Andrea Agnelli says agreement on 'ideal' new-look Champions League is close

Jelle1880

Agreement on a new “ideal” Champions League is imminent, according to the man who represents Europe’s biggest clubs, which may put pressure on the Premier League to reduce its fixture list in future if it is to benefit.

Andrea Agnelli, the chairman of the European Clubs Association, said on Monday he expects a reshaped Champions League to be agreed within weeks. The Juventus president wants an expanded competition to be just the start of wide-ranging reforms at the top of the game that could mean the overall number of domestic games in England is reduced and a ban on transfers between elite sides.

Uefa is expected to ratify plans for an expanded Champions League of 36 teams, with each club playing 10 group matches in a “Swiss system” that would see them ranked in a single league table. This would bring an end to recurring rumours of a breakaway Super League, something Agnelli says he has always been keen to avoid.

“I think we’re very close to my ideal Champions League, I think the Swiss system is beautiful,” he said. “I think it will provide great opportunities for those teams participating in that competition. It will provide the knockouts that are the essence of any competition. It’s very, very close to an ideal Champions League. We’re maybe just a couple of weeks away.

“My attention for quite a long time has been to make sure we find a solution with Uefa. We had fights with Alex [Uefa’s president, Alexander Ceferin] in the autumn months because we wanted to find the balance between continental and domestic competition. It’s [about] having a balanced competitive landscape.”

Agnelli, whose organisation represents 246 clubs across Europe including nine in the Premier League, says he wants the domestic calendar to take up only two thirds of any season. The Premier League have pushed back against the new Champions League proposals due to their effects on the calendar but Agnelli believes it is the larger domestic competitions, such as the English top flight, that will eventually have to compromise.

“If we look back in time the Champions League had four more games than it has today,” Agnelli said. “I think the balance that we are trying to strike is one third international [European competition] and two thirds domestic. We can take a look at the overall calendar, we have countries like England with a maximum number of games at 53, If I’m not mistaken, Germany is 43 and so is Italy.

“We do think that currently for competitive balance purposes 20 teams in leagues are too many. There is an overall element that could actually be worked out altogether in the interests of everyone.”

With the new competition not set to start until 2024, Agnelli would like any restructuring to be made in tandem with wider reform. He wants an end to financial fair play in its current form, with clubs scrutinised on their overall balance sheet rather than annual profit and loss. He also said the ECA had discussed changing the transfer system so Champions League clubs could no longer buy from or sell to each other, instead trading only with lower-ranking clubs.

“No triple-figures transfers between Champions League participating clubs maybe would [mean] focusing instead on champion players in smaller countries allowing us only to buy players there,” Agnelli said. “These are elements we are discussing but certainly cost control will be one of the biggest challenges in terms of reforms going forward.”

Agnelli also stressed that football must think of ways to attract younger viewers in an increasingly crowded marketplace. “We could imagine a subscription for the last 15 minutes of a specific game,” he said. “The attention span of today’s kids and tomorrow’s spenders is completely different to the one I had when I was their age.

“If you take golf, if it’s interesting at all, it’s only the last six holes on the final day. You are not going to watch the whole thing on the TV unless you are a hardcore fan.”

Agnelli can go and %^*& himself.

So whats the thinking here, hoping that less clubs from the big leagues get put out before the knockouts?

"Uefa is expected to ratify plans for an expanded Champions League of 36 teams, with each club playing 10 group matches in a “Swiss system” that would see them ranked in a single league table."

Sounds pish.

How can a guy who is the president of Juventus and presumably intelligent to get to where he is in the game think that they’re going to get a rule through that goes against employment laws?

Bosman must be pissing himself reading the end of that.

"Uefa is expected to ratify plans for an expanded Champions League of 36 teams, with each club playing 10 group matches in a “Swiss system” that would see them ranked in a single league table."

