Gazza who equally has had his problems.

Hands down the GOAT for me.

But retiring the no10, Argentina mibbes.

There is no way the number 10 should be retired but the post I was referencing said that outside of football he should be respected, there is a valid argument to say he shouldn't.

Take the above and apply them to any SPL player and I guarantee they’d be labelled a scumbag. Serious levels of hypocrisy going on here, I’ve been reading how we all make mistakes but then I’ve seen players who’ve made fewer and lesser mistakes torn to shreds here.

Anyway, regardless of his character he’ll forever be remembered in sporting circles as one of, if not the greatest footballer in the history of the sport. He’ll surely go down as the most iconic that’s for sure; I can’t think of another player who became a cultural and political icon in his country and whose death would result in the announcement of 3 days of national mourning, I doubt anything like that will ever happen again.

Take the above and apply them to any SPL player and I guarantee they’d be labelled a scumbag. Serious levels of hypocrisy going on here, I’ve been reading how we all make mistakes but then I’ve seen players who’ve made fewer and lesser mistakes torn to shreds here.

Anyway, regardless of his character he’ll forever be remembered in sporting circles as one of, if not the greatest footballer in the history of the sport. He’ll surely go down as the most iconic that’s for sure; I can’t think of another player who became a cultural and political icon in his country and whose death would result in the announcement of 3 days of national mourning, I doubt anything like that will ever happen again.
I personally would never argue against him being the best of all time, he is in my opinion without doubt the best. As a character, he is questionable that's all I'm saying here.

Retiring a number across all professional football is fucking insane.

Sure, he was a good football player in a few countries and won the World Cup, but beyond that there is very little to respect.
"he was a good player" , that's like saying Clapton can strum a little or Sinatra was Karaoke ffs.

I get the impression a lot of posters on this thread are too young to have seen Maradona at his best or have only seen his "hand of god" goal. Which makes me feel fcking old.

Retiring the number is a load of "take the knee" style shite btw.

Stupid idea and a non starter obviously. Especially given that there's at least one number 10 better than Diego was.
NINTCHDBPICT000460721791-e1572121334395.jpg

I get the impression a lot of posters on this thread are too young to have seen Maradona at his best or have only seen his "hand of god" goal. Which makes me feel fcking old.

Retiring the number is a load of "take the knee" style shite btw.
You’ve done well to work that jibe into a completely unrelated thread. Bravo sir

Don't be so stupid. One of the best players ever, if not the best, but that is just nonsense talking about retiring a number across all competitions. If clubs he played for want to do that then fine but not an overall.

If he was a great guy as well as being the best player , then maybe retire the number 10 for international teams only .
On a side note , Wayne Gretzky , #99 . Should be a number retired across all sports

Exactly. I am mid 30s and never seen him play. Seen the odd clip hear and there, the most famous being an act of cheating.

He was a very troubled man and I would say everyone from my generation and younger know far more about this than his undoubted talents that put him up there as one of the greats.

Sad that he has passed at such a young age and hope he is finally at peace
So you never seen the other goal scored in that game where he ripped the England right flank to shreds which included Rangers players in it at the time?

It's mad how much the world has changed in thirty years. When Bobby Moore died in 1993 West Ham were the only team to have a minute's silence. Now a player dies and all clubs are expected to pay tribute by retiring their numbers. It's just holier-than-thou virtue signalling.
Birmingham retired Jude Bellinghams number when he got transferred to Dortmund? he was 17 and played a handful of games for them ffs.
Re Bobby Moore i find that just wrong ,that man should have had the respect of a country.

Ridiculous idea, he was one of the greatest ever, but not without his problems that entered football too, such as getting sent home from the 94 World Cup for positive drug test. He’s not a role model!

Retiring a number across all professional football is fucking insane.

Sure, he was a good football player in a few countries and won the World Cup, but beyond that there is very little to respect.

Spoken like a true millennial.

Retiring the number 10 is crazy mind you.

Think AVB has probably got caught up in the moment a bit.

However, I wouldn’t be surprised to see Argentina and maybe even Napoli do this. Such was his greatness.

Back