Sounds pish.
The guaranteed games would be unreal for smaller nation clubs like ourselves,

Reactions: VGM
Those transfer reforms would finally kill off football.

The big sides already stockpile the best youths from around the continent.

The "B Tier" clubs not part of this group of 10 or so clubs that want a monopoly of European trophies need to finally tell these folks to go %^*& themselves. The competition should be structured to maximise competition that's what fans want ffs, not subscriptions for the last 15 minutes of games or being able to predict 7 of the last 8 teams left in August.

Folk are bored of the CL because it's basically the same tournament every year with the same clubs competing in the later stages.

UEFA were scared when clubs threatened to breakaway and set up a European super league, separate to UEFA, so they just slowly turned the Champions League into one instead to give them what they wanted and keep everyone inside the tent.

Don't know why they just don't go back to having a second group stage if they want more games between the 'elite' sides.

I quite liked that format of the Champions League.

I don't mind the idea of a bit of a longer league format tbh.

the transfer and final 15 minutes of each game thing is fucking dugshite though.

The Europa is far better to watch than the Champions League. Teams really go for it and the games are more entertaining. More competitive.

Look to the exciting exploits of Rangers the last 2 years and the cricket scores racked up by the mentally challengeds this season, Thursday night entertainment at its finest.

Finish below a team in a league that gets through to the knockout - but they have played 10 random games completely different to the 10 you played.

Utter mince.
I don't think it works like that, surely teams play the same amount of fixtures against teams from pot 1, 2, 3, 4 etc and whoever is in the top 8 with the most points goes into the knockouts

When the chairman from an elite European clubs wants to change the existing structure of a tournament - and has the backing of chairmen from other elite European clubs - it's to benefit them, and no one else. Ask the chairmen of clubs from Sweden, Belgium, Norway and Denmark to get involved and you'll see some very different takes on what the Champions' League can do to improve.

I also don't know how this is going to solve any of the problems that it currently has - the group stage format has grown stale, if only because the two top teams always make it through, and the teams lucky enough to make it usually don't get beyond the last 16. This format just strikes me as a de facto super league that continues to make it similarly harder for anomalies to slip into the later stages.

He sound awful in all honesty, no doubt all about making the rich richer but who is going to want to watch a 36 team group where only 10 teams play each other

How do they think this is going to improve things? If they think there's meaningless games now this is surely only going to increase that.

The bottom line is the group stage section at times is uncompetitive. What they should be doing is getting rid of seedings from the group stage - and just make it that only teams from the same country avoid each other.

Imagine a group with Read Madrid, Manchester City, Bayern Munich and Juventus. Two would go out.

You'd then potentially have a group with four of the 'smaller' nations. It'd give some of those teams a real chance to progress far, whereas now when you qualify you're pretty much guaranteed to be up against two power houses.

What ward is this character in? I've never read such a pile of junk like that in my life.

Last 15 mins of games, just like we all watch the last 6 holes of golf. If this is the future of football, I'm out.

Finish below a team in a league that gets through to the knockout - but they have played 10 random games completely different to the 10 you played.

Utter mince.
And you presumably have 5 games at home and 5 games away and don’t have home and away against the same teams. Sounds as bad as the SPFL

The Swiss system? That powerhouse of football?
I think I'm not on my toblerown in thinking that this idea is cuckoo clocks. But who's going to William Tell those in charge of football. The consequences don't berne thinking about.
But ge neva think these things will ever happen. The big sides are zurich (so rich?:confused:) already.
Christ, I'm struggling now. I wish I hadn't started... something, something....gnomes....something.....Nazi gold....that's it, I'm out.

I think I'm not on my toblerown in thinking that this idea is cuckoo clocks. But who's going to William Tell those in charge of football. The consequences don't berne thinking about.
But ge neva think these things will ever happen. The big sides are zurich (so rich?:confused:) already.
Christ, I'm struggling now. I wish I hadn't started... something, something....gnomes....something.....Nazi gold....that's it, I'm out.
This sounds like a better option.

With Rangers and Celtic competing in Europe regularly, I think we are more than capable of maintaining a high enough ranking to ensure automatic entry. Although, I do hope there are additional spots for those champions in positions 11 and 12 to gain automatic entry. The biggest issue for me is not European competition, it is that we require reform domestically to increase the TV and Commercial revenues of a league with a potential audience which covers the whole of the UK. Without reform domestically to increase revenue streams we will always be playing catch up with the nations around our ranking.

I do agree with him on FFP reform though, as it has done nothing to prevent clubs like City and PSG buying up all the best players, nor has it helped reduce debt when you have clubs like Barcelona in debt to the tune of around $1 billion.

The guaranteed games would be unreal for smaller nation clubs like ourselves,

I believe the top 8 in the “league” would go through to the last 16 knockout automatically, and 9-25 would play off for the remaining 8 spots.

I'd rather hear more details before forming a strong opinion.

In the long run, domestic leagues are dead. I'd rather we play in some form of European league in the future. This may or may not be the answer, but it feels like a step in the right direction.

Think it’s fair to say the next cycle of European football (2021-24) will be our last chance to qualify for the CL as we know it.

I may be out here on my own, but I like the sound of using a Swiss system for the Champions League.

Reactions: VGM
Just noticed the last 15 minute thing, is this guy for real?
It's mental, but I do see what he means. My fifteen year old wont watch TV shows anymore because they are boring. If all the information can't be put into a 10 minute youtube or a thirty second tiktok then they arent interested.

it's mental to watch.

Sounds pish.
A bigger Horlicks than the SPL

“We could imagine a subscription for the last 15 minutes of a specific game,” he said. “The attention span of today’s kids and tomorrow’s spenders is completely different to the one I had when I was their age.

“If you take golf, if it’s interesting at all, it’s only the last six holes on the final day. You are not going to watch the whole thing on the TV unless you are a hardcore fan
The future of football cannot be left in the hands of people who think this way. If we have to we should kiss goodbye to the ‘big clubs’ and start anew with clubs who believe in honest competition. Let them go on their ship of fools peddling their Harlem Globetrotters vision of the game and let the rest get on with rebuilding the game from its grass roots. Reinstate the old European Cup to be competed by teams who care about tradition, their history, and true sportsmanship.

The current system works, but arseholes like Agnelli want all of the money and complete certainty that their declining teams will get access.

The only thing that needs to change is that England, Spain, Germany and Italy need fewer spaces and they need to be redistributed to other leagues Champions.

If they want to create some weird invitational league where teams like Spurs, AC Milan and Liverpool get in because they make the most revenue rather than getting there on merit, they can %^*& off and create their own version of the NFL elsewhere and let us "normal" football clubs play in a competition that makes sense.

Why is it that consensus thinking these days is that young people have the attention span of a goldfish and everything has to adapt to that ? It might be true in some aspects of life, but 30 and below are also the generation that partake in hour long binges of Netflix shows - if you like football you want more of it, not subscriptions to the last 15 minutes of games ffs. Young peoples attention span has not deteriorated to the point they are incapable of looking at a television screen for an hour and a half, it baffles me this seems to have become accepted as reality by a lot of top executives in football - I think I seen an interview with Stan Gazidis ex arsenal (current Milan?) executive where he intimated similar thoughts.

That’s not to say young peoples habits aren’t different to older generations; for example they might multi task and sit on a laptop or phone while watching the game as well, but that says that if anything they have the ability to consume more of a product at once, not that they need football dumbed down into 15 minute instalments of excitement. At that point you’re as well waiting for the highlights package !

There’s an inevitability about restructuring the champions league that means as long as our entrance to it isn’t affected, I find it hard to be passionate about any changes to it for better or worse. The ideas around how football will reach younger audiences in the feature though I truly find bemusing.

Back